mid price rance 5.1 that don't hurt eyes - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-15-2008, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm finishing up repairs at my new place and getting to the fun part- toys. Primary project is accessorizing the living room- fairly large room, 20ft ceiling, roughly 15x20, large window, carpet, open into 2 other rooms and corridor (I don't have any pictures handy). I would like to get a half-decent audio/video setup. Currently I am planning on getting Onkyo SR606 for receiver. For speakers... no clue
Requirements (as I see them, might change as I get more educated):
5.1 setup
About 50/50 music/movies
Estimated prices: ~1k for front/center, ~300-400 for rear, ~300 for sub (~2k total if my math serves me).
I would really like for the speakers to not look like a box. I mean I get that speakers are about the sound but they aren't invisible and most of what I've seen don't have any style to them (speaking of style, place could be described as contemporary)
I would like to buy speakers from a retailer since I would like to listen to them, touch them, smell them and to be able to return them if they don't work for the room. I'm in the LA area if that matters.

I am not sure, maybe the question is stupid but I really hope I could get help. Im baffled .

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-15-2008, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
when you mean don't look like a box, you mean speakers that arent wide and chunky like onld skool speakers don't you? Are you open to slim tower speakers? there are some Nice slim towers with maching subs and center speakers from brands like . KEF , Axiom, sony, JBL , infinity, salk and polk.

One shall stand... One Shall Fall... - Optimus Prime
post #3 of 11 Old 11-16-2008, 04:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 48
gverig, have a look at Definitive Technology (aka DefTech) speakers and read some of the threads here and see if that's the kind of thing you have in mind. Those are sold at lots of places. Though in LA you'll have lots of choices.

Flip through this article. Nobody would agree that all of those are the best, but it's some options to get you thinking.

Also read some of the threads which recommend speakers at that price point ...
post #4 of 11 Old 11-16-2008, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gverig View Post

5.1 setup
About 50/50 music/movies
Estimated prices: ~1k for front/center, ~300-400 for rear, ~300 for sub (~2k total if my math serves me).
I would really like for the speakers to not look like a box.

Take a look at this system. IMO if fits your description of "wants and needs". You can also register on the AV123 forum, and request a demo of the speakers before you purchase. Someone will be glad to accommodate you.

http://**********/component/page,shop...art/Itemid,37/

[IMG]http://**********/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/c30ccad3659ff26581e5b32f6fc29323.jpg[/IMG]
post #5 of 11 Old 11-16-2008, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

The AV123 Rocket sale for $1699 and add a MWF-15 sub for $499: http://**********/component/page,shop...art/Itemid,37/

That's about $4k worth of stuff for $2200ish.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-16-2008, 06:25 AM

A couple that would meet your criteria are.

- Polk RTi A series
- KEF IQ Series

If you are willing to go to the internet direct retailers some others you make want to look at are.

- www.********** most of their speakers are unique looking.
- www.ozhometheater.com check out the Swans Diva 6.1.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-16-2008, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

if you like scandanavian chic look at the dana line from theaudioinsider or the aperions.
post #8 of 11 Old 11-16-2008, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Since you want a specific look, and want to buy local so you can look, listen, feel etc.
I'd look at local stores. Find the small "boutique" type store, not a big box. You want to be able to listen to speakers in a room something similar to the size of room you have if possible (not likely with a 20 foot ceiling - you are part big box, and part living room - 20x15x20 - that can't be a kind room, too many similar dimensions. . .) LA is a big town, hopefully you'll be able
to find several options.

By "contemporary" do you mean something like
http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/displa...fid=1177&sc=ht

Other companies also sell speakers that are biased towards looks, but still sound good. You do have to pay a little extra to get looks AND sounds good. Only you can decide which one you prefer (both soundwise and style).

Have fun - go out to look and listen - take your time if possible - pick something you like, and can afford.

The reality is you are going to have to compromise, and only you can decide what compromise works for you.

edit: think long term - speakers can last a long time if you choose right.

Everything I say here is my opinion. It is not my employers opinion, it is not my wife's opinion, it is not my neighbors opinion, it is My Opinion.
post #9 of 11 Old 11-18-2008, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions, I will continue the research.
From what I have seen so far, decent floor standing speakers are out of my price range. Would bookshelf front speakers work for the room this size or should I do 2.0 or 2.1 for now and add satelites later on? I am thinking something like KEF iQ3 (thanks kolky)
On the internet purchase... Unless the store offers no restocking fee returns I can't do this since this is the first time I am building a home theater and I was some room for making mistakes.
Purely from looks standpoint, what else would you recommend? Something in black plastic preferably (wood finish was conditionally vetoed by the design review board aka The Wife) and not too boxy. B&W XT4 looks nice (unfortunately WAY outside the $$). I am not going to buy purely based on the looks (there are bound to be few comments on the stupidity of the approach) but maybe if I get some good looking speakers I could select something that also sounds good. After all, this is not a dedicated media room.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
post #10 of 11 Old 11-20-2008, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

If you are looking for tiny speakers from a dealer...consider the gallo a'diva. The orbs are nice too but are internet direct.
post #11 of 11 Old 11-20-2008, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll throw in my two cents and recommend two pair of Usher S-520 and a S-525 center speaker. One S-525 and a pair of S-520's should be less than $400 each if you get them all at once - that'll give you a bit more to spend on a nice sub.

They are boxy, however, but I think the build quality and available finishes at that price point more than makes up for your non-boxy requirement. At least head down to Home Theater Doctor in Redondo Beach and have a look, they're also an authorized dealer for KEF so you can see them at the same time.

http://www.usheraudiousa.com/product...s-520-shielded

You could also consider the Mirage Omnisat v2 series, they're being discontinued and the prices are very good right now. The style might be right up your alley.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page