Upgrading fronts and center, suggestions needed/welcomed - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-14-2008, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently bought a house and have some breathing room in regards to audio. I am currently using a 6.1 set up with the Onkyo 805 as my receiver. I have M&K LCR 45s as my fronts and center. I have 2 M&K K-4s for the surrounds and an older Polk center as my rear center. I am also using a Definitive 10" as a sub.

I would like to replace the rear Polk center with the LCR 45s for a 7.1 set-up after purchasing the front speakers.
I am looking to spend no more than $1300, but will spend more if there is a compelling reason.

I am thinking of buying the Definitive Mythos 7 way for a center, and Mirage
4 1/2 as my fronts.

I realize mixing and matching is not the way to do it, but I must make due with what I have. I want a more dynamic audio experience with better voice reproduction, and I love hearing details. Any suggestions/opinions are welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-14-2008, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can you take a shot of your current set-up and post it here?

There "may" be something going on with your set-up that "could" negate the need to replace your speakers.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-14-2008, 12:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzy View Post

I am thinking of buying the Definitive Mythos 7 way for a center, and Mirage 4 1/2 as my fronts.

What is a "Mythos 7 way" and a "Mirage 4 1/2"?

If you have to mix brands, but plan to replace all 3 speakers of your front array, why wouldn't you at the very least try and match those 3 front speakers?

I would try to figure out what is not working well with your current perfectly matching front speakers, buy a lower cost pair of speakers to use as the side or rear surrounds (mixing brands not really such an issue with surrounds), and consider replacing your subwoofer. My $0.02.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #4 of 5 Old 07-14-2008, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwien View Post

Can you take a shot of your current set-up and post it here?

There "may" be something going on with your set-up that "could" negate the need to replace your speakers.

At this point I cannot, since I have not moved in yet. I was judging my experience based upon my the sound in my apartment, which will have a very similar set up to where I am moving too. I'm do not pretend to be an expert, but I know some of the basics such as speaker angle, height, distance, etc.

If its not worth my time or money to upgrade, that would make the wife happy
post #5 of 5 Old 07-14-2008, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

What is a "Mythos 7 way" and a "Mirage 4 1/2"?

If you have to mix brands, but plan to replace all 3 speakers of your front array, why wouldn't you at the very least try and match those 3 front speakers?

I would try to figure out what is not working well with your current perfectly matching front speakers, buy a lower cost pair of speakers to use as the side or rear surrounds (mixing brands not really such an issue with surrounds), and consider replacing your subwoofer. My $0.02.

This the Definitive center
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1151658129611
Here are the fronts
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1153337017137

The reason I mixed on the fronts is the wife. Unfortunately, form factor can be an issue, and she wants some kind of piano finish. The Mirage seemed to be the best value I could find while fitting both our needs.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page