Wilson-Benesch Owner’s/Admirer’s Circle - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 461 Old 10-21-2008, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I figure I’ll get things started with a post about a speaker maker that doesn’t get a lot of play in the various AV enthusiast internet boards—“the other Wilson”, Wilson-Benesch speakers out of Sheffield, England.

It wouldn’t surprise me if this thread ends up being a circle of one for some time, but I hope that the other WB owners out there come here to share their experiences with their speakers. And it would be just as good to get a few posts, good or bad, from people that have heard them while speaker shopping.

Below are a few of pics of my system.

For those of you unfamiliar with WB, their claim to fame is their curved carbon fiber cabinets. Their thinking is that carbon fiber is a better solution for a speaker cabinet than the MDF typically used because of its inherent strength and non-resonant characteristics. WB also states that the velocity of sound through carbon fiber is 6 times higher than MDF, but frankly I don't know what that means, or how it affects sound quality, I just know that I like the sound of the speakers overall.

10/22 Edit: I dug up a little more info on carbon fiber and why it possibly one of the better materials to use for a speaker cabinet.

"The design goal at Wilson benesch has been to build speaker cabinets that would convince listeners that acoustically the cabinet would be invisible. To the engineers at Wilson benesch the solution was clear. Using Carbon Fiber to build cabinets delivered on that promise. With Carbon Fiber as the rear waves hit the inside of the cabinet they are almost instantly absorbed, bouncing around the billions and billions of carbon molecules and quickly transformed to heat. This happens because sound travels through carbon fiber at 18350 meters per second, much faster than wood were the speed is only 3300 meters per second. "

VELOCITY OF SOUND IN METRES PER SECOND:
RUBBER 40
CORK 400
LEAD 1158
WATER 1433
ACRYLIC 2680
CONCRETE 3200
GOLD 3240
WOOD 3300
BRASS 3475
COPPER 3900
HARDWOOD 3960
GLASS 3962
BRICK 4176
ALUMINIUM 4877
IRON 5130
PYREX 5640
STEEL 6100
DIAMOND 12000
CARBON FIBRE 18350

All of their speakers use custom in-house 7” mid-bass drivers, a modified Scan Speak Revelator silk dome tweeter, an unusually high cross-over point of 5KHz between them, with a shallow slope on the woof and a second order slope for the high-pass to the tweet.

Wilson-Benesch “Tactic” Driver

I’m not sure why, but WB has opted NOT to make the driver cone of the Tactic Driver from Carbon Fiber, instead using some special form of polypropylene that is woven in the core and heat bonded to two skins of thinner poly to strengthen it. The only comment I could find from the company on this decision is that the poly sandwich cone offers a better combination of stiffness and internal damping than carbon fiber would. I’m sure that could be debated, but I like the way the midrange sounds, so no argument from me.

10/31/08 update:
"The diaphragm material imparts its own character to the sound that is reproduced. A stiff material that is also self-damping is the ideal, but materials that exhibit this are very few. Carbon fibre is more like metal when produced in thin sections, as required for a small diaphragm. The audible character of such materials is evident in a more edgy presentation, that is often described as hard, and is always fatiguing. Kevlar and paper have definite benefits when compared to hard materials, but none of them compare to Isotactic Polypropylene."

(Performance measured on a scale of 1 to 10 where ten is good and 1 is poor.)

--------------------------------------------------Metal---Kevlar---Pulped Paper---Polypropylene---Isotactic Polypropylene
Specific Mass (Stiffness / Mass) -------------- 7 ------ 8 ---------- 6 --------------- 6 --------------------------- 8
Speed Of Sound Through Material ------------10 ----- 5 ---------- 6 ---------------- 6 --------------------------- 6
Level Of Self Damping -------------------------1 ------ 7 ---------- 8 ---------------- 7 ---------------------------10
Damping At The Molecular Level ------------- 0 ------ 0 ---------- 0 ---------------- 0 ----------------------------8
Woven Structure In Two Directions -----------x------Yes ---------x------------------x-----------------------------x
Woven Structure In Four Directions -----------x-------x------------x------------------x-------------------------- Yes
Total---------------------------------------------18----- 20 -------- 20 --------------- 19 --------------------------32

Well, enough tech talk, you are probably wondering what they sound like. But . . . before I go there, a quick description of how I came to even consider them is in order.

I’ve been a sub/stat guy for most of my audiophile career, but recently I got on this kick to get some largish floorstanding speakers, thinking that bigger speakers would give me a more effortless sound and a bigger sound all-around. It turns out, after listening to many of the top floorstanding speakers available, a big sound is not guaranteed and there are other factors involved as to how loud I like to listen (primarily the quality of the recording). I also found that many modern speakers simply sound too forward and “in your face” for me.

So I decided to go back to standmount speakers / subwoofer, while also seeking out speakers that were a little more forgiving but that didn’t suck all of the life out of the music.

I've known about Wilson-Benesch for a while and always wanted to hear them. It just so happened that a pair of Discoverys were up for sale on Audiogon. I bought them with the idea that if I didn’t like them, I would turn around and sell them at a slight loss. Well, like them I did, but unfortunately they were a bit more worn than the seller said they were, so I sent them back and ordered a new set from the local dealer. For the record, I was pretty much set on going with the Dynaudio C1's, but once I heard the WB Discovery's, I felt there was no longer the need to keep searching.

The Wilson-Benesch "Discovery" speaker is an unusual design that essentially takes the performance of a small floorstanding speaker and compacts it into a standmount design. WB affectionately refers to the Discovery as a "micro-floorstander". They actually managed to fit three 7” drivers into the space of a larger standmount speaker.

The first thing that really sucked me into the WB sound, was the massive soundstage they throw. In my room, it extends out beyond the left and right speaker by a couple of feet and while listening to some of my favorite tracks, I could literally “see” instruments playing two feet to the left of the left speaker. Good stuff.

10/26/08 update: Stumbled across a comment from Stereotimes that mirrors my experience with the Discovery's. "If you close your eyes you would think they are four times bigger than they look. The sound had body, bass extension and weight and the sound stage was as big as the Bishop's. Only the low frequencies had a little less resolution compared with the Bishop's, and this is perfectly understandable."

They also have a pleasingly relaxed yet detailed presentation. Singers are a little further back in the mix, but they strike just the right balance between giving depth to the presentation without sounding dark or dull. The Revelator tweeter has always been one of my favorite soft domes (that and the Dynaudio Esostar2) because of its “delicacy” and ability to convey the trailing edges and finer details of things like cymbals, chimes, and strings, without ever sounding etched, grainy or dry.

Lastly, the Discovery’s have surprisingly good bass for their size, and I mean really good. The bass doesn't extend as low as a larger floorstanding speaker, but what is there is punchy, dynamic and powerful. Larger speakers will play lower, but the where the Discovery’s leave off, should mate nicely with my JL sub.

I also had the opportunity to listen to the WB Centre speaker at the local dealer, and despite its small size (about 19 inches wide), it also throws out a sound much bigger than you would expect. I asked the dealer to play the Centre in mono so I could get a sense for its sound without the confusion of having the Discovery’s playing as well. I honestly had to ask the dealer to make sure that the both Disovery’s were disconnected and even when he said yes, I got up out of my seat to make sure. The sound was so big coming from this little center speaker, in mono, that I was sure that he had inadvertently left one of the other speakers connected. That's mighty cliche of me to say, but it really is true.

You’ll see in the link in my signature that I have gone through a lot of different speakers over the years, so it would be foolish of me to say that these will be the last speakers I own, but I’m sure hoping that they last at least a few years before I’m crazy enough to consider replacing them.

Reviews:
http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/w..._discovery.htm
http://www.dagogo.com/View-Article.asp?hArticle=235
http://www.stereophile.com/thefifthelement/493/
http://www.stereophile.com/thefifthelement/904fifth/
http://www.mediafire.com/?zuzwdg2qgz3
http://www.mediafire.com/?uxmlbmzjyja

10/31/08 update:
Hi-Fi News review of Discovery Loudspeaker
http://www.mediafire.com/?1yyzww5ijt3

Videos:
http://www.soundsrealaudio.com/video...ipping%201.mp4
http://uk.cinenow.com/videos/1942-wi...tuff-live-2008

The WB Line-up:

Wilson-Benesch Discovery

The Curve

The ACT

The ARC

The Trinity

Wide Bandwidth One Driver (used in Trinity and C60 only)

The Centre

The Chimera

The Torus (a subwoofer in case you couldn't tell )

Search terms: Wilson Benesch, Wilson-Benesch, WB speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 461 Old 10-21-2008, 01:15 AM

Liked: 10
Tim,

Cool that you started a thread for Wilson-Benesch. I have been spending some time tonight reading up on their tech, and I am impressed so far. I am quite excited about hearing them.

-Michael
post #3 of 461 Old 10-21-2008, 01:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenamc View Post

Tim,

Cool that you started a thread for Wilson-Benesch. I have been spending some time tonight reading up on their tech, and I am impressed so far. I am quite excited about hearing them.

-Michael

Good to see you Michael and thanks for christening my thread. If you get the chance, try to listen to the Discovery's or the ACT's. I've read mixed reviews on the Curves and ARCs, which baffles me because all of the WB speaker essentially use the same drivers, just in different configurations. I also find it strange to have read some user reviews that called the WB sound cool and bright. That is just about the complete opposite of my experience with them.
post #4 of 461 Old 10-21-2008, 02:08 AM
Advanced Member

Morning all
I think the reason for those cool or bright comments in review are due to the other equipment in the system, or even as you have noticed a more balanced mid-range.

The ACT is definitely more enjoyable than the Curves, but I loved both - listened to these on Chord Electronics gear - pre,amp,cd transport, dac.
For me these speakers work superbly with very detailed/fast solid state gear and are in my top 2 of speaker manus; Kef-WB, with B&W close behind.

And I must say the Curves and ACT are one of the most beautiful speakers I have ever seen, and importantly a small footprint compared to their competitors.
But I agree with Tim, the two to listen to would be the ACT (you may need to contact dealer as not all will have this in) and the Discovery.
Interestingly over here in the UK it is the Discovery that the dealers (two I know anyway) do not usually stock for demo.

And while these speakers seem reasonably rare, it is still a positive that you hardly ever see them 2nd hand for sale, here in the UK I only see these speakers for sale from the dealer network and they are mostly ex-demos.

Cheers
DT
post #5 of 461 Old 10-21-2008, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey DT -

Thanks for officially completing the circle.

It doesn't surprise me that the Discovery's are rare to see on demo. They are a rather unconventional speaker, and at $11,450 a pair, I think most feel there is more value to going with a floorstander like the Curves or the ACTs. But I love the unique design of the Disco's and I think it is that much more impressive to hear such a big, effortless sound coming from a relatively small set of speakers.

You need to get back out to the shop and take another listen to the WB's and report back here on your experience.
post #6 of 461 Old 10-21-2008, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Hehe I could not ignore this thread bud and glad your promoting the WBs

I am hoping to be able to go back and have another audition with the Kefs and WB in the next few months if finances allow me.
The good news it that as before I can compare these and my 803s all on the same Chord Electronics gear so it is an equal playing field through the whole system.
But I am not sure if it is more painful waiting for delivery of new speakers or the cash to go back and revisit my favourite speakers

Cheers
DT
post #7 of 461 Old 10-21-2008, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DulcetTones View Post

Hehe I could not ignore this thread bud and glad your promoting the WBs

I am hoping to be able to go back and have another audition with the Kefs and WB in the next few months if finances allow me.
The good news it that as before I can compare these and my 803s all on the same Chord Electronics gear so it is an equal playing field through the whole system.
But I am not sure if it is more painful waiting for delivery of new speakers or the cash to go back and revisit my favourite speakers

Cheers
DT

Well, if you just shift some of that money you spend on expensive gaming PC's and the MMORPG subscription services, you could probably have those new speaks sooner than later.

Even if you aren't in the market for new speaks right now, I'd still like to hear if you think the WB's are still in the running. So if you are in the area that your dealer is located, drop in and give them a listen. I'd like to hear what you think, good or bad. Besides, you need to listen to them now to give you the motivation to save up.

Oh, and that *is* very cool that your dealer runs them with the same front end that you own. It makes your comparison even more relevant.

It will be interesting to see how the WB's compare to the KEF's since the KEFs seem to be the speaker to beat right now. I have a feeling that they are two very different animals, but both good in there own right.
post #8 of 461 Old 10-21-2008, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Oh dont get me wrong WB are one of my two top favourite speakers, to put them on a par to the Kef reference is saying something bud

I would also put the 802d up there but I can tell there is the characteristic to these that does put some off, which is not noticed with the Kef reference or I would say the WB ACT.

BTW Tim your mailbox is full again
Edit:
Regarding dealers and the equipment, yeah I think I am pretty lucky with those that are around here in the UK as they are stunning in terms of the service and reference equipment they can provide.

Cheers
DT
post #9 of 461 Old 10-21-2008, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Tim, remember I have already heard both the WB and Kef (when they 1st came out), and both were on Chord Electronics back then.
I just need to revisit both to fully refresh my mind for a good comparison, and this time my priority will be the speakers instead of the Chord Electronics gear - which is why my funds were severely drained while taking time to refill and the equipment is comparable to their mid-reference setup

Well I am lucky that one of the dealers I buy from stocks the reference Kef,WB, and also Chord Electronics, while another I buy from also sells reference WB, MA, Sonus Faber, and again Chord Electronics - now these are dealers
The Chord gear really does fit well, or that is what they said with their Jedi mind tricks

Cheers
DT
post #10 of 461 Old 10-21-2008, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DulcetTones View Post

Tim, remember I have already heard both the WB and Kef (when they 1st came out), and both were on Chord Electronics back then.
I just need to revisit both to fully refresh my mind for a good comparison, and this time my priority will be the speakers instead of the Chord Electronics gear - which is why my funds were severely drained while taking time to refill and the equipment is comparable to their mid-reference setup

Well I am lucky that one of the dealers I buy from stocks the reference Kef,WB, and also Chord Electronics, now that is a dealer

As to when I will be going, ah sorry bud I still cannot see it being for at least 3-4 weeks even if my funds were sorted out tomorrow.

Cheers
DT

No worries mate. I'm just excited to hear from others that have compared the WB's to other speakers.

Speaking of, I know it was a while ago, but what was your impression of the two speakers back then? Nudge, nudge.
post #11 of 461 Old 10-21-2008, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Tim, you "need" this Chord amp to go with your WB's! I freakin love the looks of it. Too bad it is 25K...

DT, you have a PM
post #12 of 461 Old 10-21-2008, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Hey Tim. Great idea to start a thread. Nice initial write-up! Man, I hope these "do it" for you for at least a while! They sure do look great.

Just wanted to say hello.
Cheers,
Greg

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #13 of 461 Old 10-21-2008, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

Tim, you "need" this Chord amp to go with your WB's! I freakin love the looks of it. Too bad it is 25K...

DT, you have a PM

I think DulcetTones has that amp or a model very close to that one. The industrial design is something else on the Chord gear. I have a soft spot for CNC machined aluminum.

Though, I have to say that these aren't too shabby either.

And these:
post #14 of 461 Old 10-21-2008, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmonkey View Post

Hey Tim. Great idea to start a thread. Nice initial write-up! Man, I hope these "do it" for you for at least a while! They sure do look great.

Just wanted to say hello.
Cheers,
Greg

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to come back from time to time.
post #15 of 461 Old 10-21-2008, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
What is the pricing on the Arcs? They look absolutely stunning. I know a dealer in my city that sells the line but does not have any in his showroom. He used to have one of their older model towers but had a very hard time selling them because of the price. Where I live pretty much any speaker over $3k seems to be a very tough sale.
post #16 of 461 Old 10-21-2008, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I figured I would share a few more thoughts on the Wilson-Benesch speakers.

I'm not much into flowery prose when it comes to describing the sound of equipment, though having been in this hobby for quite a while, reading all of those reviews starts to rub off on you. There were certain words that kept popping into my head in regards to the midrange as I listened to the Discovery's.

Organic & Analog

I've already mentioned that I found the Discovery's to have a relaxed sound, with a nice sparkly top end and a dynamic and punchy bottom end. But to these ears, along with those qualities is a very natural, unforced quality through the midrange.

I think my wife said it best when I asked her to sit down and compare the sound of my previous speakers to the Discovery's. When I asked her which she liked more, initially she said they both sound good, just different. However, when it came to the human voice on a solo female vocalist track I played for her from the Dead Can Dance "Into the Labyrinth", she said the Discovery's made the singer sound "real" and "it's like she is in the room". Those words were like music to my ears. To me there is this sort of flowing, analog quality to the sound that I think my wife picked up on.

The Discovery's also appeal to the Rocker in me. I often like to listen at party levels, even when that is just a party of one while my wife is out with her friends. You can push these speakers to their limits with virtually no sense of strain, compression, aggressiveness or harshness. In other words, you can crank the crap out of them and they just keep getting better! OK, so they do lose some charm at background music levels, but that's a compromise I'm willing to live with since I don't listen critically at low volumes.

It's funny because most of my experience with the Discovery's is rather ironic. Here I was going after big speakers to get a big effortless sound, and it is only when I decided to give up on that, that I got these qualities from a set of stand-mount speakers. On top of that, I wanted state-of-the-art, up-to-the-minute technology, and I gave that up in favor of speakers that were designed in 2001 (the Discovery speaker design hasn't changed since they were first introduced in 2001).

That reminds me, Stereophile has done a number of side-bar style reviews on the various WB speakers, but I'm a bit surprised that they haven't done a more formal review with measurements. Well, for what it's worth, "What Hi-Fi", the UK's leading AV mag made a set of five WB Discovery's their reference system a few years ago, which says more than even the most glowing review. Those are a dime a dozen these days.

TIFN
post #17 of 461 Old 10-21-2008, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VectorLabs View Post

What is the pricing on the Arcs? They look absolutely stunning. I know a dealer in my city that sells the line but does not have any in his showroom. He used to have one of their older model towers but had a very hard time selling them because of the price. Where I live pretty much any speaker over $3k seems to be a very tough sale.

Hey VL -

Well, all of the WB speakers are handmade in England and those carbon fiber cabinets and custom drivers don't come cheap. I believe the little ARCs go for $5500 a pair with the required stands. The ARCs are bottom ported, so you need the special stands that WB makes in order for them to breath.

You could probably find a standmount speaker with similar sound quality to the ARCs for less money, but there is something special about the work that goes into them and the Pound to Dollar exchange rate pushes the price up.

The dealer here in Seattle is having the same trouble with higher priced standmount speakers, but then I think of the Dynaudio C1's that go for like $6500 a pair and they are one of the best selling speakers for Dyn.
post #18 of 461 Old 10-22-2008, 12:20 AM

Tim,

Hang in there just a bit more buddy, before you know, your new WB speakers will show up at your door steps..
BTW, what new toys have you got for your audio cabinet other than the FL112 sub??
I recall you were doing a complete make over for your front end equipments..just wondering how it's going..
Like Michael, I would be very interested in auditioning the WB speakers if I can ever find them here in SF area..

Michael,

I guess we are in the very similar situation as we like our MA GS setup but not totally in love with them..
I still feel there is something lacking from them and I can't quite pin point what's missing..
I have went to a few local shops and listened to a few different setups in the similar price range (around 6k for 5.0 total either after discount or from audiogon)
So far, my MA GS still seem to be most balanced, which lead me to think perhaps with the budget, it's not possible to find the perfect sound..
Now I am seriusly consider the idea of downgrading from GS to RS or something more modest for tv, gaming & movies..
Then use the rest of the budget on a pure 2.0 setup for music only in another room..
post #19 of 461 Old 10-22-2008, 12:50 AM
Advanced Member

Timi
Nice new thread! Awesome writeup, wishing you all the best with the new speakers!
Mark
post #20 of 461 Old 10-22-2008, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthinking View Post

Tim,

Like Michael, I would be very interested in auditioning the WB speakers if I can ever find them here in SF area..

Michael,

I guess we are in the very similar situation as we like our MA GS setup but not totally in love with them..
I still feel there is something lacking from them and I can't quite pin point what's missing..
I have went to a few local shops and listened to a few different setups in the similar price range (around 6k for 5.0 total either after discount or from audiogon)
So far, my MA GS still seem to be most balanced, which lead me to think perhaps with the budget, it's not possible to find the perfect sound..
Now I am seriusly consider the idea of downgrading from GS to RS or something more modest for tv, gaming & movies..
Then use the rest of the budget on a pure 2.0 setup for music only in another room..

Yeah, you will have trouble in that price point. One thing I had not considered was keeping a 5.0 setup and getting a separate 2 channel. That is something that I will start thinking on.
post #21 of 461 Old 10-22-2008, 02:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Tim,

Hang in there just a bit more buddy, before you know, your new WB speakers will show up at your door steps..
BTW, what new toys have you got for your audio cabinet other than the FL112 sub??
I recall you were doing a complete make over for your front end equipments..just wondering how it's going..
Like Michael, I would be very interested in auditioning the WB speakers if I can ever find them here in SF area....

First, you are in luck. One of the largest WB dealers in the US is in San Fran.

Audio Visions
http://www.audiovisionsf.com/?page=m...facturer_id=30

Next, here's the make-over to my front end.

It will all be coming out soon though, not to be replaced, but I have to install a new cooling system. These modern processors with fast 64bit chips run very hot, so an overhaul is in order.

Quote:

Michael,

You know, I have to say that I was happier overall with my Paradigm Signatures than the MA's. The MA's beat the Digms in transparency, but the Digms were easier to listen to. Now that you can get the smaller S6 that would make it easier on the pocket book when you know you are going to use a sub, and since the S6's have a dedicated midrange, I think you would gain some transparency that was missing from my S4's. I know the S8's I once owned had better midrange clarity. Worth a listen.
post #22 of 461 Old 10-22-2008, 02:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Carbonfiber? Isn't it better than polyp and thus the reason why Scanspeaks are so good?
post #23 of 461 Old 10-22-2008, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenamc View Post

Yeah, you will have trouble in that price point. One thing I had not considered was keeping a 5.0 setup and getting a separate 2 channel. That is something that I will start thinking on.

This is what I did and setup the 2-channel in a seperate room, this also gave me greater flexibility with room acoustic treatment as it did not matter so much if it was intrusive.
However, the trade-off is losing high quality surround music, which it looks like the next gen pros may be very good at - thats a nudge for Tim to compare 2-channel and surround once he has all the system in place

Cheers
DT
post #24 of 461 Old 10-22-2008, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda View Post

Carbonfiber? Isn't it better than polyp and thus the reason why Scanspeaks are so good?

The only company that uses a variant of carbon fiber for their driver cones that I know of is Magico, and even they use a polyp core to damp the resonances of the carbon fiber cone.

But according to WB, they have cooked up a special formula of polyp and used high-heat and pressure to make a sandwich cone that they feel is stiff enough and better damped than a carbon fiber cone.
post #25 of 461 Old 10-22-2008, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

You know, I have to say that I was happier overall with my Paradigm Signatures than the MA's. The MA's beat the Digms in transparency, but the Digms were easier to listen to. Now that you can get the smaller S6 that would make it easier on the pocket book when you know you are going to use a sub, and since the S6's have a dedicated midrange, I think you would gain some transparency that was missing from my S4's. I know the S8's I once owned had better midrange clarity. Worth a listen.

Very nice looking equipment additions you have made there Tim... Impressive and Sexy....

I agree with you on the Sigs... You can check out my review HERE
post #26 of 461 Old 10-22-2008, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Next, here's the make-over to my front end.

post #27 of 461 Old 10-22-2008, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I'm glad you started this thread. I've been interested in WB since they introduced their sub.

Quote:

The only company that uses a variant of carbon fiber for their driver cones that I know of is Magico, and even they use a polyp core to damp the resonances of the carbon fiber cone.

Check Reference 3A. They use a crossoverless carbonfiber 7" mid with a resister for their tweeter.

post #28 of 461 Old 10-22-2008, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichaelf View Post

I'm glad you started this thread. I've been interested in WB since they introduced their sub.

Check Reference 3A. They use a crossoverless carbonfiber 7" mid with a resister for their tweeter.

Good find. Funny thing is, the Ref 3A's also use the same tweeter as found in the WB line and WB uses a cross-overless mid in the Trinity. There are a lot of similarities in the design philosophies between these two companies.

The only thing that concerns me about the performance of the carbon fiber mid-driver in the Ref 3A is that it has a rather prominent peak in the midrange between 500 - 900Hz.

http://www.stereophile.com/standloud...3a/index4.html
post #29 of 461 Old 10-22-2008, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Vector -

The Classe stuff sure is purty ain't it?
post #30 of 461 Old 10-22-2008, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Vector -

The Classe stuff sure is purty ain't it?

It sure is. Your rack looks like it's part of a spaceship. Does your Classe processor support all of the new HD formats?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page