Full range waveguide speaker pair under $2k? - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 126 Old 08-29-2013, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

Was thinking of the Geddes foam HOM plug. Seems like a company like partsexpress.com would be able to sell enough of these for horns, like the horn below, that it would be viable comercially to sell and make a profit. May be covered by a Geddes patent, but likely he wouldn't charge a lot - hard to tell without asking him.

After all, once you were set up to cut the desired shape, the material should not be terribly expensive to get.

Example of DI horn that had sold well: QSC PL-000446GP Replacement Waveguide Horn for HPR152i

Anyone know someone who might be interested in making these comercially to inquire about this?

Also, anyone find a good source of this foam? I searched and found some in sheets that were too thin and would have to be layerd, but doesn't seem like glue would be a good idea. Believe hobbists home use would not infringe with a Geddes patent in any way.

Regards,
Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 126 Old 08-29-2013, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
For hobbyists to use foam in a horn is just as much of an infringement of my patent as it is for a company to do it. Obviously there is little to be gained from suing an individual. But for Parts Express or some other company to start selling the foam would be a good target for a law suit so I would not think it wise for them to try such a thing without a license.

By the way, the foam material actually is quite expensive and there is a lot of waste when the foam plug is cut from a block. Add a license fee and a double markup for the retailer and you are looking at nearly $100 each, easily. Do you think that there is a market at that price?

Earl R. Geddes
GedLee
post #123 of 126 Old 09-20-2013, 03:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Mr Geddes,

Sorry I offended you by suggesting a supplier like parts source could be selling foam plugs to the DIY community. Would have thought you would love that thought as you could have got a cut from them if as you say personal DIY is not excepted from patent law.

Second, guess I feel you are giving conflicting signals on this for the DIY people. First you tell what type and density of foam to use, then later you tell us it is illegal to use foam as you do even for personal / home use. Doesn't seem consistant at all to me. Believe you probably wanted some to try it and get some positive feedback going to help sell your patent to manufacturers, which is fine. Just need to know which it is, OK for DIY community to use or is it illegal.

Third, $100 is nothing. Take a look at the audiophile accessories catalogs, Hundreds and even thousands of dollars for magic cables, stands, wood blocks that resonate and much, much more.
One hundred dollars is nothing it the article actually has a chance of helping. If the fluff that is being sold is any example there is certainly a market.

Regards,
Greg
post #124 of 126 Old 09-20-2013, 05:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedlee View Post

Room EQ is a seriously misunderstood problem.

Understood. But I was wondering if passive eq is better than digital. If only cost is the issue, I'd still felt that digital eq is more accurate than analog.

Today it's a matter of scale. If all you want to do is simple eq on 1 channel in an analog context, then analog can be very cost effective.

If you want 5+ section full parametric eq on 5-7-11 channels, then analog is probably not the most cost-effective solution today. If you are working in the context of an AVR where the signals are already in the digital domain, and you have other complex processing to do (e.g. surround decoding of 20-11 different flavors), then digital is pretty much a slam dunk from a cost perspective.

Digital is more accurate than analog, but again for simple applications, analog can be way good enough.
post #125 of 126 Old 09-20-2013, 05:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

Fair enough...but
Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

I research to build to the best solution possible.

That statement alone is subjective.

There are formal procedures for finding "best" so it doesn't have to be subjective.

In the end we seem to always drive those formal procedures with subjective choices of weights if not boundaries, so in some sense, everything is subjective.
post #126 of 126 Old 09-20-2013, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstarkey View Post

Hello Mr Geddes,

Sorry I offended you by suggesting a supplier like parts source could be selling foam plugs to the DIY community. Would have thought you would love that thought as you could have got a cut from them if as you say personal DIY is not excepted from patent law.

Second, guess I feel you are giving conflicting signals on this for the DIY people. First you tell what type and density of foam to use, then later you tell us it is illegal to use foam as you do even for personal / home use. Doesn't seem consistant at all to me. Believe you probably wanted some to try it and get some positive feedback going to help sell your patent to manufacturers, which is fine. Just need to know which it is, OK for DIY community to use or is it illegal.

Third, $100 is nothing. Take a look at the audiophile accessories catalogs, Hundreds and even thousands of dollars for magic cables, stands, wood blocks that resonate and much, much more.
One hundred dollars is nothing it the article actually has a chance of helping. If the fluff that is being sold is any example there is certainly a market.

Regards,
Greg

Hi Greg

I was simply stating the fact that according to the law individual infringement of a patent is no different than if done by a company. But I was also clear that it would make no sense to go after an individual so I wouldn't bother. Because someone describes their invention in detail is not an invitation to infringe it. Its all there in the patent anyway, so why not tell people. Lots of people have tried foam and reported results over at DIYAudio, so what you suggest is exactly what has happened.

The right thing to do if you want to try using foam is to buy it from me and request in writing the freedom to use it for your individual usage. Many have done this and it gives them protection if that's what they want.

Earl R. Geddes
GedLee
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page