Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 27
My audio system consists of:

Onkyo 805 receiver
2 Polk RTi8 - Fronts "bi-amped"
1 Polk CSi5 - Center
2 Polk Fxi3 - Surround
1 Boston Acoustic - Subwoofer from HTIB "waiting on MFW-15 to get here"

After I ran Audyssey, I left all settings and popped in a movie. I was not very impressed with the sound. I checked the settings/changes that audyssey made and it had made my L/R/C all full band, the sub 80hz and surrounds 100hz. Also, it had double bass ON? It got the distances pretty spot on but the crossover settings seem out of whack to me.

Can anyone suggest proper crossover settings for me to try on this setup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-17-2008, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
The bass output from the htib is probably weaker than your mains as soon as you get
your new sub rerun calibration things will be different.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-17-2008, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Those RTi8 are 40Hz-26kHz +/- 3 dB, I'd set them to small and try a crossover of 60 or 80. I'd try 80 or 100 for the CSi5 and leave the FXi3 at 100.
post #4 of 9 Old 08-17-2008, 01:12 PM

Also turn the double bass to off.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-17-2008, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

The sub is from a MCS130 setup which is 10" 200 watts. So its not to pathetic but no where can't even compare to the sub that im waiting to get here.

I will try those settings this evening and see how it sounds. Should I leave the sub on 80hz?
post #6 of 9 Old 08-17-2008, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Feelgood View Post

The sub is from a MCS130 setup which is 10" 200 watts. So its not to pathetic but no where can't even compare to the sub that im waiting to get here.

I will try those settings this evening and see how it sounds. Should I leave the sub on 80hz?

Until the "new" sub gets delivered, I wouldn't run a sub at all and I would set all your speakers to large. You should see some definite improvement that way.

And do it manually if you do it. I find that Audyssey isn't all that great in every situation.

Russ
post #7 of 9 Old 08-17-2008, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg View Post

Until the "new" sub gets delivered, I wouldn't run a sub at all and I would set all your speakers to large. You should see some definite improvement that way.

And do it manually if you do it. I find that Audyssey isn't all that great in every situation.

I will also try this. Where in the setup menu on the 805 can you specify large/small speaker size?
post #8 of 9 Old 08-17-2008, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Feelgood View Post

I will also try this. Where in the setup menu on the 805 can you specify large/small speaker size?

Onkyo 805 doesnt have the "large/small" option.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-17-2008, 03:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Just to clarify, Audyssey doesn't "set" the speakers to "Large" or "Small". It measures the -3 dB point of the speakers in the room and reports it to the receiver. The receiver *manufacturer* decides what constitutes a "Large" or "Small" speaker. Onkyo uses 80 Hz. IOW, any speaker that has *any* response below 80 Hz is set to "Full Range", (AKA "Large"). Audyssey actually recommends that they be reset to have a crossover engaged, which is Onkyo's terminology for "Small". When they are first reset off "Full Range", the suggested crossover should come up. You should not reset the crossover below this setting as Audyssey will not correct below the -3 dB point of the speakers. This would involve boosting the levels below the -3 dB point, which could be dangerous to amps and speakers. The crossover can be *raised* and Audyssey will still EQ the entire system. However, it should not be *lowered*.

Audyssey is working with the numbskull's at the manufacturers to get them to change how they determine whether a crossover will be engaged or not. So far, they've convinced Denon to use 40 Hz. Onkyo is a little behind on this one, as are some of the other manufacturers.

To the OP: Until you get the new sub, I would follow Russdawg's advice and run without a sub. Once you get the new sub, re-run Audyssey and, if it set your speakers to Full Range", reset them to the appropriate crossover.

For more information on Audyssey, please see the "Official" Audyssey thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=795421
Chris Kyriakakis, the Founder and Chief Technical Officer of Audyssey posts there all the time and is *very* helpful. Also, there is a document being constantly updated showing all the little tricks and details to properly set up and use Audyssey.

Russdawg, your inconsistent results with Audyssey can probably be made more consistent by following the setup procedure documented in the Audyssey thread. Good luck.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page