Best Speaker Magnets - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 32 Old 09-25-2008, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I always wondered about this but what's the best speaker magnets? I seen that most high end speakers uses Neodymium for all drivers. My Sony SRS-ZX1 was $400 and it's the most high end compact speakers from Sony and it uses Neodymium magnets. I also see that even the most high end magnets on headphones use Neodymium. So does this mean that Neodymium is the best magnets for any speakers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 09-25-2008, 10:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Neodymium is used because compared to something like Alnico, they're far stronger as magnets (I'm keeping it simple here) which means you can use a smaller magnet to achieve essentially the same effect. It is also has improved stability under varying storage conditions as well as while being manufactured. Costs are not signifcantly more than Alnico. However, those aren't the only magnets used in speakers. You'll find that barium and strontium ferrites represent a very substantial percentage of all sold. In the end, I wouldn't pay too much attention to this. People who write this stuff have to say something. After all, a Yugo with gold fuses is still a POS.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #3 of 32 Old 09-25-2008, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 32
thats kind of a wierd question. im not sure that there is a "best magnet" but i do know that what type and how it is implemented can have an effect on sensitivity and transient response. i would not base my decision to buy a speaker on its magnet.

Close your eyes and hear the truth!
post #4 of 32 Old 09-25-2008, 11:14 AM

No single element of a speaker's design makes it good or bad. What matters is the design as a whole.
post #5 of 32 Old 09-25-2008, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I've not seen many "high end" systems using neo at all, except maybe the tweeter. You may see it more often in high efficiency designs that use pro audio drivers. So I'm not sure what high end speakers you are referring too? I would not consider a $400 pair of Sony's to be high end either...are you sure ALL of the drivers are neo?

It's typically used for tweeters and headphones because of it's small size. It's only common on woofers in pro audio since weight is also an important criteria for speakers.
post #6 of 32 Old 09-25-2008, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

there are some very high end drivers that use neo in mid woofers such as scanspeak revelator ($220 or more for 1 driver). and many of the best tweeters in the world such as seas excel millennium ($225each) also use it. as has been said b4 do not base your decision on what to buy from just one small piece of a very large and complex puzzle that is a well made good sounding speaker.

post #7 of 32 Old 09-25-2008, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Well is Alnico the best type of magets for speakers or Neo? Or if both speakers are built well are both the best magnets for speakers?
post #8 of 32 Old 09-25-2008, 07:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
"Check, please..."

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

post #9 of 32 Old 09-25-2008, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro View Post

I've not seen many "high end" systems using neo at all, except maybe the tweeter. You may see it more often in high efficiency designs that use pro audio drivers. So I'm not sure what high end speakers you are referring too? I would not consider a $400 pair of Sony's to be high end either...are you sure ALL of the drivers are neo?

It's typically used for tweeters and headphones because of it's small size. It's only common on woofers in pro audio since weight is also an important criteria for speakers.

Well I have seen alot of high end speakers like example the JBL PT800 all drivers there use Neo and it says they make powerful sound. But anyways why I say that the $400 speakers are high end is since for such a small speakers it cost soo much. I mean for a 57 mm driver I think it's the most advance speakers ever. It have long throw woofers to make alot of bass too plus of cource the neo magnets. I think there are other things that makes this speakers great for it's small size too.
post #10 of 32 Old 09-25-2008, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

But I guess I could ask this but does Neo magnets usualy sound better than Ferrite magnets? Since I also have seen on the net that Neo gives better bass and clear sound and also Neodymium packs more magnetic energy per ounce than conventional Ferrite, Samarium Cobalt or Aluminum magnets.
post #11 of 32 Old 09-25-2008, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

The type of magnet does not affect the sound quality in properly designed speakers. The type that manufacturers choose depends on the design constraints that they have to follow. Different drivers may require different magnets depending on what the drivers are designed to do. The important thing is the design as a whole -- is the design for optimal performance -- is the magnet used appropriate for the driver material and needs.
post #12 of 32 Old 09-26-2008, 04:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcswoosh05 View Post

But I guess I could ask this but does Neo magnets usualy sound better than Ferrite magnets? Since I also have seen on the net that Neo gives better bass and clear sound and also Neodymium packs more magnetic energy per ounce than conventional Ferrite, Samarium Cobalt or Aluminum magnets.

Stop taking the damned HYPE so seriously!!!!

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #13 of 32 Old 09-26-2008, 05:48 AM

Quote:

Well I have seen alot of high end speakers like example the JBL PT800 all drivers there use Neo and it says they make powerful sound. But anyways why I say that the $400 speakers are high end is since for such a small speakers it cost soo much. I mean for a 57 mm driver I think it's the most advance speakers ever. It have long throw woofers to make alot of bass too plus of cource the neo magnets. I think there are other things that makes this speakers great for it's small size too.

There are compact, bookshelf-sized speakers costing $2K - $5K from Sonus Faber, B&W and others, so I don't know why you're getting so excited by $400 speakers. But in any case, why in the world would you care about the magnets, unless you're building DIY speakers (and in that case, you're in the wrong forum)?

There is no sound that's generated by, or which passes through, the magnets. They're just there to provide a magnetic field which causes the coils to move, when the signal passes through the coils. In headphones, where space/size is critical, it's best to use magnets with a strong field for their size. But even bookshelf-sized speakers have plenty of room for any magnets they want.
post #14 of 32 Old 09-26-2008, 05:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

But in any case, why in the world would you care about the magnets, unless you're building DIY speakers

I was going to post the same question and actually suggest this is a discussion for a DIY section. To actually argue about what magnets are instead of build speakers is kind of silly. The OP should be talking to the guys that build the drivers to get the right answers.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #15 of 32 Old 09-26-2008, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

i'm sorry to burst your bubble lcsw but a $400 (per pair) sony speaker is not even close to being " the most advanced speaker ever " i looked them up they are just some small computer speakers with built in amps. ill bet the drivers (raw speakers) in them cost sony less than $10 each. at $200 each i think they are a little over priced, you should look into some logitech z series, or nht stuff. and just so you are aware there are high end small bookshelf speakers that cost many thousands of dollars each, the binding posts on them cost more than the sonys. the jbl proformance speakers that you wrote about are very nice - much better than anything sony makes but they are not even close to the best you can get. if you really wanted to find an expensive speaker that uses neo magnets to try and prove a point that we keep telling you makes no sense than you should have used my examples - those raw drivers are used in some speakers that cost more than some peoples house. if you want to get a better idea of what an expensive "high end" speaker looks like look up wilsonaudio.com and magico.net. i will say this one more time and then im done with this (cant help it want to help people) a magnet that uses neo is fine it can work well when space or weight is an issue (such as tiny computer speakers that you also have to put an amp and crossover in) but in the end the magnet is just a part in a complex system, just like spark plugs are a small part of a car. would you give me $75,000 for a car if all i told you was it had nice spark plugs?

post #16 of 32 Old 09-26-2008, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Well if the Magnets doesn't make difference on sound then why does it say on Sony's site that Neo gives powerful bass and clear treble. I use to have a headphone that was using Neo and it said that also. I thought that meant that Neo was the best type of magnet to make the best sound and others like Ferrite aren't good at all meaning old tech and not advance. It also did say that Neo gives more sensitivity that other magnets.
post #17 of 32 Old 09-26-2008, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well if the Magnets doesn't make difference on sound then why does it say on Sony's site that Neo gives powerful bass and clear treble. I use to have a headphone that was using Neo and it said that also. I thought that meant that Neo was the best type of magnet to make the best sound and others like Ferrite aren't good at all meaning old tech and not advance. It also did say that Neo gives more sensitivity that other magnets.

Without a magnet, you wouldn't get any bass. Neo or otherwise.

Don't misinterpret everything you read. Sony doesn't make comparisons between neo or ferrite in a controlled manner making their comments worthless in terms of comparison between the magnets..
post #18 of 32 Old 09-26-2008, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

ok i have to ask this, lcs how old are you?

post #19 of 32 Old 09-26-2008, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

do you think that sony is going to say hey, our speakers are not that good so please buy them?

post #20 of 32 Old 09-26-2008, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Does Neodymium magnets pack more magnetic energy per ounce than conventional Ferrite, Samarium Cobalt or Aluminum magnets?
post #21 of 32 Old 09-26-2008, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Magnets schmagnets. My speakers are steam/piston powered.
post #22 of 32 Old 09-26-2008, 07:53 PM

I don't usually like to flaunt this, but my driver magnets are made from meteorites that are from chunks of the planet where my subwoofer was tested to make sure it really could go to '10' eons ago.
post #23 of 32 Old 09-26-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopguru View Post

I don't usually like to flaunt this, but my driver magnets are made from meteorites that are from chunks of the planet where my subwoofer was tested to make sure it really could go to '10' eons ago.

are you a meteor freak you you have any abilities ?

He who dies with the most toys wins.
Just make sure your toys are over 18.

System 1: Harman Kardon AVR-745, AV123 X-Statik, X-Voce, X-LS, MFW-15
post #24 of 32 Old 09-26-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:

Does Neodymium magnets pack more magnetic energy per ounce than conventional Ferrite, Samarium Cobalt or Aluminum magnets?

what does this matter? unless you are talking about HP's and especially IEM's, it does not really matter...

post #25 of 32 Old 09-27-2008, 03:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well if the Magnets doesn't make difference on sound then why does it say on Sony's site that Neo gives powerful bass and clear treble.

lmao, its called marketing BS.

You should ignore any companny product documentation that starts saying "Gives powerful", "Gives Clear". These statements are 100% meaningless except to convince people like you that they *must* be better then other products.

post #26 of 32 Old 09-27-2008, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

my speakers magnets are made from bolognaum

post #27 of 32 Old 09-27-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio0947 View Post

my speakers magnets are made from bolognaum

I call B.S.

post #28 of 32 Old 09-27-2008, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well if the Magnets doesn't make difference on sound then why does it say on Sony's site that Neo gives powerful bass and clear treble.

In a word: MARKETING

For even better marketing, visit the Bose site. Note: Marketing has about as much effect on the sound of a speaker as the magnet material.
post #29 of 32 Old 09-27-2008, 08:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
For even better marketing, visit the Bose site.

or Monster products

post #30 of 32 Old 09-27-2008, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

or Monster products

Or Wilson Audio.

"Marketers often use the term "perceived value" as a measure of what they're selling. Our only interest is in "authentic value"."

How do you measure authentic value?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page