cambridge soundworks vs. klipsch - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-06-2008, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am trying to pair a speaker system with an Onkyo SR606. I have to go with a small set of speakers and I need to stay under $500.00. I am looking at 2 5.1 systems.

I will be using the system 50% movies, 25% PS3 and 25% music.

Klipsch Quintet II with KSW-10 Sub $449.99 at Vanns

or

Cambridge SoundWorks - Newton Ensemble MC155 Home Theater - Special Edition $479.99 at Cambridge

Please let me know if you have any ideas. I have never heard of Cambridge before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-06-2008, 02:43 PM

Take a look at the Mirage Nanostat.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-lbSHngY...x?I=653NANSYPB

First off never listen to audiophiles. They are like crackheads chasing the dragon after the first hit.-anonymous hater
post #3 of 9 Old 10-06-2008, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

I listed to the nanosats at the same time as the definitive tech pro cinema 600 and the definitives blew the nanosats away. It left me looking for more. However, the pro cinema are $800 for the set, about $350 more than i can afford. I want something with a little bit more base from the sats.
post #4 of 9 Old 05-07-2010, 08:26 PM

I realize I'm necro'ing this thread but I just wanted to state my opinion on the question. Personally, I like the midrange more with Cambridge speakers than the Klipsch. Am i the only one here? (just curious)

Headphones: Sennheiser HD650, HD598, HD280PRO, Denon AH-D2000, Beyerdynamic DT880 (250ohm), Klipsch S4
Soundcard: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD
Computer Speaker System: Cambridge SoundWorks Extreme 2.1 Computer Speaker
post #5 of 9 Old 05-08-2010, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovaldes View Post

I am trying to pair a speaker system with an Onkyo SR606. I have to go with a small set of speakers and I need to stay under $500.00. I am looking at 2 5.1 systems.

I will be using the system 50% movies, 25% PS3 and 25% music.

Klipsch Quintet II with KSW-10 Sub $449.99 at Vanns

or

Cambridge SoundWorks - Newton Ensemble MC155 Home Theater - Special Edition $479.99 at Cambridge

Please let me know if you have any ideas. I have never heard of Cambridge before.

I have owned CS and currently own Klipsch and I would go with Klipsch all day long.

Don't get the Quintet II, it's nice but for $519 you can get the Klipsch HD Theater 1000. Newer technology, more stylish and sounds awesome.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...ingid=38589468
post #6 of 9 Old 12-19-2011, 01:11 AM

Location: Wichita KS, often in other places in the world (see my occupation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrnie View Post

I realize I'm necro'ing this thread but I just wanted to state my opinion on the question. Personally, I like the midrange more with Cambridge speakers than the Klipsch. Am i the only one here? (just curious)

I'm totally for the Cambridge Soundworks, much for the reason you mentioned. They have a nice presence, and the value for the $$ just cannot be beat.

I have their premium computer speakers in 5.1, a Model 12 (one of my most favorite possessions) and have a few mains speaker lines, from the Ensemble II, to New Ensemble, Newton and now am using a MC305 based system in the theater room that is paired with their 10" BassCube 105. Their subwoofers of today are WORLDS better than they were years ago. I routinely get compliments on how tight, punch and extended the bass sounds. It's never boomy where it shouldn't be, and sounds equally good on music and .1 channel effects.

In the bedroom I use an Energy Take 5.1 Classic system--which I think is another great system and truly there is no better value! The Energys likely have more flat response, more similar to a studio monitor like the KRKs I use in there. But I tire of them.

With the no-risk 45-day trial, there is no reason not to audition Cambridge Soundworks speaker systems! My only advice is that if you like razor sharp and shimmering high-end, you can forget about any package that uses MC55's as satellites. The MC 105's are marginally better, but you'd Do better to at least use MC155s--those are good speakers for fronts and centers, and only use MC105s or MC55s for rear surround, where crisp transients aren't as crucial. Even so, sounds blend very naturally when panning front and back even on these speaker packages that use different models front and back.

Mirage is good, too, but I personally find that the mirage nanosat speakers do not perform well when turned up to theater-reference levels or when they are pushed. As long as you don't exceed moderate volume levels, mirage nanosat will serve you well.

(forgive me for adding to this old post--I just wanted to give some insight to people who come here and search for Cambridge Soundworks, anD don't see much new information)
post #7 of 9 Old 12-19-2011, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 244
[quote=ovaldes;14812357]I am trying to pair a speaker system with an Onkyo SR606. I have to go with a small set of speakers and I need to stay under $500.00. I am looking at 2 5.1 systems.

One thing I want to mention is that Cambridge Audio and Cambridge Soundworks are two unrelated companies; avoid confusing them.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-19-2011, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 244
One thing I want to mention is that Cambridge Audio and Cambridge Soundworks are two unrelated companies; avoid confusing them.

There is a special on Amazon right now that someone should jump on real fast! There is only one available!

The Martin-Logan Home Theatre System, MLT-2, which normally sells for $1200, is on sale there for $499. This is one EXCELLENT system!

Why this is being sold at such a low price is a mystery to me; Martin-Logan is a high-end company and their speakers are rarely discounted very much. Get it quick or you won't get it.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-13-2012, 07:50 AM

Liked: 11
Lenard, you're the perfect person for me to ask a question from. I've had the Cambridge soundworks ensemble 3 (I think) in my bedroom for almost 10 years it sounds perfect and I bought it used for just $100 back then.

It finally came time to replace my sound system in the living room and throw out the broken sony HTIB. So I got an Onkyo TX-NR709 receiver with Energy Take Classic 5.0 and BIC V-80 sub. After reading all the reviews I was ready to be impressed, and I'm not. Maybe the Energy's just need some break-in time, maybe it's the settings, or maybe it's the speaker position, but my bedroom system with a much much cheaper receiver just sounds way better to me.

Any idea? Have you tried listening to the same recording on both system back to back? I have to decide whether to return the Energy and get something else like maybe used Cambridge Soundworks or something totally different like Martin Logan MLT-2 or Def Tec ProCinama or one of the Polk packages. I hope maybe it's just me doing something wrong with Energys because the reviews were all good.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page