Help me choose speeker for Onkyo 806 or 876 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-02-2008, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I really need some help, I don't know much about speakers. I am going to buy one of these Receivers tx-sr806 or tx-sr876 unless there is a better on that can be recommended for around the same price, I would like if it had internet connection on the receiver as well. I am not sure what speakers I should buy to go with the Receiver. This unit will go in a HT that is 18' wide and 25' long. I am looking at spending about $1000.00 for the speakers, these Receivers are both 7.1 surround. Any advice would be helpful, I know nothing.
Thanks again
Respectfully
Pinealps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-02-2008, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

http://www.aperionaudio.com
post #3 of 10 Old 10-02-2008, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineAlps View Post

I really need some help, I don't know much about speakers. I am going to buy one of these Receivers tx-sr806 or tx-sr876 unless there is a better on that can be recommended for around the same price, I would like if it had internet connection on the receiver as well. I am not sure what speakers I should buy to go with the Receiver. This unit will go in a HT that is 18' wide and 25' long. I am looking at spending about $1000.00 for the speakers, these Receivers are both 7.1 surround. Any advice would be helpful, I know nothing.
Thanks again
Respectfully
Pinealps

IMO your going to spend to much on a receiver for your speaker budget. You could take the additional cash savings, and add that to your speaker budget. Since speakers are going to give you the biggest impacted in sound quality.

Take a look at these receivers

Yamaha RX-V663 $499
http://store.audioholics.com/product...yamaha-rx-v663

or the

Onkyo TX-SR606 $599

with these speaker packages

SVS SBS-01 (Excellent budget HT system. Highly recommended)
http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs_black.cfm

AV123 ELT525
http://**********/component/page,shop...art/Itemid,37/
post #4 of 10 Old 10-02-2008, 11:24 AM

That's an awful lot of cubic footage to fill for $1k, IMO. I would think towers for the front and the matching center would be the best option, with a stout sub to provide that size room with low end. And maybe want to limit yourself to 5.1 (just because the receiver is 7.1 doesn't mean you have to use all 7). Check into Polk and BIC tower models.

kirk

Nothing like doom metal in the morning to get you going
post #5 of 10 Old 10-02-2008, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Agreed with Mazersteven. You are putting too much on your receiver. Cut back and put it towards your speaker. Onkyo 606 are on sale for under $400. If you want more power, Onkyo 805 can be had around $600ish. AV123 ELT525 package is definately a good buy.

You can also look at some speakers from Infinity, Polk, Boston Acoustic, PSB, Elemental Design, BIC Acoustech as well.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-02-2008, 12:02 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PineAlps View Post

Thanks again
Respectfully
Pinealps

How about spending less for a receiver, Onkyo TX-SR606 (it's under $400) and use the savings on the speakers?

Yamaha RX-V671 receiver

Infinity Beta 5.1

post #7 of 10 Old 10-02-2008, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

After looking at what everyone has said, I think I will start looking at a cheaper receiver, maybe $500 to $700, and increase the speaker budget to $1500.00. Would you still recommend the Onkyo 805 or is there a better value out there for the receiver? Also will I be able to get the proper speakers to fill a room that is 18' x 25'? Thanks again for the help.
Respectfully
PineAlps
post #8 of 10 Old 10-04-2008, 09:09 AM

I own an Onkyo 805, and I say you stay with that. You have a big room and you will need all that power to pressurize the room. My room is 12' x 26', and I have wall mounted Maggies, and 2 subwoofers (2 subs would be highly recommended, buy one now and add another later.) I recommend Maggies, (but not the wall mounted ones, because your room is too wide), but that is a personal preference. Find a Magnepan dealer, and give them a listen, for a lot of people their speaker auditions end there. Have fun!
post #9 of 10 Old 10-04-2008, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Onkyo 805 is a great buy especially they are being sold for $600 or under now in many area. I have my Onkyo 805 for over a year now and love it.
If heat is an issue, you might want to look at any of these fans from buyextras.com to cool down your receiver. Heat is not an issue with me because I have enough space but I still bought it anyway.

http://www.buyextras.com/evavcoblfanf.html

For your budget, I think its better to stick with 5.1 at this time and add more when you have more money to complete 7.1. There are already great speakers mention aboved already but would like to add these:

Take a look at these Swans Diva 6.1 faux black (will be pushing your budget):

http://www.ozhometheater.com/ozht_pr...orstanding.htm

http://www.ozhometheater.com/ozht_pr...ers_center.htm

http://www.ozhometheater.com/ozht_pr..._bookshelf.htm

Subs: Take a look SVS, HSU, Epik, AV123 MFW 15

For Wires: 12 AWG is what I used. Wires, cables, HDMI: best prices can be found at www.monoprice.com
post #10 of 10 Old 10-04-2008, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

I give a +1 to calnbs often in my mind, if not explicitly. He always has good ideas for performance on a budget.

One thing that I am not totally crazy about with some of those Swans, as well as with some Aperions, is the lower sensitivity.

Especially for a larger room, and most especially for HT. my 2 cents.

but, for only moderate volumes, it may not matter. Also depends on the seated distance. YMMV.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page