The Official Usher Audio Owners Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 470 Old 04-12-2010, 07:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Audiovector - just curious, did you ever receive your Usher BE-616 center?
If yes, what's the color and finish underneath the side panels? How does the 616 fit and sound in your media bench?
Thanks,
Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 470 Old 04-12-2010, 08:28 AM

67steve
Glad you found this thread. The amp you describe "should" sound very good with the Ushers BE-10s, but try to first audition them with your own ears. Many Usher owners [of models BE-718s, BE-10s, 8871, 8571s] including myself report that these sound best with lots of clean power (300wpc - 600wpc). There are other reports that amps with high amperage, as well as great damping specs (although somewhat controversial) also help make these speakers sound their best.
Jack
post #183 of 470 Old 04-13-2010, 10:43 PM

I was curious if I get the BE10 for home theater , what is a good center channel and in wall surrounds to be a good tember match? I think the BE616 center is geared for the BE 718's or mini dancer one or two. Its to bad that they don't have a center with similar mid woofers to go with the BE10 or BE20. Has anybody used a BE616 with the BE 10's or 20's for HT? I also have to go in-wall for the rears , does anyone know a good match with those? This is a 60% HT and 40% serious 2 channel. I am concerned with the front stage(Frt. R, C, frt. L) matching sound wise! This may be the deal braker. Any suggestions?

Thank You , Steve
post #184 of 470 Old 04-13-2010, 10:47 PM

Jack7777

Almost forgot,Thank you for the reply, good to know.
post #185 of 470 Old 04-14-2010, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67steve View Post

I was curious if I get the BE10 for home theater , what is a good center channel and in wall surrounds to be a good tember match? I think the BE616 center is geared for the BE 718's or mini dancer one or two. Its to bad that they don't have a center with similar mid woofers to go with the BE10 or BE20. Has anybody used a BE616 with the BE 10's or 20's for HT? I also have to go in-wall for the rears , does anyone know a good match with those? This is a 60% HT and 40% serious 2 channel. I am concerned with the front stage(Frt. R, C, frt. L) matching sound wise! This may be the deal braker. Any suggestions?

Thank You , Steve

I have the MD2s and the BE616 in the front and, because of my room, I'm forced to go with in-ceiling speakers and they are B&Ws. I don't listen to surround music, but on blu-ray and other video surround sources, I don't notice a timbre difference when sounds go front to back or visa-versa.

ChrisG
Seattle, WA
post #186 of 470 Old 04-14-2010, 08:05 AM

I am not as concerned about front to back as much as the BE616 mid driver matching up with the metal mid driver of the BE-10. I guess i'm being picky about the front stage but the way I look at it , if I'm going to spent this kind of money, I would like to know if the front center will work with the BE-10's. My dealer does not have the center so I can't listen. As for the BE-10 is what captured my interest with usher, the 2 channel performance just blew me away! For that I would like to try my best to make this work with HT. I almost went with the Focal Electra 1038BE's with full matching center and surrounds ,untill I heard the Usher BE 10's. I then felt the Focals had a brightness with most music material. The mini dancer II's are very good but I would probably rather go with the Focals then. The BE-10 are worth the change to me. Has anybody heard the BE 616 with the BE-10?

Steve
post #187 of 470 Old 05-19-2010, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Do single BE718s get used as a center channel speaker much? I'm not seeing that in the systems described here.

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
post #188 of 470 Old 05-19-2010, 08:42 AM

No, the Usher BE-718 does not appear to be a frequent choice as a center - but there's no reason why not, if it sounds good to you in your system. The BE-616 seems to be the primary audition choice - if you can find it "in stock" at a dealer.
I have had a pair of 718s in my system about 7 months and suspect one might work well as a center. The 718 is very accurate and smooth. There might be a SQ difference if the 718 is placed horizontally, rather than vertically.
If you try it, please let us know how it sounds.
post #189 of 470 Old 05-19-2010, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

I suspect a horizontal placement would ruin imaging and time alignment, and change the tone -- and be a mismatch with the L+R. But it's short enough I can use it vertically, like I have in the past with some B&W805, Paradigm Studio 20s, and Mackie pro monitors. I find that method works better than even the best "center channel" design, in terms of seamless soundstaging.

But I also think I'd have to pick it up in the used market, since they seem to be sold exclusively as pairs (or so one local dealer contact indicated).

post #190 of 470 Old 05-19-2010, 02:41 PM

I would definitely use it "vertically" if your physical space permits.
Your local dealer contact may be correct about the difficulty buying a new single 718, as my pair of 718s were packaged by Usher in a single box with a coordinated serial number.
I too have not liked the SQ of most center channel speakers that I have heard, and am presently configured with a phantom center. IMHO, many centers in small and medium rooms do not smoothly integrate with the L and R. But centers do become necessary in large rooms with projection displays.
I will let you know if I hear of a used single BE-718 for sale.
post #191 of 470 Old 05-19-2010, 07:56 PM

When buying my speakers, I asked Usher (Taiwan, not the US vendor) about using one 718 in the center and the guy said they only sell them in pairs--period. I pressed him about the timbre variation between the different driver setups of the center vs side speakers, and he didn't seem to think it mattered too much.

He basically made it clear to me that Usher focuses on 2-channel audio more than home theater, and that the only reason they added the x616 and be616 was due to customer requests. He added that most people that use a center channel are connecting it to a home theater receiver or preamp with auto-calibration features that will remove any noticeable differences that the different midrange driver configuration might have.

My personal experience with phantom center was not very good. I have a very VERY small room and thought a phantom center would be ideal, especially since the 616 takes up so much space in the room under the screen. However, after watching a couple movies first with then without the 616 in place, I realized that without a center, you actually miss out on some of the spatial effects in the audio mix. A perfect example of this is in Star Trek when Nero appears on the Enterprise’s view screen and orders Pike to surrender. With three speakers in the front, Nero’s voice alternates between flat and 3-dimensional. With only 2 speakers, his voice stays flat throughout his speech.
post #192 of 470 Old 05-19-2010, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I've used both kinds of setups and for my projection and surround music setup, I won't consider anything where I cannot have three identical speakers across the front soundstage. I feel strongly enough about it that I would actually compromise on which speakers (based on size and availability) in order to be able to have that configuration. I had some awesome Thiels for the L and R for a while, but couldn't fit an identical speaker for the center, under the screen, and had to move on.

I guess even though the BE718 are only sold as pairs, I could pick up a pair and sell one of them. I'm likely not the only person with a similar prejudice

post #193 of 470 Old 05-21-2010, 01:50 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack7777 View Post

Audiovector

For reasons unknown to me, Usher's US distributor in Texas does not make it very easy to identify Usher's dealer network. I tried to find out this information last year. My impression is Usher does not have many US dealers, and the dealers they do have tend not to not stock anything close to the entire line. Hope they improve on this in 2010.

Unfortunately Usher Audio has US importer that has had many dealers who wanted to be a part of the company only to be let down by lack of inventory, excuses for lack of product, and an importer who sell product out the backdoor at barley above dealer pricing. As with some other companies in the mainstream anymore, its very very tough to be a B&M dealer and make any type of profit. the US importer sells on both Ebay and Audiogon which is a direct violation on their reseller policy
post #194 of 470 Old 06-15-2010, 04:59 AM

Liked: 12
Jack7777
Sorry for the late reply. I have the Be616 center but as we are rebuilding our house a friend of mine is using it in his HT. He has the Be-10 as front speakers and the 616 center sounds absolutely wonderful in that set up. Before I hooked it up in his system I thought that the big front speakers would cover for his own mediocre center, but when the Be-616 entered - wow. He is now a becoming owner of a 616 center him self. I have it in piano black and pioneer birch. it is very beautiful.
post #195 of 470 Old 06-15-2010, 11:02 AM

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a pair of used be-20s. They have beryllium tweeters. I have few questions about it.
- Is there any other difference besides diamond tweeters between new series of be20 and the older one? Is there an option to upgrade it to diamond tweeters later?
- Usher's global site says they are 4ohms, Usher USA says it's 8ohms. Which one is true?
-I'll probably drive them with a McIntosh Amp. MA7000 is my first choice. This 2x250w amp will be enough for be20s or not? If not, I'd like to hear suggestions.

Thanks for answers.
post #196 of 470 Old 06-15-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13ege View Post

Is there any other difference besides diamond tweeters between new series of be20 and the older one? Is there an option to upgrade it to diamond tweeters later?
- Usher's global site says they are 4ohms, Usher USA says it's 8ohms. Which one is true?
-I'll probably drive them with a McIntosh Amp. MA7000 is my first choice. This 2x250w amp will be enough for be20s or not? If not, I'd like to hear suggestions.

You may draw different perspectives from various Usher speaker owners, and YMMV, but in general, for the BE-10s, BE-20s and BE-718's:
1. Yes, there are physical/scientific differences between the "BE alloy" drivers and the "Diamond alloy" drivers, but the sonic differences may be subtle, depending on your associated electronics. Some listeners report the Diamond alloy driver is "smoother or slightly recessed" as compared to the BE, but others believe perhaps too much so. A lot depends on the amp/pre etc.
2. I have heard/read that Usher will replace the BE-718 alloy drivers for Diamond alloy drivers for free. But some, as I, who have the BE alloy tweeters (I have the BE-718s) feel this speaker already strikes a proper balance in favor of open/air realism, versus being too bright.
3. I don't have BE 20's, so I can't answer the 4 ohm versus 8 ohm question.
4. The general feeling is that an amp with 250wpc of clean power, with sufficient headroom, amperage and damping, would be a minimum to derive the full SQ potential from these speakers. Many report a clear SQ improvement with 300wpc to 600wpc. I personally would not go with less than 300wpc.
Hope this helps.
Jack
post #197 of 470 Old 06-15-2010, 05:27 PM

Thanks Jack,

For first question; I asked for the differences ''except'' tweeters like crossovers, dimensions, weight, etc... This is essential for me, I can go with a new one if there are some differences.

I'll probably upgrade its tweeters after few months. Depending on be's sound. I loved the way Paradigm Sigs' beryllium sounds. I hope it won't be necessary.

Ouch, finding a minimum of 300w amplifier will be painful and costly. I guess I still have to go with MA7000 until my financial damage get recovered BTW, usher's website says be20's power handling is 200w, what about that?

...Or, here is a new idea; I ordered a PS Audio's Perfectwave DAC, which can be used as a preamp also. I can use with a McIntosh 400w stereo power amp for less cost but I guess it won't give a real Mc sound.
post #198 of 470 Old 06-16-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:

For first question; I asked for the differences ''except'' tweeters like crossovers, dimensions, weight, etc... .

I'll probably upgrade its tweeters after few months. Depending on be's sound. I loved the way Paradigm Sigs' beryllium sounds.

Ouch, finding a minimum of 300w amplifier will be painful and costly. I guess I still have to go with MA7000 until my financial damage get recovered

BTW, usher's website says be20's power handling is 200w, what about that?

...Or, here is a new idea; I ordered a PS Audio's Perfectwave DAC, which can be used as a preamp also. I can use with a McIntosh 400w stereo power amp for less cost but I guess it won't give a real Mc sound.

1. I believe (but please confirm) Usher simply replaces the BE alloy drivers with the Diamond alloy drivers, without any other changes.

2. Your experience loving the SQ of beryllium alloy drivers is shared by many.

3. I understand your dilemma - my close friend is also a McIntosh electronics devotee. It's probably a good plan to first try your M 250wpc amp with the BEs, as you may enjoy it so much there would be no reason to upgrade.

4. I interpret Usher's website info as a minimum or average wpc recommendation to help audiophiles with purchase decisions. The feedback from most reviewers and Usher BE speaker owners is that they sound best with more than 200 wpc of high quality, clean power. Some also indicate that a high quality amp design re headroom amperage and damping is also important (but some of this may be subjective)
post #199 of 470 Old 06-16-2010, 08:04 AM

Thanks again Jack,
Today I went to listen Usher 8571, I can't say I loved them but I know it's not a fair comparison to understand how be20 will sound. There was a lack of bass and I can't get the details from low frequencies but loved the mid details and diamond tweeter. Tomorrow, I will listen be10s with a Gryphon integrated that I've found there to have
a better opinion. I won't have a chance to listen be20s so be10s' performance will determine my decision. Gryphon amp is an used Gryphon Diablo. It's in a very good condition and looks like a new one. MA7000 has x 1.5 of price than Gryphon. Looks like it'll be a better solution. Diablo also is 2 x 250w and there is no doubt that Gryphon is one of the bests around.
post #200 of 470 Old 06-17-2010, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
13ege: The Be718 BE->DMD replacement is not free. It is 890.
post #201 of 470 Old 06-17-2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNetRunner View Post

13ege: The Be718 BE->DMD replacement is not free. It is 890.

Wow, that is not cheap Perhaps that price only applies to replacements from areas outside of Taiwan or the U.S. I have heard it is a free replacement in the U.S. Thanks for the update.
post #202 of 470 Old 06-17-2010, 08:45 AM

Be to diamond replacement is not a problem. I'll think about it maybe after 1 year of use. BTW, I received a reply from Usher, they said that be20s' impedance is 4ohm and the model with beryllium tweeter's desing, crossover and cabinet are the exact same of DMD version. I'm really confused about its impedance. Usher USA's website stated 8ohm.

What do you guys think about Gryphon Diablo? I guess since Usher told that be20s are 4ohm, 2x500w will be more than enough, right?
post #203 of 470 Old 06-17-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:

.... What do you guys think about Gryphon Diablo? I guess since Usher told that be20s are 4ohm, 2x500w will be more than enough, right?

I have no personal listening experience with any of the Gryphon amps, but based on their reputation and reviews, it should sound very good with any of the Usher BEs. But the most important Q is how it sounds in your home to your ears - see if your dealer will permit a "no obligation 30 day home audition". Many U.S. dealers allow this.
post #204 of 470 Old 06-17-2010, 09:30 AM

Well, in Turkey, we are lacking good dealers. BTW, since negotiations are completed, I am going to buy walnut be20s this weekend. They only used for 45minutes, no difference between a new one. Will pay 12.000$. I guess this is an hell of a bargain even in USA but in Turkey this is a miracle. I will listen Diablo with be10 tomorrow, I hope I'll like it. I'll offer 6.600$ for it.

How can it be possible to not have anyone in avsforum who owns be20s? I'm really wondering about their impedance...
post #205 of 470 Old 06-17-2010, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
A 4 ohm impedance should be no problem for a high quality amp. I do not see a reason to spend that much on a 2 channel amp, but it is up to you.
post #206 of 470 Old 06-17-2010, 10:44 AM

As you may know, an amplifier is not just about powering the speakers. So, for these speakers even spending 6.600$ for an integrated amp is not enough. IMHO, these beasts deserve high quality pre + monoblocks but to have at least 250w of monoblocks one needs to splash at least 10.000$(in Turkey) which I can't afford right now. In fact, economical conditions are different between USA and here, I'm sure of that there are many other options in Usa for 6.600$ but not in Turkey.
post #207 of 470 Old 08-30-2010, 06:49 AM

Hey Guys, any thoughts on powering S520's with a Cambridge Audio Sonata AR30 amp?
post #208 of 470 Old 08-31-2010, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
post #209 of 470 Old 09-18-2010, 09:33 AM

I own a pair of V-604s which are a great speaker, but in the pursuit of even higher fidelity I am thinking about changing the woofer-drivers. Has anyone ventured into upgrading from the 8935 to the 8945 or 8948? What were your results?
I've already changed the tweeters from the 9930s to the 9950s. A big improvement in smoothness, a more layered sound and further clarity. No modifications needed in the crossovers. It has yielded a significant step up in quality and is now more revealing of the limitations of the upsteam components. If you are driving with high-end tubes, this is a must improvement. I highly recommend it for V series owners.

Best regards.
post #210 of 470 Old 10-05-2010, 10:43 AM

Hello again,
I completed my stereo system that we discussed here like 2 months ago.

Current system for stereo:

Usher be20
Gryphon Diablo
PS Audio Perfectwave DAC&Transport
Macbook Air (until i get perfectwave bridge)
Sonoran Plateau interconnects and speaker cables

I would like to eveyone here who helped me with their opinions. It's a great experience to use an hi-end stereo.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr929 9 2 Channel Network A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr616
Gear in this thread - Nr616 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page