The Official Usher Audio Owners Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 470 Old 03-16-2014, 11:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Have a question - how close to the wall (back wall) can the dancer mini2 dmd be placed?

RX-A3030 | Usher MD2 + Klipsch RB51 | Sony BDP-S5100 | HTPC
Zone 2 | Heco Victa 702
Zone 3 | Audiolab 8000A | Rogers LS6a
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 470 Old 03-20-2014, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerfan88 View Post

Have a question - how close to the wall (back wall) can the dancer mini2 dmd be placed?

It depends.

I would say as close as you can stand it. They are front-ported so no issues there. I have mine 3 feet in front of the wall. I've had other box speakers right up against the wall. Room configurations and wives have greater influence than acoustic desires in my stereo rooms. I'm pretty lucky this time. If you want it close, try it and see what you think. If you don't hear it, then it isn't a problem, but I would pay attention to bass and boominess, especially if you're thinking of putting it in a corner. I've noticed my mini2's have a mild bass hump around 40hz in my current room.
post #453 of 470 Old 03-21-2014, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griller View Post

It depends.

I would say as close as you can stand it. They are front-ported so no issues there. I have mine 3 feet in front of the wall. I've had other box speakers right up against the wall. Room configurations and wives have greater influence than acoustic desires in my stereo rooms. I'm pretty lucky this time. If you want it close, try it and see what you think. If you don't hear it, then it isn't a problem, but I would pay attention to bass and boominess, especially if you're thinking of putting it in a corner. I've noticed my mini2's have a mild bass hump around 40hz in my current room.

Thanks much. I have tried placing my MD2 almost to the wall (650mm), and soundstaging was poor. It's now pulled out to 850mm from the front wall, 1000mm from the side wall, and the soundstaging & tonal balance sound much better to my ears.

I have a troublesome room (4m/L x 4m/W x 3m/H) with a very serious room mode at 45Hz (+20dB up as measured by REW). I get headaches and occasional micro-earthquakes. Have to use the Yamaha PEQ to push the gain down by 7.5dB centered around 49Hz. Headache is gone, the vibration felt at the room mode frequency is much lower. Low bass sounds more balanced to my ears.

Now, my final problem is with a "nasal" sounding vocal (low mid bass). I am not sure if it is due to the room, or speaker. I plan to run-in the speaker another 100hrs more (now clocked about 80-90hrs), before I spend $$$ on room treatment. Any idea what frequency range causes this? ~400Hz?

Currently the mini dancer 2 is connected to the Yamaha AVR in a bi-amp configuration. My ears seem to tell me it is good. Any thoughts on bi-amp vs. single amp connection for MD2?

Any further suggestions would be welcome.

Zone 2 | Heco Victa 702
post #454 of 470 Old 03-26-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerfan88 View Post

Now, my final problem is with a "nasal" sounding vocal (low mid bass). I am not sure if it is due to the room, or speaker. I plan to run-in the speaker another 100hrs more (now clocked about 80-90hrs), before I spend $$$ on room treatment. Any idea what frequency range causes this? ~400Hz?

Currently the mini dancer 2 is connected to the Yamaha AVR in a bi-amp configuration. My ears seem to tell me it is good. Any thoughts on bi-amp vs. single amp connection for MD2?

I have not noticed a nasal presentation in the DMD MD2's. I do not know your setup, but my initial reaction would be to look at other components. Disclaimer: I have the BE MD2's, but I have several hours with the DMD's at friends and the dealer. I will say I am a convert on burn-in. These speakers are very harsh and bright when new and easily take 100 hours or more to settle down. I didn't believe it until I heard it for myself. This may be what your are hearing, although I would not describe it that way myself.

From what you've written, it sounds like you are not bi-amping, but bi-wiring, which in my experience does not add to my listening enjoyment or change the presentation in any meaningful way. Bi-amping is another story.

If you have another amplifier available, you could try bi-amping the speakers if you remove the connection plate between the tweeters and mid-woofers. I would put one amp on top, and the other on the bass. Does your AVR have pre-amp outs?
post #455 of 470 Old 03-26-2014, 10:33 PM

griller, I also have the Be mini 2 but mine is a later model right before the dmd came out so it has the dmd cabinet and cast iron base. since you have heard both tweeters do you feel it is worth the $700 price to get dmd tweeters for my speakers.
post #456 of 470 Old 03-26-2014, 11:15 PM

Quote:

I have not noticed a nasal presentation in the DMD MD2's. I do not know your setup, but my initial reaction would be to look at other components. Disclaimer: I have the BE MD2's, but I have several hours with the DMD's at friends and the dealer. I will say I am a convert on burn-in. These speakers are very harsh and bright when new and easily take 100 hours or more to settle down. I didn't believe it until I heard it for myself. This may be what your are hearing, although I would not describe it that way myself.

From what you've written, it sounds like you are not bi-amping, but bi-wiring, which in my experience does not add to my listening enjoyment or change the presentation in any meaningful way. Bi-amping is another story.

If you have another amplifier available, you could try bi-amping the speakers if you remove the connection plate between the tweeters and mid-woofers. I would put one amp on top, and the other on the bass. Does your AVR have pre-amp outs?

Yeah, when I auditioned the MD2 at the dealer, it wasnt nasal at all. I am starting to guess the "nasal" presentation could be coloration from my room, and I just bought a used MOAB bass trap, and about to install this weekend, and I hope it helps reduce the room coloration. I've also found out that if I place a -3dB PEQ cut at 500Hz, the "nasal" sound is not so noticable, and I am using this setting for now.

BTW, my setup is bi-amped, I have configured my Yamaha RXA3030 to output each front channel via 2 amps (total 4 amplifiers used for front LR), and the copper links are removed. I'll probably leave it as it is (bi-amped).

Zone 2 | Heco Victa 702
post #457 of 470 Old 03-26-2014, 11:41 PM

Quote:

Hi,

I got the BE10 and one of my tweeter died a couple of weeks ago so I replaced them and it was a shock I didn't remember how harsh they sound until they settle in. I would qualify the sound as "metallic" but don't worry give them a few hundreds hours and they'll sound beautifully.
post #458 of 470 Old 03-27-2014, 08:46 PM

hi - new to the forum...i'm thinking about getting a mini-x (tiny dancer?) to use as a center channel with my mini-dancer 1's.  i'm assuming that usher won't sell me a single speaker so i'm wondering if anyone is interested in splitting a pair with me???

Usher Mini-Dancer 1 DMD

Musical Fidelity A5 CD Player

Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated Amp

Zu Audio Speaker & Power Cables

Sony KDL-65W950B TV

XBOX 360 + Kinect

post #459 of 470 Old 03-30-2014, 05:07 AM

Hello,  i would recomend you go with the BE 616 DMD as a center, its a superb dedicated center speaker tonaly and visualy, i use it with front Mini Two DMD and rear Mini One DMD in a home cinema setup. My speakers are in walnut and the BE616 has 'pioneer' coloured side cheeks that looked odd, so carefully removed the gold screws and eased the panels off, their also held with double sided tape, then reinstalled gold screws. The panels are quite light in weight and probably more for cosmetic than their 'damping' effect.just my thoughts.

post #460 of 470 Old 04-02-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivenP View Post

hi - new to the forum...i'm thinking about getting a mini-x (tiny dancer?) to use as a center channel with my mini-dancer 1's.  i'm assuming that usher won't sell me a single speaker so i'm wondering if anyone is interested in splitting a pair with me???

In the U.S. it can be difficult to get just one DMD 718. Another alternative is to buy a pair and hook them up in dual mono for the center channel. Not ideal but it'll work. Another vote for the DMD 616 center if your budget will allow. If you are considering the X-718 then I do not recommend it. While it is a sweet speaker and quite possibly the biggest bank for the buck in the Usher line, (if not in ultimate performance), the X-718 is a silk-dome tweeter and does not have the clarity or presentation of the MD1''s DMD tweeter.

It is HUGELY ANNOYING™ to have a sound pan across the front and have it change as it goes through the center channel, and then again when it hits the far channel. Your front channels should all be from the same line of speakers, ESPECIALLY the tweeter. If you have the BE tweeter the same rules apply.

Please note this is not a hard and fast rule for rear channels. I notice that I am much more tolerant with my rear channels and they are indeed completely different speakers. Front channels have SO much interaction with the center that they really should be from the same line. Of course, budget may dictate otherwise, but that should be the goal. I have a hard time believing that center channels cost that much to make. It's crazy. I bought one, but it's crazy.

You may want to keep an eye on Audiogon. I have seen Ushers pop up there occasionally. As they are not a main-line brand, you can usually get some pretty good deals.

Aloha,

Griller
post #461 of 470 Old 04-02-2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboldda1 View Post

griller, I also have the Be mini 2 but mine is a later model right before the dmd came out so it has the dmd cabinet and cast iron base. since you have heard both tweeters do you feel it is worth the $700 price to get dmd tweeters for my speakers.

I struggled with this question myself. I have heard both the BE and DMD tweeters. I consider the BE tweeter softer, sweeter, with a laid back presentation, about 2 feet behind the speakers. The DMD tweeter has much greater clarity, is more forward, but has a hardness that I can't get past. If you do not hear or are not bothered by the hardness or forward presentation then the DMD may be the way to go. For me it always boils down to that hardness and overall I enjoy the BE tweeter more even though it is a tad softer than I would prefer. I think you should carefully consider whether you really want to give up that laid-back presentation that is the hallmark of the BE tweeter, and landed it a Class A rating by the pros.

Having said that both versions are very well-made and high-performing speakers. Spend your money on vinyl.

Like I tell the little grillers, "Enjoy the gifts you DO have, and quit worrying about the gifts you DON'T have." We are all incredibly lucky to be where we are in the audio pantheon. I know there are better speakers/amps/turntables out there, but I am satisfied with where I am, and am enjoying the music. If you really want to do a meaningful upgrade, I think you should be looking at Wilson Audio or somewhere else before you make a tweeter change.

There are others that feel differently, but this is my take on it. I have not heard the DMD with tubes, that could take the edge off them.

Aloha,

Griller
post #462 of 470 Old 04-18-2014, 05:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just auditioned a couple of pairs of Usher minitors in the orient. Ipaid particular attention to the top line Diamond Mini-X listening to acoustic music. I currently run the KEF LS50 at home.

I expected a lot from the Mini-X but it simply did not seem as real in the microdynamics as the KEF LS50. When I was listening to piano which I play, there was a bit of nasality. The nasality was greatly reduced when I moved the speakers closer to the back warlls - It was probably about 6 feet out originally and I moved it to about 20 inches away from the back wall. Regardless, I was hoping to like the Mini-X better than my KEF LS50 for realism of acoustic music but it wasn't. It was being driven by much nicer components than my LS50 at home.

I do like the sense of scale in that listening room of the Mini-X though i am not sure if that was from the room size or the speaker itself. Also, the speakers are beautiful - reminded a bit of the Sonus Faber Cremona with the curved wood enclosure. Nice.

Anyone else compared the two side by side (KEF LS50 and Usher Mini-X)? Did I miss something?

Thanks,
UL
post #463 of 470 Old 04-29-2014, 02:02 AM

Liked: 13
Hey guys, I have two 520's arriving tomorrow and was thinking of pairing them to a Pioneer VSX-528-K.http://www.pioneer.com.au/au/products/22/98/405/VSX-528-K/specs.html

I will eventually turn it into a 5.1 set up but am wondering if anyone knows if it's a problem considering that the specs on the amp say "impedance at output level: 6 ohms. " and the impedance of the center speaker (Usher 525) is 4 ohms.
post #464 of 470 Old 05-02-2014, 04:37 PM

Often I see posting to leave the AVR setting at 8ohm, connect up speakers as usual. That's what I did with my Yamaha AVR, configured for 8 ohm, driving 4ohm MD2's. So far no issues, even with volume up to -10dB.

Zone 2 | Heco Victa 702
post #465 of 470 Old 05-03-2014, 04:01 PM

Liked: 13
Cool, thanks for that. Should be ok then as long as I have enough power. But I think I'll just have the ushers in a 2.1 set up that center is a bit hard to power.
post #466 of 470 Old 07-31-2014, 06:19 PM

Hi,

I need help.

I'm a relatively new owner of the Usher MDII's with the Beryllium tweeters. I've got them hooked up to a Yamaha RX-A3000 receiver in the den area of our home. The speakers are just a foot or two off the back wall and slightly toed in. The seats are about 9 feet from the speakers.

Watching Blu-Rays is GREAT (it's a mixed use room - no space for a dedicated listening area), but when I'm listening to music, I'm really disappointed with what I'm hearing. I'm using my ipod touch as a remote and I'm streaming music through the optical out on the Airport Express router and have it plugging into the Yamaha and using the receiver's DAC.

Unless I crank the volume to levels that tee off my wife and kids, I'm disappointed with what I'm getting. The sound is just plain lifeless. It was actually much worse when the speakers were right up against the back wall.

For music, I'm listening primarily to classic and acoustic rock (Eagles, The Cars, AC/DC, Dire Straits, etc.) and classical.

So my questions are these:

What would you guys suggest I address first, second, third?

I was told that while the Yamaha is a great HT receiver, it's not voiced for music playback the way that a dedicated integrated amp and DAC would be, and moreover that streaming music the way that I am through the home wireless simply won't yield the kind of results I would get if I got an HTPC like a Mac mini and used the USB as the source.

Thoughts and ideas? Thanks in advance!
post #467 of 470 Old 08-01-2014, 03:58 AM

The Official Usher Audio Owners Thread

1. Try FLAC/WAV/CD quality instead of MP3.
2. Try HTPC/laptop via hdmi/SPDIF instead of Airport Exp.

I am guessing you'll hear a big difference in quality.

Zone 2 | Heco Victa 702

Last edited by boxerfan88; 08-01-2014 at 03:59 AM. Reason: enhance
post #468 of 470 Old 08-01-2014, 12:39 PM

Will do. Thanks Boxerfan.

Is wireless music streaming crappy by its nature or is it that the Airport express optical out kind of sucks?
post #469 of 470 Old 08-01-2014, 03:50 PM

The Official Usher Audio Owners Thread

I had similar experience hearing the mp3 files were a little muddy. I took a couple of cd and re-rip into FLAC. Played a couple if track comparing mp3(320kbps) vs FLAC on my rxa3030/usher md2 setup, it was a world of difference. Example, carpenters - solitaire; FLAC file vocals was life like, drum was like live; mp3 file was "radio like".

After the above experience, I re-rip my entire cd collection into FLAC over a period of 3 mths or so. The mp3 files are sidelined, relegated to be loaded into my iPhone as travel music.

Additionally I prefer to hear music with Yammy enhancer off.

Regarding streaming, I use wired lan to the yamaha. AVR pulling FLAC files off a dlna server (serviio application software). In my view this is the cleanest setup allowing the music data to be sent into the Yammy with low risk of corruption, and letting the AVR to buffer, decode, play & amplify internally. I think this setup would also minimize jitter.

I am against wireless because I live in a high rise apartment with lots of neighboring wifi interfering, which is not good for quality audio streaming. A scan will reveal 15+ ssid, that's how bad it is.

Zone 2 | Heco Victa 702

Last edited by boxerfan88; 08-01-2014 at 04:06 PM. Reason: addl info
post #470 of 470 Old Yesterday, 11:22 PM

Hi,
since I have seen you guys post about the be-10 and telling that the more watts you throw at them, the better.... Wanted to share my experience so far....

I have used the following amps: bel canto eVo2 gen2, Anthem A5, Levinson no.27, Audio Research hd220...

Used the following preamps: levinson no.26s, audio research ls26, audio research ref3se, audio aero capitol cd player mkii (as preamp), audiolab mdac (as preamp), levinson ml-6

With ALL of those combinations the be10 ALWAYS shined!...

BUT some weeks ago I added a Viva Solista, and with its 22w per channel it literally BLEW everything I have tried before!!.... The micro and macro dynamics are incredible, the instruments, tone of the voices, soundstage, everything seems more accurate and more real....

I also tried the levinson ml-6 monoblock preamps with my latest amp aquisition: a pair of monoblock GTA SE-845, which are also 20w SET amps and got excepcional results!...

So, it is not a matter of more and more watts, but a matter of quality watts... And in my personal experience the best results for my ears has been pairing the be-10 with SET 845 amps...

Ps/ also had the cp-6371 and cp-6391.... very nice speakers, and currenly waiting for a be-616 center channel

Saludos a todos desde Costa Rica!
Reply Speakers

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr929 9 2 Channel Network A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr616
Gear in this thread - Nr616 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page