post #181 of 461 Old 04-06-2009, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddious View Post

I was given a pair of Wilson-Benesch ARC speakers by my uncle. I don't really have a great front-end to push them with, nor any more money to set aside for a 2-ch system. I am considering selling them. What would be a good asking price for a pair in MINT condition?

Most gear is going for 50-60% off of MSRP in the used market these days, so somewhere in the neighborhood of $2500 for the pair.

Or, $1 to Rydenfan. He's a great guy and would really appreciate them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 461 Old 04-06-2009, 06:47 PM

Liked: 10
I would counter Rydenfan's offer with an offer of $2. The Arcs are a lovely monitor. It would be too bad to have to part with them at all. That being said, I understand the need to move something when you simply have no room for it.

-Michael
post #183 of 461 Old 04-06-2009, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I'll go $3 plus shipping to CA.

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #184 of 461 Old 04-09-2009, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 210
OK 4.00 shipping and paypal fees included to NYC

DJoel
post #185 of 461 Old 04-09-2009, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Silly, silly boys.

And here I thought there was some actual activity on my lonely little thread.

post #186 of 461 Old 04-09-2009, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So you ended up keeping the WB Discovery's hifisponge, and your setup looks stunning

John
post #187 of 461 Old 04-09-2009, 04:13 PM

I'll go $8, plus pay for your gas to deliver them to Austin, plus I'll throw in another $2 for the hifisponge post, below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

Silly, silly boys.

And here I thought there was some actual activity on my lonely little thread.

post #188 of 461 Old 04-09-2009, 09:02 PM

Hah, sorry Tim. I didn't mean to get your hopes up. To make up for a deceiving post, I will now make a post about W-B. The ARCs are a great speaker and someone would be nuts not to go audition some if they could get a nice pair for $2500. I never made a post, but about a month after hearing the Discoveries, I went and auditioned the ARC. They are surprisingly close, IMO, to what the Discos bring to the table. I would say they are a tiny bit less refined sounding, though I might be making that up, lol. I do know they are missing that crazy bass of the Discovery. With a good sub most people would probably have a little trouble figuring which was which. A great box speaker by any standard. Too bad I am becoming a boxless fanboy.

For the record, to date the W-B house sound is one of my favorites. Natural, and neutral leaning to warm, full and lush. That being said I never found either speaker to obscure detail. They are highly musical and damned cool looking too. But still a box.

-Michael
post #189 of 461 Old 04-09-2009, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenamc View Post

Hah, sorry Tim. I didn't mean to get your hopes up. To make up for a deceiving post, I will now make a post about W-B. The ARCs are a great speaker and someone would be nuts not to go audition some if they could get a nice pair for $2500. I never made a post, but about a month after hearing the Discoveries, I went and auditioned the ARC. They are surprisingly close, IMO, to what the Discos bring to the table. I would say they are a tiny bit less refined sounding, though I might be making that up, lol. I do know they are missing that crazy bass of the Discovery. With a good sub most people would probably have a little trouble figuring which was which. A great box speaker by any standard. Too bad I am becoming a boxless fanboy.

For the record, to date the W-B house sound is one of my favorites. Natural, and neutral leaning to warm, full and lush. That being said I never found either speaker to obscure detail. They are highly musical and damned cool looking too. But still a box.

-Michael

Boxless fanboy. Ha! You are not the first. The other Michael tells me regularly that he would have a hard time going back. I think you need to modify your description to Active Boxless Fanboy though. The active part is just as if not more important than the boxless part.
post #190 of 461 Old 04-09-2009, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by recruit View Post

So you ended up keeping the WB Discovery's hifisponge, and your setup looks stunning

Yes, surprising but true. Any speaker that makes it past the two month mark is usually going to be good for me for at least a fews years.

Good to see you over on this side of the pond.
post #191 of 461 Old 04-09-2009, 09:52 PM

You're right about that. Active Boxless Fanboy it is then.

-Michael
post #192 of 461 Old 04-15-2009, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

A pair was just listed at A'gon...don't know anything about them, but they caught my eye because Tim is a frequent contributor to the Dali thread.

Here's a link...

Jason

Custom Built For The Win!
post #193 of 461 Old 04-15-2009, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey Jason -

Bummer that the guy banged on of them up during packing. I think his price is too high considering. Its a great little speaker though, and one that I think would give something like the Dynaudio C1 a run for its money.
post #194 of 461 Old 04-15-2009, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep...I dunno how heavy those suckers are, but 20" can be a helluva fall for anything with some heft and hard corners...

You still hooked on your W-B's or have you moved on to see what's on the other side...

Jason

post #195 of 461 Old 04-15-2009, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonColeman View Post

Yep...I dunno how heavy those suckers are, but 20" can be a helluva fall for anything with some heft and hard corners...

You still hooked on your W-B's or have you moved on to see what's on the other side...

Jason

Yup, happy as a cat in a milkbath, a geek at bandcamp, a sex addict with a free days pass to the bunny ranch. . .

OK, that last one may have crossed the funny line.

Now it's all about building my music library.

The Dali's still treatin' you well? Of course they are, what am I asking?
post #196 of 461 Old 04-15-2009, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now it's all about building my music library.

CDs? What kind of stuff? PM if you'd like to peruse my collection...I'm still in the process of ripping all 1,400 or so of mine lossless to my 2TB music server...
Quote:

The Dali's still treatin' you well? Of course they are, what am I asking?

Yeah...I'm in love. No regrets whatsoever, especially considering the absurd deal I got on my Euphonias. My only problem is that I wish I had more time to enjoy them...my 4-year-old son and 5-week-old daughter get most of my attention these days. However, we've always got music on so I'm not missing out on too much.

Okay, enough hijack of your thread...good to see you!

Jason

post #197 of 461 Old 04-15-2009, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonColeman View Post

CDs? What kind of stuff? PM if you'd like to peruse my collection...I'm still in the process of ripping all 1,400 or so of mine lossless to my 2TB music server...

Yeah...I'm in love. No regrets whatsoever, especially considering the absurd deal I got on my Euphonias. My only problem is that I wish I had more time to enjoy them...my 4-year-old son and 5-week-old daughter get most of my attention these days. However, we've always got music on so I'm not missing out on too much.

Okay, enough hijack of your thread...good to see you!

Jason

I have no children, and I don't get nearly the use out of my system that I'd like to. I only get some low level listening in after my wife goes to sleep and some rowdy time when she has a night out with the girls.

Good to "see" you too.
post #198 of 461 Old 07-04-2009, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've been digging around trying to find decent a pic of WB's newest floorstander-- the C60, but this has been a very elusive speaker. WB doesn't even have a pic of it on their web site. The C60 looks a lot like the ACT speaker, but it sports a super-tweeter, and improved motor system for the mid/bass drivers and a cabinet made of nanotube carbon fiber.

Here ya go.

http://www.wilson-benesch.com/C60download.pdf
post #199 of 461 Old 07-07-2009, 04:13 PM

I will post my thoughts tomorrow of the best "normal" speaker i ever heard - The Curve.

Now I'm of to bed - great thread sponge!
post #200 of 461 Old 07-07-2009, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

SWE -

Looking forward to reading your impressions and what you compared them to.

You must be in the UK if this is your bedtime, eh?
post #201 of 461 Old 07-08-2009, 03:28 PM

Alrighty, i wanted to start with saying hifisponge that i read your thread about your long search for THE speakers - and it was fun to read your thoughts, since i listened to most of those speakers myself. So before talking about the Curves I wanted to give you a background of what i previously listened to and what i compare the Curves with.

At first my journey started since i wanted to invest in better speakers. I started as i guess most people do, by visiting a couple of hifi-stores (with a couple of CDs under my arm) and went trough what they had to offer, speaker and amplifier wise.

I live in Stockholm (Sweden) and we are lucky to actually have alot of good hifi-stores. One place is called Hifiklubben and they have many good brands: Denon, NAD, Cambridge, Dali and B&W, this is where it started for me (and many other Swedish ppl). I will be namedropping speakers i listened to during the last couple of years and short comments of how i (as far as i can recall) liked the sound. I guess the speaker flora could be somewhat different here i EU than in the US, but you guys can use google can't you (if you are curious what speaker I'm talking about)?

B&W 804S (NAD M3) - they were good, but too laid back, the magic never really happened. It could have been the room, but the bass was not what i wanted either.

Dali Helicon 400 MK2
(NAD M3) - Great speakers, i really like what Dali has done with the dome/ribbon combo - sounds great - especially womens voices. The looks really help too, the one thing i was missing, was the ability to move some more air and really get that punch in the chest-area.

Dynaudio Sapphire (Ayre unknown model of amp) - wow what a speaker, costly yes, and sorry to say not that good looking either. But the lower tones are terrficaly carved out with alot of structure and details, combined with a great tweeter, this is my number #2 all time favourite - only surpassed by the Curves (coming to them later).

MBL 101e(MBL:s own mono-block amplifiers)- This is really not a normal speaker, this is a monument, looking like something in a sci-fi movie. But man what a soundstage and dynamic these speakers put on. The special tweeter, midrange construction shoots sounds in all directions, creating a sense of you beeing wrapped around by music. This combined with a bass-element capable of producing sounds straight down to 20 Hz - this is as good as it gets. But this is not a normal speaker, that you put in a living room, therefore, in my book - the MBL101e does not count. But still they are the best speakers i have ever heard.

Focal Grande Utopia EM
(Bridge Audio Lab, BP-1 MK II)- I actually, for the first time, was a bit afraid siting in the sofa with these to staring at me, waiting for the music to start playing. It felt like, if the guys cranking up the volume did something wrong, i probably would blow away. It was a cool experince, but Focals sound is not for me, it's a little bit like B&W, sounds too correct, too boring for me. I actually did not even think they sounded closely as good as they "should have"

Monitor Audio PL-300 (First time unkown amp, second Bladelius Ymer + Bladelius pre) - Ok i dont know if the amps i listened both are a catastrophic match (highly unlikely), but i feel i have a totaly different opionion than other persons about these speakers. The lower frequencies are fantastic - love them. But the ribbon tweeter - yeeez - it's so bright! Some people complaining about Dali speakers being overly bright - it's like silk compared to these guys. The ribbon is really something, it brings out so much details you cant almost believe it, more than even Martin Logan, but it gets so sharp on high volumes, you cant almost bear the sound - a complete no no for me to buy.

Martin Logan CLX
(Dont remember amp) - Same thing here, they did not sound closely too their price. The sounds was amazingly large yes, and extremly crispy and detailed, but it was like the worlds largest satelite speaker, since it couldn't even produce sounds below 45Hz or so. Ok add a subwoofer or two you say, yeah maybe so, but the speaker itself did not sound all that great.

Heil Kithara (Do not remember amp) - a ugly little son of a bitch, having the original A.M.T. drivers for highs and mid - and i have to say i really like it! If looks is of no importence to you, you would have a hard time finding better value for your money than the Kitharas - simply fantastic speakers.

B&W 802D (Classé Delta CA-5200 + Classe preamp) - Great highs and mids, once again i did not like the bass (could be room problems again). Sorry to say B&W are great, but they really don't do it for me, somekind of joy and magic in the music is missing, i think it's too correct for me or something

TAD Reference One (Krells new standing amps) - I got a great demo of these. Amazing speakers, The bass is fantastic and the midrange and highs are flawless - the speakers is in size so it's almost possible to have it in a living room - but it better be a big room . The price though is trough the roof and i don't count these speaker as a "normal" speaker. It's up there with the MBL and Focal Utopias and such. And with that competition they fall short to the MBL:s, who has something more to offer than a speaker that looks like speakers usally do (just bigger).

Dali Mentor 8 (NAD M15 + M25) - This is the setup i own, so maybe no huge suprise that i really like this setup They sound has the same caracter as in the Helicon 400, but with the difference that they got some real punch with the double 8" bass-elements. It's not the perfect speaker, it can get overly bright sometimes, and they dont really like bad recordings. But in it's pricerange (which was the pricerange i was able to afford) they are really hard to beat. Only one i listened to, maybe doing so is the Kitharas. It's a close call

Alright, i listened to many other speakers as well, but i wrote all this to show you i aint the guys who listened to a speaker or two and just happened to bump into a pair of WB:s. In my opionion the Wilson Benesch speakers are truly great, compared to very many of the greatest speakers out there.

Now it's too late too keep writing, so sorry it will have to wait a day or two more, two give you a little story about my meeting with the Curves.
post #202 of 461 Old 07-08-2009, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Oh...what a tease, RobRoy. Nice journey. More please...and soon.

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #203 of 461 Old 07-08-2009, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

RobRoy -

Great set-up to the big reveal!

I still don't think the brightness you heard from the MA Platinums was from the tweeter. I placed a towel over the tweeters in the PL300's when I owned them and the harshness was still there, indicating that the midrange drive was at fault.

TAD was supposed to come out with a stand mount speaker based on the same tech as the "Ref One", but it still hasn't made it into production.

http://blog.stereophile.com/ces2008/011208tad/

I love the Dali Helicon line too. That hybrid ribbon/dome tweeter module produced some of the sweetest, most extended treble I've heard. I don't hear the brightness that some complain of with those speakers. If they would have made the Helicon line in gloss black or a wenge (brown) finish, I'd probably own them.

Some audiophiles recoil at the mention of using an EQ, but I can't live without one. I'm sure that you could take the edge off of your Mentor's with a little targeted EQ.
post #204 of 461 Old 07-09-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:

RobRoy -

Great set-up to the big reveal!

I still don't think the brightness you heard from the MA Platinums was from the tweeter. I placed a towel over the tweeters in the PL300's when I owned them and the harshness was still there, indicating that the midrange drive was at fault.

TAD was supposed to come out with a stand mount speaker based on the same tech as the "Ref One", but it still hasn't made it into production.

http://blog.stereophile.com/ces2008/011208tad/

I love the Dali Helicon line too. That hybrid ribbon/dome tweeter module produced some of the sweetest, most extended treble I've heard. I don't hear the brightness that some complain of with those speakers. If they would have made the Helicon line in gloss black or a wenge (brown) finish, I'd probably own them.

Some audiophiles recoil at the mention of using an EQ, but I can't live without one. I'm sure that you could take the edge off of your Mentor's with a little targeted EQ.

Thanks

Ok, well yeah i listened to them the first time and could not believe my ears afterwards (talking about pl-300), therefore i went to another shop and listened with different amplifiers, pretty much same thing there.

Ohh they havent? Because i listened to those too at the same audition, by just that man in your picture

They are like full-range speakers, nothing stand mount about them, anywhere.

But the 400 excists in a limited edition in black!

post #205 of 461 Old 07-09-2009, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWE_RobRoy View Post

But the 400 excists in a limited edition in black!

Yes, I know about the limited edition Heli 400's, but I run a dual purpose system and would need a matching center and surrounds.
post #206 of 461 Old 07-09-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:

Yes, I know about the limited edition Heli 400's, but I run a dual purpose system and would need a matching center and surrounds.

Yes, that's true. Didn't think of that.

But on the other hand i'm not really such a big fan about that the other speakers need to be of the same series as the fronts. It's nice if the center is, but surround - really not necessary. Same thing with subwoofer.
post #207 of 461 Old 07-09-2009, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWE_RobRoy View Post

Yes, that's true. Didn't think of that.

But on the other hand i'm not really such a big fan about that the other speakers need to be of the same series as the fronts. It's nice if the center is, but surround - really not necessary. Same thing with subwoofer.

I'm just the opposite. I think that if you are going to do multichannel, the only way to create a cohesive surround scape is to have matching speakers all around, or at the very least that they all be in the same product line from the same manufacturer. On top of that, EQ is also needed to take some of the effect of the room out of the sound caused by having each speaker in a different physical space. Though I agree on the subwoofer since you don't need to match the tonality of the sub to the other speakers.
post #208 of 461 Old 07-09-2009, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Have to agree with Tim here, but that is only IF one is looking to do Multichannel music, if that is not a requirement and 2 channel audio is mainly used, then the surrounds need not be matched IMO, but it is nice... The Center matching the mains is a ABSOLUTELY NEEDS TO MATCH scenario....

For movies, the surrounds are less important for the minimal or at least reduced amount of material present.... I recently added a single Infinity Classia dual channel speaker for rear surrounds for my difficult room and I find it sounds spectacular back there.... I don't have a normal layout so I needed something compact that will give me 2 separate channels from the same speaker, worked like a charm.... More then thrilled with it matching my Paradigm Studio's...
post #209 of 461 Old 07-09-2009, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK, so I will concede that for movies, using different surrounds is a workable compromise, but it is something that I would never, ever do.

When you are the obsessive / compulsive type, like me, it is imperitive that everything match, even for movies. And if I were in your shoes, I'd find a way to get some Paradigm's for surround duty, even if that meant tearing down some walls to make it happen.

On a serious note, have you considered the little Signature S1's for the rears? They seem small enough that you could fit them in the tight space you have to work with. Or the Millenia series? They are pretty compact.

I'm sure that we've talked about this before, but I'm just sayin' . . .
post #210 of 461 Old 07-09-2009, 06:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

OK, so I will concede that for movies, using different surrounds is a workable compromise, but it is something that I would never, ever do.

When you are the obsessive / compulsive type, like me, it is imperitive that everything match, even for movies.

Haha - I think there are more of us that fit that description than we'd like to admit. Notice I said "us."

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page