Opinions on BIC Acoustech Speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 34 Old 06-01-2008, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've seen mostly rave reviews about the BIC Acoustech line of speakers. Just about 2 people here and there saying they aren't that good. I'd like to know what the general population think of the BIC Acoustech line. I know not many have heard them. I'm almost to the point of picking up a set:

HT-88 fronts
HT-85 center
HT-63 surrounds
H-100 sub

I'm coming from a 12 year old Sony HTIB set with a 10" JBL sub which is just as old and now broken.
Any thoughts are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 06-01-2008, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1DIMMER View Post

I've seen mostly rave reviews about the BIC Acoustech line of speakers. Just about 2 people here and there saying they aren't that good. I'd like to know what the general population think of the BIC Acoustech line. I know not many have heard them. I'm almost to the point of picking up a set:

HT-88 fronts
HT-85 center
HT-63 surrounds
H-100 sub

I'm coming from a 12 year old Sony HTIB set with a 10" JBL sub which is just as old and now broken.
Any thoughts are appreciated.

That setup will make your old setup look and sound like a joke and for a great price.
post #3 of 34 Old 06-01-2008, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks lilmike2069. It was your post and pictures that first turned me on to the BIC Acoustech speakers. I really like the looks of them and from what I hear the sound is really good too. Of course there is the price as well. I've got the finance committee signed off on the purchase, I just want to be sure I'm going to be happy.
post #4 of 34 Old 06-01-2008, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

Glad that my post helped you out I can only really speak for myself and it is strictly opinion but i think that i would have honestly regretted spending more money on a set of speakers than what I got. Sure I probably could have gotten some speakers that sounded "better" (which is subjective), but to really achieve a difference that would be noticeable with more than a direct side by side comparison, I think that I would have had to have spent double the money. Speaking for myself, the set I got is PLENTY of speaker for me and they will last a good while... at least until I get the upgrade bug and a deeper pocket lol. Good luck on your decision.
post #5 of 34 Old 06-01-2008, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well so far I bought a DLP center channel speaker shelf to hold that huge HT-85 center channel and 200 feet of 12 AWG speaker wire to rewire my setup. I'll be driving the BIC's with a Yamaha RX-V2600 receiver. My only real question now is what is the proper orientation for the HT-63's. They will be elevated and set back behind my couch about 5 feet. I'm not sure if the angled parts of the surrounds should be on the inside or outside when side by side?
post #6 of 34 Old 06-01-2008, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 36
+1 on the BICs. I also followed lilmike's review and took the plunge. I'm very happy that I did, I love these speakers. They're starting to break in and are sounding spectacular, and I dont even have my sub yet.
post #7 of 34 Old 06-02-2008, 12:45 AM

hello,

I went by lilmikes post also but have seen them on ebay.I took the plunge and upgraded my mains and center . I held off on the towers for now and bought the ht-85 center and the ht-64 bookshelfs and am very happy i did!! When i first hooked them up to my receiver the mic setup had them way to low and i wasnt to impressed by them. I bummped them up alittle bit and was very pleased. Later i might get the towers but i really dont think i need them.My velodyne sub handles the lows just fine. For the price i bought them for i dont think i could have done any better!!!!
post #8 of 34 Old 06-02-2008, 10:53 AM

H-100: This is a great budget sub. Great deep bass for it price. And it looks great I think. Two thumbs up.

HT-88: I bought a pair of these based on my positive experience with the H-100, but honestly did not like them. I know, I know, I'm probably the only person on this forum who didn't like them. But I just thought they were missing the crystal clear definition and dynamics that I was looking for. I ended up replacing them with Klipsch RF-82. Of course more expensive, but I just wasn't happy with the HT-88.

But I will say for the price you will love them compared to your HTIB.
post #9 of 34 Old 06-03-2008, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz2 View Post

t I will say for the price you will love them compared to your HTIB.

Hard to argue with that.

I'm probably one of the people who the OP says was negative, but that was only in comparison to Klipsch. Taken for what they are, they appear to have good value.

post #10 of 34 Old 06-03-2008, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I went for the set in my first post. I actually had a 10% off paypal coupon which I used. As everyone else did, I got a reduced price from the asking price on ebay. Then the additional 10% saved me another few bucks. Great deal so far now I just hope I love the speakers.
post #11 of 34 Old 06-03-2008, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

One thing about these speakers though, they do need quite a bit of time to break in. Im about 6-7 hours into listening through them, and they sound even better than when I first opened them. I would recommend running these for about a month to get a good impression of what they can do. Im very pleased w the purchase.
post #12 of 34 Old 06-03-2008, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Is there anything special to the break in period or just use them? I haven't owned a new set of speakers in over 12 years.
post #13 of 34 Old 06-03-2008, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1DIMMER View Post

Is there anything special to the break in period or just use them? I haven't owned a new set of speakers in over 12 years.

Just keep using them. Try not to judge the sound based on the first five minutes of listening to them though. Parts of a soundtrack that I thought sounded a little thin bass wise when first listening now have a full sound to them.
post #14 of 34 Old 06-03-2008, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Nutz, you are not alone. I'm a Klipsch guy myself.
post #15 of 34 Old 06-03-2008, 05:12 PM

i like em....i came from swans dynaudio audience all around..then i went to BIC acoustechs...i have no regrets...for HT they are more than sufficient for me...i like the clarity of the center (maybe bec of the horns) and the surrounds are one of the best ive heard..id prefer it to the monopoles (dynaudio audience 42) and to the dipoles (R3) of the swans...

initially they were hard, raggedy to listen to..but they broke in after awhile.....i cant remember how long the break in was...but it definitely changed character for the better...

i have the set minus the acoustech sub....(using mirage s10 for lows)
post #16 of 34 Old 06-03-2008, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

I second the break in period being vital. I bought the sub first and had been using nightly for about two weeks and one night I was blown away by how impressive it sounded. Went for the 88's and the center that same night. I was underwhelmed for about two weeks and then have been very impressed with movie and music listening ever since.

My $ 0.02

Jeff
post #17 of 34 Old 06-03-2008, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Don't mean to inflame but aren't Bic's just chinatown Klipsch's?

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
post #18 of 34 Old 06-03-2008, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post

Don't mean to inflame but aren't Bic's just chinatown Klipsch's?

Nope, these are the real deal. They were designed by HSU and it shows. They have a similar driver setup, yet different sound than Klipsch.

I auditioned the RF-82s again the other day, and I feel that the HT-88's are a much better value at half the price. I would take either set anyday though.
post #19 of 34 Old 06-03-2008, 08:27 PM

I have the 5.1 set up it was good for movies but for true 2ch music I was not satisfied so I bought a pair of ascend sierrias book shelf speakers and they are a major improvment with 2ch music but im still using the center, sub and surrounds. for now.
post #20 of 34 Old 06-03-2008, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Dr. Hsu made bic?
Well I guess I seem stupid.

That makes me awesome.
post #21 of 34 Old 06-03-2008, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post

Dr. Hsu made bic?
Well I guess I seem stupid.

Bic America is the speaker company, but HSU Research helped with the design and engineer work of the Acoustech speaker line from BIC.
post #22 of 34 Old 06-03-2008, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

Bic America is the speaker company, but HSU Research helped with the design and engineer work of the Acoustech speaker line from BIC.

To clarify just a bit (maybe) i found this excerpt from someone whom is affiliated with BIC America:

"The sub was designed & engineeded by Dr. Hsu (of HSU Reaserch), who has a doctorate from MIT and has been selling his award winning subs on the internet for years.

The horn tweeters (a key feature of these speakers) were designed by a PhD from Stanford who had Paul Klipsch as a student."

"...his name is Dr. Bruce Edgar (of Edgarhorn). Who's Titan horn loudspeakers are recognized as a very high quality, low distortion horn. Distortion has long been an issue with horn style speakers, but Dr. Edgar has changed all that and his speakers are known for their wide dynamic range and ability to convey the power of musical instruments." -speaking of the stanford PhD

Not sure how much validity is behind it, but interesting never-the-less.
post #23 of 34 Old 06-03-2008, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Dr. Edgar was a student of Paul Klipsch?
How old is Dr Edgar?

That makes me awesome.
post #24 of 34 Old 06-03-2008, 11:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Dr Hsu helped with the design and engineering of the sub. Not the speakers. The Acoustech may look like Klipsch Reference speakers with their horn configuration and copper colored woofers, but their similarities end there. In terms of drivers, internal components, and general build, they are different speakers. For their price point, however, the Acoustech are a pretty good value.

Welcome... to the house of Rock and Jazz !
post #25 of 34 Old 06-04-2008, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsBane View Post

Dr Hsu helped with the design and engineering of the sub. Not the speakers. The Acoustech may look like Klipsch Reference speakers with their horn configuration and copper colored woofers, but their similarities end there. In terms of drivers, internal components, and general build, they are different speakers. For their price point, however, the Acoustech are a pretty good value.

According to BIC America's website, it states that "All Acoustech models were designed and engineered with the assistance of the highly regarded Hsu Research Engineering Team"
post #26 of 34 Old 06-04-2008, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsBane View Post

Worth repeating.

Strongly hit the side of an Acoustech tower with the edge of your hand and you will discover that they are indeed value speakers. Nothing like hitting a solid block of wood... (Or a thick, well-braced speaker for that matter.)

Or just critically observe the (missing) wood veneer...

They look good and sound good for the money they cost though. I agree that they are a great bargain. That is why I have a 7.1 Acoustech setup (boxed up...) as well.

All in all, I love them.

Too many to list. ;)
post #27 of 34 Old 06-05-2008, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I just ordered a 5.1 set-up (same set-up as lilmike) today. I'm looking forward to their arrival!

PSN & Xbox 360 Gamertag: dboss007
post #28 of 34 Old 06-05-2008, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboss View Post

I just ordered a 5.1 set-up (same set-up as lilmike) today. I'm looking forward to their arrival!

You're going to love them. I'm very happy with the HT-88's and HT-85. At about 5-10 ft away, they put out some serious bass, along with crystal clear highs.

I might even add the HT-63 surrounds to my existing setup.
post #29 of 34 Old 08-11-2008, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

I just came from looking at the BIC site. I have a question:

Can all 3 pairs of the HT-88 tower speakers (excluding the center) be used in place of the surrounds?
I have thinking of using 6 tower speakers for my fronts and surrounds. What do you think?
post #30 of 34 Old 08-11-2008, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_David View Post

I just came from looking at the BIC site. I have a question:

Can all 3 pairs of the HT-88 tower speakers (excluding the center) be used in place of the surrounds?
I have thinking of using 6 tower speakers for my fronts and surrounds. What do you think?

No problem with that if you can afford it. Would be great especially if you do music through those speakers. You can also use the HT-88 for your center channel if your TV is mounted high enough, but I don't think they sell them per piece. On that note, why not go for a 6.1 setup instead using all HT-88s?

Having identical speakers for all channels is said to be ideal because they'll all have the same frequency response, etc. With having identical speakers, you won't have timbre-matching issues.

Eclectic Electronics: A blog containing technology news, information about home theater, digital photography and more.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page