Paradigm Studio v.2 replacement tweeter - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 06-02-2008, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am posting this thread so that those googling will hopefully find it useful.

My own google searches turned up very little.

My Paradigm Studio reference 20 v.2's blew a tweeter several months ago.
they happen to be out of warranty, so I went back to my (former) dealer to order a new diaphragm. he told me the cost was around $35.00 + shipping, or around 100.00 + shipping for the full tweeter.

it's been almost two months now and I got tired of repeated calls to my (former) dealer, we had a few issues with the sale of a Studio 590 ADP, and I don't think they are ever going to actually order my replacement tweeter, so I started researching my own replacement and I believe I have found a better deal. I know I will eventually handle it with a different dealer, but I started the search for a replacement for my own enjoyment..

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...oducts_id=1167

it is a replacement diaphragm for the vifa D25AG35. I had plans to make my own DIY mains anyways so I ordered two of the D25AG35, instead of just the diagram. They arrived today so I started testing.

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...oducts_id=1076

I removed the front plastic bezel from the diaphragm and replaced it with the cast aluminum bezel from the Studio 20 tweeter.
it was a perfect fit, I understand that Paradigm custom makes their speakers, but I just don't see any difference in the two speakers, the magnet, the diaphragm, the color/shape screw holes, you name it.. it all looks identical.
all the way down to the same TORX head screw holding things together.

below is a photo of the original v.2 metal bezel with the Vifa tweeter guts behind it

below is a shot of the the full Vifa on the left, and a combination of the Paradigm guts(blown diaphragm) and the vifa bezel.

the only real difference I can see is the VIfa has a plastic cap over the end of the magnet. other than that, all looks identical.
and sounds identical. considering the cost? yeah it was worth it.

As of my first day of "playing" I am using the left fron Vifa mag+cone and the Paradigm bezel, my right front is standard paradigm OEM.
soon I will replace the right front with the vifa, and play some more. then eventually go to a different paradigm dealer and get an OEM replacement.

my overall plan is to create a clone set of studio 40's or 60's or 100's or something close based on this tweeter, then if I actually succeed move the 20's as read surrounds. wish me luck.

enjoy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 06-02-2008, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

That's really cool. They have a lot of good speakers on that site, but most of the best ones are out of stock.

Many of them sure look like Klipsch components!

"Any reviewer that didn't rail against this [Young Guns Blu-ray encode] should be sued, and Lionsgate should be ashamed of themselves. " - msgohan
post #3 of 19 Old 06-02-2008, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Wonder if the impedance is the same?
post #4 of 19 Old 06-02-2008, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
How are you guys blowing tweeters? I have only blown the woofers in a pair of bookshelf speakers. I guess the tweeters on my speakers are harder to blow than the woofers were.

One shall stand... One Shall Fall... - Optimus Prime
post #5 of 19 Old 06-02-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Leggs View Post

How are you guys blowing tweeters? I have only blown the woofers in a pair of bookshelf speakers. I guess the tweeters on my speakers are harder to blow than the woofers were.

I owned Paradigms Monitors 3 or 4 years ago. At that time Paradigm tweeters were very easy to blow due to the crossover point. Paradigm customer service was great, however it is aggravating to have to change tweeters on a frequent basis.
I am not familiar with the most current series.
post #6 of 19 Old 06-02-2008, 07:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 70
It is possible the Paradigm sources parts of the tweeter from other companies such as Tymphany/Peerless....or even the entire thing with a tweek or two internally.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #7 of 19 Old 06-02-2008, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

Wonder if the impedance is the same?

I have been playing around with TrueRTA and although I am not ready to post graphs, I feel the sound the same, and the graphs look the same.

Also that particular tweeter is designed to be crossed over at around 2k,

guess what the studio 20's are crossed over at??? thats right 2k

I am not suggesting that this is an upgrade for people to do with their existing tweeters, but I wanted to post for posterities sake, so that if someone has trouble getting warranty replacements, this then is an option....
post #8 of 19 Old 06-02-2008, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMAN21 View Post

I owned Paradigms Monitors 3 or 4 years ago. At that time Paradigm tweeters were very easy to blow due to the crossover point. Paradigm customer service was great, however it is aggravating to have to change tweeters on a frequent basis. I am not familiar with the most current series.

I've had a pair of Studio 20's ver. 2's as a spare set of speakers for what seems forever and never blew a tweeter, but Knock on wood. In fact, I'm using them now in my 5.1 system along with the CC350 until I recover from the last purchase.

How are you guys blowing these tweeters? High SPL's or just average listening and they blow?

Sidmind: Thanks for the information!

"Man plans, God laughs"
post #9 of 19 Old 06-02-2008, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozvz View Post

How are you guys blowing these tweeters? High SPL's or just average listening and they blow?

Sidmind: Thanks for the information!

I blew mine when I was first learning to use TrueRTA, I thought I had to have the volume cranked when I was doing sweeps.

FYI 75db is perfect. a 110db 20-20khz sweep will trash some speakers...live and learn.
post #10 of 19 Old 06-02-2008, 08:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidmind View Post

I blew mine when I was first learning to use TrueRTA, I thought I had to have the volume cranked when I was doing sweeps.

FYI 75db is perfect. a 110db 20-20khz sweep will trash some speakers...live and learn.

for 110db at the listening position, it may of been the lack of power that caused the problem. Driving the amp to clipping can easily kill the tweeter.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #11 of 19 Old 06-03-2008, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

It is possible the Paradigm sources parts of the tweeter from other companies such as Tymphany/Peerless....or even the entire thing with a tweek or two internally.

Not true at all...Paradigm makes all of their drivers in house from scratch...just like all of the other components used in their speakers.
post #12 of 19 Old 06-03-2008, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynberg View Post

Not true at all...Paradigm makes all of their drivers in house from scratch...just like all of the other components used in their speakers.

not trying to say I am right, it's just my observation after comparing the two tweeters, but... just because they make their own speakers, doesn't mean they don't license technology or use existing designs. and tweak them.

buy a set and compare them yourself.

I could be wrong.
post #13 of 19 Old 06-04-2008, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

You are wrong. They do not license technology or tweak existing designs. All of their drivers are designed from scratch and have been since the early 90s (or earlier). There are only so many ways to make a tweeter housing.

I would be extremely surprised if your Frankensteined speakers have the same frequency response, off-axis response, and spectral decay as the originals. But if you are happy with the "fix", that's all that really matters.
post #14 of 19 Old 06-04-2008, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynberg View Post

You are wrong. They do not license technology or tweak existing designs. All of their drivers are designed from scratch and have been since the early 90s (or earlier). There are only so many ways to make a tweeter housing.

I would be extremely surprised if your Frankensteined speakers have the same frequency response, off-axis response, and spectral decay as the originals. But if you are happy with the "fix", that's all that really matters.

I never claimed the fix was an upgrade, only a solution for those who have trouble getting waranty or replacement tweeters like I was.

well the good news is my replacement paradigm tweeter finally arrived at the dealer,
only two months after I ordered it but ....at least I wont have "frankensteined" speakers anymore. and can start designing my DIY mains.

and I could be wrong, as you say I am, but do you work for Paradigm in the engineering dept. ??

I will let you know how my clone studio 20's graph out compared to the real 20's it will be a couple of more months before I am finished.
post #15 of 19 Old 06-04-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidmind View Post

I never claimed the fix was an upgrade, only a solution for those who have trouble getting waranty or replacement tweeters like I was.

well the good news is my replacement paradigm tweeter finally arrived at the dealer,
only two months after I ordered it but ....at least I wont have "frankensteined" speakers anymore. and can start designing my DIY mains.

and I could be wrong, as you say I am, but do you work for Paradigm in the engineering dept. ??

I will let you know how my clone studio 20's graph out compared to the real 20's it will be a couple of more months before I am finished.

Do you think that anyone who worked at Paradigm would post this:

You guys don't make any sense above, he is talking about bi-amping, NOT bi-wiring. With the 8002, you can use the rear surround channels to bi-amp the fronts. Likely result is over 200W/channel to the fronts. Marantz uses some pretty stout amps in the 8002, I doubt even the low impedance 100s will be starved.

Explain why he would need an aftermarket "bigger" amp
post #16 of 19 Old 09-12-2008, 12:02 PM

One of my Monitor 11's just blew the high end crossover and the tweeter in the process.

I saw this article and was wondering if the replacements that were purchased for the Studio speakers would work with my Monitors?

I called Paradigm and they will happily ship me a new tweeter for $70 plus shipping, but at this point I am pretttttttty tight on cash.

This is how it SHOULD look....

This is how it DOES look.

Can you guys provide any input or assistance in locating a replacement tweeter?
post #17 of 19 Old 09-12-2008, 12:37 PM

removed the tweeter

post #18 of 19 Old 09-12-2008, 03:57 PM

Holly crap, that coil is melted good! You must have been feeding that some heavy juice :-)
Anyway, your tweeter looks a little different than the studio one, but it still has the three dimples like the studio one. The tweeters from Madisound above worked great in my studios.

post #19 of 19 Old 05-15-2012, 06:21 AM

"the only real difference I can see is the VIfa has a plastic cap over the end of the magnet. other than that, all looks identical and sounds identical. considering the cost? yeah it was worth it."

This is not true. The Paradygm tweeter is not same - only the coil/dome assembly is identical. The Par. tweeter has two magnet assemblies to strengthen the magnetic field. The Vifa has only one; there is no magnet under the plastic cap. So buy the Vifa and pirate the coil, but don't change the rest as it will degrade the HF performance!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page