Center channel speaker on top of sub? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-03-2008, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I will be purchasing my first center channel ever soon and was wondering how many of you have used your sub as a kind of speaker stand. I ask because I've got my sub (HSU VTF-2 MK-3) placed precisely between the L/R speakers and under my wall mounted TV. Here's a pic:

I've found that it sounds the best in this position. I used to have it in the front right corner, which gave tons of output and boom but I was continually brought out of my listening experiences because it was too easy to localize, even with low crossovers. Where it is now, the output is slightly weaker but the soundstage is far more seamless and convincing.

Anyway, as you can see, the best place for the center channel is directly below the TV and the easiest way to achieve this would be to place the center on top of the sub. Now, just to let you know I've thought about this a bit already, I will be placing an Auralex GRAMMA underneath the HSU and would also use a pair of Auralex MoPADs to isolate the center channel from the sub's vibrations.

Do you think this would be a viable solution? Have any of you used this configuration? Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-03-2008, 01:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 65
It will work fine. The only concern would be physical vibrations between the 2 cabinets and with the MoPads, I think you have that well covered. Otherwise, the subwoofer will not affect the center speaker's output nor damage it.

Are those Ref1.5s or 1.8s? I think they're 1.5s. I tried a pair of those. Even though I returned them, I thought they sounded quite nice. The low-end performance was both particularly surprising and pleasing. Very rich and smooth down there.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #3 of 3 Old 10-03-2008, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

It will work fine. The only concern would be physical vibrations between the 2 cabinets and with the MoPads, I think you have that well covered. Otherwise, the subwoofer will not affect the center speaker's output nor damage it.

Great. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

Are those Ref1.5s or 1.8s? I think they're 1.5s. I tried a pair of those. Even though I returned them, I thought they sounded quite nice. The low-end performance was both particularly surprising and pleasing. Very rich and smooth down there.

They are 1.5s. I love them, but I am currently trying to sell them to afford some more economical speakers, better suited to HT.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page