post #3661 of 3669 Old 07-02-2014, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by cctvtech View Post
Let me see, I've had MG1b's with tweeter corrosion, traditional cone speakers with foam suspension where the foam fell apart, cone speakers with butyl rubber suspensions where the rubber surround came loose from the driver and cone speakers where the voice coil windings "unpacked" and started scraping on the magnet.

Speakers are mechanical devices. As such, there will always be parts that can wear out or otherwise fail, no matter what they are constructed from. It's silly to worry about Magnepans delaminating.
I agree, I read this before I purchased my pair but most owners I have talked with have had Magnepans many many years with zero issues. Very glad I bought these!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3662 of 3669 Old 07-03-2014, 02:30 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone tweak the EQ setting for Magnepan 1.7s? What settings do you find optimal?
post #3663 of 3669 Old 07-03-2014, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Depends on your room and your preferences...

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #3664 of 3669 Old 07-08-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAV View Post
Anyone tweak the EQ setting for Magnepan 1.7s? What settings do you find optimal?
Jeff so far no EQ needed just using my 1.7 for music only, I would suspect if using a 5.1 or 7.1 system you could use the EQ built in program on most HT receivers and you should get some good results. Room treatments are always helpful and setup, placement etc...
post #3665 of 3669 Old 07-09-2014, 12:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAV View Post
If you meant to integrate them into the HT system, they go down to about 40Hz, set them as "large/big" speakers.

Better yet, if you link your pre/pro or AVR thru stereo preamp that has HT bypass & has 2 sets of outputs to power amp(s), set the processor as "no subwoofer". Full range signal will go to the 1.7's. Connect your subwoofer to the 2nd outputs of stereo preamp, then set sub's X-over to the point where the 1.7's roll off in the bass/LF.

Cheers.

Last edited by klao; 07-09-2014 at 11:53 PM. Reason: typo
post #3666 of 3669 Old 07-09-2014, 02:20 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by klao View Post
If you meant to integrate them into the HT system, they go down to abou 40Hz, set them as "big" speakers.

Better yet, if you link your pre/pro or AVR thru stereo preamp that has HT bypass & has 2 sets of outputs to power amp(s), set the processor as "no subwoofer". Full range signal will go to the 1.7's. Connect your subwoofer to the 2nd outputs of stereo preamp, then set sub's X-over to the point where the 1.7's roll off in the bass/LF.

Cheers.
I was referring more to EQ settings such as in iTunes EQ..either preset (Bass Enhancer, Deep, etc.) or custom settings.
post #3667 of 3669 Old 07-09-2014, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

How you EQ is a very personal thing, no need to ask a bunch of unknown Internet people. A lot of folk tend to boost the bass a bit and roll off the treble.

Speaking for myself, I would never set the 1.7's, or most any speaker, to "large". Might be OK for music but asking panels to handle movie LF content is unrealistic IMO. Ditto organs, kettle drums, etc. They will distort heavily when driven by loud low-frequency content. I realize this conflicts with others' opinions and to some extent Magnepan's generic advice, but I go by what my ears and measurements tell me.

IMO, IME, FWIWFM, YMMV, my 0.000001 cents (microcent), etc. - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #3668 of 3669 Old 07-09-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
Speaking for myself, I would never set the 1.7's, or most any speaker, to "large". Might be OK for music but asking panels to handle movie LF content is unrealistic IMO. Ditto organs, kettle drums, etc. They will distort heavily when driven by loud low-frequency content. I realize this conflicts with others' opinions and to some extent Magnepan's generic advice, but I go by what my ears and measurements tell me.

IMO, IME, FWIWFM, YMMV, my 0.000001 cents (microcent), etc. - Don
Doesn't it depend on the amplifier's definition of "large"? I have my NAD set at "small" for my 1.6QR's but with the crossover at 50Hz and my Rythmik attached to the sub out. I never took the time to test all the different combinations possible for both connections and settings but the system sounds good to me after Audyssey calibration.

Be seeing you!
post #3669 of 3669 Old 07-09-2014, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I am not sure what you mean. The AVR will decide if your speakers are "small" or "large" during its calibration process but IME most speakers that have any response in say the 40 - 80 Hz range will be (very optimistically) set to "large". I hate that nomenclature; instead of "small/large" I would have called it "bass management on/off". Except in fairly rare cases I would always choose to use bass management and let my sub(s) handle the deep stuff.

I have not checked recently but think my MG-IIIa's are crossed at 60 Hz.

If it sounds good to you that's all that really matters.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Magnepan , Magnepan Mmg , Magnepan Mini Maggie System , Magnepan Mg 1 7 , Magnepan Mg 3 7

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page