Rear speaker's wall clearance / ear's accuracy - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-22-2008, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
About the setup: I'm mounting rear speakers on the rear (stone)wall. "Hotspot"/couch is right against the rear wall too, so rear speakers'll be sideways on the wall, facing each other and tilted down towards the listener. Distance from the listener'll be about 150cm horisontally and 150cm vertically. Room is 380cm long and 410 wide, and there's no other possible location for the couch (or the speakers.. on wall mounts high on the wall is the only choice).

And then to the question: Should I use a wall mount in which the speaker's side would be 15cm from the wall (cone's distance from the wall ~25cm), or a wall mount in which the distance would be only 1-2cm.. (K&M 24185 or 24195).

The more away from the wall the better, but.. listener's ear'll be only 20cm from the rear wall, so with the longer mount the speaker's cone'll be ~5cm farther from the rear wall than ear. And thus I have to turn my rear speaker to slightly face the rear wall. Doesnt sound like the greatest idea. Then again, using the smaller mount will place the speaker really close to the wall.. (but then I can turn it slightly frontwards to face the listener).

Which of these dismal solutions would be less crappy? Any suggestions are distinquished.

And one more thing: Speakers are Tannoy Sensys 1 (not DC model). Not the best choice to be attached to wall, but these are the toys I have to play with, for the moment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-22-2008, 12:01 PM

My 2 cents here.

I'm curious how the listener's heads are only 20 cm from the back wall. In my couch, when seated my head is almost 20 cm forward of the back cushion. Add that to the 20-25cm thickness of the cushion and I'm 40 cm or more away from the back wall. Nonetheless that's close, but not unworkable. My setup is similar.

Give the speakers some distance away from the back wall so you don't get all kinds of issues with reflected sound from the wall disturbing the directionality and focus.

I don't have an issue with the height so much as I do with the closeness of the couch to the back wall.

I don't know these particular speakers, but if they aren't ported from the rear I'd keep them as far away from the listeners as you can so mount them close to the side wall and a bit further from the rear wall. You might actually luck out and get reflected sound off the rear wall that will add in setting up a rear sound effect.

My room works well with two side surround speakers. I too cannot get them behind the couch.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-22-2008, 06:56 PM

I have a very similar issue only that I only have a side wall on my right side. So, I'll really rear-mount them but will do it a little 'wide' and will point them down and in towards the couch.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-22-2008, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

What can I say about the distance from my ear to the back wall.. I think it's just about the shape/design of the sofa I have basic Natuzzi leather sofa, nothing odd about that.

My only possible options are those two mounts:
http ://www.k-m.de/SPEAKER-WALL-MOUNT.3+M52c818c5410.0.html
or
http ://www.k-m.de/SPEAKER-WALL-MOUNT.3+M57042dd4c5f.0.html

So the question really is: 'll it sound funny, if the speaker'll be farther away from the rear wall than my ear, and thus turned little bit towards the rear wall. Can I hear that the sound is coming from the from of me, and 'll reflections be much worse because of the direction of the speaker.

Speakers (http: //www.tannoy-speakers.com/s.php?product=125) are ported.

P.S. Take the space away between http and : if you want to use those links.. haven't posted 3 posts yet so I'm not allowed to use URL's.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-23-2008, 07:19 AM

Will it sound funny? No, it is not optimal, but you will still get a spacial feeling from the sound. In a 5.1 setup the surrounds can be directly beside you and still work fine. That's how mine is set up. It does indeed sound better if you can get a perfect setup, but how many homes have a perfect setup available?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page