Speaker Placement - 7.1 Two Rows ..Help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-06-2008, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am currently in construction of a dedicated home theater. The room measures 23' by 16' with 10' ceiling. I plan on having two rows of seating with a counter behind the 2nd row. The back wall will be made up of a door, wetbar and components.

Here is where I need advice: With two rows of seats and setting up a 7.1 system, where should I put the surround speakers? I've attached three possibilities. Hopefully you can all let me know which would be best, or if I'm totally off the mark as well.

The column closest to the front will be empty. In the picture with three columns, the 2nd and 3rd will contain speakers. In the pictures with two columns, the only thing I can do is put the side speakers in the column by the seats, and then put in-ceiling speakers behind the 2nd row for the back channel.

Final question: I'm hoping to make the columns shallow so I want on-wall (not ported) or in wall speakers for the columns. DIPOLE OR DIRECT? Suggestions on what to use please!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-06-2008, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srubenst View Post

In the picture with three columns, the 2nd and 3rd will contain speakers. In the pictures with two columns, the only thing I can do is put the side speakers in the column by the seats, and then put in-ceiling speakers behind the 2nd row for the back channel.

I would not consider option 1; back surround speakers in a 7.1 system should be behind all listeners, not on the side wall. Placing the side surround speakers even with the rear row of seats (option 2), would be ideal for the rear row, and contain your 'sweet-spot', but be less effective for the front row. Placing them mid-way between the two rows of seating (as pictured in option 3) would be a bit of a trade-off for each row.

For back surround speakers, I think that in wall speakers mounted fairly high on the rear wall on either side of the alcove would be preferable to in-ceiling. If you do use in-ceilings, pick a model with angled drivers, like these Triad, not ones that fire straight down. In either case, you should try to locate them according to the 7.1 diagram here

Quote:
Originally Posted by srubenst View Post

DIPOLE OR DIRECT? Suggestions on what to use please!!

That's another philisophical debate which gets argued regularly; My preference is for dipoles for the sides surrounds, direct for the back surrounds.

In any case, it looks to be a nice room; what gear are you planning to put in there?

W. Lee Hendrick
post #3 of 3 Old 11-06-2008, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. So, what you're suggesting is to use option 2, or maybe even a little farther back? If I used a dipole speaker that was "pointing" directly forward, and direct forward, that it would cover both rows, no? Also, thanks for the Triad link. I really like the in ceiling speaker version.
As far as the other equipment, I've been reading SO much good stuff about the SVS subs that I think I'm going to try two SVS Subs in the front corners, with the MTS Towers for the front left and rights, with their SCS-01 as my center channel. I have a planned a shelf above the screen, below the soffit, to angle the center speaker down to the listening area (thoughts)? SVS has surround speakers, but they are too big for the size of columns I want to hide them in. I may go with the Triad speakers? They look pretty good!

For the receiver? Probably a Denon or something like that (suggestions welcome). Not sure if I'll need separate amps, but can always add them in later if I get a receiver that's expandable.

Since I'm thinking about a 120 diag screen with the 1st row only about 11' back, I will probably need a decent pj. Maybe a JVC, or when I was at the audioholics trade show, I saw an Epson coming out in December that looked pretty good. Budget for the pj is probably around 8k (suggestions?)

Still al little confused about the speaker placement...but hopefully this thread will get me there.

Thanks!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page