Paradigm Signature v1 vs Studio v4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-09-2008, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone done an a/b comparison of the Paradigm Sig v1's vs the Studio v4's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-10-2008, 05:43 AM

I was contemplating the Studio 100s(v4) not long ago, and though they had a great sound (to us), but then I ran into a pair of Sig4s(v1).
...ended up with the S4s. Cleaner, more polished sound and overall more mature than the 100s. I felt that even with the extra woofers, the 100s needed a sub regardless. S4s abviously will be too colorful all by themselves, so plan accordingly. Even though my S4s are older than the new 100s, I think they sound more refined. I have them mated with a SVS sub, and no matter how high or low the volume is, I can pick every detail in any recording I've played thus far.
Hope this helps a bit...
post #3 of 10 Old 10-10-2008, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

Yes that does help. Thank you. I should be able to really sit down and listed to the studio 100's today, but won't be able to do an a/b comparison. I curious to see what my thoughts are after. A dealer told me not to buy the sig v1's, but to go with v2's or sudio v4's. Being that he sells the v4's new and has a set of v2's used I was a little suspicious.

I just learned from this forum that the S2's hit lower bass. Does the S4 have more accurate, or tighter bass? What is that extra woofer doing? I'm running a Paradigm PS-1000 sub. Will I even notice a difference, and would anyone have a recommended crossover frequency?
post #4 of 10 Old 10-10-2008, 07:01 AM

Sorry that I can't answer many of your Qs, but ultimatelly, try to listen to all ofthem, then pick what you like most.
I only heard the current Monitor and Studio lines.
I only heard the v1 version of Sigs.
Went with the Sigs....because of sound quality and the deal I mad eon them (I think).
Perhaps v2 will be better, in one way or another - I don't know.
For my budget, i tried to find the best sounding (to me) speakers.
As everyone here will repeat this: buy what you like and/or can afford.
My S4s have very details highs, and great mids.
Don't pay att. to them with respect to bass, as the SVS subs take over in that dept.

I try to enjoy the music, and not bother myself with every single aspect of sound; I guess I'm not as much of a purist/audiophile as some other people are.
...I don't need to be.

PS:
Just for comparison, everyone thought the wife and I were crazy when, time after time, we kep saying that Deftecs (no matter which) we auditionned sounded "bleh..."
We fell in love with Paras - but everyone is different.
Good luck.

PPS:
Listen to yourself, not the dealer. If you make a wrong decision at least you'll have no one else to blame.

post #5 of 10 Old 10-10-2008, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your input 99. I will definitely trust my ears over my dealers mouth. Right now I'm just fishing for info until I can demo the Studio v4's. Unfortunately I won't be able to do an a/b comparison. I am fortunate enough to have friends that have different paradigm setups to where I can listen to them, just not everything at the same time. But as far as the dealer goes, he only has the S4 v1, and they are dinged pretty bad. Really bad. I live in a small town so the chances of the v2's coming in as demos... well, I will go buy a lotto ticket instead of waiting
post #6 of 10 Old 10-10-2008, 04:13 PM

Ahh, I see.
My S4s were/are flawless.

PS:
Just last night there were 3 separate auctions on fleabay for a full 5.0 set of Signatures (S4s, C3, and whatever the number for surrounds is). They were said to be 4 month young, piano black.
Looked good!

I think the seller pulled the whole auction; perhaps made a deal with someone who wanted the whole set.
Good luck.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-10-2008, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Well I auditioned the studio 100 v4's today, and I have to say I was impressed. They sounded very nice. I can't say it was a fair comparison though. There were different room acoustics, and the studio 100's had lots of clean power. We cranked the volume on a jazz album and while the bass hit hard there was no distortion in the guitar or percussion. You sure get a lot for your money with these speakers! One thing that I didn't like, is that I couldn't get the studio 100's to image well. This could have been the room acoustics, but I really don't know. I think his outlaw amp really helped these speakers shine, and I wonder how my Denon 3805 would handle the studio 100's. Whether this is real or only perceived, I think the sigs had more detail. There seemed to be more separation, and imaging was far better. We did put the crossover at 70hz at one point, and the differences were much more noticeable. I'm going to make one more trip to listen to the sigs and see what I think. I really want a full range speaker, and for as good as the studio 100's are, I'm not sure if I will be completely satisfied. I don't want to feel like I need to upgrade in a few years. With all that said, I have a budget I need to keep in perspective. I still have to ponder this over at the slow rate that I make these sorts of decisions . I'm the anti-impulse buyer. I guess that is a good thing since I have expensive hobbies.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-11-2008, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Both 99 and I got some Sig S4's - Rosewood off Audiogon.com, If you have patients everything shows up there eventually. Mine were Brand New in an Unopened box... Flawless....

Let me tell you I didn't pay anywhere near retail.... and 99 paid even less then I did.
Nothing wrong with saving some money in this hobby...

BTW 99, you need to post up some pics here bro...
post #9 of 10 Old 10-11-2008, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Did you buy the speakers I was going to bid on warp?! If you did, they were a sweet deal.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-12-2008, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
No, I got my Rosewood S4's about a year ago.... but I was talking to 99 through the deal, he lives very close to the seller, so the whole shipping for both the buyer and the seller made it even a sweeter deal for him...

Congrats again 99.....
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page