Need opinions about the Focal 826V and the B&W 683's - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 11-09-2008, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello guys. I thought I for sure had my floor standing speakers picked out and was going to go with the B&W 683's, until I found a store that has the Focal 826V's for 40% off.

The Focals are supposed to cost well more than the B&W's but with this sale the prices are pretty much identical now. Music wise I am pretty sure I like the sound of the B&W's better, but its pretty close.

So it comes down to Home Theatre. I was explained that the B&W are mainly music speakers and do not do GREAT with HT which kinda surprised me and was told that the Focals would do better for HT. Is this true???

About 50% of my listening is going to be music while the other 50% will be HT. What do you guys think about the B&W 683's and the Focal Chorus 826V's?????

Help me out!!! Thanks in advance guys : )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-10-2008, 04:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Who explained it to you, the person trying to sell you the Focals? If the B&W's sound better to you, get those - if the Focals sound better, get those. Just remember, which ever you decide to go with you will have to match the center. Is the Focal center on sale as well? Just because the Focal's are now on sale doesn't mean they are a better value for you. The better value for you (even if the Focals were not on sale) would be the speaker that sounds better.

Keep in mind, music is much more difficult for speakers to reproduce than movies. So, if the B&W's sound better for music, chances are they will sound better for HT as well.
post #3 of 12 Old 11-10-2008, 04:24 AM
AVS Special Member

ignore anyone who says one speaker is for ht and another for music---a good speaker will reproduce what is on the disk (this is the definition of high fidelity) whether a cd, sacd, blu ray or dvd. both options are great and both can sound great for wither ht or music. whichever your ears like better are the ones you should buy period.
post #4 of 12 Old 11-10-2008, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

I like the B&W's better when I was listening to my CD collection, but I did not have the opportunity to test the B&W's in a HT situation. I really did not understand why a speaker would sound better for HT than a speaker that sounded musically better.

All of the focal speakers are on sale including the center, and surrounds. Personally, I think I am going to go with the B&W's because it seems as if the discount is playing into the decision which it should not espeically since the B&W's sound better and would still be a bit cheaper! I guess I just got all hyped up when I found out I could get some $2,000+ speakers for well under $1,500.
post #5 of 12 Old 11-10-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elonheater View Post

I like the B&W's better when I was listening to my CD collection, but I did not have the opportunity to test the B&W's in a HT situation. I really did not understand why a speaker would sound better for HT than a speaker that sounded musically better.

All of the focal speakers are on sale including the center, and surrounds. Personally, I think I am going to go with the B&W's because it seems as if the discount is playing into the decision which it should not espeically since the B&W's sound better and would still be a bit cheaper! I guess I just got all hyped up when I found out I could get some $2,000+ speakers for well under $1,500.

The dealer may have been telling the truth about the 683's being better for music due to the poor performance of the center channel in the 68x series.
You owe it to yourself to hear the complete B&W system in HT before buying. Else be sure you can return if not satisfied.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-11-2008, 01:12 AM

Quote:

...I really did not understand why a speaker would sound better for HT than a speaker that sounded musically better...

Yeah, I never understood that either. If the speakers don't sound good for music, they certainly won't sound better for HT. Then again, HT seems to be mainly about dynamics and not necessarily sound quality, in many people's eyes, it seems.

Quote:

...Personally, I think I am going to go with the B&W's because it seems as if the discount is playing into the decision which it should not espeically since the B&W's sound better...

If the B&Ws sound better to you, go with them.

I never heard the 683, but I did get a chance to listen to the 702 and the Focal 826. My friend and I both thought the Focal was just a much better sounding speaker than the B&W. Now, we didn't look closely at potential room acoustic issues, but the sound of the B&W was just too bright and lacked any bass, when compared to the Focal.

However, the B&W (and just about anything else) looks a whole lot better than the Focal 826, IMHO... which is saying a lot, since I've never been a fan of the B&W look
post #7 of 12 Old 11-11-2008, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

WOW!! I thought the totally opposite!!! I thought that the Focals did not have the bass that the B&W did and thought that the Focals were SLIGHTLY....very slightly brighter than the B&Ws!!!

Thats amazing that somebody can hear the complete opposite! Is it possible that my taste is completely contorted or do I have some hearing problems!!?? Now, I'm convienced that I am going to have to BUY the B&W's and bring them into the store that has the Focals and play them side by side.... it seems as if this is the ONLY solution. More fun for me I supposed
post #8 of 12 Old 11-11-2008, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

My two cents. I just spent the better part of the last 2 months listening to the Focal 726v and the B&W 683 and the Paradigm studio 60 and the Revel F12. I had it down to the Focals and the B&W's. I liked the B&W's just a little more. And i hated the fact that you couldn't bi-amp the Focal's. The Focal dealer told me that the Only real difference between the 726 and 826 was the Fit and Finish. They use the same driver's. Ya, the 826's might be worth more money......but it has nothing to do with the components on the inside. So i bought the B&W's and i couldn't be happier. Try and close your eye's when your listening....... it will be much easier to decide which one you like better.

If Jack Bauer were gay, he would be Chuck Norris
post #9 of 12 Old 11-11-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:

WOW!! I thought the totally opposite!!! I thought that the Focals did not have the bass that the B&W did and thought that the Focals were SLIGHTLY....very slightly brighter than the B&Ws!!!

Thats amazing that somebody can hear the complete opposite! Is it possible that my taste is completely contorted or do I have some hearing problems!!?? Now, I'm convienced that I am going to have to BUY the B&W's and bring them into the store that has the Focals and play them side by side.... it seems as if this is the ONLY solution. More fun for me I supposed

It may have more to do with the listening environment and/or equipment setup. I compared the speakers with a friend who agreed with my assessment, as did the dealer. This wasn't one of those very minor differences that audiophiles like to exaggerate into "huge" differences. Could be that there was something wrong with the B&W too.

I definitely recommend a side-by-side listening session. I've been told something like 30 sec is all it takes to cause us to lose our memory imprint of a particular sound. Could be why I've done comparisons where I was absolutely certain one component sounded 1000X better, only to switch back and forth some more and not hear the difference anymore
post #10 of 12 Old 11-12-2008, 03:06 AM
Advanced Member

Or, it just may be the fact that - for your ears - the B&W's sound better! Now you know why whenever anyone asks which speaker should I buy the general concensus here is "audition, audition, audition". There is probably nothing wrong with your hearing, it's just the way your brain interprets what it hears. That's why there are so many different brands & types of speakers - because we all hear things differently.

When I auditioned speakers, I listened to Energy, Polk, Klipsch, Martin Logan, Vienna Acoustics, Def Techs, & Paradigm's. But when I heard the B&W's, my ears felt like they had arrived home after a long strange trip! The other speakers were all good, but there was just something about the B&W's that sounded "just right". I have a complete B&W HT, the 602's, LCR60, & 600's + a Hsu sub, and couldn't be happier!

I get the feeling that you are under the impression that since you can get more expensive speakers for about the same as the B&W's that somehow the Focal's are better. If you can, step away from the dollar amount and ask yourself, "which is the better sounding speaker". Remember 2 very important things; it's your hearing, and it's your money. Get the speakers that sound better to you. If the Focal's sound better, great, enjoy them with the knowlege that you saved a lot of money! If it's the B&W's, great, enjoy them with the knowledge that you save a lot more money! What a great win/win situation!
post #11 of 12 Old 11-12-2008, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys....sometimes you just need other people to put things in perspective. I really do appreicate the support and information I find on this message board!

Thanks again and Cheers!!!!
post #12 of 12 Old 01-27-2009, 04:11 PM

Hi Elonheater
I have Arcam AVR300 and Arcam DV135 player and think upgrade my Kef Q65 to new speakers. I thought in Focal 726V or BW683.
what about your audition side by side with Focal and BW? Did you get many differencies?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page