Triangle Owners Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 65 Old 09-20-2008, 02:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Very soon I will have one of the first, if not the first, sets of black Triangle Esprit Ex (Antal) speakers in the U.S...

I haven't found too many threads on Triangle speakers on this forum so I'd like to hear from all you Triangle owners to see what's out there, all you people who love the way your tweeters reproduce vibrating cymbals with such sweet, high definition, the way your midrange drivers produce vocals with goosebump-raising clarity, and the way your bass woofers fill the air but don't overpower the symphony of sounds.

Maybe you will get to see a picture of my speakers soon...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 Old 09-20-2008, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Make sure you post some pics and thoughts when they come in. I have always really like Triangle
post #3 of 65 Old 09-20-2008, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Will do. Do you own any? Is there a supplier around Boston? I'm originally from that area.
post #4 of 65 Old 09-21-2008, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

I have some old Titus 202's.
There is a shop in Harvard Sq., The Audio Lab, that sells Triangle.
I would really like to hear their new GENĂˆSE line
post #5 of 65 Old 09-22-2008, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter

I read that those Tituses are one of Sam Tellig's, from Stereophile, favorites, that they provide a great soundstage up close.
That's good to know that there's a dealer there. I've never noticed that place going into the garage the few times that I did. Of course, I wasn't too interested in AV equipment then. It sounds like a pretty nice place from some of the reviews.
I'm hesitant to listening to anything potentially better than what I have. It's the reason why I bought what I did. It just sounded so great I couldn't go back down in quality and correspondingly, price.
post #6 of 65 Old 09-22-2008, 05:02 AM
Advanced Member

I have the Antal Esw's:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post14587697

Love the way they sound. I am actually thinking of replacing the Odyssey Minor center with the proper Voce in matching Bordeaux. Thanks for starting this thread!

Analog: Pioneer SX-950, CT-F9191, AD797MCPS, PL-707, RH-65, RG-1, SR-202, Monitor 10/HE-500 hp's
Digital: Laptop, M2tech Young, Oppo 83, Simaudio i5.3, Dali Mentor
post #7 of 65 Old 09-22-2008, 06:32 AM

Liked: 15
I don't know that you are going to get much response here. I have posted several questions and comments about Triangle speakers over the years and received very little in the way of feedback. Triangle has to be one of the most overlooked speakers, IMO, ever.

I own a pair of Titus 202's a pair of Comete 202's a pair of Aliote 202's and a rather high end Nabis 222 center channel which, alone, set me back close to 2 grand a few years ago. While they were all great for HT (hence me owning the rear channel speakers as well as the cc) they are even better for music. I moved them out of my HT and into my music room where they are used exclusivly for music. I have the cc and rear speakers boxed and stored as I might use them some day. The mid-range on Triangle speakers is without peer, IMO, and I can only wonder what the new models sound like. Audiophile recently had a great article where they visited the factory and saw and listened to all the newer models. Here is a link with the first review of the orginal Titus 202's back in 2002.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/titus202_e.html
post #8 of 65 Old 09-22-2008, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Very nice weverb.
I agree with atdamico, I think Triangle speakers are extremely overlooked.
post #9 of 65 Old 09-22-2008, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, very nice weverb. I would try to find a noxa minor in bordeaux if you can for two reasons, 1. Although the voce would be a better match driver size-wise, both the tweeter and midrange have been redesigned material-wise (the tweeter supposedly smoother and physically recessed more), 2. they don't make bordeaux anymore for the ex line - just cognac and black. I'll be happy to share my opinions on how much different it sounds when mine comes in (I actually haven't heard them yet and took a leap of faith that they did improve the sound in the ex line, given I couldn't get my hands on an esw set and the fact that their color options didn't match anything in my living room ).

atdamico, I'm happy with the rate of 3 new people in 3 days Yeah, they are overlooked, but I think that maybe (at least in the U.S.) it's because there is probably an average of 1 dealer per state in the U.S. or less, so people haven't had exposure to the brand and tend to gravitate towards a name they've commonly heard. I personally didn't find out about Triangle until I was looking around for speakers and one dealer here happened to carry them. And even then I wasn't going to try them out but boy am I glad I did.

Here's a link where you can find the a quick review of the antal and comete ex. On the stereophile website you can find a more detailed review of the comete.
http://www.triangle-fr.com/WD100AWP/...tionMod%E8le14
post #10 of 65 Old 09-22-2008, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

I read somewhere that there is about a 200 hour break-in period. That it actually sounds bad somewhere in the middle of that break-in period, but sounds fantastic after. Have any of you had any experiences like this.
post #11 of 65 Old 09-22-2008, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVImpulse View Post

I read somewhere that there is about a 200 hour break-in period. That it actually sounds bad somewhere in the middle of that break-in period, but sounds fantastic after. Have any of you had any experiences like this.

No. Mine sounded great from the start.

I actually picked mine up from a guy I have been dealing with for a couple years now. He is located in Arizona and I am in Florida. He had them shipped direct from his source in Canada. He was the one to point me in their direction. I am glad I listened to him.

I was not going to get a new Voce. I have been keeping my eye for a used one (Esw). Then again I have not tried my original source yet. I am in no rush. Right now the Minor works. It is just up in the cabinet where you cannot see it. I am currently playing with REW to see if I can add an eq to make the L/C/R perfect. My current receiver does not have Audysse.

Analog: Pioneer SX-950, CT-F9191, AD797MCPS, PL-707, RH-65, RG-1, SR-202, Monitor 10/HE-500 hp's
post #12 of 65 Old 09-22-2008, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

The center speakers for the es/esw lines are noxa minor and noxa major (they didn't name it voce then, that I know of), noxa minor having the matching midrange as your antals, major having the bigger to match the celius.
post #13 of 65 Old 09-23-2008, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Here is a sample response on my Antals. I am starting to use REW to help develop some eq filters for them.
LL

post #14 of 65 Old 09-23-2008, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

What's the smooth line? How are you going to input the eq, manually through the receiver?
post #15 of 65 Old 09-23-2008, 01:09 PM

Triangle (pronounced Tree-ongle) is very popular in hifi for those who like the accuracy in soundstaging. I have only heard the Celius and it was jaw dropping but at the time was 2k a pair. Upscale Audio (Online company) sells many.

Complaint I have heard is that they redesign every speaker each year and people don't like the idea of buying something that will be obsolete.

I believe they make everything in-house and the quality is so insanely good for the price it makes it a no brainer.
post #16 of 65 Old 09-23-2008, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What's the smooth line? How are you going to input the eq, manually through the receiver?

The smooth line is the target of 75Hz. I have purchased a Yamaha YDP2006 parametric eq which the L/R run through. You have way more control than something like Audysee.

post #17 of 65 Old 09-24-2008, 03:39 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah they make everything in house. I believe that if you truly like the speakers you currently own then any new redesigned speakers shouldn't really affect you. I would have gone with the esw line if I could have gotten a matching set. And because they make everything in house they have the capability of fixing something that is "obselete". I heard that someone sent in a 15-20 yr old speaker with a broken driver and they repaired it.

weverb, I have Audyssey on my receiver and will be playing around it when I get my speakers, so I'm not too familiar with how customizable it is. Are you changing the EQ and measuring or are you measuring then changing the eq according to the readout?
post #18 of 65 Old 09-24-2008, 05:47 AM

Here is a story about customer service. I purchased my pair of Titus 202's used. A few years later one the midrange driver went bad. I emailed Triangle to purchase a new driver and they sent me to their US distributor in the East. That distributor sent me a brand new driver, no charge, and even paid for shipping. It arrived damaged so they sent out another one. I made the repair and haven't had an issue since. I can't think of another speaker manufacturer that would replace, free of charge, a blown driver inside a speaker cabinet that someone bought used with no receipt. Fantastic service. As good as the sound.
post #19 of 65 Old 09-24-2008, 08:10 AM

I have never been disappointed on each time I heard the Celius. It also matched well different electronics, which is a super plus!
post #20 of 65 Old 09-24-2008, 11:26 AM
lgp

I recently bought a pair of Triangle Genese Quartet and after 2 months my impression is utterly positive. The sound quality is great with exceptionally treble and mid range. Details and perspective are first class.

At the moment I'm looking for an amplifier to match my speakers. The amp should have a warm sound with a solid bass reproduction. I've been testing Marantz, Electrocompaniet and Vincent with good results. Since my speakers is integrated in my home cinema, the amplifier can be a receiver, seperates (like the Marantz 8003 set) and/or a integrated amp with "cinema" input.

Any suggestions?

I'm also waiting on Cary Cinema 11a and the new power amps Model 7.125 or 7.250. I'm not sure how the Cary equipment sound. Do the Cary products hve a "warmer" sound?

Also been thinking about the NAD Master series. Havn't tried them yet.

Well, that's my thoughts for now. I hope you can share your experience as well .

Lars-Gunnar
post #21 of 65 Old 09-24-2008, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

weverb, I have Audyssey on my receiver and will be playing around it when I get my speakers, so I'm not too familiar with how customizable it is. Are you changing the EQ and measuring or are you measuring then changing the eq according to the readout?

Basically, with REW, I take a base line reading so I know what I am dealing with and where to focus. REW has the ability to help make filters for any type of eq. This capability also gives you a predicted outcome. Once I have done that, I enter the filters into the eq and remeasure. I then compare the new graph to the original. You can make changes if need be. Once I am happy with the results, I start playing all the cd's I am use to and see if I like the results. Right now I am still in the building filters phase and should be done soon.

I don't think Audyssey lets you focus on a certain frequency range. Certain receivers/levels of Audyssey don't let you adjust the subs either. I think the only thing you can change is speaker settings (size, xo point, distances, etc.).

post #22 of 65 Old 09-24-2008, 11:56 AM

Lars,

I currently have the Marantz SR8002thx as my receiver and though it does not have the impact of seperates, it has a great warm sound. I don't see spending money on seperates since formats upgrade each year. Speakers are more enduring. Besides you will need a Pre/pro to process the source.
post #23 of 65 Old 09-24-2008, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Lars,

I am using a Sherbourn 5/5210A to drive my Antal's. The combo sounds great and they love the extra power.

post #24 of 65 Old 09-24-2008, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgp View Post

I recently bought a pair of Triangle Genese Quartet and after 2 months my impression is utterly positive. The sound quality is great with exceptionally treble and mid range. Details and perspective are first class.

At the moment I'm looking for an amplifier to match my speakers. The amp should have a warm sound with a solid bass reproduction. I've been testing Marantz, Electrocompaniet and Vincent with good results. Since my speakers is integrated in my home cinema, the amplifier can be a receiver, seperates (like the Marantz 8003 set) and/or a integrated amp with "cinema" input.

Any suggestions?

I'm also waiting on Cary Cinema 11a and the new power amps Model 7.125 or 7.250. I'm not sure how the Cary equipment sound. Do the Cary products hve a "warmer" sound?

Also been thinking about the NAD Master series. Havn't tried them yet.

Well, that's my thoughts for now. I hope you can share your experience as well .

Lars-Gunnar

Nice! They really start making the finish look good at that line.
I haven't tried any of the amps you listed but I have tried the NAD M25/M15. It wasn't with triangles but with Paradigm studio 100 v.4 (which are 1dB less sensitive then yours). It definitely had enough power (NAD is usually conservative with their specs). And the bass was really tight and solid, although most of that is attributed to those speakers. I have tried T765 with the Celius with no complaints, bass was neutral and not overpowering. Overall I think NAD is on the warmer side if I'd have to say, definitely didn't make the triangles shrill. Comparing M25 to a T785 (both with the Paradigm), I want to say the M25 allowed for a little more dynamics but they were in different rooms so I can't say for certain.

I have a T775. I'll let you how they sound with my Antals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY Colonel View Post

Lars,

I don't see spending money on seperates since formats upgrade each year. Speakers are more enduring.

Wouldn't separates make more sense because of this reasoning? You can get a nice amp and keep it while upgrading your pre/pro when you want to/have to. Also, NAD has receivers and a pre/pro with modular video and audio cards that you can upgrade in the future.
post #25 of 65 Old 09-24-2008, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Has anyone compared the Antal and Celius in the ESW line? I was wondering what the different in sound was with that larger midrange. My dealer said they sounded the same.
post #26 of 65 Old 09-24-2008, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

AVImpulse,

That's funny. I was originally driving my Antals with a NAD T754. No where near enough power for them though. I would say that the Sherbourn sounds about the same as the NAD. To my ears, they are a good match. I still use my T754 as a pre/pro now. I am debating about upgrading to a T175 or an Integra 9.8. Not sure right now.

post #27 of 65 Old 09-24-2008, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Were you experiencing clipping/reduced dynamics or just not loud enough for you? It was amusing in that stereophile writeup, the guy tries out the antals with a 9w amp and says it might suffice listening close-up.
post #28 of 65 Old 09-24-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weverb View Post

Lars,

I am using a Sherbourn 5/5210A to drive my Antal's. The combo sounds great and they love the extra power.

Interesting. I use the exact same amp in my HT. I love the monoblock design and it delivers more than ample power. I only have great things to say about it. I use a NAD prepro and have no complaints. I had all my Triangle speakers connected to these sources and the marriage was wonderful. I have since moved my Triangle speakers to my music room, as I stated earlier, they are now being powered by a Yamaha receiver. Do I notice a difference in sound between when they were connected to my seperates and now my Yamaha receiver? Nope. They sound equally good both ways. But, while old, my Yamaha was the flagship of that line 10 years ago and puts out 110 wpc measured.
post #29 of 65 Old 09-24-2008, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Were you experiencing clipping/reduced dynamics or just not loud enough for you? It was amusing in that stereophile writeup, the guy tries out the antals with a 9w amp and says it might suffice listening close-up.

I heard clipping at moderately (over -14dB) high volumes. With the Sherbourn, I can go to -5dB and still not hear a thing. I have not tried anything louder than that!

post #30 of 65 Old 09-25-2008, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Updated frequency response graph of my Antals. Very smooth and not bright!
LL

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page