A way to connect headphones to Vizio VW32L? (digital audio out to headphones?) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-11-2008, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought this TV, but I overlooked the fact that it does not have any 3.5mm headphones jack on it. The only output form it has is digital audio out.

Now, when I play PS3 late night, I only play using headphones since I don't want to take others up.

So, how do I go from here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-12-2008, 02:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Get a headphone amplifier with a built-in DAC that will accept optical input (or digital coax, if that is the type of digital out on your TV). Check out the forums and sponsors at head-fi.org in the amps section. But note that those devices cost hundreds of dollars.

Or you could connect the headphones directly to the audio out of the PS3, using the appropriate adapter cables.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-12-2008, 02:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmi4ever View Post

Get a headphone amplifier with a built-in DAC that will accept optical input (or digital coax, if that is the type of digital out on your TV). Check out the forums and sponsors at head-fi.org in the amps section. But note that those devices cost hundreds of dollars.

Zero Dac/Amp is awesome, but is also about $180 shipped.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-12-2008, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter

180$ lol, might as well sell the TV and add in a 100$ for a TV which has a 3.5mm port. Anything cheaper at all? Quality is not a priority for me for this. I just searched for headphone amplifiers with specs as stated above, and most of them are in this price range.

""Or you could connect the headphones directly to the audio out of the PS3, using the appropriate adapter cables.""

My ps3 is connected to the TV with the HDMI. What ports on it will use the cables? I searched, and having a hard time finding what you say, any examples of the cable names?
post #5 of 6 Old 08-12-2008, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by params7 View Post

My ps3 is connected to the TV with the HDMI. What ports on it will use the cables? I searched, and having a hard time finding what you say, any examples of the cable names?

I'm assuming the PS3 has a pair of plain old RCA audio jacks. Does it? If it does, you'd need an adapter cable with RCA connectors on one end and a jack (hole) that you can connect your headphone into on the other end. Or maybe two cables or adapters when put together result in the same thing. Go to Radio Shack or Best Buy and explain the situation ... and hopefully (and lots of hope) you'll find somebody who knows what they're doing who can find what you need.

Knowing how HDMI is restrictive, I don't think you'd be able to get the digital output to work from the TV given that the source is coming from HDMI. What's the brand and model of the TV?
post #6 of 6 Old 08-12-2008, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by params7 View Post

180$ lol, might as well sell the TV and add in a 100$ for a TV which has a 3.5mm port.

Actually the Zero DAC would sound a great deal better than the jack on the TV. I know from your other post you are not concerned with the quality of sound, but I thought it should be said anyway.
Reply Speakers