I have had the Triple 12LFs serving as LRC for a few weeks now so I figured I would give my listening impressions based off notes i have taken along the way:
* stop and start on dime
* no signs of strain regardless of volume
* cones barely move no matter what the material
* definitely more full than the Triple 8s with more resolution
* no lack in the upper midrange compared to the Triple 8s either
* listening with crossover at 50hz doesn't sound thin although the sub filling in the lower octaves is welcome
* BIG soundstage had to check that center channel wasn't on during stereo material
* sound is linear with increase volume although they come alive at higher SPL
* detailed but seemingly forgiving as I enjoy a wide variety of material from R&B, hip hop, jazz, alternative and of course movies
* dialogue is full and easy to discern
* has made me more critical of my subs (several DIY sealed Avalanche 18s coming soon)
I swapped out an Adcom GFA 5503 with a FACE Audio F700 as well as a QSC PLX3402. My observation with both was a quiter soundstage and zero harshness at spirited listening levels. The Triple 12LFs are any easy load to drive but the increase in power helps with the ease of sound. The speakers are true to the source in the sense that they don't announce themselves. They just kind of float along, very reserved actually (on occasion I have turned the bass up +2 on the tone control for more oomph) until a serious drum hit or similar impact. The midbass capabilities are there but I feel there is more to be had especially based on others' reviews. I believe at this point that my room and or receiver are the weakest link, if not the lack of dedicated AC line for all the juice. The lights would dim just from turning on the Adcom 5503 which is rated at 350 watts/4 ohms. I am wanting to upgrade to a new pre/pro possibly from Emotiva or maybe Outlaw not sure yet. I would also like to address room acoustics in the near future.
For a point of reference some of my previous speakers (which I still have except for the Legacies) include the Legacy F.O.C.U.S, Raw Acoustics Apex, a one off line array from GR Research consisting of 42)3" woofers and 8) planars per side, and most recently JTR Triple 8s. Soon I hope to have a dedicated theater and a separate no compromise 2 channel rig.
My room is 24' long 14' feet wide with a ceiling that slants from 8.5' down to 7.5'. Current electronics: Panasonic BD30, Tohsiba HD35, Onkyo 705 receiver, QSC PLX3402 for L & R, Adcom 5503 for center and surrounds, bridged Crown K2 for Madison M1-218 with a VLSI auto EQ, BenQ W10000 projector with 110" screeen built from Wilson Art laminate and awaiting a 120" AT screen.
Anyone in the Phoenix area welcome for a demo
It's a work in progress but definitely a notch above anything else I've had for theater thus far. My mission is to get to the point where I'm enjoying the software instead of analyzing the playback medium.