post #3661 of 3683 Old 07-02-2014, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by cctvtech View Post
Let me see, I've had MG1b's with tweeter corrosion, traditional cone speakers with foam suspension where the foam fell apart, cone speakers with butyl rubber suspensions where the rubber surround came loose from the driver and cone speakers where the voice coil windings "unpacked" and started scraping on the magnet.

Speakers are mechanical devices. As such, there will always be parts that can wear out or otherwise fail, no matter what they are constructed from. It's silly to worry about Magnepans delaminating.
I agree, I read this before I purchased my pair but most owners I have talked with have had Magnepans many many years with zero issues. Very glad I bought these!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3662 of 3683 Old 07-03-2014, 02:30 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone tweak the EQ setting for Magnepan 1.7s? What settings do you find optimal?
post #3663 of 3683 Old 07-03-2014, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Depends on your room and your preferences...

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #3664 of 3683 Old 07-08-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAV View Post
Anyone tweak the EQ setting for Magnepan 1.7s? What settings do you find optimal?
Jeff so far no EQ needed just using my 1.7 for music only, I would suspect if using a 5.1 or 7.1 system you could use the EQ built in program on most HT receivers and you should get some good results. Room treatments are always helpful and setup, placement etc...
post #3665 of 3683 Old 07-09-2014, 12:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAV View Post
If you meant to integrate them into the HT system, they go down to about 40Hz, set them as "large/big" speakers.

Better yet, if you link your pre/pro or AVR thru stereo preamp that has HT bypass & has 2 sets of outputs to power amp(s), set the processor as "no subwoofer". Full range signal will go to the 1.7's. Connect your subwoofer to the 2nd outputs of stereo preamp, then set sub's X-over to the point where the 1.7's roll off in the bass/LF.

Cheers.

Last edited by klao; 07-09-2014 at 11:53 PM. Reason: typo
post #3666 of 3683 Old 07-09-2014, 02:20 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by klao View Post
If you meant to integrate them into the HT system, they go down to abou 40Hz, set them as "big" speakers.

Better yet, if you link your pre/pro or AVR thru stereo preamp that has HT bypass & has 2 sets of outputs to power amp(s), set the processor as "no subwoofer". Full range signal will go to the 1.7's. Connect your subwoofer to the 2nd outputs of stereo preamp, then set sub's X-over to the point where the 1.7's roll off in the bass/LF.

Cheers.
I was referring more to EQ settings such as in iTunes EQ..either preset (Bass Enhancer, Deep, etc.) or custom settings.
post #3667 of 3683 Old 07-09-2014, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

How you EQ is a very personal thing, no need to ask a bunch of unknown Internet people. A lot of folk tend to boost the bass a bit and roll off the treble.

Speaking for myself, I would never set the 1.7's, or most any speaker, to "large". Might be OK for music but asking panels to handle movie LF content is unrealistic IMO. Ditto organs, kettle drums, etc. They will distort heavily when driven by loud low-frequency content. I realize this conflicts with others' opinions and to some extent Magnepan's generic advice, but I go by what my ears and measurements tell me.

IMO, IME, FWIWFM, YMMV, my 0.000001 cents (microcent), etc. - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #3668 of 3683 Old 07-09-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
Speaking for myself, I would never set the 1.7's, or most any speaker, to "large". Might be OK for music but asking panels to handle movie LF content is unrealistic IMO. Ditto organs, kettle drums, etc. They will distort heavily when driven by loud low-frequency content. I realize this conflicts with others' opinions and to some extent Magnepan's generic advice, but I go by what my ears and measurements tell me.

IMO, IME, FWIWFM, YMMV, my 0.000001 cents (microcent), etc. - Don
Doesn't it depend on the amplifier's definition of "large"? I have my NAD set at "small" for my 1.6QR's but with the crossover at 50Hz and my Rythmik attached to the sub out. I never took the time to test all the different combinations possible for both connections and settings but the system sounds good to me after Audyssey calibration.

Be seeing you!
post #3669 of 3683 Old 07-09-2014, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I am not sure what you mean. The AVR will decide if your speakers are "small" or "large" during its calibration process but IME most speakers that have any response in say the 40 - 80 Hz range will be (very optimistically) set to "large". I hate that nomenclature; instead of "small/large" I would have called it "bass management on/off". Except in fairly rare cases I would always choose to use bass management and let my sub(s) handle the deep stuff.

I have not checked recently but think my MG-IIIa's are crossed at 60 Hz.

If it sounds good to you that's all that really matters.

post #3670 of 3683 Old 07-15-2014, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Am considering a pair of MMG's or 1.7's for 2.1 classical music only using a 2ch Sherwood receiver w/100 RMS into 8 ohms.

The real question is whether they can be used in the only location I have available, the 16' corners of a three glass walled 16x13 ft Florida room about 2' out from the room corners toed into the room center. There is a large opening (double French doors) into a larger room.

Currently running 2 wonderful Bose 601 Series II speakers that had successfully been playing in that location for 30+ years. They are off to get new re-foamed and re-edged woofers (may not come back in good shape).

Looking to replicate the huge open, live concert hall soundstage that those Bose floor standers (w/their double 8" woofers and 4 reflecting 3" tweeters) had provided for over 30 years now.

Will the Maggie's work as well in that location?

Last edited by prestonrich; 07-15-2014 at 09:47 PM.
post #3671 of 3683 Old 07-16-2014, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

How far will you be from each speaker, and how far apart are the speakers?
Where is the opening, behind the speakers, on one side, across from them?

I find Bose speakers in general tend to smear the image, sounding impressive but losing the more precise positioning of instruments in an orchestra. But, I am likely more anal about such things since I play in an orchestra (but on the back row so what do I know? ) Magnepans perform like line sources for most of their frequency range and so are much more directional than the Bose 601's. The back wave, if undamped, will provide reflected sound and so may sound somewhat similar to the 601's. Frankly, you really need to listen to a pair to see if you like their sound. I am hesitant to advise anyone to buy other speakers, especially a different type, when they feel their current speakers are "wonderful". You might want to wait until you get your 601's back before deciding anything.

p.s. Should also make sure the Sherwood can drive 4 ohms, though that would be a minor consideration for me. What might be a bigger concern is the efficiency (sensitivity, dB/W) difference between the Maggies and the 601's, though Bose speakers are not generally all that efficient either.

post #3672 of 3683 Old 07-16-2014, 07:25 AM

The Bose speakers are (Maggie's would be) 16' apart in the corners of the room toed in to the room's back wall (like an equilateral triangle) set back 2' from the physical room corners. The opening is on the long wall opposite the speakers. There is substantial furniture in the room. The 2 Bose 601's are sitting on top of HSU VTF2 subs. The ceiling slopes up away from the speakers from 7' at the speakers to 12' at the back wall.

Dennis Murphy of the Washington Philharmonic visited (I'm also considering his Phil Slims) said they sounded terrific in that spot. His speakers have a huge open soundstage too. Yes, the imaging is smeared but the live presence and dynamic range is amazing!

If Maggie's won't provide that impressive live open soundstage (I always heard they did) then we're back to the drawing board.

Regarding amps, the speakers are the big factor. I can always switch amps/receivers.

Last edited by prestonrich; 07-16-2014 at 07:32 AM.
post #3673 of 3683 Old 07-16-2014, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 47
Another thing to be aware of is that, since half of the sound of Magneplanars fires towards the wall behind them, the reflectivity of that wall plays a larger than average role in how the speakers sound. I mention that because you said you have a lot of glass walls. Not good for Maggies, IMO.
post #3674 of 3683 Old 07-16-2014, 09:39 AM

Are there any other speakers made today that replicate that big wide open live performance soundstage of the old Bose 601's?
post #3675 of 3683 Old 07-16-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Without getting into the debate about what the live soundstage is like (we just disagree on that one), Maggies with the right placement and room will sound expansive. Omnipolar speakers (not sure who makes them now; Mirage and Walsh come to mind but I am sure there are others) are probably the best match to your 601's. Look for models that advertising "rear-firing" mid/tweeter drivers.

The Maggies may work fine for you and are arguably much better speakers than your old 601's, but there's no way to tell if you will like them without listening to them in your room. If you are really interested try to get an in-home demo from a Magnepan dealer or order a pair of MMG's so you can return them if they don't work out. Placing them that far apart it sounds like you may suffer from a "hole" in the center of the image; that may be one reason you find the Bose sounds better than other speakers in that room. The equilateral listening position is for each speaker to be the same distance from the listening position as they are apart. IOW, a pair of speakers 16 feet apart would have the listening position at the point (apex) of a triangle 16 feet on each side.

I still think you are jumping the gun if you do not feel anything will match your 601's and they are being rebuilt. Why not wait until they return? I'm afraid anything you buy now you will find lacking, or if you do like the new speakers better you'll have a pair of rejuvenated 601's collecting dust.

At the very least you should try to hear a pair of Magnepans so you know what to expect. I suspect you'd like them but I am quite biased, natch. The distance apart relative to the listening position I find a bit concerning; even with the back wave you may find other (omni or conventional) designs a better fit to that room.

Last edited by DonH50; 07-16-2014 at 11:52 AM.
post #3676 of 3683 Old 07-16-2014, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 47
+1 to Don's advice. It may be that you are just very used to, and happy with, the sound of your 601's. If you like them as much as you seem to, no point in changing just for the sake of change. On the other hand, you might like the Maggies even more! Doesn't Magnepan offer a money-back guarantee on one of the entry-level models? It's a direct-sale offer only (so the dealer isn't penalized if you decide not to keep them), but I don't remember who pays the shipping (one way or both). One other thing I would add is that your mention of having them about two feet out from the corners, firing into the middle of the room.....you don't want to do that with a fairly large dipole panel. The sound coming out of the backside will get sort of bounced around back there, eventually reaching your ears and mixing with the sound from the front side of the speaker. Could be a real mess. Plus, if the rear wave meets up with the direct wave at certain frequencies and in certain time relationships, you could get some pretty severe phase cancellation and really screwy tonality and imaging problems. Magnepan recommends AT LEAST three feet behind and to each side of their speakers. More is better, less is much worse. And if you DO have glass walls (and perhaps uncarpeted, hard floors), I sincerely doubt you would like the sound from Maggies in that room. But then, I would be surprised if ANY speaker would sound as it is intended to with all of those reflective surfaces. Can you put drapes across the glass, breakup the large expanses of wall with bookcases, CD and/or DVD racks, etc? Works great, costs little. Good luck on your search for great sound! Maggies can provide it, but only if they are right for the room and system.
post #3677 of 3683 Old 07-16-2014, 01:00 PM

I'm the OP. Thanks for all your comments. Unfortunately, 2 feet out from the corners is all I've got, and drapes are not appropriate for this room. I'll just have to hope the 601's comeback singing like they used too.

Smeared imaging or not, the reflected sound from these old, remarkable Bose speakers is always like walking into a concert hall for me every time I push the on button.

Yes, MMG's can be direct ordered and returned, but it sounds like the separating distance apart will be too great for them. Going to an AVR w/a center ch won't work for this room either.

I'll also be trying out Dennis Murphy's outstanding Phil 3's and Slims speakers. He's been very helpful and patient w/me in coordinating my 601 woofer repairs. He really likes the way those old speakers sound in this room too. If the repairs come back unsuccessful, I'll be going w/his speakers. They have the widest soundstage I've heard outside my 601's. IMHO, the 901's aren't even in the same league.

Last edited by prestonrich; 07-16-2014 at 01:14 PM.
post #3678 of 3683 Old 07-16-2014, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Totally agree with both Don and BDP. And since you've decided to fix your 601s, there won't be a need (other than curiosity) to look into Maggies. In ancient times (early 70s) I had a pair of 901s. Great for parties, drinking and dancing, and provided a huge wall of sound. I now have Maggies (3.6s). Expansive sound stage (height, width and depth) and great articulation. Huge improvement, plus these are used for critical listening (my more carefree days have long since ceased).

All that said, no one will know if you will like Maggies until you audition them, and preferably in your home environment where you have unique concerns. So I'll just echo the suggestion of speaking with a Magnepan dealer to see if they will give you a trial period on a model you are interested in (certain speakers purchased direct from Magnepan, as has been mentioned, allow a trial period).

A couple of other things to take into account. Magnepans are imposing looking speakers, especially the 20.7s and 3.7s. Even the 1.7s and MMGs can dominate a room. There is a much longer break-in period with mylar panel speakers than conventional speakers, although they sound great when first set up, it takes awhile for the mylar panels to stretch enough to get down to its targeted low frequency response.
post #3679 of 3683 Old 07-16-2014, 02:19 PM

I still have the structural limitation of two feet off the corners for speaker placement. That alone might be the Maggie deal-breaker for me...assuming the live room and minimum and 3' rear wall clearance requirements are inviolable.

OTOH, I also wonder whether "critical listening" can be truly objective when concert hall sound gets splashed all over the place anyway...especially for mid-orchestra performers. Our concert hall here even has different shaped board panels suspended from the ceiling to concentrate sound into different harmonic balances depending on performance and whether or not a recording is being made. However, I'm certainly no expert on this.

Last edited by prestonrich; 07-16-2014 at 02:24 PM.
post #3680 of 3683 Old 07-16-2014, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

prestonrich: No, the minimum 3-foot recommendation from the rear wall for Maggies is just that, a recommendation. My 3.6s, measured from the center of the speaker to the back wall is about 2-1/2 feet and have heard no ill effects (although I plan on trying to use some wall treatments to check out the advantages of these room treatments). People have positioned them 4 or 5 feet (or more), while others only a couple feet from the wall and seemed more than satisfied. While there are dozens of reviews of the 3.6 (and now the 3.7), the following no-nonsense and very refreshing review I especially enjoyed, and even had me chuckling: http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-lo...dspeakers.html

As far as live concerts, we've all been in venues that enhance or detract from the sound. Dr. Bose initial vision was to try and bring a concert hall into the living room, with varying degrees of success and failure.
post #3681 of 3683 Old 07-16-2014, 04:06 PM

I might try out the MMG's since they can be returned. Should I go w/ the base panel(s) as well? I can also use my HSUVTF2 sub.
post #3682 of 3683 Old 07-16-2014, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

^^ I see no need for Maggie bass panels, since you have a pretty darn good subwoofer available (although I don't know how well it will get along with a panel speaker). The MMGs themselves are rated -3 dB at 50 Hz, so having the Hsu low pass filter set to under 80 Hz, perhaps down to around 63 Hz should work well. Not that familiar with that particular Hsu, but if it also has a high pass filter, I'd play around to see what works out the best.
post #3683 of 3683 Old 07-16-2014, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

You can place them close to the wall, just more cancellation effects (and you may also get bass reinforcement). Since your goal is more reflected sound you might not care. Whenever I have had to place dipoles (Maggies or ESL's) near a wall, I have treated the wall behind to kill the back wave. Imaging improves dramatically but of course you lose some of the reflected energy.

Ditto the concert hall comments. I've played and listened in good and bad, just like to get my room out of the equation if possible.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Magnepan , Magnepan Mmg , Magnepan Mini Maggie System , Magnepan Mg 1 7 , Magnepan Mg 3 7

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page