What to match with Paradigm Mini-monitors - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-29-2008, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all,

I have an older set of Paradigm mini-monitors (and matching center) that I want to use in a home theater/gaming room I'm putting together. I'm trying to figure out what I should use for the sides (and eventually rears) to match these.

I've considered the Paradigm ADPs but I doubt the present ADPs would match older monitors and I'm not sure that dipoles would be a good match for gaming. I need to wall mount (or in-wall) the speakers so having a low profile would be a definite bonus.

Anyone have thoughts on what my match the mini-monitors or would I just be better off selling them and going with a matched set?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2008, 09:37 AM

Matching the mains and centers is important, and you have done that. Matching the surrounds to the front stage is far less important. Anything with an even vaguely similar sound should work perfectly.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldTheBarrel View Post

Matching the mains and centers is important, and you have done that. Matching the surrounds to the front stage is far less important. Anything with an even vaguely similar sound should work perfectly.

+1

New Paradigms in the monitor line would be fine.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaka999 View Post

I have an older set of Paradigm mini-monitors (and matching center) that I want to use in a home theater/gaming room I'm putting together. I'm trying to figure out what I should use for the sides (and eventually rears) to match these.

I have a v4 Paradigm Studio front stage with v3 ADPs on the sides and MiniMonitors in the back. As mentioned, timbre matching is not critical for surrounds; Dipoles are great at the sides and work fine for gaming (at least in my opinion). Keep your front three and find a used pair of ADPs for the sides; if you go 7.1 get direct radiators in back (used Atoms would work great for you).

W. Lee Hendrick
Old 02-12-2013, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know this is digging up an ancient thread, but I'm thinking about expanding my system. I currently have Mini Monitor V.3's for fronts, a CC-370 V.3 center, and Atoms for rears. We moved into a new construction home with a dedicated media room, and I'm pondering the idea of finding a set of Monitor 7's or Monitor 11's to put up front, adding some ADP's for sides and moving the Minis to the rear. There's a current ebay auction local to me that has a pair of Monitor 7 V.2's for local pick-up for $250. Wondering if I should seriously consider them or hold out for a set of V.3's in the future.

Per this REALLY old thread: Paradigm Timbre Matching, it looks like Paradigm says that V.2 and V.3 are timbre matched, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Any advice?

Samsung UN75H6350
Denon AVR-1913
Paradigm Mini Monitors, CC-370 & Atoms (all v.3)
SVS PB12-Plus/2
Win7 HTPC, PS3, FiOS Cable
Old 02-12-2013, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 588
This post confirms my vague recollection that there were more than just cosmetic changes from v2 to v3. (v3 and v4 were essentially the same.) I'd hold out for a pair of v3 towers.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:23 PM

I've heard from a local dealer that all Paradigm's should be timbre matched for the most part if they're in similar price range. Look especially at tweeter materials, if they match you should be good...

Also if you're buying used speakers make sure you test them before you buy them!!!
Old 02-12-2013, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 588
Generally-speaking, you ideally want to match your front three speakers - either three of the same make and model, or L+R and a matching CC from the same series. (Version matching is sometimes also important.) Matching your surrounds isn't as important, but if the matching surrounds are well-rated and within your price range, there's no reason not to get them.

That said, I used to own a pair of Monitor 7v4s and a CC-370v3, and I found that the 370 sounded just a touch "thin" compared to the M7v4s. (My understanding is that the CC-350 and the CC-370v1/2 were better matches than the CC-370v3/4 to the M7v3/4s.) I experimented with a couple of different CC speakers and was surprised to find that the Studio/CC v2 paired up really nicely with the M7v4s.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the replies, folks. Much appreciated.

Samsung UN75H6350
Denon AVR-1913
Paradigm Mini Monitors, CC-370 & Atoms (all v.3)
SVS PB12-Plus/2
Win7 HTPC, PS3, FiOS Cable