Speaker question(suggestions) and tying cables together whether or not quality goes. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-22-2008, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

I have finally seen the light and upgraded my sound system(I had a Bose). What i have now is a Panasonic SA-XR50 receiver with a Athena LC100 Center Channel, Quest QB6NX front speakers, Quest subwoofer, and Athena WS-15B Rear Channel. Right now it sounds MUCH better than my old system. I also have an HDMI switcher attached to my TV for my PVR, HDDVD player and 360.

My first question is whether or not I have a proper setup here. Or should I see if I can find some WS-15's for the front channels as well. I am running 16 Gauge wire to all of them.

My second question has to do with wiring everything. I have such a spider web of wires in behind my TV and reciever that I am wondering if I use nylon ties to hold them together so its not such a mess. Is this going to be an issue for the signal quality for both the audio and video?

One other question. Does it matter with the quality of the cable? I see that monster makes a XP cable with a "plastic" sleeve down the center that apparently allows the Bass/Treble to travel at the same rate? Also does it matter which direction a cable is plugged in? My Sub cable has an arrow and I figure that meant signal direction, so i plugged it into my receiver's audio out. Not sure if that will cause an issue?

Sorry for the long post but you guys are the pro's and helped me realize my errors!! Thanks again!!

I hope i posted this in the right spot. I did read other posts but they weren't what i was wondering.

Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-22-2008, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalvarez699 View Post

I have finally seen the light and upgraded my sound system (I had a Bose). What i have now is a Panasonic SA-XR50 receiver with a Athena LC100 Center Channel, Quest QB6NX front speakers, Quest subwoofer, and Athena WS-15B Rear Channel. Right now it sounds MUCH better than my old system. I also have an HDMI switcher attached to my TV for my PVR, HDDVD player and 360.

My first question is whether or not I have a proper setup here. Or should I see if I can find some WS-15's for the front channels as well.

Congrats on your new system. I am not familiar with those speakers, but I am confident they're better than what you had before . Enjoy them.

Quote:

My second question has to do with wiring everything. I have such a spider web of wires in behind my TV and reciever that I am wondering if I use nylon ties to hold them together so its not such a mess. Is this going to be an issue for the signal quality for both the audio and video?

Tying wires into bundles is OK as long as you keep the AC power lines away from the bundle. Sometimes the AC 60 Hz signal can be picked up as interference by analog audio interconnects. They are shielded to avoid that, but just to be safe, keep them more than 6" away from each other. If they have to cross paths, keep them at right angles as they cross. Digital interconnects and speaker wires are less likely to suffer from this problem.

Quote:

One other question. Does it matter with the quality of the cable? I see that monster makes a XP cable with a "plastic" sleeve down the center that apparently allows the Bass/Treble to travel at the same rate? Also does it matter which direction a cable is plugged in? My Sub cable has an arrow and I figure that meant signal direction, so i plugged it into my receiver's audio out. Not sure if that will cause an issue?

Pay no attention to claims from overpriced cable makers. They will cost you a lot of money, and they are highly unlikely to make any difference that you can hear.

Despite the arrows printed on the cables, they do not have a direction. Some audio interconnects, such as your sub cables are grounded on one end only. Plug in the grounded end to your receiver. But unless you still have the info that came packed with that cable you may not know which end that is. Try it both ways. If there isn't any difference, them forget about it.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-22-2008, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Check out Monoprice for any cabling/wiring needs, great deals there.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-22-2008, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys...

Yeah, the sound is great now. I was noticing some stuff in Geometry wars and Halo 3 that i have never heard before....Man, I was naive to think that Bose was better....

Any recommendations on a good movie to test the surround sound?

Justin
post #5 of 6 Old 08-22-2008, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Thanks guys...

Any recommendations on a good movie to test the surround sound?

Justin

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=755493

take your pic, lots of BASS and surround movies

super dirty , super clean , pow
post #6 of 6 Old 08-22-2008, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Perfect! Thanks!! I can't wait!!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List