killed my def tech studio monitor 450 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-20-2008, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
well i fried my mid/low on my def tech studio monitor 450 watching Apollo 13 in HD DVD on my Denon 3808CI. I was a +17.5 on the volume control. I had the fronts set to small with the bass sent to a supercube I and a 2002 CLR center. the right main started smelling like smoke and the sound went bad. the mid is the most obvious dead part. can i replace this? i've pulled it and googled the part number on it with no results. thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-20-2008, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafo9 View Post

well i fried my mid/low on my def tech studio monitor 450 watching Apollo 13 in HD DVD on my Denon 3808CI. I was a +17.5 on the volume control. I had the fronts set to small with the bass sent to a supercube I and a 2002 CLR center. the right main started smelling like smoke and the sound went bad. the mid is the most obvious dead part. can i replace this? i've pulled it and googled the part number on it with no results. thanks.

You probably need to contact the manufacturer on this one. If it were a sealed box you could probably just get any cheap 6 1/2" driver from PE or Madisound and get away with it but reading about this speaker it appears to have a side mounted 10" passive radiator. The tuning of this is more critical than a basic sealed system especially in such a small box. If you do choose to just get a replacement driver that fits then pay particular attention to the value of Qt, you're going to want something with a low value here probably 0.3 or lower.

If you want to continue listening at such high levels the best bet might be to just get them playing again with the cheapest workable driver you can find and then sell them so you can replace them with something capable of higher output without damage. Get something with multiple drivers...to share the current load on the coils. Also, get a bigger amplifier, you probably killed them with clipping.

Monte
post #3 of 5 Old 02-10-2013, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you are going to scrap your speaker, could I buy the binding posts from you?
post #4 of 5 Old 02-10-2013, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Contact Chet at Definitive and more than likely he will send you a replacement at little to no cost. DT is very good at taking care of their customer and switching out a speaker is very easy.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-10-2013, 02:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Guys. This a 4 1/2 year old thread you are jumpstarting. Let it stay dead. LOL

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page