Wilson-Benesch Owner’s/Admirer’s Circle - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-07-2012, 06:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Andy,
Thanks for the help here. Just thought I would chip in my bit.

The Curve and ACT have the following in common. They have exactly the same carbon fibre composite construction / drive units / Xover design / internal wire

The key differences are:-

The A.C.T. has a much more complex top that is angled at 20 degrees. (Wilson Benesch accredited with this innovation)
The internal bracing is made from much thicker steel
The front baffle is much more complex and made up of multiple materials that are visco-elastically bonded to one another to create a lot of mutual self damping
The Curve exhibits a 1 to 2 dB higher output in bass around 40 to 50 Hertz which many people enjoy even though it is less accurate than the A.C.T.
They are both extremely easy to drive and have no filter on the mid range drive unit so the transient response is limited only by the drive units capabilities and the Tactic is no slouch! See Wilson Benesch TV for information on the drive unit and other animations.

As for Dealers in the USA. We have a small group of very passionate and enthusiastic dealers who have remained loyal to us since we parted company.

I hope that this is helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2012, 06:37 AM

Hi all,

Just purchased the WB Vectors. They will need some time to break in I guess, as they sound quite different to the demoset at the dealer.

Anyway, I'm planning to upgrade my amp now. Tubes will be difficult, the amp will be on all day. Or maybe just a pre-amp with tubes will work and last for a couple of years.
I prefer a bit stronger bass performance. Any recommendations?
Old 09-13-2012, 02:29 PM

I've tried several ( linn, Marantz, Octave, VTL, Resolution Audio) amp's on my Trinity's, but only Audionet is the amp I'm completely happy with. Lot's of pressure and drive, sheer power and full spectrum - i believe they go to 1000000hz. WB was/is the distributor of those amps.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:42 AM

Liked: 11
I have been using a pair of Vector driven by a Devialet D-Premier (later upgraded to D240 standards) and it is a combination made in heaven.

I am listening to Keith Jarett Koln concert in high res version playing through wifi as I type this... And realize that I may in fact never have heard anything as good elsewhere, whatever the price point (think a lot more).

Cheers,
Bernard

Last edited by bernardlang; 10-28-2014 at 11:01 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Hi WB owners -

I just heard the Arcs for the first time and came away pretty impressed with their realism. The dealer will be getting Vectors and Vertex in a couple weeks which I will check out as well.

Can anyone chime in regarding your recent experience with Geometry range and comparisons to the older Odyssey range?

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2014, 02:05 PM

The Vector/vertex are in a whole othe range then the Arc, although the signature is the same. Both the vector/vertex own the new tweeter, and are thus more full range and if i may say less neutral ( in a positiv way) in comparision to the Arc, which i happily owned.

I'ts a good idea though to try the discovery or trinity , I prefer them both with regard to the vertex; and they can be bought for less
Old 02-19-2014, 06:21 PM

Thanks zegel.

When you say the Vector/Vertex are "less neutral", can you clarify? I'm looking for neutral or slightly warm. Unfortunately I don't think I can hear the Discovery or Trinity, only the Arc, Vertex, and Vector.

I gather you have the Trinity and are pleased with it? How is it better than the Arc? Ultimately I'm looking for more of a full-ranger, so the Curve, ACT, and Vector are probably where I would end up if I go with WB. Thoughts on these?
Old 02-20-2014, 01:25 PM

Hello yyz67, I'm not that good in describing what I hear, but less neutral is ment positive; as the new speakers have a less lean sound signature, and are more lively. I cannot say they sound warm, but at least warmer then the Arc. Good matching with speaker cables of course can make a big difference in sound. In Holland, the Arc was positively revieuwed with Nordost Red Dawn2, but to my ears this was unbearable as over neutral and liveless. The Chord Signature, what I have now was an enormous improvement.

I'm very pleased with the Trinity, i used in combination with two torus infrasonic generators. I cannot comment on the full range speakers as I have not heard them; I'm a believer in the managability of a speaker-sub system - and do not believe a full range speaker can generate the same fast and deep bass a torus can. However, I'm anxious to hear the new Square 5
Old 02-20-2014, 02:24 PM

Thanks. On Agon there's a floor model Trinity for $8400 (and an ACT for $10,000). So that's still a lot for a stand mount... but I haven't heard it.

Impressive that you have two Tori. Did you start with one and then get another? For integration, do you place them near your mains or the same distance from your listening position as your mains?
Old 02-25-2014, 01:18 AM

Yes, started with one, and could buy another one a few months ago. I placed them near my Trinity's as WB suggests in their Torus manual. With my Audionet DNP ( a 2.2 preamp with room corection and bass management) I was able to integrate the whole seamless, and am a happy man.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I saw the thread topic and thought: "Hey, maybe I'll see posts about the WB Circle turntable!" I bought one off eBay in 2011 but have yet to put it in service, though it's a beauty.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:31 AM

Liked: 0
Hi all,
First post but have used this fantastic resource for some time.

Just thought Id ask about the Vector. For a speaker that has been out for some time now it really hasnt garnered much press coverage.

Was hoping to get some owner feedback or even anyone who has listened to them.

Thanks in advance

Bob
Old 10-19-2015, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi all,

Another long-time lurker, new poster on this thread. Want to keep it alive and active - I'm a Wilson Benesch Arc owner, absolutely love them. Hope I can contribute to the board and keep it going.

Eric
Old 11-20-2015, 08:28 AM

I have a question and hope current/former WB owners can chime in. As mentioned in a previous post, I have the Arcs, and love them. They're in a 10x11 room, and they work beautifully. They are well balanced, nice low-end reinforcement from the room dimensions, and the highs are very airy as if I'm listening in a concert hall. I have a living room also, which is larger, and can handle larger speakers.

I'm also what you'd call a "speaker collector"...some guys collect headphones, some collect watches, my thing is speakers. I love trying new designs, new materials, new configurations. That's why I bought the WB Arcs, I was going from the wooden-box of Proac to the carbon fiber and steel of the Arcs, just to see how I'd like it.

I so enjoyed the Arcs, and what happened when you remove the wooden box from the equation, that I continued the journey and picked up a set of BMC PureVOX, made from extruded aluminum, an absolutely superb speaker that should cost more than it does but flies under the radar due to a limited distribution network. Between the Arcs and the PureVOX, I don't know that I would ever go back to a wooden box style of speaker. I really like how the metal cabinets change the sound signature.

I'm trying to figure out what my next WB speaker should be (and I'm not selling the Arcs). I had a chance to pick up a set of Vertex locally, and passed because I wasn't sure the difference between the Arc and Vertex would be big enough or if it was just very much a lateral move. I still kick myself over letting those Vertex get away, but figure somewhere along the line something else will pop up. I do like how monitors disappear when setup properly, but I'm not against floor standers and would gladly consider the Vectors.

- is the Vertex too lateral a move?
- would finding a used set of Trinity be a nice change from the Arc, or also too lateral?
- are the Discoveries too much for a 10x11 room?
- is the Vector really the best upgrade, coming from the Arcs?

I know this is a tough question, in that I'm not unhappy at all with the Arcs, so it's not about finding more bass, or more air, etc. But it's also an easy question in that I'm doing this for fun, not because my current setup is disappointing, so it's not as if I'm trying to solve a problem. There's no problem - it's just about trying something new, something cool, that's different from what I already have, just for fun. Given what I already have, what would be a cool next thing to try from WB? (and no, I can't afford the Endeavors, at least not new!)

Thanks all!
Eric
Old 11-21-2015, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwares View Post
[...] I'm trying to figure out what my next WB speaker should be (and I'm not selling the Arcs). I had a chance to pick up a set of Vertex locally, and passed because I wasn't sure the difference between the Arc and Vertex would be big enough or if it was just very much a lateral move. I still kick myself over letting those Vertex get away, but figure somewhere along the line something else will pop up. I do like how monitors disappear when setup properly, but I'm not against floor standers and would gladly consider the Vectors.

- is the Vertex too lateral a move?
- would finding a used set of Trinity be a nice change from the Arc, or also too lateral?
- are the Discoveries too much for a 10x11 room?
- is the Vector really the best upgrade, coming from the Arcs?

I know this is a tough question, in that I'm not unhappy at all with the Arcs, [...]
No experience with Trinity, nor Vector. If you mean the room is 10x11 feet, I think that's a serious concern for Discovery. Your best bet I'd say is indeed the Vertex. I owned a pair of those for a few years. Listened to the Arc extensively before that and still have chance to hear them from time to time. The two might look more or less the same but they really are not. The drivers are totally different. And the woofer/midrange on the Vertex is direct connect. There is nothing between them and your amp. In sound, the Vertex is much more refined, assuming your frontend is up to it. If you're happy with the Arc now, you won't be after the Vertex, seriously
Old 11-21-2015, 06:20 AM

Thanks for the response accwai. Yes, one of the two listening rooms available to me is 10x11, the other is about 16x17 with a half wall and nearby hallways so it's not a closed-in square.

I appreciate your input on the Vertex, and about not sticking the Discovery into the smaller room. Looking back at previous posts, I like how you explained the difference between the Arc and the Vertex, one being more impressionistic and the other more focused.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the response accwai. Yes, one of the two listening rooms available to me is 10x11, the other is about 16x17 with a half wall and nearby hallways so it's not a closed-in square.

I appreciate your input on the Vertex, and about not sticking the Discovery into the smaller room. [...]
You're very welcome

By the way, 10x11 is small even for Arc/Vertex I think. If you have a conventional setup with center line parallel to the walls, you don't have much room to leave space at the back, which I personally think is quite important. You might want to try diagonal placement. It's point 85 in Jim Smith's Get Better Sound:

Quote:
In general, when a room has square or nearly square dimensions, I find the 45-degree technique is my escape from bad sound, as defined by uneven bass.
And the longer center line would allow you to leave more space at the back. Fix two problems in one go. Worth a try perhaps...
Old 11-22-2015, 10:44 AM

A diagonal orientation won't be possible, Accwai. It's also my business office, and the furniture dictates a traditional layout. But my listening distance is short, around 6', so it's near-field listening and that seems to work very nicely. I've had challenging rooms before, and I understand what it means to have a bad layout and poor acoustic result, but luckily my 10'x11' office has produced very nice results with the Arcs. Of course, it's easy to overload the room quickly with too much volume, but at 75 decibels and 6' distance it sounds wonderful.

I don't think the Vertex would be too large...I once got to hear the Vertex and Arc side by side at a dealer, but for only about 5 minutes. But in that 5 minutes, I didn't get the impression that the Vertex was a big enough change to require a larger listening room. It wasn't a long-enough session to truly discover the differences between the speakers, or understand the improvements, but it was long enough that the Vertex didn't scare me away from it in terms of being too overpowering for my space.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
[...] I don't think the Vertex would be too large...I once got to hear the Vertex and Arc side by side at a dealer, but for only about 5 minutes. But in that 5 minutes, I didn't get the impression that the Vertex was a big enough change to require a larger listening room. [...]
Ok, rephrase: 10x11 might be on the small side for Arc/Vertex. More room would allow them to breath. But they are quite linear. So if you're happy with the room size and layout, that's the most important thing.

There is certainly not much difference between Arc and Vertex in their ability to drive a room. When I still had the Vertex, they occupy one end of a 12.5'x24' room with listening position's 13' from the front wall. At the local WB dealer, there is a room with Arc/Square 2 on one side and Discovery on the other. I'd say the room's around 16x24, with listening position in the middle. The Arc is quite comfortable there. He also has another room that's around the same size that usually has a pair of ACT. But at the moment, there is a pair of Bishop there. That's the Chimera's predecessor. Interesting experience.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:23 PM

I completely agree accwai - I wish my listening room were closer to 14x16 or thereabouts. I have no doubt the Arcs would sound even better, and have more room away from the walls, if I had more room to work with. The other side of the coin is that with the smaller room there's some boundary reinforcement of lower frequencies, which makes the Arcs seem warmer and more full range than they actually are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

taboola here