SVS PB13 Ultra speaker pairing? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 06-15-2008, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm looking for suggestions for 5.1 or 7.1 setup that includes SVS PB13 Ultra sub. I was originally looking at either a Legacy audio setup, Paradigm studio's or Klipsch. However, after some lengthy auditioning, I'm reconsidering for the following reasons:

Legacy = cost (love their speakers but don't know if I can swing it)
Paradigm = great speakers but not warm enough (I don't consider myself an audiophile and I'm not sure if warm is the right word but while I really like the Studio's for HT, I wasn't as thrilled with the mids/highs for music)
Klipsch = great dynamic range but fatiguing after a while

So I guess, I'm asking for for suggestions in the $5K or below range for the 5 (or seven) speakers to pair with the SVS that sound "warm" but still have solid dynamic range. BTW, the room they're going in is fairly large 18x30x(9 to 11 ft tall at the screen wall).

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-15-2008, 05:47 AM

Liked: 10
I'm in the same boat. I've been considering the Paradigms to pair with the SVS Ultra 13.

I auditioned the Studio 100s and compared them to the Millenia 300s (also part of the Studio Series). Believe it or not the Millenias sounded better to me. They were more "alive". The saleperson tells me the "imaging" is much better -- I'm no "audiophile" either.

So...I think I'm gonna go with the Millenias 300s with the 30 for my center and ADPs for the surround.

Now if I can find a receiver to go with it.....
post #3 of 17 Old 06-15-2008, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarigan View Post

I'm in the same boat. I've been considering the Paradigms to pair with the SVS Ultra 13.

I auditioned the Studio 100s and compared them to the Millenia 300s (also part of the Studio Series). Believe it or not the Millenias sounded better to me. They were more "alive". The saleperson tells me the "imaging" is much better -- I'm no "audiophile" either.

So...I think I'm gonna go with the Millenias 300s with the 30 for my center and ADPs for the surround.

Now if I can find a receiver to go with it.....

for the receiver look no further than the onkyo 705
post #4 of 17 Old 06-15-2008, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

The PB13 will blend well with just about anything, so take your time and listen to as much as you can. I had mine setup with Paradigm Studio 60's, and for the last few weeks with my bedroom speakers, B&W DM 603 S3's, and now with my Usher CP-6381's. Since I am running 2 different preamps for HT and Music, I have them crossed over @ 80hz for movies, and around 40hz for music. When playing 2ch stereo, it sounds like music, instead of speakers. So that is what I would consider listening to if you are in the market for new speakers. The Ushers are very warm sounding. I can listen for hours without any fatigue, compared to my Paradigms. I may sound like I am pimping the Ushers, and I assure you I am not involved with them in any way. I just don't see much on them at AVS, so I would like to get the word out. Regarding another option, besides Paradigm, AV123, Klipsch, etc.

http://www.usheraudiousa.com/product...series/cp-6381

http://www.usheraudiousa.com/product...center-channel

http://www.usheraudiousa.com/product...x-series/x-708
LL
post #5 of 17 Old 06-15-2008, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I have my Ultra paired up with the Energy RC line. RC line is as detailed as the Paradigm, but not near as bright. If you have a dealer in your area, I'd highly reccommend you give them a listen, I'm sure you'd be impressed.

Here's a pic so you can see the asthetics:

"it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"
post #6 of 17 Old 06-15-2008, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

dbacksfan,
Those Ushers look promising. I'm currently using a D'Appolito designed DIY HT speakers with Audax drivers. The downside is that I'm in central ohio and closest dealer appears to be in KY somewhere.

Can you clarify, have you used the Usher's in your HT? If so, what center channel are you using? It did look like they offered a center in the same line as your towers.
post #7 of 17 Old 06-15-2008, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grisch View Post

dbacksfan,
Those Ushers look promising. I'm currently using a D'Appolito designed DIY HT speakers with Audax drivers. The downside is that I'm in central ohio and closest dealer appears to be in KY somewhere.

Can you clarify, have you used the Usher's in your HT? If so, what center channel are you using? It did look like they offered a center in the same line as your towers.

Yes I am using them in HT. I am using a Integra DTC-9.8 preamp for HT and a Parasound Model 2100 with Hometheater bypass for 2ch audio. I have a picture below the links for the Usher website, of my setup. I am using the x-616 center, that is voice matched to the mains. I have had them for a few weeks now, running at modest levels to let the speakers break in, but last night I watched Cloverfield and was blown away. The TrueHD soundtrack really let these speakers and sub shine. If you can find a dealer that has them in stock to audition, you owe it to yourself to give em a listen.
post #8 of 17 Old 06-15-2008, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Why not consider the SVS MTS line...supposed to be on the warm side of neutral. I haven't heard them, but did read JEJs review and he was impressed. Just a thought.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #9 of 17 Old 06-15-2008, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Why not consider the SVS MTS line...supposed to be on the warm side of neutral. I haven't heard them, but did read JEJs review and he was impressed. Just a thought.

I second that they are on the warm side of the neutral...
I had them in my house for an audition and they were not as forward as the paradigms... I have both the Paradigm Sigs and the Studios....
post #10 of 17 Old 06-15-2008, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I love my Dynaudio speakers with dual Ultra PB 13?
post #11 of 17 Old 06-15-2008, 01:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 62
sky is the limit (within your budget, of course)

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #12 of 17 Old 06-15-2008, 01:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthemAVM View Post

I love my Dynaudio speakers with dual Ultra PB 13?

So do I....especially when we can break things in your house.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #13 of 17 Old 06-15-2008, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Anthem, which Dynaudio's do you have?
post #14 of 17 Old 06-15-2008, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

They are definitely on the list. I'm only a couple of hours away from the SVS factory in Ohio. They don't have Saturday hours so I'll need to take a day off but I'm definitely planning on going.
post #15 of 17 Old 06-15-2008, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

I had a chance to hear the MTS line at a SVS get together several weeks back, and they were not my cup of tea. Not that they sounded bad, just not for me. I would still choose my old Studio 60's over the MTS line.
post #16 of 17 Old 06-15-2008, 02:20 PM

You should give Focal, Chorus 800 line a listen, there in the price range and sound great IMO
post #17 of 17 Old 06-15-2008, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I've read some very respectable people say mbs-1 bookshelf is the best pair of speakers at $1k. Although I'm a fan of selah audio designs and based on my observations they provide unmatched sound quality for their price.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page