Placing 7.1 speakers in open space - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-28-2008, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

Need some help placing some side speakers in a 7.1 system. I have a pretty open space to the right side of my main seating area (see attached floor plan) and I'm trying to figure out the best way to set up two floorstanding speakers (Klipsch RF-35s) on the sides to complete the system. Options are:

1) As is in the plan - Probably perfect acoustically but not really workable due to the negative WAF of having a floorstanding speaker in the middle of the room...

2) Moving the speakers up about 2-3 ft in front of the seating area and angling them back towards the sofa. The right speaker would probably need to be moved flush against the kitchen wall (behind the easy chair in the plan) - kind of the preferred plan right now assuming I can still maintain a soundstage with the side speakers in front of me. Only reason I think it might work is because I have the monopole RFs that I can actually point. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here.

3) Moving the right side speaker back against the kitchen island and having it be about 3 ft behind the left speaker (and about 4 ft further away from center) - seems like a bad idea to have the side speakers off the same axis though.

That's all I can think of now. Would appreciate any ideas including switching to 5.1 (not sure how that would help but maybe) or using dipole/dispersion speakers for the sides instead of the monopoles.

I've thought about rotating the whole seating area to the north (90 degrees to the left of where it is now) but while that helps my side speakers issue, it doesn't do much for the rears and I don't think the room works that way with the rest of the furniture. If someone has a better furniture arrangement, I'd love to hear it though.

Thanks!
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-28-2008, 08:14 PM

Depending on what you are using for rear, ceiling mount might work decently with the room turned 90˚. Would kill the flow of the room though.

While far from optimal...could push the sides up against the sides of the couch.

EDIT: Nevermind
post #3 of 9 Old 08-28-2008, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah...forgot to mention, ceilings are 13' high and beamed. Possibly the worst setup ever for ceiling speakers.

Speaking of the ceiling height, stay tuned for another help wanted e-mail about which speaker sizes would be appropriate for a 6,000-6,500 cu ft space...
post #4 of 9 Old 08-29-2008, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Forget about going 7.1. Your room arrangement makes it problematic at best.

Remember.... a properly laid out and calibrated 5.1 system will sound FAR superior to a poorly done 7.1 system. In that room and configuration, you will get your best sound from 5.1. And, save some $$$ on speakers which you could then apply towards room treatments making your 5.1 system sound even BETTER!

Good luck.

John W.
Indy
post #5 of 9 Old 08-29-2008, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Won't I have the same problem with 5.1? I thought the rear two speakers were the least of my worries.

Where would you suggest the surrounds go in a 5.1 setup?
post #6 of 9 Old 08-29-2008, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Just out of curiosity, what is the configuration of your beams; do they run parallel or perpendicular to your TV? would it be possible to maybe mount some surrounds (not floorstanders) on the beams and aim them at your seating position?
post #7 of 9 Old 08-29-2008, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
if your want to do a 5.1 setup which would probably be best for the way your room is laid out, you would just need to move apart the rear surrounds and angle them in towards the listening area some more and just forget about the side surrounds all together.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-29-2008, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obiwanfong View Post

Won't I have the same problem with 5.1? I thought the rear two speakers were the least of my worries.

Where would you suggest the surrounds go in a 5.1 setup?

5.1 = R/L mains, center, rear surrounds and a sub.

7.1 = R/L mains, center, side surrounds, rear surrounds and a sub.

Reconfigure the rear surrounds just a bit like bluewaves suggests above, calibrate carefully using an SPL meter and your system will sound great. You won't miss the side surrounds of a 7.1 rig at all IMHO.

Invest the money you save not buying the side speakers on some room teatments to improve your experience even more.

John W.
Indy
post #9 of 9 Old 08-29-2008, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Good stuff. Yeah, I'm coming from a 6.1 system so it's been a little hard for me not to think of 5.1 as a "downgrade" (even though I know it technically isn't). Kind of excited to put together an "all-floorstanders" 5.1 system actually. It seems so obvious now that I almost feel silly not thinking of it myself...

Now it sounds like I need to go learn something about room treatments!

Thanks, all!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page