Paradigm vs Polk - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 06-26-2008, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently graduated from college and am setting up my first budget system. I come from a home of higher end audio and so must purchase something of my own to fill the void.

The company I have been hired at does some marketing work for Polk and Polk has allowed us to get a discount on their wonderful products (to an extent, only on the RTi, TSi, and Monitor Series)

I have been looking at speakers and for the overall price range I have not been able to find a better value at my price point than the Paradigm Monitor series, however given what I can get the RTi A9s for I can't help but feel torn. I have been able to listen to both speakers, however only on separate occasions as I have been unable to find a retailer in my area that carries both.

I lean towards the Paradigms simply because I think I might be in love, but am I just hearing what I want to hear? Also what type of price range should I expect to pay for the Monitor 9/11s? I have only one retailer in the area that carries Paradigm and I'm afraid he is trying to gouge me.

I appreciate any input our thoughts.

~Plasters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-26-2008, 04:08 PM

Which Paradigm? In my opion the Paradigm puts out a better detailed sound that is less compressed sounding then the Polks. The Polks are a good speaker but for me Paradigm has better sounding product that does a better job for movies. I would also look at Monitor Audio speakers, they also IMO have a better detailed sound then the Polks for movies and it would be a toss up between Paradigm and Monitor.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-26-2008, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

i'm looking at the monitor 7 or 9s right now possibly the 11s if i can get my dealer to work with me a little. I forgot to mention that these will be used probably 80% music 20% HT.

I was originally attracted to the paradigm's because of their efficiency as I'll be powering them with a simple onkyo txsr605 until I can see what the new higher end onkyo/denon/HK offer up this year.
post #4 of 13 Old 06-26-2008, 04:48 PM

Guys if your considering paradigm, look at my add in the speaker classifieds. I have a pair of paradigm monitor 7's on there for sale, and i am willing to take less than you might think. If your interrested pm me with an offer.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-26-2008, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm working towards a Digm setup myself. I've listened to them many times, and keep coming back. Once upon a time I was in the shop to pick up a 5.1 system, they were out and I left with a Klipsch set up, I've also tried Infinity and currently have JBL, I always wish I had gotten the Paradigms.. so I'm just going to do it and get it over with.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-26-2008, 08:51 PM

Paradigm for sure. Very good product across all lines and very fair pricing. Just because you can get something cheap doesn't mean its a good value. Remember speakers will last a long long time and a couple extra bucks now to get what you want will be well worth it over years and years of regret. Thats just my $0.02 though.
post #7 of 13 Old 06-27-2008, 01:16 AM
Advanced Member

Expect to pay approx:

Mon 7= $675 pr
Mon 9= $850 pr
Mon 11= $1200 pr
Atom= $250 pr
CC-290= $425
CC-390= $ 600
These are very much ballpark figures and will depend on the area you live in, if the dealer has them in stock and the stores sales volume among other factors.
Example: I ended up paying $1300 for (2) Mini's, (4) Atoms and the CC-290. Which is 15% percent off retail. They are the black ash and were all in stock.

"Hey, don't forget smoking lamp...oh I'm sorry, was that expensive piece?"
post #8 of 13 Old 06-27-2008, 03:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Back when I was in college, my first real decent speakers were Paradigms. They do sound compressed compared to more expensive stuff but they probably have improved A LOT since then.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-27-2008, 05:12 AM

I've had both monitors series and Paradigm sounds best to me. more clearer and detail.
post #10 of 13 Old 06-27-2008, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPlasters View Post

i'm looking at the monitor 7 or 9s right now possibly the 11s if i can get my dealer to work with me a little. I forgot to mention that these will be used probably 80% music 20% HT.

I was originally attracted to the paradigm's because of their efficiency as I'll be powering them with a simple onkyo txsr605 until I can see what the new higher end onkyo/denon/HK offer up this year.

I'm not that familiar with Paradigm's big floorstanders but from what I've seen from reading a bazillion posts on the Polk Rti12's or A9's (basically the same speaker) is that they are fairly power hungry. Polk will argue they aren't power hungry but folks have done testing on them and for their lower 3 bass drivers the impedence is lower than the rest of the speaker and lower impedence = lower efficiency, which leads to the appearance of inadequate bass performance. Once people put dedicated amps (200 wpc) to these speakers they report as if they have a totally different speaker.

Outside of the amp issue, it really comes down to preference. I've spent a fair amount of time listening to both Polk and Paradigm and I like them both quite a bit. You need to go listen to the Polk's if you haven't already. Speaker preference is highly subjective, there are no hard rules of which speaker is better.
post #11 of 13 Old 06-27-2008, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
I was looking to upgrade my Infinity Alpha 50's with Paradigm Studio 100's. I was so excited to hear the Digms. Once I did, I was a little disappointed. They were better than my speakers, but not much better, and not better enough to justify the enormous cost difference.

You are also looking at the step down Paradigm line. I would venture to guess that the Polk RTiA9's will be every bit as good. Listen to both, judge yourself. If the Polk's can come close or beat the Paradigms, and your saving money....that is gravy. I'm actually interested in hearing the Polk A9's, and see how they compare to my current Infinity's. Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide.

I like Ice Cream!
post #12 of 13 Old 06-27-2008, 07:20 AM

Good point about the power requirements. What equipment the store uses to drive them will greatly affect the sound. I recommend negotiating a time during the week to bring in your own gear. Going from the stores 100wpc amp to my 250wpc amp was a transformation. I wasn't going to buy the digm's but the extra power made a big difference and I was sold. Note that I was auditioning the Studio line.
post #13 of 13 Old 06-27-2008, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

I did a side by side test of Monitor 11 vs. Polk RTI A9.

I ended up buying the Polk for several reasons:

1. Lower price but similar sound quality
2. MUCH better asthetics. The curved cabinet looks great
3. I heard the Paradigm Signatures, and just couldnt bring myself to buy the Monitors.

Also, when doing a side by side test, be sure to level the volume, because the Paradigm's are more sensitive, and will play louder. My friend fell for this until I equalized the volume, then he also liked the Polk better.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page