Surround Sound speaker height - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 01-01-2002, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Through doing some searches on this forum, I've read that your surround speakers should be about 2-3 feet above your ear level. My setup is in a living room that doesn't give me the possibility of mounting these speakers on a wall. In order to get the speakers to the recommended height I would need a 60-72 inch speaker stand. The tallest I've seen is a 48 inch. Does anyone know of any speaker stands that are 60-72 inches ? I've looked everywhere online so far and haven't seen any. Thanks.

Stephen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-04-2002, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Surely I can't be the only one with this quandry ?? Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks.

Stephen
post #3 of 17 Old 01-04-2002, 09:13 PM

Patience Grasshoppa! THis forum moves about as fast as thick molasses running uphill on a cold day. I have mine about 6" over head level, but they are angled in and down slightly.

I just ran the Surrounds to the Mains output then played a CD in Stereo mode. I adjusted the speakers untill the stereo image was recreated to the best of the ability of the rear speakers.

I then reconnected the surrounds and mains to their respective inputs and played The Matrix. Listen to these 2 parts especially.

Part 1. At the very begining after Trinity is done talking to Cipher you the viewer fly into the A in mAtrix. You can hear the "buzzing" electricity fly past you and fade away into the surround speakers.

Part 2. About 10 minutes in, Trinity is running away from the Agents you can hear the footsteps of 1 agent run past you in the hall and when Trinity comes to the top of the building off the fireescape you can hear her foopsteps run past you to the right.

Those are the 2 scenes I use to make sure my Surrounds are sounding good.

Hoper that helps a little.

Eric.

S/PDIF Reference Table

ICQ# 109783522 Just add me I don't mind.
post #4 of 17 Old 01-05-2002, 05:20 AM
Advanced Member

Stephen, I faced the same problem when I set up my system. You will not find stands that high because they they are unstable, even 48" is very high, with few (and unsightly) alternatives. Most people going higher than that mount onto walls. After 4 months of searching, I finally chose 28" stands. My rear speakers add another 14", this puts the tweeter/mid range at about 37", which is very close to the front. They sound very balanced and well integrated with the rest of the system, and the problem I feared with "low surrounds" never happened. Actually, I would estimate well over 75% of the rear surround sound is properly located at this level.

Regards, Michael
post #5 of 17 Old 01-05-2002, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Another option is to mount from the ceiling (like a ceiling fan) with an adjustable wall mount speaker bracket attatched to the steel downrod.

BruceD
post #6 of 17 Old 01-05-2002, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses everyone ... I waited 3 days or so before bumping my thread up after I saw it had only been read like 3 times in the last 24 hours. Michael, I will probably go with your suggestion. I certainly don't have the ears of a dog and from your experience I probably will be happy with that type of setup. And Erik I'll be sure to watch the Matrix after using my Avia CD to test out the sound, thanks.

Stephen
post #7 of 17 Old 01-05-2002, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Stephen, one thing you might try before purchasing stands is to set the rear speakers on some boxes about the same height and just listen, see if it bothers you. The only time I really notice the lack of height is movie sound of airplane, helecopters, missles, etc, which is not frequent. I find that as 5 channel sound evolves, especially into music and dvd recorded performances, 5 speakers at the same level is more appropriate. Just MHO.

The ceiling optioned mentioned by BruceD is also a good alternative if wall mounting is not an option.

Good luck, regards Michael
post #8 of 17 Old 01-05-2002, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member

Bruce,

Your ceiling mount downrod with adjustable bracket is interesting.

I've been all over the net and was unable to find any that support 15lbs+. Any ideas?
post #9 of 17 Old 01-06-2002, 01:39 PM

bodegabay,

You might want to see if you have a true Hi-Fi shop in town. And I dont mean Circuit ****** or Magnolia, but a true Hi-Fi shop.

The Hi-Fi shop near my house has wall mount brackets that support 10 - 20 lb speakers. Just a thought.

Eric.

S/PDIF Reference Table

ICQ# 109783522 Just add me I don't mind.
post #10 of 17 Old 01-06-2002, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Michael, thanks for the suggestion. I put the surrounds on some boxes yesterday while watching "The Patriot." Before I only had them about couch seat level ... I know have them on boxes so they are sitting on a base 42 inches up. I noticed quite a bit of difference ... though its amazing how much you can get caught up in a movie and you don't even really notice where the sound comes from. I suspect having better surround sound though helps in making yourself "lost" in a movie.

I've also now considered wall mounting them on my back wall. I don't have a side wall but the Definitive manual suggests this as an option. However, even as a a single bachelor, I'm not sure I could live with that type of setup ... probably not the most aesthetic looking setup. I've been basing my placement on the suggestions from Dolby. Definitive though suggests placing them half way between your seating position and your rear wall. Unfortunately in my situation my seating position is right up against the rear wall. I think I'll try it though by resting my speakers on top of my couch.

If that doesn't work, I think I'm going to try the 47 inch adjustable stands from HTMarket.com. The picture of the stands isn't the greatest and the top plate is small, 3" by 4". My speakers are 6" by 9" but I think it will be Ok.

Stephen
post #11 of 17 Old 01-06-2002, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Here is one website with speaker mounts supporting 44lbs:

speaker mounts

BruceD
post #12 of 17 Old 01-06-2002, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Stephen,

Just to inquire, have you tried placing the surrounds facing up towards the ceiling behind your couch on the floor or small 12" stands ?

Just another Dolby suggestion.

BruceD
post #13 of 17 Old 01-06-2002, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Stephen, my limited experience with speakers says that you do the best you can with what you have regardless of what the manufacturer, Dolby Labs or Stereophile Mag have to say. IMHO 47" is high for a stand, tho you might want to check the max weight it will take when fully extended. My stands have a similar platform size, the speakers extend over each side by at least 1" and its not a problem. The stand has 4 small (1/4" diameter) rubber coaster-like objects (sorry, don't know what they are called) that form a tight bond with the speaker bottom and which create a very solid connection with no screws or glue. You just need to be careful and not bump them.
One difference between wall and stand to keep in mind; it is easier to move a stand an inch to the right...

Regards, Michael
post #14 of 17 Old 01-06-2002, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, I'm never going to get these things in their permanent place with all these suggestions !! :) Thanks for the alternative suggestion Bruce ... I think I'll give that a try as well. And Michael you are right about the wall mounting thing ... that is definitely something to take into consideration. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

Stephen
post #15 of 17 Old 01-07-2002, 04:30 PM

My surrounds came with instructions for both wall and ceiling mount. Although they admitted it was preferrable on the side walls, it is a perfectly viable option for rooms without any place to mount it to the side.

I think I will eventually mount my surrounds on the walls, but for now, I have them sitting on 2 dressers/cabinets. They fit the requirement of being taller than most stands - although they are probably not much more than 50" or so. They are also of different heights, but I have read and heard a few times that slightly different hieghts is not necessarily bad, particularly for dipole, diffuse soundfields.

Cheers,
Chris
post #16 of 17 Old 01-07-2002, 06:11 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
My viewing room situation is very much like yours with the couch right against the back wall with a side wall right on one side and open room on the other. I ended up mounting my surrounds from the ceiling after some consternation and ended up being very happy with they way they sound. I have the Atlantic Tech surrounds with tweeters on both sides of the speakers so they produce a very diffuse sound anyway, but they actually sound quite good up there. I mounted them with the woofer on the top side and the tweets lower so they are just about a foot below ceiling level. It makes for a very clean installation too. I had them aimed downward a bit at first but actually ended up aiming them straight across in the end.

ron
post #17 of 17 Old 01-07-2002, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Bruce,

Thanks for the Pivotelli link. I've seen the Vogel mounts, but the Pivotelli brackets seem to look much better...
Closed Thread Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page