Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 151 Old 11-30-2008, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi Guys...
I anybody is thinking of buying these and you've heard of the Microsoft Live Search 30% off program on E-Bay. If you have NOT heard of this, here is the deal...

Go to Search.live.com and put in a generic search item like speakers. When the search results come up, you'll see a link with a gold $$ come up which says Live Search Cashback. Click on that link and it will take you to E-Bay. Now, put in JTR into the search box and you should see the listings come up. Do a Buy It Now and you will see a Cashback message. You'll need to sign up for a Live cashback account and you must pay with Paypal. When you commit to buy, you'll see your cashback amount come up. You should recieve this back into your Paypal account in about 60 days. I've already bought a few things I wanted for my house and my car and this WORKS. No telling how long Microsoft will keep this up but take advantage while you can. Each cashback session lasts for an hour and I think you can only do one transaction per hour. Maximum of 12 per Paypal account but if your wife/friend/relative has an account, that is 12 transactions EACH!

Check the E-Bay Listings Now and look for JTR. I just posted the Triple 12LF's up there with the upgraded compression drivers at $1599 each. With the $200 off, that brings them down to $1399 each! I have them listed as singles so you can get the max savings but you'll have to buy them over multiple sessions to get the savings. This will bring your cost down to $1399 each (I put them up with the upgraded compression drivers and remember, there is a $200 per transaction max savings...but that is $600 off for a trio which is a killer deal on what is already a killer deal. Not sure how long this will last, but take advantage while you can! It is still up as of now.

I'll also have Triple 8's listed and Slanted 8 surrounds listed. Remember, the listings are for each, you'll need to do the purchases over a few sessions but to get that kind of discount, it is worth it! Give me some biz, give Jeff some Biz, get yourself a great deal! Take advantage while you can!

"Did you make 'em fine-ass-soundin' speakers over there what would sound gooder than hell comin' out of the back of my truck-boat-truck?"

-Early Cuyler. Poet Liquoreate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 151 Old 11-30-2008, 07:12 PM

Liked: 11
I give up, I searched for JTR, Triple 12LF, etc., and it keeps coming up zero. What's the secret?

Nevermind, found them!
post #93 of 151 Old 11-30-2008, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

You should just be able to search for JTR.
Remember though...you MUST go thru search.live.com to take advantage of the discount. You have to purchase a speaker during each session separately...in other words. Every time you make a purchase, complete it and then close your browser. Then re-open it, go to search.live.com and do it again.
If you make multiple purchases during one session, only the first one will be eligable for the cash back discount. If you buy a 7 channel system (3 Triple 12LF's, 4 Slanted 8's), you'll need to do it 7 times...but heck, I'd do it 7 times to save that much money!

Remember...there is no telling how long Microsoft will keep this program alive so take advantage of it while you can!

"Did you make 'em fine-ass-soundin' speakers over there what would sound gooder than hell comin' out of the back of my truck-boat-truck?"

post #94 of 151 Old 12-01-2008, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Anyone have either the 12's or the 8's in the MA area? I'd love to hear them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #95 of 151 Old 12-02-2008, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post

Ordered 3 of the Triple 12LF'S. Only downside is I won't get a chance to listen to them till August!!

--JK

I bit the bullit and have 3 triple 8s being glued, screwed and tattooed right now. I'm in the same boat though. My house is on the market so I dismantled my HT when I fixed her up. If I end up building, it could be a while.

-Kevin

Epson 5020UB 1080p 3LCD projector

Screen Innovations Black Diamond Zero Edge 1.4 110" 16:9

Marantz AV8801 pre/pro

Wyred4Sound 5-channel amp

Oppo BDP-105

Darbee Darblet

JTR 3TX LCRs

JTR Single8 HT-LP surrounds

twin JTR Orbit Shifter LF subwoofers

GIK Acoustic room treatments

post #96 of 151 Old 12-17-2008, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Just a reminder...all the JTR is going up at the first of the year. If you are on the fence...jump off and get your orders in. Current build time is 1-3 weeks and Superbowl is not THAT far off. Order before the 31st so Jeff can get the cabinet orders in before his cabinet costs go up. Call or PM me if you know what you want and remember...custom orders are still welcome. Hint...Single 12 Surrounds!

post #97 of 151 Old 01-05-2009, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I have had the Triple 12LFs serving as LRC for a few weeks now so I figured I would give my listening impressions based off notes i have taken along the way:

* stop and start on dime
* no signs of strain regardless of volume
* cones barely move no matter what the material
* definitely more full than the Triple 8s with more resolution
* no lack in the upper midrange compared to the Triple 8s either
* listening with crossover at 50hz doesn't sound thin although the sub filling in the lower octaves is welcome
* BIG soundstage had to check that center channel wasn't on during stereo material
* sound is linear with increase volume although they come alive at higher SPL
* detailed but seemingly forgiving as I enjoy a wide variety of material from R&B, hip hop, jazz, alternative and of course movies
* dialogue is full and easy to discern
* has made me more critical of my subs (several DIY sealed Avalanche 18s coming soon)

I swapped out an Adcom GFA 5503 with a FACE Audio F700 as well as a QSC PLX3402. My observation with both was a quiter soundstage and zero harshness at spirited listening levels. The Triple 12LFs are any easy load to drive but the increase in power helps with the ease of sound. The speakers are true to the source in the sense that they don't announce themselves. They just kind of float along, very reserved actually (on occasion I have turned the bass up +2 on the tone control for more oomph) until a serious drum hit or similar impact. The midbass capabilities are there but I feel there is more to be had especially based on others' reviews. I believe at this point that my room and or receiver are the weakest link, if not the lack of dedicated AC line for all the juice. The lights would dim just from turning on the Adcom 5503 which is rated at 350 watts/4 ohms. I am wanting to upgrade to a new pre/pro possibly from Emotiva or maybe Outlaw not sure yet. I would also like to address room acoustics in the near future.

For a point of reference some of my previous speakers (which I still have except for the Legacies) include the Legacy F.O.C.U.S, Raw Acoustics Apex, a one off line array from GR Research consisting of 42)3" woofers and 8) planars per side, and most recently JTR Triple 8s. Soon I hope to have a dedicated theater and a separate no compromise 2 channel rig.

My room is 24' long 14' feet wide with a ceiling that slants from 8.5' down to 7.5'. Current electronics: Panasonic BD30, Tohsiba HD35, Onkyo 705 receiver, QSC PLX3402 for L & R, Adcom 5503 for center and surrounds, bridged Crown K2 for Madison M1-218 with a VLSI auto EQ, BenQ W10000 projector with 110" screeen built from Wilson Art laminate and awaiting a 120" AT screen.

Anyone in the Phoenix area welcome for a demo It's a work in progress but definitely a notch above anything else I've had for theater thus far. My mission is to get to the point where I'm enjoying the software instead of analyzing the playback medium.
post #98 of 151 Old 01-06-2009, 05:15 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Good choice gpmbc, Giving them adequate power and room treatments are a necessity but the same can be said for any loudspeaker.

I finally got around to watching the Band of Brothers BR (disk 1) last night and I continue to be amazed at these speakers. The DTS Master HD sound track brings out the best in the T12LF's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #99 of 151 Old 01-06-2009, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey Rob are you still crossing over at 80hz? Also what is your pre/pro?
post #100 of 151 Old 01-06-2009, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I would like to find these spk also I keep emailing with no response,cant find them on live search either!!
post #101 of 151 Old 01-06-2009, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dholmes54 View Post

I would like to find these spk also I keep emailing with no response,cant find them on live search either!!

I doubt you will find them through a live search. Jeff runs a small operation, I have always had my needs taken care of just calling him. You can purchase through JTR directly but I know he also has some dealers, Kevin who can be found at thesoundbroker.com being one of the more notable.
post #102 of 151 Old 01-06-2009, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks I think there more $$ now!
post #103 of 151 Old 01-06-2009, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Don

I've only received one email from you and that was at 10:17 this morning.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dholmes54 View Post

LL
post #104 of 151 Old 01-06-2009, 04:04 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post

Hey Rob are you still crossing over at 80hz? Also what is your pre/pro?

Yes, the LCR are crossed at 80Hz. I am using an Integra 9.8 SSP with a Sunfire 400/7 amp.

post #105 of 151 Old 01-06-2009, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry,I see in my email that the email I sent was returned, could you pm me with a price for 3 triple 8s shipped to 42129.I tried the dealers thats on JtR site with no luck.I cant read that attachment that you posted,sometimes I forget how busy everybody gets!! thanks
post #106 of 151 Old 01-06-2009, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm psyched to get my Triple 12LF's too but have to wait till August to power them up. Emotiva XPA-5@ 200Wx5 will be driving the system, hope to have the new Emotiva pre/pro as well as the Oppo BR player by then as well. Someone is going to have to teach me about room treatments!!

--JK
post #107 of 151 Old 01-06-2009, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post

I'm psyched to get my Triple 12LF's too but have to wait till August to power them up. Emotiva XPA-5@ 200Wx5 will be driving the system, hope to have the new Emotiva pre/pro as well as the Oppo BR player by then as well. Someone is going to have to teach me about room treatments!!

--JK

I am interested in the same pre pro and the Oppo and in need of a room treatment tutorial as well
post #108 of 151 Old 01-07-2009, 09:20 AM
Señor Member

Quote:

I am interested in the same pre pro and the Oppo and in need of a room treatment tutorial as well

I found the guys at GIK very helpful and their website has lots of good info. I sent them pictures of the room and they made recommendations based upon that and some lengthy conversations we had. I'm happy with the results.

post #109 of 151 Old 01-07-2009, 12:52 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

* stop and start on dime
* no signs of strain regardless of volume
* cones barely move no matter what the material

* sound is linear with increase volume although they come alive at higher SPL
* detailed but seemingly forgiving as I enjoy a wide variety of material from R&B, hip hop, jazz, alternative and of course movies
* dialogue is full and easy to discern

Great review! I bought the Triple8s 2 weeks ago and will post a review in another week or two (coming from Aerial 7b & CC3). I would have gone with Triple12LF but dont have the space for the CC in my setup.

I am interested in your comment about upper midrange compared to Triple8s - is this noticeable in female vocals?

RMK - that last photo is awesome. I was sold on JTR after reading your reviews.

President Muffley: Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!!
post #110 of 151 Old 01-07-2009, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhack View Post

I am interested in your comment about upper midrange compared to Triple8s - is this noticeable in female vocals?

I believe the Triple 8's of GPMBC are 2007 models.
post #111 of 151 Old 01-07-2009, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Permanian View Post

Yes they are and what I meant is that prior to getting the Triple 12LFs I was a little apprehenisve thinking I might lose some detail in the upper midrange going from an 8" mid to a 12". I have had speakers before with 4" midranges handing off to several 6.5" midbass so to have 12" drivers covering the whole range (except where the tweet takes over) seemed a lofty task. I emailed quite a few owners who have had both to get their listening impressions and was put at ease. Now having owned them I don't find any voids attributed to the driver selection. Proper crossover design and using drivers within their bandwith can negate a lot of issues.
post #112 of 151 Old 01-07-2009, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

I can't wait till my house is done and I can finally listen to these speakers. Can't believe I bought speakers that I never listened to....sometimes I feel nuts for doing it but you can't deny the incredible reviews the Triple LF's are getting. Can't wait to post my reviews come August!!

--JK
post #113 of 151 Old 01-08-2009, 06:48 AM

Quote:

Jeff - what is the difference between these and the driver models in the latest T8?

Quote:

Yes they are and what I meant is that prior to getting the Triple 12LFs I was a little apprehenisve thinking I might lose some detail in the upper midrange going from an 8" mid to a 12". I have had speakers before with 4" midranges handing off to several 6.5" midbass so to have 12" drivers covering the whole range (except where the tweet takes over) seemed a lofty task. I emailed quite a few owners who have had both to get their listening impressions and was put at ease. Now having owned them I don't find any voids attributed to the driver selection. Proper crossover design and using drivers within their bandwith can negate a lot of issues.

I see a distinct improvement in midrange clarity on the T8 compared to my previous Aerial CC3 which has a 4" mid.

post #114 of 151 Old 01-08-2009, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have some 09 version Trip8's coming soon with the updated coax driver and x-over. I also got the 1 piece fabric grills and had Jeff install inserts so I can use my M&K ST-1 speaker stands with them. I've sold my M&K S-150s but remember quite well how they sound and am excited to hear the differences/improvements.

-Kevin

Epson 5020UB 1080p 3LCD projector

Screen Innovations Black Diamond Zero Edge 1.4 110" 16:9

Marantz AV8801 pre/pro

Wyred4Sound 5-channel amp

Oppo BDP-105

Darbee Darblet

JTR 3TX LCRs

JTR Single8 HT-LP surrounds

twin JTR Orbit Shifter LF subwoofers

GIK Acoustic room treatments

post #115 of 151 Old 01-08-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post

I have some 09 version Trip8's coming soon with the updated coax driver and x-over. I also got the 1 piece fabric grills and had Jeff install inserts so I can use my M&K ST-1 speaker stands with them. I've sold my M&K S-150s but remember quite well how they sound and am excited to hear the differences/improvements.

Please post your impressions - very interested to hear the differences. I am slowly coming to the conclusion that most home audio systems are simply not designed to be used at the volume levels that a dedicated home theater system will be cranked up to. Even my prev 3-way CC used to strain once I hit -10 ref level (I was feeding it close to 400 watts) while the T8 is coasting easily.

post #116 of 151 Old 01-08-2009, 01:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 432
I think you will find a very big difference between the S-150's and the T8's. I always thought the S-5000's were more dynamic, louder, more neutral, and had a bigger soundstage than the S-150's. Going from the 5000's to T8's(old version) did the same thing but add more detail as well. Then you will get the idea. It should be fun.
post #117 of 151 Old 01-08-2009, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jeff,

I can't wait to experience some of this JTR magic first hand at the Chicagoland GTG next month...

shameless plug

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1096878
post #118 of 151 Old 01-08-2009, 05:59 PM

Anyone think using 2 of theses in a small Bedroom is overkill? 15x15x10.My JBL e100s just aren't cutting it anymore and I want my room to sound as much as a live concert as possible.
post #119 of 151 Old 01-08-2009, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Uh, yeah it is overkill. Good overkill, but definitely overkill

You may be better off with a set of Triple 8's and a good sub or we could get Jeff to make you something custom like a Single 12 (Remember guys, Custom work IS available from JTR...if it won't work for you, chances are we can get Jeff to make you something that will).

There is another system which would do some seriously cool things for you in a small space...
Look at a set of Danley TH-Mini's with a CS-30 sub...a miniature version of the utterly insane SH-50/TH-50 combo which would definitely do it in terms of getting you the sound you want (in spades!) and still allow you room for other things...like a bed. I sell em both and for a smallish room, I'd give them a serious look.

post #120 of 151 Old 01-16-2009, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

Here is my review, both good and bad. First the good. They arrived yesterday and the packaging is first class. Bad news.....won't be able to hook them up or even unpack them till the new house is completed, probably around early to mid July!!

--JK
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page