The Official Usher Audio Owners Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
post #541 of 553 Old 06-20-2016, 12:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyula Weeber View Post
Can you share a photo of your setup? especially about the cabling at the back...

I searching for streamer for my TIDAL use - any recommendation? Currently, I leaning towards Bluesound Node2... But OPPO 103 seems to have the online streaming function as well? Any experience?
Most of my streaming is from the U.S. via AppleTV and Amazon via VPN and a computer or Slingbox. I also have a Roku. These are all used mostly for video.

For audio my preferred alternative is the really old big black CD's about a foot in diameter. I also have CD's I've ripped ALAC to my computer that I stream over my local network. I do have a couple of bluetooth speakers I stream Amazon Music, iTunes, and a few other things, but that does not bring the best quality and is more casual, like cooking in the kitchen or getting ready in the morning. If you are looking for quality I've given up on streaming. Tidal is worth a shot but I am unwilling to pay that kind of coin for it so have no experience with it.

Have you checked out Syntrend downtown? They have lots of music and audio to play with. If you are in Taipei I know a few others....我會給你介紹一下。

As far as cabling, it's ugly back there and I'd give someone a heart attack. I have: Xbox, Wii, 2 turntables, 5 amps, AVR, phono pre amps, a TV, 2 pairs of front mains, a center channel, surrounds, Apple TV, Roku, laptop, DAC, Ethernet switch, Vonage adapter, phone, and a dedicated Audio-only pre-amp. It's absolute spaghetti back there and not recommended for small children or pets. I had a friend bring his dog over once and the dog wandered behind the rack and was never seen again. Amazingly I have no ground loops so far, and yes, it's far from ideal but, space, you know?

As far as wiring, for me it goes Roku>AVR>amp>speaker or Computer>DAC>Pre-amp>amp>speaker or something similar. It depends on the signal and how much I expect from it.

Last edited by Griller; 06-20-2016 at 12:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 553 Old 06-23-2016, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griller View Post
Most of my streaming is from the U.S. via AppleTV and Amazon via VPN and a computer or Slingbox. I also have a Roku. These are all used mostly for video.

For audio my preferred alternative is the really old big black CD's about a foot in diameter. I also have CD's I've ripped ALAC to my computer that I stream over my local network. I do have a couple of bluetooth speakers I stream Amazon Music, iTunes, and a few other things, but that does not bring the best quality and is more casual, like cooking in the kitchen or getting ready in the morning. If you are looking for quality I've given up on streaming. Tidal is worth a shot but I am unwilling to pay that kind of coin for it so have no experience with it.

Have you checked out Syntrend downtown? They have lots of music and audio to play with. If you are in Taipei I know a few others....我會給你介紹一下。

As far as cabling, it's ugly back there and I'd give someone a heart attack. I have: Xbox, Wii, 2 turntables, 5 amps, AVR, phono pre amps, a TV, 2 pairs of front mains, a center channel, surrounds, Apple TV, Roku, laptop, DAC, Ethernet switch, Vonage adapter, phone, and a dedicated Audio-only pre-amp. It's absolute spaghetti back there and not recommended for small children or pets. I had a friend bring his dog over once and the dog wandered behind the rack and was never seen again. Amazingly I have no ground loops so far, and yes, it's far from ideal but, space, you know?

As far as wiring, for me it goes Roku>AVR>amp>speaker or Computer>DAC>Pre-amp>amp>speaker or something similar. It depends on the signal and how much I expect from it.
Thanks,

Wow, you must have an impressive set... maybe its my future?

I realized that the built in DAC for Bluesound might be not balanced with the other parts of the system - I checked some forums, seems L.K.S MH-DA003, Aune S16 and Gustard X20 is highly recommended and within my price range. Or you have any opinion about Usher CD-7 Mark II? it has built in DAC...

Do you know any place where you can rent some DAC? I would prefer to try them on my system...
post #543 of 553 Old 06-23-2016, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Thanks,

Wow, you must have an impressive set... maybe its my future?

I realized that the built in DAC for Bluesound might be not balanced with the other parts of the system - I checked some forums, seems L.K.S MH-DA003, Aune S16 and Gustard X20 is highly recommended and within my price range. Or you have any opinion about Usher CD-7 Mark II? it has built in DAC...

Do you know any place where you can rent some DAC? I would prefer to try them on my system...
My system took 10 years to get where it is. It doesn't happen overnight and it is constantly changing.

I have heard the Usher CD and it doesn't do anything special for me. I would recommend listening to lots of different manufacturers. There are a few audio shows throughout the year, I recommend going to them to see what strikes you. For me, I have a soft spot for Balanced Audio Technology, Michell, Ayre, Pass Labs, and a few others. As a caveat my system is really built to take advantage of the analog domain so it is probably not your cup of tea. I really should invest in a DAC but the one I want is the Ayre QB9 and I haven't convinced myself it's worth it. I would rather get a turbocharger for the Miata! Seriously, listen at other dealers, everyone you can find. Something will strike you. If you need something now to get by, get something cheap to last until you get the one you really want. The DACs I am using right now are a Dragonfly and an HRT Music Streamer. Both illustrate how far DACs have come in the last several years, putting DACs over 5 years old to shame with ease. I am sure I am leaving money on the table in DAC performance, but I am unwilling to take a half-step and too cheap to take the full step to an all-out, no holds barred DAC. You can get a surprising amount of performance for not much money, but there are others that have far more experience than I on the digital side of the house, especially regarding DACs.

You may want to look at Audiogon.com for used gear. I have used it several times, all with good results. You can get quality used audio gear for a significant discount IF you can find someone willing to ship internationally. Use an escrow company to protect yourself and reassure the seller. The problem is you have to know in advance what you want as you usually cannot audition the gear.

I have never heard of anybody renting DACs. Some places will let you audition at home if you are serious but those are few and far between and you will likely need to be willing to spend tens of thousands of NT.

Good luck on your hunt and if you find something that works well with the Ushers please let us know!

Aloha,

G
post #544 of 553 Old 06-24-2016, 12:33 AM

Quote:
My system took 10 years to get where it is. It doesn't happen overnight and it is constantly changing.

I have heard the Usher CD and it doesn't do anything special for me. I would recommend listening to lots of different manufacturers. There are a few audio shows throughout the year, I recommend going to them to see what strikes you. For me, I have a soft spot for Balanced Audio Technology, Michell, Ayre, Pass Labs, and a few others. As a caveat my system is really built to take advantage of the analog domain so it is probably not your cup of tea. I really should invest in a DAC but the one I want is the Ayre QB9 and I haven't convinced myself it's worth it. I would rather get a turbocharger for the Miata! Seriously, listen at other dealers, everyone you can find. Something will strike you. If you need something now to get by, get something cheap to last until you get the one you really want. The DACs I am using right now are a Dragonfly and an HRT Music Streamer. Both illustrate how far DACs have come in the last several years, putting DACs over 5 years old to shame with ease. I am sure I am leaving money on the table in DAC performance, but I am unwilling to take a half-step and too cheap to take the full step to an all-out, no holds barred DAC. You can get a surprising amount of performance for not much money, but there are others that have far more experience than I on the digital side of the house, especially regarding DACs.

You may want to look at Audiogon.com for used gear. I have used it several times, all with good results. You can get quality used audio gear for a significant discount IF you can find someone willing to ship internationally. Use an escrow company to protect yourself and reassure the seller. The problem is you have to know in advance what you want as you usually cannot audition the gear.

I have never heard of anybody renting DACs. Some places will let you audition at home if you are serious but those are few and far between and you will likely need to be willing to spend tens of thousands of NT.

Good luck on your hunt and if you find something that works well with the Ushers please let us know!

Aloha,

G
I don't have any CD's or Vinyl at the moment - that's why I need DAC and streamer. Actually, Auralic CEO just replies to me personally, I was a bit surprised. Seems he is coming to Taipei next week.

I'll research and report I was thinking to write about the Amp anyway as it seems no English review about it.

Can I ask you to send some links where I can see audio expo's in TW? So far I couldn't find it. My Mandarin is bad but my girlfriend happy to help

I think I need to spend 30-40k to match the DAC for the system... And encourage Usher to make a good DAC
post #545 of 553 Old 06-25-2016, 08:56 PM

Quote:
I don't have any CD's or Vinyl at the moment - that's why I need DAC and streamer. Actually, Auralic CEO just replies to me personally, I was a bit surprised. Seems he is coming to Taipei next week.

I'll research and report I was thinking to write about the Amp anyway as it seems no English review about it.

Can I ask you to send some links where I can see audio expo's in TW? So far I couldn't find it. My Mandarin is bad but my girlfriend happy to help

I think I need to spend 30-40k to match the DAC for the system... And encourage Usher to make a good DAC
I imagine Auralic is coming for the WTC show in just over a week.

http://www.twtc.com.tw/e_content/B/B.asp?B1b_season=3

http://www.taiwanaudio.org.tw/2016audioshow/

http://www.top-link.com.tw

Have fun and don't blame me when your SO gets mad at you for spending so much money. Ask me how I know! Maybe I'll see you at the August show.

Aloha,

馬駿
post #546 of 553 Old 06-28-2016, 10:38 PM

Speakers are running in, the steamer is on the way but while I'm waiting here is some pics!

I think the inside of the amp would be interesting as no one seems posted it yet.
This one is Usher Au8500 mark... I don't know But finally, it has changeable power cord!
I'm not expert on these but I was curious what's inside!

Griller, thank for the info!

About the SO... one of the reasons I'm buying it now is that we are before the stage when she can complain about it So she enjoys it for now!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160626_23_06_55_Pro.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	296.0 KB
ID:	1519890   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160626_23_06_33_Pro.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	1519898   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160626_23_07_04_Pro.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	409.2 KB
ID:	1519906   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160626_23_06_48_Pro.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	259.8 KB
ID:	1519914   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160626_23_08_39_Pro.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	1519922  

post #547 of 553 Old 07-06-2016, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Usher Audio dealer in N. Calif.

There is a U.S. distributor but you would have to contact them for dealerships. Nothing is coming up on their website. They also show up used with deeper discounts on Audiogon once in a while as they are not one of the bigger names. They might be closer to your location.

Perhaps Katli can answer the dealership question if they are still reading this forum??
Usher Audio USA

Hi Guys,
I don't come to your forum as often as I should, I apologize. My time Vs work is always maxed out.
Yes, Marc from Soundscape has retired (good for him). I do have 3 dealers in the N. Calif area:

Sight and Sound Home Theater (David)
3151 Crow Canyon Place
San Ramon, CA 94583
925-806-9600

Sound Decisions Audio (Scott)
15732 # 533 Los Gatos Blvd.
Los Gatos Ca 95032
408 449 6774

Wells Audio (Jeff)
106 Bascom Ct.
Campbell, CA 95008
408-376-0861

I do not do direct retail sales unless there are no dealer in that State or region. Protecting dealer network integrity is my priority.
If anyone has any questions or if I don't response to forum questions in a timely manner, please feel free to email or call me. You can email me from my site because this forum do not allow me to post email address until I get more postings.

Fred Kat
Katli Audio
909-465-0222
post #548 of 553 Old 07-25-2016, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
In the market for some Usher 6381's or 6371's. Is there anything in particular I should know, other than their size?
post #549 of 553 Old 07-26-2016, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmclees View Post
In the market for some Usher 6381's or 6371's. Is there anything in particular I should know, other than their size?
Yes, that the chances of auditioning them are pretty much zero.

Never auditioned an Usher speaker I didn't like.

Sadly, Soundscape in Santa Rosa closed last year so no more auditioning of Usher speakers for me it would seem.

Love my lowly V602's though.
post #550 of 553 Unread Yesterday, 03:52 PM

Hello,

I'm a two channel stereo music lover.

My system:

Yamaha A-S3000 (Integrated Amp)
Yamaha CD-S3000 (CD/SACD/DAC player)
Acoustic Solid Wood (Turntable)

And a pair of fabulous, amazing and built-like-a-tank Usher Audio Mini Dancer DMD Two, speakers.

I'm working in speakers reposition process in a L-shaped room.

I'll will put a wool carpet on the floor between the loudspeakers and the armchair. I will put thick curtains in the window.
I wonder how it works a pair of cylinder diffusers in the sidewalls on the first reflections point.

¿Any suggestion to improve sound quality?
¿Furniture? ¿Speakers placement?

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1680.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	1605833   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1678.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	1605841   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1676.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	1605849  
post #551 of 553 Unread Today, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebuloide View Post
Hello,

I'm a two channel stereo music lover.

My system:

Yamaha A-S3000 (Integrated Amp)
Yamaha CD-S3000 (CD/SACD/DAC player)
Acoustic Solid Wood (Turntable)

And a pair of fabulous, amazing and built-like-a-tank Usher Audio Mini Dancer DMD Two, speakers.

I'm working in speakers reposition process in a L-shaped room.

I'll will put a wool carpet on the floor between the loudspeakers and the armchair. I will put thick curtains in the window.
I wonder how it works a pair of cylinder diffusers in the sidewalls on the first reflections point.

¿Any suggestion to improve sound quality?
¿Furniture? ¿Speakers placement?

Thank you
What kind of cartridge are you using? An MC cartridge would increase resolution if you are using MM.

It looks like a really live room. I would think the reflections would be pretty severe in there. I would not go for diffraction as much as absorption treatments. Do you have boom problems? If so some traps in the corners would probably help with that.

But really, the big question is: What do you want that you don't have right now?

For me, that answer is: Time in front of the speakers!

Address what bothers you. But only you can determine what you don't like about your system. I've thrown out some ideas above, but it really comes down to you.

If you are thinking about room treatments the first question is how long will you be there? If it is a long time making the investment in sound treatments makes sense. If shorter, then you will have to carefully consider the investment vs. improvement in SQ and if it is worth it to you. Room treatments don't always transfer easily to another room. The slap echo looks incredible in there, though. You might be able to get away with some rugs on the walls and floor if you move frequently.
post #552 of 553 Unread Today, 03:44 AM

Quote:
What kind of cartridge are you using? An MC cartridge would increase resolution if you are using MM.

It looks like a really live room. I would think the reflections would be pretty severe in there. I would not go for diffraction as much as absorption treatments. Do you have boom problems? If so some traps in the corners would probably help with that.

But really, the big question is: What do you want that you don't have right now?

For me, that answer is: Time in front of the speakers!

Address what bothers you. But only you can determine what you don't like about your system. I've thrown out some ideas above, but it really comes down to you.

If you are thinking about room treatments the first question is how long will you be there? If it is a long time making the investment in sound treatments makes sense. If shorter, then you will have to carefully consider the investment vs. improvement in SQ and if it is worth it to you. Room treatments don't always transfer easily to another room. The slap echo looks incredible in there, though. You might be able to get away with some rugs on the walls and floor if you move frequently.
Hello,

Thanx for your answer.

I use a Denon DL-103 and the tonearm is a custom version of Rega RB303 that Acoustic Solid put in their turntables usually.

The phono section is built-in Yamaha's A-S3000 amplifier. (see picture below for tech specs in Spanish, sorry!)

It is my permanent home.

Room dimensions:

21.6 square meters (226 sq feets) / 58.32 cubic metres (2,059.55 cubic feets)

I have ordered thick curtains for the window and a persian wool carpet 1,3 centimetres (0,51") thick to place between speakers and the archair.

I could put some bookshelves in the rear and sidewalls.

The room is too brightness and bass could be a bit more under controlled.

(I apologize for my no very precise English)

Greetings from Spain
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1246.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	1607265  
post #553 of 553 Unread Today, 04:56 AM

Spain! I love Spain! Beautiful country! Friendly people! Great shoes! And coffee! Spain has style and sunshine. I can't wait to go back!

As for the room, bass traps in the corners would probably help tame room nodes, but an easy fix and one I've seen several people do is to put foam plugs in the reflex port. Almost anything will do, furniture manufacturers or a home improvement store should have it, and it's CHEAP. I'd try that before blowing a fortune on bass traps.

You're on the right track for taming the brightness. You may want to treat the back wall too. I find when I turn my system up to 11 that I get bad reflections off my back wall. Of course, I shouldn't have it up that loud, but Zeppelin, you know?

Bookshelves filled with records make good dampeners.....

Greetings from Taiwan!
台灣歡迎你!

Last edited by Griller; Today at 04:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr929 9 2 Channel Network A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr616
Gear in this thread