$300 - $500 for a good set of 5.1 speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 06-21-2008, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi, im looking for a good sets of 5.1 speakers i can have in my room.

my room is 13' by 9'3 feet
i have a Samsung Ln52a650 with a Yamaha rx-v663 receiver and a ps3.
the tv is mostly for gaming, blu-ray watching, and music listening as i like to have friends over to chill.
so im hoping to get a good set of speakers to go with this. Plez help

its a fairly small room so im hoping to have speakers i can hang on the wall.
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 06-21-2008, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Get this

http://www.heartlandamerica.com/brow...001004&DL=SCH2

Get a $300 Elementail Designs sub and you will have a pretty decent 5.1
post #3 of 28 Old 06-21-2008, 01:51 PM

Here are some options I posted in a couple of other threads. You should be able to adjust the choices slightly to get close to your price range:

How about 4 A3-5tc and matching A6-5t5 along with the A2-250 sub for $629 shipped. http://www.edesignaudio.com/htpackage.php

Or two pairs of the Athena LS series bookshelves and the matching center for $300 from audioadvisor.com and get your choice of $300 subwoofer. (Like the ed A2-300 for $315.)

Or the HSU Performance 1 package http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/performance1.html

Or how about 4 Polk R50 towers http://shop2.frys.com/product/4005092, plus the CS1 center http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Mon...3728422&sr=1-1 or buy a 5th R50 if you can find the space for it. Then add a BIC H-100, x-sub, or Outlaw LFM-2 subwoofer. If you need to go cheaper, try the Athena AS-P4100 or Velodyne VX-10, but you are giving up some performance by doing so.

By the way on the Polk's from Fry's, people sometimes find that it is cheaper on shipping to have a separate order for each individual speaker rather than buying them all on one order.

Also, you can try speakers from here. They may be low-end, but with a completely risk free trial, it won't hurt to give them a listen.
http://www.thespeakercompany.com/sto...isplayHomePage

The JBL Venue series is being discontinued, shop around for those and you may get some good deals in your price range.

This should be enough choices to create a listening list to try out.
post #4 of 28 Old 06-21-2008, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

i was looking at the Polk Audio RM6750 5.1 Channel Home Theater Speaker System ~250 and the Polk Audio RM6880 5.1...i can get it from amazon for ~500.

are these good sets compared to what Ubersanger recommanded?
post #5 of 28 Old 06-21-2008, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huyen View Post

i was looking at the Polk Audio RM6750 5.1 Channel Home Theater Speaker System ~250 and the Polk Audio RM6880 5.1...i can get it from amazon for ~500.

are these good sets compared to what Ubersanger recommanded?

anybody?
post #6 of 28 Old 06-22-2008, 03:44 AM
Advanced Member

You would be better off with the Elemental Designs or Athena systems mentioned above. The satellite surround systems are ok if you just want to have surround sound and something louder than the tv speakers. But for the most part, they tend to sound like TV speakers on roids. Very tinny, with no mid or low end bass and screaching highs. You will be much happier with a small bookshelf system.

"Hey, don't forget smoking lamp...oh I'm sorry, was that expensive piece?"
post #7 of 28 Old 06-22-2008, 05:41 AM

you can get those polk 6750's at frys.com for $199, and $20 shipping.
All reviews I read on the polks were good
post #8 of 28 Old 06-23-2008, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubersanger View Post

Here are some options I posted in a couple of other threads. You should be able to adjust the choices slightly to get close to your price range:

How about 4 A3-5tc and matching A6-5t5 along with the A2-250 sub for $629 shipped. http://www.edesignaudio.com/htpackage.php

Or two pairs of the Athena LS series bookshelves and the matching center for $300 from audioadvisor.com and get your choice of $300 subwoofer. (Like the ed A2-300 for $315.)

Or the HSU Performance 1 package http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/performance1.html

Or how about 4 Polk R50 towers http://shop2.frys.com/product/4005092, plus the CS1 center http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Mon...3728422&sr=1-1 or buy a 5th R50 if you can find the space for it. Then add a BIC H-100, x-sub, or Outlaw LFM-2 subwoofer. If you need to go cheaper, try the Athena AS-P4100 or Velodyne VX-10, but you are giving up some performance by doing so.

By the way on the Polk's from Fry's, people sometimes find that it is cheaper on shipping to have a separate order for each individual speaker rather than buying them all on one order.

Also, you can try speakers from here. They may be low-end, but with a completely risk free trial, it won't hurt to give them a listen.
http://www.thespeakercompany.com/sto...isplayHomePage

The JBL Venue series is being discontinued, shop around for those and you may get some good deals in your price range.

This should be enough choices to create a listening list to try out.

ya, i decided to get 2 Polk R50 tower (frys) and a CS1 center (amazon) but now the problem is that for my room is too small to have 2 more tower in the back so i will need to get something small so i can hang on the wall.

plez recommand a nice set of small surround
post #9 of 28 Old 06-23-2008, 02:25 AM

i was in a situation like you about the same budget for speakers, but I agree with what ubersanger said about the JBL venue series. Today I picked up a pair of JBL Venue Series Stage 6-Inch 3-Way floor speakers and a pair of JBL Venue Series Monitor 5-Inch 2-Way Speakers all for about $200. Now all I have to do is buy the JBL Venue center speaker at Amazon.com for $99 and I am set. My room is only 10x10 and my Onkyo 606 and these speakers provide enough bass for my ears already that I may decide not to get one.

The polk R50's were also on my list, but the styling of the JBLs sold me.

For the rears, maybe the Polk RM6751? they run about $44 dollars for one on amazon right now.
post #10 of 28 Old 06-23-2008, 02:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotc View Post

i was in a situation like you about the same budget for speakers, but I agree with what ubersanger said about the JBL venue series. Today I picked up a pair of JBL Venue Series Stage 6-Inch 3-Way floor speakers and a pair of JBL Venue Series Monitor 5-Inch 2-Way Speakers all for about $200. Now all I have to do is buy the JBL Venue center speaker at Amazon.com for $99 and I am set. My room is only 10x10 and my Onkyo 606 and these speakers provide enough bass for my ears already that I may decide not to get one.

For the rears, maybe the Polk RM6751? they run about $44 dollars for one on amazon right now.

can u tell me where did u get ur JBL sets at thanks
post #11 of 28 Old 06-23-2008, 03:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

I'm also running the Venues in my small room and for the ridiculously low prices they're going for right now, I can't imagine a better value for a very budget conscious shopper. I have a 7.1 setup with Stages for mains, two pairs of Tours wall-mounted for surrounds, a S-Center II center speaker, and two SVS PB10-NSD subs in my 11x10 room. They're great speakers for a budget price. I haven't heard those particular Polks so I can't compare them, but I can say I'm very pleased with the JBL's.

Oh, and lotc....trust me, it's still worthwhile to get a sub
post #12 of 28 Old 06-23-2008, 03:15 AM

Quote:

can u tell me where did u get ur JBL sets at thanks

i bought two of these, these are a steal for $70 imo.

http://shop4.frys.com/product/479648...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

and

two of these, go to amazon and put JBL Venue Series Monitor 5-Inch 2-Way Speakers (Pair) in the search function since the link doesnt work

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Venue-Moni...4212365&sr=8-1

I am going to buy this later this week to complete the whole set minus the Sub.

Go to Amazon.com put in JBL Venue Series Voice Center Channel 5-Inch 2-Way Dual Speaker in the search function. Since the link doesnt work

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Center-Cha...4212365&sr=8-4

If your looking for a sub, Frys has the Velondyne sub for $129 right now, I forgot what model, but its more than enough for a room your size.

So if you put everything together it shouldnt be more that $500 or just about $500 The only costly thing is shipping for the speakers from frys.

Hopefully the links all work. Those are the cheapest you can get those right now, I spent about $200 luckly because the Best Buy I went to was selling their last two sets of JBL monitor 5in for $40. But you can still get a good deal on these.
post #13 of 28 Old 06-23-2008, 03:17 AM
Advanced Member

You can pick up the R150's for $81, they are the match to your R50 fronts

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Two...4212535&sr=1-2

"Hey, don't forget smoking lamp...oh I'm sorry, was that expensive piece?"
post #14 of 28 Old 06-23-2008, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakersfan34 View Post

I'm also running the Venues in my small room and for the ridiculously low prices they're going for right now, I can't imagine a better value for a very budget conscious shopper. I have a 7.1 setup with Stages for mains, two pairs of Tours wall-mounted for surrounds, a S-Center II center speaker, and two SVS PB10-NSD subs in my 11x10 room. They're great speakers for a budget price. I haven't heard those particular Polks so I can't compare them, but I can say I'm very pleased with the JBL's.

Oh, and lotc....trust me, it's still worthwhile to get a sub

okay i will take your word on it...hopefully I can find a JBL sub for cheap somewhere because I want to just have one brand. But if not I will buy the Velondyne sub which is on sale at Frys right now for $129. But I have to grab the JBL venue center before they go back up in price on Amazon.
post #15 of 28 Old 06-23-2008, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

okay i will take your word on it...hopefully I can find a JBL sub for cheap somewhere because I want to just have one brand. But if not I will buy the Velondyne sub which is on sale at Frys right now for $129. But I have to grab the JBL venue center before they go back up in price on Amazon.

lotc, u've convince me of getting the JBL set since my setup is all black and i was not really liking the idea of having cherry polks tower.

a question about the surrounds. were u able to hang them bookshelves? and what sub do u recommand with this set. i c ur considering the Velondyne sub. any other 1?

Thanks

any one compared the JBL with the Polk floor standing speakers?
post #16 of 28 Old 06-23-2008, 01:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Shouldn't you at least go listen to some speakers to determine which you like best? Why would you let a forum member convince you on what to buy instead of letting your ears make that decision?

Go audition some speakers, then purchase.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #17 of 28 Old 06-23-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:

lotc, u've convince me of getting the JBL set since my setup is all black and i was not really liking the idea of having cherry polks tower.

a question about the surrounds. were u able to hang them bookshelves? and what sub do u recommand with this set. i c ur considering the Velondyne sub. any other 1?

Thanks

Sub depends greatly on how much you are willing to spend. I personally have the JBl SUB12 which I picked up clearance for $130 and for that money it is great. I listened to many budget subs and I felt I would have to move above $200 delivered to find anything better. It digs deeper and is stronger than the Velodyne, although the Velo is more musical. The Velo is a great choice in the under $200 delivered category as is the Dayton Sub-120 from Parts Express and the Athena AS-P4100 which you can get for $150 shipped. If you can move up, at $250 delivered the BIC H-100 is the dominant choice for HT, othere choose the X-sub for music at that price range. Then you move into the $300+ category and you start hitting many more options, but from what I have gathered, this may be more than you are able/willing to spend.

Just to be clear, there is a large jump in performance as you move above $300 in the sub category vs the under $200 subs that may be more readily available.
post #18 of 28 Old 06-23-2008, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Shouldn't you at least go listen to some speakers to determine which you like best? Why would you let a forum member convince you on what to buy instead of letting your ears make that decision?

Go audition some speakers, then purchase.

i live in canada and all we have in my location is bestbuy and futureshop. the polks and JBL set cannot be found here so i cant really listen to them and im buying all of it online so im basing most of my option on price and recommendation.
post #19 of 28 Old 06-23-2008, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubersanger View Post

Sub depends greatly on how much you are willing to spend. I personally have the JBl SUB12 which I picked up clearance for $130 and for that money it is great. I listened to many budget subs and I felt I would have to move above $200 delivered to find anything better. It digs deeper and is stronger than the Velodyne, although the Velo is more musical. The Velo is a great choice in the under $200 delivered category as is the Dayton Sub-120 from Parts Express and the Athena AS-P4100 which you can get for $150 shipped. If you can move up, at $250 delivered the BIC H-100 is the dominant choice for HT, othere choose the X-sub for music at that price range. Then you move into the $300+ category and you start hitting many more options, but from what I have gathered, this may be more than you are able/willing to spend.

Just to be clear, there is a large jump in performance as you move above $300 in the sub category vs the under $200 subs that may be more readily available.

ya, im looking to spend 150-200 up to 250 max for a sub. so i heard good review about the BIC H-100, dont really know the X-sub...
post #20 of 28 Old 06-23-2008, 01:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMike View Post

You can pick up the R150's for $81, they are the match to your R50 fronts

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Two...4212535&sr=1-2

You can get the R300 floorstading speakers for $79/pr and then wouldn't need speaker stands like you would with the R150.

http://newspaperads.mercurynews.com/...22126290&type=

Afro GT
post #21 of 28 Old 06-23-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:

Thanks

I am going to hang up my bookshelf speakers like this.
http://www.overclockers.com/articles818/index.asp

I havent found a sub yet, maybe the JBL venue sub or the velondyne.
post #22 of 28 Old 06-26-2008, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

i just got the Center from bestbuy for 70 bux
im gonna order a pair of JBL Venue Series Balcony on photobucket for 110.
ordering the Stage from Frys

the sub. i was gonna get the JBL Venue Series SUB10 (~160) or the JBL Venue Series SUB12 (~200).

should i get the sub to match the set or would u recommend getting a better 1?
post #23 of 28 Old 06-26-2008, 11:26 PM

Quote:

the sub. i was gonna get the JBL Venue Series SUB10 (~160) or the JBL Venue Series SUB10 (~200).

where did you get the center from bestbuy? I want one still...thats is a great deal huyen. I think theres a 12in sub for the venue series if im not mistaking.
post #24 of 28 Old 06-27-2008, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

the sub. i was gonna get the JBL Venue Series SUB10 (~160) or the JBL Venue Series SUB10 (~200).

I'm a Venue owner but I'd definitely recommend a better subwoofer. JBL's lower end subs aren't very good. If you could swing the Bic H-100, it would be a great option. Also, the X-sub from ********** is on sale for $159 right now. The cheapest option I could recommend would be the Velodyne VX-10, but the other two should be better IMO.
post #25 of 28 Old 06-27-2008, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

where did you get the center from bestbuy? I want one still...thats is a great deal huyen. I think theres a 12in sub for the venue series if im not mistaking.

i went to BestBuy in Michigan and saw that they were selling it for 69.99 clearance sell so i picked up 1.
ya they do. that was a spelling error. the 12" is ~200
post #26 of 28 Old 06-28-2008, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakersfan34 View Post

I'm a Venue owner but I'd definitely recommend a better subwoofer. JBL's lower end subs aren't very good. If you could swing the Bic H-100, it would be a great option. Also, the X-sub from ********** is on sale for $159 right now. The cheapest option I could recommend would be the Velodyne VX-10, but the other two should be better IMO.

comparing the Bic H-100 to the X-sub, is it a big difference for the ~100 dollar difference, or its comparable...remember, my room is about 9' x 13'. so i dont need a HUGE sub.
post #27 of 28 Old 06-28-2008, 06:27 AM

The X-sub still runs about $215 with shipping, so the shipped price difference between the two is about $35. In that size of room, I personally would go with the X-sub, given its noted edge in musicality, especially with the price it is now.
post #28 of 28 Old 07-02-2008, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

alright, i just order everything i needed today and i would like to thank ubersanger lalakersfan34 and lotc for all ur help.

once i have everything in place, i will take a picture to show how it look
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page