post #301 of 3908 Old 02-27-2009, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.bradford View Post

Last Summer I pulled my 3A's apart to re-lam some wires and make some XOver/wiring upgrades. While they were down, my MMG's had to do "front" duty. These are in custom stands that get them vertical and up (the top of the speaker is about the same height of a 1.6); and I have to say there were some qualities of the MR that bested my 3A's. True they did not have the "slam" of the 3A's... nor the buttery detailed top end of the ribbons, but for 5 or 6 hundred bucks they can be amazing. Much more so than any speaker close to its price (IMHO).

I feel the exact same way...if someone is willing to give the MMGs (or any Maggie, for that matter) the right circumstances in which to thrive, I just can't imagine having a system that can touch it for the money.

One of the frustrations I had with my DeVore Super 8s (the best "box speakers" I've ever heard/owned) was that it's REALLY expensive to build a system around it. The proper center and surrounds (one pair) would set you back about $4500. With Maggies I can have 3.6 as mains and throw up a $900 center and $750 surrounds. Or, if I want to go even less expensive, I could pick up a preowned CC3 from a fellow AVS'er (BigBrother) for five bills, and then pick up a pair of MMG-Ws (which I had before) for $300. Add proper amplification and you've got a KICK ASS 5.1 system. Do what Eric is doing and go with 1.6s and the priceerformance ratio is off the charts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 3908 Old 02-27-2009, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
While I have never had MMG's, MG12's, and 1.6's in the same room... I have been able to compare the MMG's to the MG12's, and they're pretty much a wash. Against the MG12's, the 1.6's are noticeably more dynamic.

But the 3 series are not only more dynamic over the 1.6's, the 5 foot tall ribbons are astounding! I have had Quads, Acoustats, Sequerras, and Beveridges, and I can't emphasize enough that "I" think the 3 series ribbon is the best high freq. transducer available. Electrostatic detail and energy, but a buttery smoothness you just don't get with 'stats.
post #303 of 3908 Old 02-27-2009, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elockett View Post

You're preaching to the chior concerning the value the MMG offers. The law of diminisioning returns has been an old axiom in our hobby. As I've stated previously, IMHO, I believe the MMG offers one of the best values in loudspeakers today.

To this end, will the 1.6s "sound" better than the MMGs? Probably not, but they should provide some of the incremental improvements I mentioned previously. The transition from 1.6 to 3.6? I suspect, even less of an improvement given the price difference between the two.

The trick in this hobby is to find the proper balance (which varies with the individual) between performance and price. For me, I think that imaginary line lies somewhere between the 1.6 and the 3.6.

Eric

The main advantages of the 3.6 to me are three-fold: 1) The bass is such that I don't feel the need for a subwoofer, 2) the soundstage is absolutely huge...both wide and deep, and 3) the top end is to die for with those ribbon tweeters. But yeah, you get a LOT of the Maggie Magic with the MMGs, and I suspect a lot of Maggie owners could be plenty happy with them for a long, long time.

I think I mentioned it somewhere in this thread already, but this is the first time I've ever gone back to a brand of anything in this hobby once I've moved on from it. I just couldn't get them out of my mind while I was away from them, even though I had what was widely considered to be among the very best at it's price point. I don't ever want to be w/out Maggies again
post #304 of 3908 Old 02-27-2009, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

While I have never had MMG's, MG12's, and 1.6's in the same room... I have been able to compare the MMG's to the MG12's, and they're pretty much a wash. Against the MG12's, the 1.6's are noticeably more dynamic.

But the 3 series are not only more dynamic over the 1.6's, the 5 foot tall ribbons are astounding! I have had Quads, Acoustats, Sequerras, and Beveridges, and I can't emphasize enough that "I" think the 3 series ribbon is the best high freq. transducer available. Electrostatic detail and energy, but a buttery smoothness you just don't get with 'stats.

I'm not exactly a connoisseur (sp?) of jazz, but I do have a few discs...and wow, jazz music with Maggie ribbons is pure magic. On top of that, the low end is very present and able to reproduce that upright bass with precision and richness.

BTW, if you guys want a really freaky demo for your Maggies, toss on the Postal Service's "Give Up" CD...it's quite the experience!
post #305 of 3908 Old 02-27-2009, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

I think I mentioned it somewhere in this thread already, but this is the first time I've ever gone back to a brand of anything in this hobby once I've moved on from it. I just couldn't get them out of my mind while I was away from them, even though I had what was widely considered to be among the very best at it's price point. I don't ever want to be w/out Maggies again

+1: I owned 1.6s previously and really enjoyed them. I've gone through a few different (mainly smaller higher-ended sat-sub) systems since then but instinctively missed the Maggies. Given my experience with the MMGs, I'm really glad I came home.
post #306 of 3908 Old 02-27-2009, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

+1: I owned 1.6s previously and really enjoyed them. I've gone through a few different (mainly smaller higher-ended sat-sub) systems since then but instinctively missed the Maggies. Given my experience with the MMGs, I'm really glad I came home.

I have the same preference for box speakers...some sort of sub/sat configuration. If I HAVE to go with boxes, I prefer a higher end pair of monitors blended in with a quality sub. I've never cared for larger 3-ways, although smallish 2 way floorstanders (like the Super 8s I had) can be very enjoyable. But at the end of the day, I want to come home to Maggie
post #307 of 3908 Old 02-27-2009, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

To this end, will the 1.6s "sound" better than the MMGs?

Owning both, I can attest that they do. Quite noticeably!

The 1.6's have a much better bottom end and better detail, with none of the harshness I disliked on the MMG's.

Be seeing you!
post #308 of 3908 Old 02-28-2009, 03:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've listened to 12's, 1.6's, and 3.6's in the same room, all gear equal, and same placement.

I found the 12's made it sound like everything was positioned too low, and it was lacking in detail and high-frequency reproduction compared to the 1.6 and 3.6. Significant difference and I wouldn't be happy with the 12's.

I found the difference between the 1.6's and 3.6's to be minor, and just a tiny bit in the high frequency behavior only. For me, not worth the few thousand dollar price differential.

Also, I would say with all of these a subwoofer is necessary. Low end extension was obviously missing and if you want to be able to handle a larger dynamic range the panels just won't cut it. As mentioned before, you want a _good_ subwoofer. Otherwise you're putting sloppy sound into a speaker that I assume you're using to get non-sloppy sound out of.

I called Magnepan to ask about the safety of using their speakers with a good subwoofer (mine is 4 x 15" flat to 5Hz). With the 3.6 or 20 I would run the risk of blowing out the ribbons from the subwoofer. But not a problem with the quasi-ribbons as they are much stronger.

I can only compare against the Strata Mini and Martin Logan electrostatic speakers. The Magnepan speakers are better at transients and more clear. The Martin Logan's woofers are sloppy, and having a high crossover to the woofer makes that disappointing.

I've also heard the lowest end Analysis Audio ribbon speaker. I think these could be considered better than the Magnepans. But they're also much more expensive and a very hard drive. Much more sensitive to toe-in than the Magnepans due to poorer off-axis response, which arguably allows you to play around with how you want things to sound.

post #309 of 3908 Old 02-28-2009, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
at what point do you guys think one needs to step up to the 1.6's from the MMG due to the size of the room? In other words, what is the max size room the MMG could be used to its fullest ?
post #310 of 3908 Old 02-28-2009, 06:59 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekos View Post

at what point do you guys think one needs to step up to the 1.6's from the MMG due to the size of the room? In other words, what is the max size room the MMG could be used to its fullest ?

I don't think it's necassarily stepping up for the room. You can power and place MMG's to sound exceptional in large rooms.

In the simplest analogy...One audio dealer explained it to me like this...that Maggies are like a window to the "sound" available in the recording, the bigger the window the more of the "sound" you can see. For some reason that clicks with me.

The bigger the window the better the view.

I used to listen to my MMG's that were in the basement, while I was outside in the driveway washing the car. Sounded way better than I imagened they would. Now I can't wait until it's nice enough weather to hear the 1.6's out there!
post #311 of 3908 Old 02-28-2009, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josuah View Post

I called Magnepan to ask about the safety of using their speakers with a good subwoofer (mine is 4 x 15" flat to 5Hz). With the 3.6 or 20 I would run the risk of blowing out the ribbons from the subwoofer. But not a problem with the quasi-ribbons as they are much stronger.

I don't understand that. Why would using a subwoofer or not have any affect on the ribbon? It's not like there is any physical connection between the two.

Be seeing you!
post #312 of 3908 Old 02-28-2009, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cctvtech View Post

I don't understand that. Why would using a subwoofer or not have any affect on the ribbon? It's not like there is any physical connection between the two.

The ribbons are very, very thin. The can be damaged by air pressure such as vacuuming the grill cloth or blowing them with compressed air.

I suppose the mindset was that the sub could "rattle the ribbons" however I use a sub and my ribbons are over 15 years old and I have never had an issue. Clearly I don't think it is any thing to be concerned about unless you plan on sticking your sub a foot or more off the floor and directly up against the panel.
post #313 of 3908 Old 02-28-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:

The ribbons are very, very thin. The can be damaged by air pressure such as vacuuming the grill cloth or blowing them with compressed air.

I suppose the mindset was that the sub could "rattle the ribbons" however I use a sub and my ribbons are over 15 years old and I have never had an issue. Clearly I don't think it is any thing to be concerned about unless you plan on sticking your sub a foot or more off the floor and directly up against the panel.

I agree with you, however...

Have you ever been to one of those car audio competitons?

It's not really an "Audio" competiton, it's more like a subwoofer/pressure competiton. (at least the one I went to was)

They actually put meters in the car, and people stand on the hood and hold down the windshield and lean on the windows to create more pressure in the car! Very Weird, but honest to goodness true.

I took a photo of a woman who got into a truck, all the doors open, she wore earplugs and held her ears and they turned up the subs....her stood out on end ...all 2 feet of it!

I think that kind of pressure could blow out a regular tweeter much less a ribbon!
post #314 of 3908 Old 02-28-2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:

I've listened to 12's, 1.6's, and 3.6's in the same room, all gear equal, and same placement.

I found the difference between the 1.6's and 3.6's to be minor, and just a tiny bit in the high frequency behavior only. For me, not worth the few thousand dollar price differential.

I replaced my 1.6's with 3.6's. Same room same spot, same equipment. Huge improvement in music listening.

I still have the 1.6's and I think somewhere in this thread I told about a little "Listen In" I held at my house.
We used the 3.6's as fronts and 1.6's as rears. Listened to a lot of multi-channel music. People rotated through the sweet spots. Here's something I didn't mention before, mosty because the result seemed so obvious, doing it might seem silly.
We switched speakers, 3.6's as rears and 1.6's as fronts. Moved speakers, not feeds.
EVERYONE thought the 3.6's were much better, even as rears, in the rear, with the minimal content.
Anectodal, Yes. Scientific, No. Just a dozen people with ears in one particular room. So, Yes, it was silly to do, and seemed silly to mention...before.
post #315 of 3908 Old 02-28-2009, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith944T View Post

I agree with you, however...

Have you ever been to one of those car audio competitons?

But a car is a small and sealed environment. Under these conditions I can understand the pressure. You can feel it if all the windows are up and someone closes an open door.

But unless you listen in a small bedroom with twin dual 15's, no windows, and a towel under the door I don't think it would ever be an issue (BTW, I actually have seen some photos of setups like this on AVSForum).
post #316 of 3908 Old 02-28-2009, 10:11 AM

Re: subwoofers blowing out the ribbons.

I was asking Magnepan about this because my subs are located close to my mains, and during movies (which would not be using the Magnepans) I should be able to reach 115dB @ 5Hz ~12ft. away. In other words, I can create air movement equivalent to a light breeze. If the Magnepans are within a few feet, then there's your possible ribbon damage.

I don't have a small sealed room. It's all about air displacement and not pressurization; a cooling fan will still blow things around in an unsealed room.

post #317 of 3908 Old 02-28-2009, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 201
gunshot concussion will blow a ribbon on a 3.6R.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #318 of 3908 Old 02-28-2009, 03:07 PM

What are people's opinions on Mye stands or anything similar on the sound quality? Are the enclosure vibrations significantly dampened?

post #319 of 3908 Old 02-28-2009, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cctvtech View Post

Owning both, I can attest that they do. Quite noticeably!

The 1.6's have a much better bottom end and better detail, with none of the harshness I disliked on the MMG's.

I guess I'll find out in within a couple of weeks (as with most Maggie dealers my 1.6s had to be ordered).

I take you at your word with regard to the differences you experienced between the MMG and 1.6. In my rig, I've experienced no harshness with the MMGs, at least relative to other speakers I've owned recently. It will be interesting to see (or more accurately, hear) if I perceive any differences in terms of detail. I know this for a fact: The MMGs are revealing detail from many albums I've not heard previously (though in all fairness, my new electronics collectively likely have much to do with this). Point taken concerning the bass-one would expect the 1.6s to have an advantage in terms of extension given its size versus the MMG. Having said this though, I found the MMGs bass very enjoyable within its limits (I only noticed its loss on large scale orchestral material).

In short, I've really enjoyed my MMGs and could live with them long term (especially coupled with my servo subs). My main motivation with moving up to 1.6s has more to do with trying to more closely match the speaker's driver height to that of my projection screen than anything else.

I lived with the MMGs long enough now that I have a pretty good imprint of their sound. I'm looking forward to hearing the differences offered by the 1.6s.

Eric
post #320 of 3908 Old 02-28-2009, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Also, I would say with all of these a subwoofer is necessary. Low end extension was obviously missing and if you want to be able to handle a larger dynamic range the panels just won't cut it.

I can't speak to either the MG12 or 3.6 you referenced as I've never owned them. However, I can speak to the 1.6 I owned previously (different home and electronics), and based on my time with that model I'd qualify your statement by saying it would depend on one's listening habits and room. I found the 1.6s bass to be more than adequate and of high quality on most material (for me mainly rock and jazz with some orchestral thrown in for good measure). Though I didn't (and still don't) listen to music at head banger levels, I didn't listen at background volume either in a > 7000 cu-ft room.

Now, if one wants to go subsonic at over 100 db at the listening position than sure, good subs combined with high-pass filtering makes sense for the Maggies. Of course, I could make that same argument for most other loudspeakers.

Eric
post #321 of 3908 Old 02-28-2009, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I should be able to reach 115dB @ 5Hz ~12ft. away.

Yikes! What kind of subs are you using? IB perhaps?

Eric
post #322 of 3908 Old 02-28-2009, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The Martin Logan's woofers are sloppy, and having a high crossover to the woofer makes that disappointing.

It depends on which ML's you're talking about. If you're talking about anything from the SL3 and earlier, I would agree with you wholehartedly. But from the Odyssey and Prodigy forward I would disagree. To ML's credit, they paid a lot of attention to woofer design and distortion starting with those two models (I owned both of them). IMHO, their woofers integrated very well with the panels and were not distracting like they were on older models.

I also believe that Maggies have a certain coherence ML's lack in large part because they use planar drivers throughout the frequency range they produce.

Eric
post #323 of 3908 Old 02-28-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Also, I would say with all of these a subwoofer is necessary. Low end extension was obviously missing and if you want to be able to handle a larger dynamic range the panels just won't cut it.

However, I can speak to the 1.6 I owned previously (different home and electronics), and based on my time with that model I'd qualify your statement by saying it would depend on one's listening habits and room.

Quote:

I should be able to reach 115dB @ 5Hz ~12ft. away.

Yikes! What kind of subs are you using? IB perhaps?

I guess that sort of sums up my attitude towards bass.

Yeah, all speakers need a subwoofer in my opinion. Sometimes people talk about having a large plane being equal to a bunch of large drivers, but it's still all about displacement. If you listen to something with large dynamic range then you will need the crossover to be above the bottom of the Maggie's operating band.

I have a pair of DIY sealed sonotubes.

Quote:

Quote:

The Martin Logan's woofers are sloppy, and having a high crossover to the woofer makes that disappointing.

It depends on which ML's you're talking about. If you're talking about anything from the SL3 and earlier, I would agree with you wholehartedly. But from the Odyssey and Prodigy forward I would disagree.

I also believe that Maggies have a certain coherence ML's lack in large part because they use planar drivers throughout the frequency range they produce.

You're right, I should have qualified this better. I've only listened to the ones they have in the same price range as the 1.6 and 3.6 Magnepans. I agree a lot with your last statement.

post #324 of 3908 Old 02-28-2009, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What are people's opinions on Mye stands or anything similar on the sound quality? Are the enclosure vibrations significantly dampened?

Hey there...I've had Mye stands for a few weeks, and I'm very happy with them. The vast majority of Maggie owners I know wouldn't give them up, and there is a lot of great feedback on them over at the Maggie Users group (www.audioasylum.com, look for "planar asylum")

I wrote up my thoughts a few pages earlier in this thread, in case you're interested. Overall, I think you'll find the consensus is a great big "thumb's up"
post #325 of 3908 Old 03-01-2009, 12:29 AM

Quote:

I would certainly recommend trying what you own first. If you're satisfied with the sound-you're done. If you decide to buy a new sub, I'd like to know several things:
  • Is your bias more toward music, movies, or a 50/50 split?
  • How large is the listening room (and does it open to other rooms)?
  • Does cosmetics matter and on a related note, does physical size matter?
  • Would you have flexability concerning sub placement in the room (or would it have to be placed in a corner for example)?
  • What would your absolute budget limit be for the sub? This doesn't mean you'll have to spend up to this limit but it would be nice to know to limit options.
  • Would you be open to used product?

Eric

I wanted to give an update, I haven't posted in the last two days because I've been busy trying to get things ready. I traded in the Denon 1909 for a Pioneer 1018. I think that the Pioneer has a better amp section than the Denon, plus the pioneer has pre-outs for 5.1 so when I inevitably upgrade to bigger maggies, I'll have some room. I've decided to take everyone's suggestions and go with the MMG's for the fronts. I've shown pictures to the gf and she likes them in the white - I prefer the black but I'm so excited about getting the speakers that I could care less about the color.

The bad news is that we're going out of town shortly and I don't have time to wait for the speakers before we leave. So I'll have to wait 2 weeks to order them. I don't want them waiting on my door step for a couple of days and I don't want the person house sitting for me to see my speakers before I do.

That's the update. To answer the questions, I'll be using the system for mostly HT 70% and the rest music. Besides basic TV and movies we'll be watching a lot of concerts on blu-ray (that's the 30%). There will likely not be much 2 channel audio for this system. But I have a feeling once they show up we'll want to play all the music we have on them. If this works out well I may be able to get a pair of 1.6's or bigger for the great room downstairs.

The family room where the MMG's will be going is an acoustic hell. It is a loft type room at the top of the stairs. The master bedroom is on one side and all the other bedrooms are on the other. There is a 72"x72" window on one side and a half wall the opens to the stairway on the opposite wall. I added a few pictures of the room so you can see. The pics are of the empty room, there is a sofa and love seat and shutters on the windows. The TV and speakers will be on the left as from the stairs.

Cosmetics do matter but the gf seemed ok with the size of the MMG's and the 1.6's. She wasn't thrilled on the cost of the 1.6's so we'll start with the MMG's and go from there.

The sub will probably need to be near a corner. The absolute budget on the sub would be around $500. Keep in mind though that we're going for the MMG's so that we don't have to spend a lot on the sub. Just a little boom-boom for the movies.

As far as used products, we want to take advantage of the 60-day trial for the first set. After we're convinced, which I'm sure we will be, we can look at used for the other pieces. We have no problem with used if we know what we're getting or can return it.

Thanks for all your advice so far. As you all can tell I'm too excited to sleep (it's 1:30am and I'm posting pics to avs). We watched the ZZTop blu-ray yesterday and the gf was totally blown away by the energy take 5 setup with the polk PSW10 sub. I can't wait for her to hear the MMG's.

post #326 of 3908 Old 03-01-2009, 12:31 PM

RYUSPEED;

I'm using a Klipsch RW 10d sub. Amazon has new ones listed at $550.

I'm sure there are better, but it's been fine for me with the MMG's, then 1.6's, and now my 3.6's. Especially in Home theater usage. It even has 2 different memories, one for music settings and one for HT.
post #327 of 3908 Old 03-01-2009, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

ryuspeed: Congrats on the MMG purchase. If your experience is anything like mine, they won't be going back and though I think the Energy system you own offers great sound and value for the money, the MMGs are going to blow them out the water.

I appreciate the feedback you provided concerning your room and listening habits. It will help with sub recommendations. A few points:

Having a HT/music video bias will work to your advantage when it comes to sub selection. In my experience with subs, it's easier to implement models that go boom than ones that are musically accurate. I asked about your room opening to others because if it does, unfortunately, you have to include the volume of those rooms when considering sub output. Having said this, it doesn't necessarily mean you'll need a Wilson XS to get good results: http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/wilson_xs_sub.htm.

Corner placement of your sub will give you a nice bass boost at some frequencies, but will likely also give you non-linear (uneven) response requiring equalization for best results. If your pioneer has a Audyssey equivalent (MCACC?) that works on bass frequencies you'll want to run it if your sub is corner loaded.

Though there is likely more than one right answer to this my suggestion for your sub is Elemental Design's A2-300 http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=407

I think you'll be hard pressed to find the A2-300's combination of peformance and build quality anywhere else for anything near $350 (which includes shipping by the way-look at its shipping weight and dimensions). I've heard nothing but good things about the A2-300 from the ED owner's thread and on-site reviews. I did own ED's A7S sub for a brief period and can vouch for the product's battleship build quality. I didn't own it long enough to form a definitive opinion about it's musical prowess but I did run a few movies through it and can easily say it was the most powerful sub I've ever owned (it shook the entire house on some passages). You'll also find that ED's customer support is excellent. They are very nice, down to earth guys who know their product and will help you quickly if you have any problems or questions. Finally, I know they have a full refund policy but I don't remember the number of days.

Of course, there's no free lunch so there are a couple caveats you should be aware of with ED subs. 1: Martha Stewart (and possibly your GF) will likely not fall in love with the finish. I'd characterize it as utilitarian (think flat black, crinkle-cut truck bed liner). It's actually not too bad in a form follows function sort of way. In a way (though I appreciate your GF's viewpoint) it's too bad you couldn't get black MMGs. It's black cloth would actually work well with the ED finish. 2: ED subs are built to order and depending on their back log you may have to wait a bit for them (or maybe not at all-they tend to do some speculative build on their more popular products like the A2-300). I had to wait six weeks for my ED sub, but the cool thing about it that I was able to track its progress at ED's website (you can do the same of course).

For the record, I have no commercial or other interests with ED of any kind. I'm simply giving a shout out to a company that's earned it based on my experience with them.

Good luck with your system, and please give us an update once you have all of your components in place.
post #328 of 3908 Old 03-02-2009, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 343
I went ahead & hung the CC3 last Sunday from the ceiling. And it sounds & looks great!

I used chain from Home Depot for a temporary & solid hookup to ceiling hooks (45 lb rated). The plan is to replace with fish line (50 lb test) per Magnepan's suggestion when the final height above my new plasma is set.

The hardest part & PITA is measurements to get it lined up on the ceiling so it's parallel to front wall & equal distance from sidewalls. One of the 3 top holes is off-center and so careful measuring between the holes and transferring those measurements to the ceiling takes time & patience.

But it certainly has potential for an above flat panel configuration where wall mounts are not an option. Even if they are, this way allows you to put some distance from the wall.

In my case, audio quality hanging from above beat sitting it on a shelf below. I have the height set so the CC3 just barely hovers above the RPTV. I plan to do the same with the plasma.

Just wanted to share because initially hanging a CC3 by fish line may seem like a screwy idea - but it turned out really

ss9001

Steve
post #329 of 3908 Old 03-02-2009, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Awesome! Got pics coming?
post #330 of 3908 Old 03-02-2009, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

I went ahead & hung the CC3 last Sunday from the ceiling. And it sounds & looks great!

I used chain from Home Depot for a temporary & solid hookup to ceiling hooks (45 lb rated). The plan is to replace with fish line (50 lb test) per Magnepan's suggestion when the final height above my new plasma is set.

The hardest part & PITA is measurements to get it lined up on the ceiling so it's parallel to front wall & equal distance from sidewalls. One of the 3 top holes is off-center and so careful measuring between the holes and transferring those measurements to the ceiling takes time & patience.

But it certainly has potential for an above flat panel configuration where wall mounts are not an option. Even if they are, this way allows you to put some distance from the wall.

In my case, audio quality hanging from above beat sitting it on a shelf below. I have the height set so the CC3 just barely hovers above the RPTV. I plan to do the same with the plasma.

Just wanted to share because initially hanging a CC3 by fish line may seem like a screwy idea - but it turned out really

ss9001

Very cool ss9001: I think mounting the CC3 higher versus lower makes sense sonically. I wish I could do that but my room isn't dedicated so I don't think a black CC3 suspended from the ceiling will work in my case. Further, I'd have another problem becuase the CC3's rear wave would fire and reflect from the front projection screen behind it.

On the subject of front projection screens, I did some hanging myself over the weekend with some very expensive ceiling hooks (about $4 for both-also from Home Depot). I can relate to your challenge of lining up the CC3 on the room's center line. I ran into the same issue with the screen. As you said, it's a real PITA to measure at the ceiling but fortunately for me, a slight cosmetic flaw in the ceiling worked to my advantage. Whoever installed the ceiling drywall didn't hide the seams between sheets as well as they could have and as luck would have it, one of those seams runs very close to the midpoint of my room. Thus, I was able to use it as a reference for measuring lateral distances. I'm pleasantly surprised at how well this install went, and how relatively easy it was. The screen has a couple of wrinkles at the bottom but at its price point ($160 delivered) I can't complain. My understanding is that wrinkles are common on non-tensioned screens. I've heard that they tend to receed a bit over time and moreover, because they only occur at the bottom edge, I don't think I'll notice it on most material due to letterboxing.

I did wonder when I ordered the screen if I selected too large a size (120", 16:9 with a 12' viewing distance) but now that it's up, I think I made the right choice. It's big to be sure, but not so much that I'll experience eye strain from having to focus on different parts of the screen during a movie. My field of vision caputures the whole screen, but it's wide enough to deliver the emmersion effect (I think-I haven't had a chance to try it out yet and it will probably be a few days before I can do so; maily due to work).

I've attached a couple of pics: Screen is an Elite M120xwh2.

Eric
LL
LL
Reply Speakers

Tags
Magnepan , Magnepan Mmg , Magnepan Mini Maggie System , Magnepan Mg 1 7 , Magnepan Mg 3 7

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page