Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-31-2008, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
5.1 for $250 is hard to work with.

I had the same thing as you. I went through Klipsch Promedia 5.1 Ultra setup, several Creative and Logitech setups, and I was never satisfied with any result.

I finally broke down and purchased a used Pioneer VSX receiver from Ebay for $150 and a pair of Insignia coaxial 6.5" driver speakers from Best buy for $50 when they where cheap and I have been happy ever sense. The dynamics are off the charts compared to any "computer" package, and I enjoy them greatly. Problem is, as good as they are compared to computer speakers, they are bottom of the barrel value and entry level. I just cant accept that.

But then, I always wanted more. So I started doing a LOT of reading here and I learned loads. My interest became a complete obsession (more or less) and I constantly dream of owning so of the most sought after speakers, but I never have the budget for it. So be warned, when you open this can of worms, it wont stop!

Currently I have a set of Ascend CMT 340's L,C,R on the way, Along with a set of Rockets book shelf speakers from Ebay, Both set used and had at a great value. That's triple your budget on just the CMT's. I'm also looking at Rythmik for a sub woofer option, and I have a feeling that will be close to the $500 mark.

And I started with $200 mind you...

So if your looking for the quality, and your budget is limited, start small, with a 2.0 setup, or a 2.1 setup if you need. Its much more worth it in the long run!

Edit:

I just really read your post. The upper response was pretty generic. You already have a receiver, the Swans are a good choice, but they are already powered. If it was me, I would take the $200 to eBay, and look at some infinity stuff, or If you want to follow my advice above, $200 can get you a real nice set of 2 bookshelf speakers that will be light years away from anything from the computer market.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-31-2008, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougcure View Post

Thanks for the reply man!

I hooked up my gigaworks speakers to my receiver last night as I really wanted to hear some music and it sounded better than with the gigaworks sub/amp combo.

I still want to invest in a nice sub and front left, right, and center channel speakers. I am hoping I can get a decent set of those around $250. I don't need high end, but something between there and what I have. I'll definitely check out those infinity's you spoke of.

I'm hoping the old gigaworks speakers will suffice for surrounds until I have money to invest in those.

Thanks again and if anyone else has a take on it for me i'm very willing to listen.

Doug

There are several entry level brands out there that will do what your looking for. Athena is another one I can pull out of my head. Do a search here and you can pull a lot of brand names.

Happy hunting.

Try not to rush into a purchase, I browsed eBay and Audiogon for weeks before I put down my cash. I feel satisfied.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page