AV123 ELT 525 VS Aperion intimus 4t hybrid - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 08-18-2008, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I believe there was already a thread on the forum about this before but it seems to have gotten wiped out during the great AVSforum crash of 2008. Has anyone out there had the opportunity to demo either of these speakers packages or better yet both? What are your thoughts on them and how do you think they would compare? Both packages are priced extremely close and each company has a great reputation.

Currently I'm leaning towards the ELT package coupled with an MFW-15 subwoofer but I'm hoping first to get more opinions before making a final decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-18-2008, 12:24 PM

I was in the same situation and I got the Aperion.
Decision was mainly because of style (the Aperion's fit better with the furniture) and size (less depth, smaller), can place them easier.
Sound wise I don't know if there is a big difference, although probably the ELT would have the edge if it's a bigger room, so you should compare them with the 5 series from Aperion.
As for elt vs 5 series, I have no clue which one is better. Price there are close, and style is very nice for both of them. The elt color is a little more picky though.

For now I'm waiting for the Aperion, should come tomorrow. I'll post later (probably when I will get the subwoofer also) if I'm happy with them.
I got the receiver which was coming with the elt promotional package.
post #3 of 18 Old 08-18-2008, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know if you getting the ELT package will help get you a discount on the MWF 15. If it does, it might be well worth heading ELT just for saving a few $$$$$. Call to find out. When I purchased my Rockets, I got a discount on my MFW 15. Worth asking.
post #4 of 18 Old 08-18-2008, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post

I don't know if you getting the ELT package will help get you a discount on the MWF 15. If it does, it might be well worth heading ELT just for saving a few $$$$$. Call to find out. When I purchased my Rockets, I got a discount on my MFW 15. Worth asking.

Funny you said that. I did ask if they would include some discount on the MFW-15 with the purchase of the ELT package. Jess (av123 sales associate) said he couldn't offer an additional discount on the MFW-15. He did however mention that there is already a promotion attached to any MFW-15 purchase (with or without ELT purchase). I believe the promotion is a $70.00 credit that can be used on future (after sept 15th) av123 purchases.
post #5 of 18 Old 08-18-2008, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab_t View Post

I was in the same situation and I got the Aperion.
Decision was mainly because of style (the Aperion's fit better with the furniture) and size (less depth, smaller), can place them easier.
Sound wise I don't know if there is a big difference, although probably the ELT would have the edge if it's a bigger room, so you should compare them with the 5 series from Aperion.
As for elt vs 5 series, I have no clue which one is better. Price there are close, and style is very nice for both of them. The elt color is a little more picky though.

For now I'm waiting for the Aperion, should come tomorrow. I'll post later (probably when I will get the subwoofer also) if I'm happy with them.
I got the receiver which was coming with the elt promotional package.

Definitely post back with your listening impressions. I plan on getting the Denon 1909 myself and would really like to hear your thoughts on how it sounds with the Aperions.
post #6 of 18 Old 08-18-2008, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab_t View Post

The 5T Hybrid system is significantly more expensive that the ELT system.

5.0 system (2 towers, center, 2 bookshelves): Aperion $1790, ELT $1247.

With the current ELT deal, you can get the 1909 avr included for $1699.
post #7 of 18 Old 08-18-2008, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaiii View Post

The 5T Hybrid system is significantly more expensive that the ELT system.

5.0 system (2 towers, center, 2 bookshelves): Aperion $1790, ELT $1247.

With the current ELT deal, you can get the 1909 avr included for $1699.

I don't know about you guys but that is quite a chump change....like almost a 78% chump change to a MWF 15.

Does the ELT comes with free shipping or at a cost?
post #8 of 18 Old 08-18-2008, 05:47 PM

The 525 is really more comparable price wise to the 4T's. I too am making the same decision, and if I buy before Sept 1st I'll prob go with the ELT's just for the receiver deal...If I can't make it in time I'll have to do some more research. As a side note, if I did go with the Aperions, I would not get the package with subwoofer. It doesn't save you any money, and from what I'm reading for the price of the bravis, you can get something better along the lines of hsu, svs, epik, etc.
post #9 of 18 Old 08-18-2008, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

John W.
Indy
post #10 of 18 Old 08-18-2008, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

The 4T's are tough to beat,if it was me I would go with the 4T's,it would be fun to hear a little shootout,I might see who I can find in my area that has the ELT's for kicks. The 4T's play down solid to around 40 htz with great low level detail in my room with a enourmous soundstage and with a sweet extended topend they really crank to,they really are amazing.
post #11 of 18 Old 08-18-2008, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post

I don't know about you guys but that is quite a chump change....like almost a 78% chump change to a MWF 15.

I might be misunderstanding what you're trying to say...but to me, a difference of $543 is much more than chump change.
post #12 of 18 Old 08-19-2008, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 213
I have an ELT525 7 channel system in cherry. My cherry MFW-15 should arrive next week. I also have a pair of the rosewood ELT525 monitors in my office. These speakers are absolutely gorgeous and I love the way they sound. Last night I listened to Eagles: Hell Freezes Over with just the towers in full range mode. When I first got them, they were a little bright, but now the speakers are smooth and very detailed. The soundstage is very wide with lush vocals. I upgraded to them from Atlantic Technology System 170 speakers. The AT's were more laid back and lacked the detail, imaging, and soundstage that these provide.
post #13 of 18 Old 08-19-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post

When I first got them, they were a little bright, but now the speakers are smooth and very detailed.

How many hours have you had on them? I was deciding between 5T and 525T and ended up getting 525T as I couldn't find many review on 5Ts. I've had 525T in my living room for a few days now and they do sound bright to me (I've read one poster describing the sound as something to the effect of cool breeze on the mountain top, and that is very close to how I feel - they do not sound warm to me), I've only had probably ~5 hours on them so hopefully it'll get better. They sound great with music and HT, but the bright sound bugs me a little. I still have 3 weeks left on the in-home trial, need to listen more. I was just listening to the Hell Freezes Over this morning but with an x-sub running, I'm gonna try the 525T by themselves and see how they sound.
post #14 of 18 Old 08-19-2008, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hqubic View Post

How many hours have you had on them? I was deciding between 5T and 525T and ended up getting 525T as I couldn't find many review on 5Ts. I've had 525T in my living room for a few days now and they do sound bright to me (I've read one poster describing the sound as something to the effect of cool breeze on the mountain top, and that is very close to how I feel - they do not sound warm to me), I've only had probably ~5 hours on them so hopefully it'll get better. They sound great with music and HT, but the bright sound bugs me a little. I still have 3 weeks left on the in-home trial, need to listen more. I was just listening to the Hell Freezes Over this morning but with an x-sub running, I'm gonna try the 525T by themselves and see how they sound.

Interesting, I've never heard of anything from av123 being "bright". What receiver are you using?
post #15 of 18 Old 08-19-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rferrar1 View Post

Interesting, I've never heard of anything from av123 being "bright". What receiver are you using?

I have a 10-year old Yamaha (80 wpc V793). From what I've read, the rocket and x lines from av123 are both warm/full sounding (I've never heard them), and quite a few who are familiar with those lines have found ELT525 to be very different, but many (like desertdome here) have also reported some smoothing out after break-in. I had a pair of paradigm mini monitor before, and compare to them the 525T definitely sounds brighter (and more crisp and clear) to me. I have them in a 14x18x8 room, ~5 feet apart and ~10 feet from listening position.

If I'm not mistaken the Aperion also offer risk-free in-home trial, why not get both sets and return the one you like less?

[EDIT] BTW there are quite a few 525 impression threads at av123forum.com under loudspeaker section, most include some comparison to other av123 products. They probably won't be on the 1st page (atm most are MFW-15 related), but if you check the first few pages you'll surely find some.
post #16 of 18 Old 08-20-2008, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Found an interesting article on enjoythemusic.com where the two bookshelves from both the Aperion and AV123 lines are compared. There doesn't seem to be a clear "winner". Here is a snippet from the article.

Quote:

Compared to the similarly priced AV123 ELT525 speakers the Aperion 4B's deliver a bit better low-level resolution, but the ELT525's have a more relaxed and musical presentation. And while the ELT525 could be used without a subwoofer, the 4B definitely needs to be mated with a subwoofer for maximum enjoyment. As you might expect, given their smaller size, the 4B speakers deliver substantially better image specificity and disappear more completely in a nearfield listening environment. Although both speakers utilize silk dome tweeters, the ELT525 has a smoother, sweeter treble presentation while the 4B seems to have a bit more top end air. Is there a clear winner? No. My favorite wavers depending on the music source and my mood at the time. Both are pretty darn remarkable...

And a link to the full article http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...earfield21.htm

Given what is said in the article. I can't tell if the reviewer is recommending the ELT over the Aperions for music or movies and vice versa. Would "smoother, sweeter treble" be better for music or movies? I really wish there were more professional reviews of these two speaker lines. I don't trust Cnet's review of the Aperions on its own simply because they dont seem to review anything from AV123. All the Cnet article does is confirm that yes the Aperions kick ass, but without more av123 reviews its hard to tell which line kicks more ass.

Edit: I should also mention the above review doesn't compare the tower speakers of either line.
post #17 of 18 Old 08-24-2008, 06:14 PM

I have both a Aperion system ( 12d sub / 5T's / 5C and a pair of 4bs ) and the ELT special along with 2 more book shelf's and a MFW 15 sub on the way both will be at my home this week.
My room is 20 X 18, I already have the Denon 1909 so i got a discount on the AV123 package.
I am off till for the whole week so I hope to get enough time to compare teh two adequately.
The ELT system is a lot cheaper than the Aperion system and eithere way I will probably keep the MFW 15 over the 12D.
The MFW 15 is a lot cheaper and has better specs.
post #18 of 18 Old 08-25-2008, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by revise View Post

I have both a Aperion system ( 12d sub / 5T's / 5C and a pair of 4bs ) and the ELT special along with 2 more book shelf's and a MFW 15 sub on the way both will be at my home this week.
My room is 20 X 18, I already have the Denon 1909 so i got a discount on the AV123 package.
I am off till for the whole week so I hope to get enough time to compare teh two adequately.
The ELT system is a lot cheaper than the Aperion system and eithere way I will probably keep the MFW 15 over the 12D.
The MFW 15 is a lot cheaper and has better specs.

Great News..... Please post back with your thoughts, I'll be anxiously waiting!!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page