The Official Usher Audio Owners Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-15-2008, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased a Pair of Usher CP-6381's and a X-616 center. I came from the Paradigm Camp, but after hearing the 6381's fell in love. So after 2 more additions at 2 other shops, decided to sell the Paradigms and go with the Ushers. For the Price, finish and quality, they are a great bargain. Just don't see much about them on AVS. So for those of us that own them here is a place to post pictures, talk about them etc.

Here are my new babies.
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2008, 12:30 AM

Count me in, Ushers all around

Front X-929
Center X-616
Rear X-718

Regards--------
Old 06-16-2008, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks dbacksfan. It's about time for an Usher thread around here. Usher is definitely one of the best deals in audio, IMHO.

My fronts are CP-6311 and an S-525 for a center. I used to own a pair of the S-520, and they were fantastic for such a small, inexpensive monitor. Even with the recent increase in price, they are still a bargain.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:34 PM

Liked: 11
Happy S-520s owner here, great looking and sounding speakers. Can't think of much better in this price range. I used them for mostly HT and Gaming, and they sounded GREAT with COD4 and Halo. I'd use a sub for HT use.

_______
~ Joe
Old 06-16-2008, 09:39 PM

Absolutely...Great products and even better values. Have you guys heard the BE-718s yet?

Tyler Mueller

Next Level Audio and Video
www.nextlevelav.com
tyler@nextlevelav.com
Old 06-17-2008, 03:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I for one, not for being an owner, but for the fact that Usher is getting to be the popular choice for budget but real high end speakers, would like to see one on this site.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmueller View Post

Absolutely...Great products and even better values. Have you guys heard the BE-718s yet?

I bought a pair a few weeks ago, very nice for music. Using them for strictly 2 channel. I also run Revel's but I really like these things...alot!

I'm surprised that there isn't alot more interest in the speaker threads about the 520 though (I also own these). What a speaker for 4 bills. Fit, finish, SQ, it really has it going on.

Russ
Old 06-17-2008, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg View Post

I'm surprised that there isn't alot more interest in the speaker threads about the 520 though (I also own these). What a speaker for 4 bills. Fit, finish, SQ, it really has it going on.

The 520's are indeed some of the best deals currently in the market. My complain is that you'd have to drive them with some powerful amps to get the best sound and you'd have to play them reasonably loud as well to get them to open up. Probably because of the restricted soundstage...
Old 06-17-2008, 10:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda View Post

The 520's are indeed some of the best deals currently in the market. My complain is that you'd have to drive them with some powerful amps to get the best sound and you'd have to play them reasonably loud as well to get them to open up. Probably because of the restricted soundstage...

I wouldn't play them too loud without a subwoofer though.

I have heard the Be-718 and think it is a great speaker. Have also heard the Usher V series, and thought they were excellent values.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

Old 06-17-2008, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Change the title to "Official Usher Audio Thread"...
Usher Audio deserves its own thread... !!
Old 06-17-2008, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Change the title to "Official Usher Audio Thread"...
Usher Audio deserves its own thread... !!
Old 06-18-2008, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just sent a PM to the moderators to change the name. I will change my original post a bit once the change has gone through.

Time to post some pics of your speakers. Not only do they sound great, There entire lineup from top to bottom looks amazing.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:15 AM

I'll be making a trip over to China later this year and will stop by in Hong Kong for a few days. Curious if anyone knows the list price of Usher Audio speakers there? I'm hoping to pick up some gear to bring back and want to check out these speakers and some of the Chinese amps (Dussun comes to mind).
Old 06-21-2008, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVries View Post

I'll be making a trip over to China later this year and will stop by in Hong Kong for a few days. Curious if anyone knows the list price of Usher Audio speakers there? I'm hoping to pick up some gear to bring back and want to check out these speakers and some of the Chinese amps (Dussun comes to mind).

I would guess they sell them there, but Usher is made in Taiwan. But some of the Chinese audio stuff would be cool. It would be nice to pickup a Tube amp on the cheap.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:46 PM
wje
AVS Special Member

I have a pair of S-520s in my bedroom. Driven by an H/K receiver, and I'm using a subwoofer. The sound is very good - I use it as a music-only system. Impressive product for the price.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:36 PM

I have been very happy with the V-602's and V-603 center in my home theater. Had the 602's for about a year in a two-channel system, then moved them into the HT and bought the center six months ago. Surrounds are Swan 5.2Rs. Rears are Audiosource 8" in-ceiling (pivoting tweeter). Sub is Paradigm.
LL
Old 06-30-2008, 10:54 AM

Talked with the usher usa distributor based in dallas (where i am).

Says there are plans to release a BE-520 this year. Using the same tweeter as the BE-720 and a new faster woofer.
Didn't know the release date or the price, but felt that it would be under a grand.

Sweet.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiered View Post

Says there are plans to release a BE-520 this year. Using the same tweeter as the BE-720 and a new faster woofer. Didn't know the release date or the price, but felt that it would be under a grand.Sweet.

I didn't know they have a Be-720. Is the Be-520 going to use beryllium tweeter? It's hard to believe they'll be selling it for less than a grand if it's in the Dancer line.

Yesterday I went to the local Usher dealer to audition the Be-718. Since this is basically the CP-8577II floors without the low bass woofer and costs 1/3 price (where I'm at anyway), I thought it'd fit better in my small listening room. The demo wasn't set up properly due to the speaker and the sitting position but I was impressed enough right away purchase a pair in white piano finish. I guess I've always been a sucker for exotic tweeters and Scanspeak-like woofers. I don't know yet how it would go with my class D amps in my actual setup at home as I won't be taking the delivery for another month. If it's too bright, I'm thinking of pairing them with the cheap but advanced Onkyo A-9755 class D that only takes analog inputs. Not sure yet as I've just auditioned that amp with some B&W's and found the low and highs too pronounced. But to be fair those B&W's were hooked to a Lexicon and that was a match made in heaven. Anyway I can't leave the digital realm yet but if I have to, the only traditional amp I'd get is the Bryston B100DA which still has built in DAC. The problem is 100W @ 8 ohm won't be enough for power hungry Ushers.

I also had the chance to audition the X-708 and found it too bright and more artificial but they'd be able to play well any kind of music including the hardest rock and metal. The X-708 does have the extended soundstage that the S-520's are missing and will be the model of choice for HT. Actually I might just do that in the future...

Anyway, I'm gonna make myself busy painting my old Newform R630 pearl white. They'd match better with the 718's. I'll post the results in the DIY section once they're done.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:27 AM

My bad. I meant to say Be-718, not 720 ( your right that doesn't exist!)
Old 07-11-2008, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=JVries;14130707]Curious if anyone knows the list price of Usher Audio speakers there?/QUOTE]

Haggle at 45% discount from US retail price list. You'll probably deal at 42% or so depending on the model and their stock.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiered View Post

My bad. I meant to say Be-718, not 720 ( your right that doesn't exist!)

So a Be-518? I doubt it'll be less than $1K even in Taiwan. That's the X series territory.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:33 AM

I was told it would be the be-520 that would use the same tweeter as the be 718s. the reason it would be a grand or less is that it isnt directly competing with x series as the x series has a larger woofer the 520's (be or regular)

However, the woofer, while still the same size as the 520s is supposed to be new. Lighter and quicker to keep up with the be tweeter.

sounds good to me.

Pair it with a sub and your good to go!
Old 12-03-2008, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mystery solved. It's not Be-520, they're called Mini Dancer 1 and Mini Dancer 2. The 1 is basically the floorstander version of Be-718 with more bass extension. 2 way too which makes it the perfect speakers for me. Interestingly enough though the sensitivity of Dancer 1 is 85dB compared to the Di'Appolito style Dancer 2 that has 90dB. The price of the 1 is $2500 according to my local dealer but in US it's probably a lot higher. This will be an interesting comparison to the new Salk Song Towers...

http://www.usheraudio.com/speaker-mi...ancer%201.html
Old 12-09-2008, 09:50 PM

Hi, everyone,
I'm a user of Usher speaker in Taiwan, and surprised there still exist some users in US. I love Usher speakers very much. I believe it's the No.1 speaker in Taiwan. I'm going to buy a pair of Be-718, but I got a trouble that I can't find a proper AMP to drive it. In fact, this is a common problem for Usher fans in Taiwan. I will like to know which AMP you are using. Or any advise about it. Thanks.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytzer View Post

Hi, everyone,
I'm a user of Usher speaker in Taiwan, and surprised there still exist some users in US. I love Usher speakers very much. I believe it's the No.1 speaker in Taiwan. I'm going to buy a pair of Be-718, but I got a trouble that I can't find a proper AMP to drive it. In fact, this is a common problem for Usher fans in Taiwan. I will like to know which AMP you are using. Or any advise about it. Thanks.

Not sure about the amp thing, but could you ship me a pair of CP-6391s? I really want that model, but unfortunately it's been discontinued in North America! As an Usher user, you are lucky to live in Taiwan where the pricing and selection is exceptional...
Old 12-11-2008, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVries View Post

Not sure about the amp thing, but could you ship me a pair of CP-6391s? I really want that model, but unfortunately it's been discontinued in North America! As an Usher user, you are lucky to live in Taiwan where the pricing and selection is exceptional...

I just a Usher user, not a dealer, can't help you. As I know, the Taiwan Usher can only ship the speakers to Taiwan and China.
In Taiwan, I can buy a cheap Usher speaker, but a good amp, either from US or Europe, will cost 2~3 times than one in US. It's fair.

I do have a pair of 6391, good for bass. 6-series is the only one for HT, and it should not be discontnued shortly. But most of people prefer to 6381. Maybe that's why 6391 will be discontinued.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:33 PM

I'm a proud owner of the Be-718. I'm pairing them with Musical Fidelity A5 integrated amp and Squeeze Box 3.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:26 AM

I've had my 718's for about three weeks now and I have them on my old Target stands. I was going to order a pair of Sound Anchor stands but I'm waiting for more info on the bass modules Usher is coming out with. I'm wondering if they're going to be anything like the ones for the S-520's.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:10 PM

I'm probably going to pull the trigger on a pair of S-520s, which have been quoted by a couple dealers in my area at $380 with holiday sales. I'm trying to decide on an integrated amp/receiver to power them. It's most likely going to be either the Cambridge 540A or the Harmon Kardon HK 3490.

I've been hearing great things about both and the price is the same. I just can't decided whether the the tuner, digital input, and dedicated bass management on the HK is necessary. I won't be adding a sub right away.

Either way, can't wait!
Old 01-26-2009, 07:13 PM

Liked: 12
Just got a pair of Be-718's in today. I am very impressed with the craftsmanship and can't wait to pair them with my Emotiva RPA/RSP-2 combination.

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr929 9 2 Channel Network A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr616