Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1254 Old 01-31-2009, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Alcasid View Post

LOL it looks like it comes with a crushed tweeter too!

WTF - LOL that is amazing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1254 Old 01-31-2009, 08:19 AM

Liked: 12
Sorry I was not asking if it was OK to angle it, but if it had some sort of adjustable feet. Looks like it may, cool.
post #183 of 1254 Old 01-31-2009, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBas View Post

@Raptorsys: Congrats, I should have my v5's (60's, cc-690) next Friday, they will be in earlier but I won't have time during the week to go pick them up.

We did go with the Rosenut since our PB13 Ultra is Rosenut as well, what was so bad about it? We love the way our sub looks.

I have spent 2 days re-working my TV stand to accommodate that beast of a center, I think I finally got a configuration that's both functional and clean looking.

BTW, does anyone know if you can angle the cc-690 up a tad? Cause of it's size and the layout of our TV stand, it will have to go on the bottom shelf, so it will need to be angled up slightly.

Finally, I thought a deal on the v5's would be nearly impossible, a couple of dealers said they are not going to discount them, one offered a meager 8% but thanks to a forum member, I got an outstanding deal on my purchase. If your in the central Florida\\Tampa area and want Paradigm's send me a PM and I can recommend a great dealer who will hook you up with minimal effort.

In any case, can't wait to hear these things

Yeah I am very excited to get this system and waiting, even a week, is going to be tough.

I don't think there is anything wrong or bad with with the Rosenut finish only that it didn't work for me.

Interestingly, my dealer called me this morning to tell me that the new Sub-15 is also available in Cherry and wanted to know if I wanted Cherry or Black. I was a bit surprised by this question as it was obvious from the pictures that the subs were available in Cherry and Rosenut in addition to Black. The "sales engineer" was not fully aware of the new version Reference line but they are still pretty new...

It looks like I'll be spending the next week or so looking at improvements in the room and component rack. I'd like to design and build a new wall unit with a component rack on one side and CD/DVD/Blu-ray storage on the other side and below.

Brian
post #184 of 1254 Old 01-31-2009, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 46
What are the rounded parts (i.e. the vast majority of the surface area/cabinet) made of? Certainly not wood, as P specifically mentions only the flat pieces are wood, and it would be way too much labor. Fibreglas? Plastic? I don't really care that much what they're coated with internally if the base material is lame.
post #185 of 1254 Old 01-31-2009, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfraser View Post

What are the rounded parts (i.e. the vast majority of the surface area/cabinet) made of? Certainly not wood, as P specifically mentions only the flat pieces are wood, and it would be way too much labor. Fibreglas? Plastic? I don't really care that much what they're coated with internally if the base material is lame.

Most likely MDF w/wood veneer.
post #186 of 1254 Old 01-31-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:

They're wood I'd bet, just not MDF. The press release notes that the top, bottom, and baffle are MDF. Since the curved back/sides aren't mentioned, I'd assume they aren't MDF; probably something lower quality with the wood veneer laid over it. I was wondering about this a while back as well, a definitive answer would be great.
post #187 of 1254 Old 01-31-2009, 10:14 PM

Hey guys,

I've looked around, but I haven't seen anyone post this question, so I thought I'd ask it here...I am getting ready to purchase my first setup and since you all have much more experience with this gear I thought you might be able to give me your opinion on my options, and let me know if you think I'm making a bad pairing.

Per my dealer, I have the option of a pair of floor model Studio 100s v4 or a pair of new Studio 60s v5 at the same (discounted) price.

For the updated styling and "Signature-Series-like" sound that the v5s are rumored to produce, I am tempted to go with the v5 60s. But in the long run, I think I may be better off with the v4 100s.

I am looking to pair them with the new (yet to be purchased) Marantz SR6003 (100 watts). I'd wait for the SR7003 for a little more wattage and upgraded transformer, etc, but I am told there won't be one. (but that remains to be seen.)

There won't be a CC or sub in this setup for another few months. I just don't have enough experience with the 60s or 100s to know which is the better choice, and then once that choice is made... I'm wondering if the SR6003 is a "bad" choice. I could pick up an SR8002 but I'd really like the TrueHD and DTS-MA support offered by the SR6003.

I'd appreciate any pointers you may have. Thanks in advance... Don

Oh, and this is the only Studio v5 thread I found...if my post is off topic, please let me know where you think I should post. Thanks!
post #188 of 1254 Old 02-01-2009, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburny View Post

I'd appreciate any pointers you may have. Thanks in advance... Don

The size of your room will make a big difference for the recommendation. In a large room - I would think the v4 100's would be more desireable. In a smaller room, go with the 60 v5. More information on your desired use (music, movies, etc.) may also lead a little more useful advice.

_Scott
post #189 of 1254 Old 02-01-2009, 08:39 AM

Similar to Don's question above^

Can anyone comment on the differences in sound for the 100 v5 versus the 60 v5?
They have nearly identical frequency response.
The LFE* (DIN*) are different at 29 vs 25. Not being an expert, I assume the LFE/DIN is in room specific. Actually I'm surprised the FR does not dip into the 30's for both of them.
Is Paradigm conservative with their published specs?

Of course FR is not the only consideration.

Is there a sound improvement for the $1000 price difference?

I want to upgrade from Energy bookshelf speakers in a 19x25 room that opens into the kitchen. I have an SVS sub, so the crossover will be set to the normal 60-80. Is bigger necessarily better?

I'm leaning toward the cc-590 as the center. the 690 is just too massive for my setup.

I can't wait to audition them both. I hope they sound as good as they look.
post #190 of 1254 Old 02-01-2009, 08:58 AM

That's a big price difference, didn't realize it was that big of a difference. I remember I was looking at those two a couple days ago, and noticed the same thing about the FR being very similar. If it were me, I'd go for the 60's since you have a sub. (Keep in mind that I'm biased here, personally I don't even care for tower speakers that much.) But with that big of a room, maybe you'd be better off with the 100's, since they should have greater dynamic cpability...but then I'd be worried about the 590 getting overpowered (not sure if this concern is valid or not). Maybe you should find a dealer that has both of them.
post #191 of 1254 Old 02-01-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjv998 View Post

If it were me, I'd go for the 60's since you have a sub.

That was my thinking also, that's why I went with the 60's and splurged on the cc-690. My system is 80-90% HT so it's all about the center channel for us.

On a side note, with the 100's on back order, I am surprised no one has posted any initial impressions yet.
post #192 of 1254 Old 02-01-2009, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JETeague View Post

The Dealers haven't even gotten them in the show rooms yet, have a little patience. More and more info will be forth coming in the weeks to come. If that were my room, I wouldn't even think twice about it, I would get the 100's, but then again I like the ability to go extremely loud at times, but want it to stay clean and clear all the way up to the top. 100's will give you that over the smaller drivers of the 60's

As soon as my dealer gets a pair of both I will be doing some subjective listening for sure... Although I have my sites set S8's, I still love my Studio 100's .v4
post #193 of 1254 Old 02-01-2009, 09:24 AM

I wonder if the weight specs on the new Studio 20 v5 is incorrect? The specs on Paradigms site for the 20 V4 states 43lbs per pair but the new ones are showing 70lbs and the new Studio 10's at 43lbs per pair. How could the new 20's be almost double the weight of the old 20's with almost the same dimensions? Maybe the 20v4 specs are wrong? I am also wondering how the Studio V5's can have a more "signature like sound" with only changing the rubber surrounds on the drivers and enclosure shape?The tweeter is the same isn't it?
post #194 of 1254 Old 02-01-2009, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommmyJ View Post

I wonder if the weight specs on the new Studio 20 v5 is incorrect? The specs on Paradigms site for the 20 V4 states 43lbs per pair but the new ones are showing 70lbs and the new Studio 10's at 43lbs per pair. How could the new 20's be almost double the weight of the old 20's with almost the same dimensions? Maybe the 20v4 specs are wrong? Just wondering how the Studio V5's can be more "signature like sound" with only changing the rubber surrounds on the drivers and enclosure shape?The tweeter is the same isn't it?

I agree.... IMO you will not be getting Signature like sound.... I auditioned the .v2 S8's and S6's and they blow the Studio line away with a more ribbon like sonic signature to the Be tweeter and tighter and cleaner mids, plus they will handle much more power and stay cleaner at higher levels...

I loved the new Sigs but one obviously has to weigh whether almost double the money is worth it to them..... it is to me....
post #195 of 1254 Old 02-01-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassbone57 View Post

If you remember they did away with that design with the Monitor 5, so I'm sure they are applying that same logic to the Studio series now.

-K

Major Bump for this replay...they have done away with the 2.5 design because bass response and slam where the same in a 2 way design. I'm personally glad they are bringing a true bookshelf speaker to the Studio line as I really think a group of small bookshelfs a big center and sub make a great movie theater design.
post #196 of 1254 Old 02-01-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETeague View Post

They have nearly identical frequency response.
The LFE* (DIN*) are different at 29 vs 25. .

I have a pair of studio 100 v3, basically the same as a v4 (add new tweeter/midrange same base response and slam). It is rated to hit 28hz din and it creates a lot of slam you do feel the base. I think you could go with both without a sub, the 100's of course are going to be better in a larger room paired with a larger amp. In the past the 60's have always been regarded as the best bang for you buck!

If your a music man get the 100's if your 50%/50% go with 60's. If your total HT then go with 4 of the 40's or 20's a 690 and a servo.
post #197 of 1254 Old 02-01-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedankone View Post

s. If your total HT then go with 4 of the 40's or 20's a 690 and a servo.

Factor in the cost of the stands and you might as well go with the 60's up front. Also,their ADP-590 looks bad ass but that will be on hold for a long time
post #198 of 1254 Old 02-01-2009, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

I have always thought the 40s on good stands sounded better than the 60s. And the 20s on good stands sounded better than the 40s on crappy stands. Remember the 80s ?...now they were half-assed. It is true that to get 40s to outperform the 60s you needed good (read somewhat expensive) stands, so I can sort of see why they eliminated that model (stands+40 cost more than 60). Also, the 40s on not-so-good stands are kind of precarious...I eventuallly wall-mounted mine and they make great surrounds (20s for backs now). So overall, though I am not so keen on this new shape for the CCs, I can see the logic and practicality behind P's model changes.
post #199 of 1254 Old 02-01-2009, 12:09 PM

Thanks for the quick replies...

To answer some of the questions, the room I am in now is smaller, but I am moving soon, into a larger home, so I am trying to plan for a larger room.

As far as use goes, I am definitely a music guy, but I will also be using this setup as the first pieces in my home theater, so I'd have to say it'll be used 50/50 for both stereo and HT. I will eventually be pairing this with a Seismic 12, or whatever the equivalent is at the end of 2009.

Does anyone have opinions on the SR6003? My dealer tells me that it'll push both the 60 v5s and the 100 v4s, but won't push the 100s to their potential.

I'm looking at the SR6003 over the SR7002 because of the updated audio format support (although its lacking in THX) and I'm hoping it doesn't have the firmware issues that I have read so much about with the 7002/8002.

Thanks, Don
post #200 of 1254 Old 02-01-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:

I have always thought the 40s on good stands sounded better than the 60s. And the 20s on good stands sounded better than the 40s on crappy stands. Remember the 80s ?...now they were half-assed. It is true that to get 40s to outperform the 60s you needed good (read somewhat expensive) stands, so I can sort of see why they eliminated that model (stands+40 cost more than 60). Also, the 40s on not-so-good stands are kind of precarious...I eventuallly wall-mounted mine and they make great surrounds (20s for backs now). So overall, though I am not so keen on this new shape for the CCs, I can see the logic and practicality behind P's model changes.

Glad you posted this. I was having second thoughts about shelling out that much for Paradigm's J-29 stands for my soon-to-be Studio 20 v5's. The stands do look amazing though, and it sounds like it may be worth it after all.

To Don: I actually just went with the Marantz SR5003. There's a $200 price difference between it and the 6003, and the only things the 6003 adds are 10 more watts per channel, a USB input for music, and an extra HDMI output. To me, those features just aren't worth $200. One thing you might want to consider doing: bi-amp the front speakers. If you're only running a 5.1 setup, you'll have the 2 available channels if you get a 7.1 amp/receiver; might as well use them. This is what I plan on doing with the Studio 20's when I get them. Bi-amping the Studio 100's off of the SR5003 should give them plenty of power, since it's 90WPC RMS.

I absolutely love the SR5003. It sounds great (I mostly listen to music too), and MultEQ is awesome. I feel this is the sweet spot in Marantz's lineup. The model below it (SR4003) doesn't have MultEQ, has 10wpc less, and IIRC it's missing some inputs/outputs, plus it doesn't decode TrueHD or DTS HD-MA or HR, or upconvert to HDMI. And the model above it doesn't add enough features IMO to be worth the price difference, like I mentioned before.
post #201 of 1254 Old 02-01-2009, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I drove my Studio 20V3s with the SR6003 and was very satisfied. The overall sound was excellent. My only gripe is that the SR6003 was clearly running out of steam at around 94dB or so of output. The sound out of the 20's was definitely starting to get a little harsh as the amplifier starting getting into its distortion range. This was only with 2channels going. With 5 or 7, you will have even less power on tap.

So the question is, how loud do you play your music/movies? If you never break 90dB(which is pretty lound), then the SR6003 should be fine with Studio 100's. If you like to crank your music up to 100+dB, then you need more power. Frankly, even moving to the SR7002 or SR8002 wouldn't be enough juice to reach those types of SPLs. The extra 25 watts of power would barely yield you an extra .25dB of output. You would need more than 200 watts to drive a sub 90dB efficient speaker to those levels.

Sonically, the pairing of the SR6003 with the new 100's will most likely be a very good match.
post #202 of 1254 Old 02-01-2009, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Glad you posted this. I was having second thoughts about shelling out that much for Paradigm's J-29 stands for my soon-to-be Studio 20 v5's. The stands do look amazing though, and it sounds like it may be worth it after all.

The stands are worth the money.... they are built very very well, and they look fantastic IMO. Just put them on bar stools for a little while, and when you find the J-29 stands come up on audiogon, (search "Paradigm") snatch them up.. thats where I got my stands for my Paradigm Sig S4's....

There are none on there right now, but I see them there all the time.
Also videogon, and ebay have them from time to time...
post #203 of 1254 Old 02-01-2009, 01:52 PM

I am thinking of upgrading my monitor 9 v5 system to the new studio 60 v5 system. This will be going in a room 13ft by 17ft driven by a denon 4308ci and used for mainly blue ray movies and the odd blue ray concert. I can get them for a good price but an audition is not part of the deal so does any body think I will hear a considerable difference with the upgrade.
Thanks,
Tony.
post #204 of 1254 Old 02-01-2009, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My point was to not overlook the stands; they become part of the speaker and must be considered more than just something to hold the speakers off the floor. Stands can be "tuned" too, along with speaker placement.

I would have to presume many stands come to Agon because people do what I did: you upgrade the fronts, then the old fronts become the surrounds, the old surrounds become the backs. And to get back/surround mounting heights of well over your seated head, stands are not so practical, so out they go, always in demand.
post #205 of 1254 Old 02-01-2009, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsac65 View Post

I am thinking of upgrading my monitor 9 v5 system to the new studio 60 v5 system. This will be going in a room 13ft by 17ft driven by a denon 4308ci and used for mainly blue ray movies and the odd blue ray concert. I can get them for a good price but an audition is not part of the deal so does any body think I will hear a considerable difference with the upgrade.
Thanks,
Tony.

Paradigm works very hard at producing an amazing sounding speaker.... I will state even without hearing them myself that the Studio line is a vast improvement over the monitor series.... You will have absolutely no regrets... and it would seem to me that the new 60 would be a perfect match for you with that size room.... my S4 Sigs are in a room that exact size and they are incredible.... louder then any of my friends can tolerate, but still clean as a whistle.

Quote:

My point was to not overlook the stands; they become part of the speaker and must be considered more than just something to hold the speakers off the floor. Stands can be "tuned" too, along with speaker placement.

I would have to presume many stands come to Agon because people do what I did: you upgrade the fronts, then the old fronts become the surrounds, the old surrounds become the backs. And to get back/surround mounting heights of well over your seated head, stands are not so practical, so out they go, always in demand.

The stands I got off Agon were new in a box, there are alot of dealers that move product there to add to their sales, and the pricing is better then in the store. Thats the only reason I suggested Agon or Vgon...
post #206 of 1254 Old 02-01-2009, 02:55 PM

[quote=Warpdrv;15711187]Paradigm works very hard at producing an amazing sounding speaker.... I will state even without hearing them myself that the Studio line is a vast improvement over the monitor series.... You will have absolutely no regrets... and it would seem to me that the new 60 would be a perfect match for you with that size room.... my S4 Sigs are in a room that exact size and they are incredible.... louder then any of my friends can tolerate, but still clean as a whistle.

Thanks Warp I appreciate your imput; I think once uncle sam gives me some money back I see new speakers on the horizon. What your thoughts on the center the c690 over it's smaller brother.
Thanks again,
Tony.
post #207 of 1254 Old 02-01-2009, 05:45 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.

Influence, Although I'm afraid I can't give you a specific dB level, I don't like my music painfully loud. Thanks for the perspective on the extra wattage as well. With movies, I definitely like to feel the movie as much as I hear it, but the Seismic will help with that, so I'm not relying on the Studios for their low end.

CJV - Thanks for sharing your experience with the 5003. Do the x003 series have user serviceable firmware? Not that there are any issues that I know of at this point, I'm just curious, because the 7002/8002 did not.

At this point, I think I am settled on the 100 v4s over the 60 v5s for their range and the options they provide. The 100s are floor model units. Although, one speaker cover has a tear in it and some of the pegs have broken off, so the covers would need to be replaced. (Do you guys leave the covers on or off?)

Given their condition, any advice as to what might be a reasonable offer or range on that set? 25 off list? 35? I've seen quite a range over the past year in the forums, so while I do want to pay a fair price, I also don't want to be rude.

Thanks again, Don
post #208 of 1254 Old 02-01-2009, 07:44 PM

I had a sr5001 before I purchase my Onkyo 875, it wasn't bad i had it pair with my B&W 601 s3 and it was good. It won't have the power your looking for, the studio 60s/100s are on the boarder of needing a dedicated amp.

If must have Marantz buy a 8002 from accessories4less.com can't go wrong with those prices and service.

Buy the speakers in the store and the receiver online you'll get a better deal on most brands.
post #209 of 1254 Old 02-01-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburny View Post

CJV - Thanks for sharing your experience with the 5003. Do the x003 series have user serviceable firmware? Not that there are any issues that I know of at this point, I'm just curious, because the 7002/8002 did not.

At this point, I think I am settled on the 100 v4s over the 60 v5s for their range and the options they provide. The 100s are floor model units. Although, one speaker cover has a tear in it and some of the pegs have broken off, so the covers would need to be replaced. (Do you guys leave the covers on or off?)

The 4003 is not upgradeable, and the 5003 and 6003 are upgradeable via an RS-232C cable. Hate to press my point again, but I think you'd be fine bi-amping the 100's off the 5003, especially seeing how you have a sub for the low end already, and given the in-room sensitivity of 91dB on the 100's. That'd be 180W RMS, I'd assume (as long as there aren't any odd factors coming into play with bi-amping that I don't know about). They're rated up to 210W max. input power, with power handling up to 350W. It'd be nice if the dealer could hook them up to a similarly-powered setup, so you could see if it makes a difference.

One thing I just learned on the 100 v4's: Paradigm's site says they're an 8 ohm speaker, but some people on here say they're a 4 ohm speaker, and they have an area in the upper midbass where they drop down to 2.5-ish. So whatever you go with, make sure the receiver can handle that low of an impedance, or do some more research to verify this. Sounds like they do like lots of clean power, but then again, what speaker doesn't? Seems like 200wpc is plenty for them, some people seem to be using less than 150wpc and seem happy with it.

Paradigm usually recommends leaving the covers on. Most people (myself included, on the Monitor series at least) say the speakers are too harsh with them off. If the fabric is torn, I'm sure you can either re-cover them yourself, or pay someone a bit to do it.

The pegs on the grill being broken off shouldn't be too big of a deal as long as the grill is still snug. You will want to make sure it doesn't rattle when you turn the speakers up, if you haven't checked already. Maybe they can order a replacement grill for you? I'd say if they can do that, then you should offer to pay 20-25-ish percent off of MSRP, since they're floor models. Totally made that figure up, it's just what I'd personally consider to be reasonable, assuming the speakers are in fine condition otherwise.
post #210 of 1254 Old 02-02-2009, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommmyJ View Post

I am also wondering how the Studio V5's can have a more "signature like sound" with only changing the rubber surrounds on the drivers and enclosure shape?The tweeter is the same isn't it?

Don't underestimate the power of suggestion, especially the so-called "early word on the street". If one or two people post on a popular blog or forum, it takes on a life of its own. It's why Paradigm updates so often.

My take (and this is not based on anything - just my gut):, this round appears to be more surface. It's indicitive of a lot of electronics in this tough economy: make cosmtic improvements that don't require as much R&D. Then you have a new line to sell with mostly the same components. Add in some early hype, and you have a winner.

I'm not an expert, but I've owned a lot of different Paragigms over the years. I've always been partial to the smaller towers for Left/Right (having owned Monitor 7, Studio 60 v2 and v4). I'm pretty skeptical about the 60 v5 though. Smaller drivers, smaller enclosure, and the tweeter won't be at ear level (something that annoyed me about the 60 v2). Most of the components themselves are the same. As for the looks - well, there have been plenty of choices for the pretty red wood (ie. Rockets). I know I'm in the minority, but I prefer boxy black speakers. My couch, TV, sub, and most other components are black so it just fits better.

Given the economic situation, I understand the direction for this series, but I hope Paradigm does not change their overall priorities.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page