The Official Magnepan Owners Thread - Page 125 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Speakers > The Official Magnepan Owners Thread

Speakers

BDP24's Avatar BDP24
12:43 AM Liked: 59
post #3721 of 3922
08-17-2014 | Posts: 719
Yep, even less sensitive than Maggies. They can be bi-amped, however. Another thing to know about them is that they have a higher impedance than the 4 ohm Maggies, so they will have less power available from solid state amps. The ET panels themselves are 12 ohms, so bi-amping with a SS amp on the cone woofer and a tube one on the panels will work great.
dsrussell's Avatar dsrussell
01:18 AM Liked: 545
post #3722 of 3922
08-17-2014 | Posts: 1,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by grigorianvlad View Post
Guys, I into my third day of enjoying my Maggies and I already craving for something better. What will an upgrade to the 3.6 bring to the table? How different are they from the 2.7s? Apart from being newer (lets not forget the 2.7s are probably 15 years old).
Before you do anything drastic, I'd suggest that you pull the Maggies away from your wall. Try them at 4 or 5 feet. I know, I know, you couldn't ever keep them there. But do it anyway, move the seating position back temporarily in order to have an equilateral triangle from the speakers to your listening position. Once that is done, spend a half day testing them out. If there is a significant difference, perhaps all you need is a little room treatment on the walls behind the Maggies when they are moved back to where you had them. If there isn't any significant difference, then go to a Magnepan dealership and audition the 3.7i's.
scooter_29's Avatar scooter_29
09:04 AM Liked: 10
post #3723 of 3922
08-17-2014 | Posts: 1,526
How did everyone setup the surround portion of their system? I am trying to figure out what others did to get ideas for either 5.1 or 7.1. My new room isn't terribly big. I right now have a set of 1.6 that I have used for surround in the past but I only have 3' behind me in the new room to the rear wall.
09:50 AM Liked: 545
post #3724 of 3922
^^ Probably with wall treatments behind each speaker. If you have your surround Maggies (or front, for that matter) 3-feet from the wall, that's very good indeed. Actually, I think it's outstanding. Congratulations. Many of us can't get them that far away. There is an in-your-face-thumb-your-nose review of the Magnepan 3.6 vs audiophiles that cracked me up that I had URL'd in post 3680.

People normally have Maggies, or any planar and ESL speaker setup in a stereo 2.0 or 2.1 configuration. Not many of us are rich enough or have enough room for a 5.1 or 7.1 setup. Of course there are exceptions. Gary Reber who writes for "Widescreen Review" has a 7.1 system all Maggies and there is a member here on AVS that has a 11.x system of all Martin Logan ESLs. I suspect it takes a pretty impressive room. And since Maggies don't play well with conventional speakers, it's usually all Maggies or forget it.

However, some people use a Tri-Center configuration of Maggies and forgo the normal setup. Tri-Center is when, along with your normal center channel Magnepan, you also use two other panels to add to the center, like the MMC2s. I think this takes a ProLogic II processor. You can find this info on the Magnepan website here: http://www.magneplanar.com/tri-center
scooter_29's Avatar scooter_29
10:15 AM Liked: 10
post #3725 of 3922
08-17-2014 | Posts: 1,526
Let me clarify a bit... I only have 3' from the back of the couch to the rear wall. I don't have 3' behind the surround speakers (I did in my old house). I don't need to worry about the fronts or the front center, it is the surround channels that I am challenged with for space.
10:21 AM Liked: 545
post #3726 of 3922
^^ Place them on the side walls, perhaps? Is there a law that your surrounds must be behind you?
DonH50's Avatar DonH50
02:39 PM Liked: 308
post #3727 of 3922
08-17-2014 | Posts: 6,393
Random comments:

I have a 7.x Magnepan system. I use MG-IIIa's (old, old Maggies) for L/R. they are only about 18" - 24" from the wall behind but that wall (and all others) are heavily treated so no comb filter effects. A stereo pair of Rythmik F12's sits beside the mains, after an active analog crossover. Center is a CC3 and the surrounds and rears are MC1's. The MC1's are only inches from the wall and seem to do fine; hair more bass, and cancellation effects I do not seem to notice for surround and back material. Speakers are driven by an XPA-2 and XPA-5; frankly, my Pioneer SC-27 drives them fine but I already had the amplifiers. The room is not large (about 13.25' wide, 17.5' long, 8.5' high after hanging the ceiling from Kinetics IsoMax clips for isolation).

I have mixed other speakers for surrounds and it was OK. I needed them for another system and went with Magnepan surrounds/backs sinec I was able to afford them and had a plan for their installation (using DIY stands). Maggies all around sound great (natch!) but I would not let that deter me from saving money and space on the surround speakers. I do prefer the sound of a Maggie center, however; it makes the transition across the front stage more seamless.

Most planer speaker like Maggies and ESLs, or really just "most speakers", exhibit quite high distortion when driven by loud LF signals. I much prefer to use a good subwoofer and integrate it with the mains, rolling them off to preserve their performance and amplifier headroom where it is useful. I do not own 20's but have heard them a number of times and would still use a sub with them. YMMV.

The 3.x series and above adds a true ribbon tweeter. When I got mine the difference was significant and I much preferred the big ribbon tweeter. I have not heard the newer models enough (hardly at all) to see if the step-up from quasi- to true-ribbon is as large a difference today. The other difference is the larger panels provide a larger sound stage and bit deeper bass with a little more LF output.

Magnepans are nominally 4-ohm speakers with the top end on the ribbon models falling to perhaps 3 ohms. However, the impedance does not have the large excursions in impedance magnitude or phase that many conventional speakers have, nor the extremely low HF impedance exhibited by ESLs, so is not as difficult to drive as you might think. They also behave as line sources over much of their frequency range (upper bass on up). That means SPL fall-off with distance is less than with conventional speakers, increasing their relative efficiency/sensitivity at the listening position, and less interaction with walls, floor, and ceiling (first reflections not a big deal). IME room treatment for planers should start with the wall behind them, then the opposite wall (especially if the rear wall is near the listening position). Sides and ceilings last if needed at all.

Often times people come to listen and ask me to turn them up. Sometimes they just want it louder, sometimes they have bought into the "crank them to hear them sound their best" myth. The usual result is shock and awe when they turn to tell me how great they sound only to find out they can't hear themselves speak. Clean sound is a wonderful thing.

All IME, IMO, FWIWFM, YMMV, my 0.000001 cents (microcent), etc. - Don
Cardiff Kook's Avatar Cardiff Kook
09:57 AM Liked: 12
post #3728 of 3922
08-18-2014 | Posts: 62
Quote:
Guys, I into my third day of enjoying my Maggies and I already craving for something better. What will an upgrade to the 3.6 bring to the table? How different are they from the 2.7s? Apart from being newer (lets not forget the 2.7s are probably 15 years old).
I recently upgraded from a 27 year old pair of MGIIIa's to a brand new pair of 3.7i's. I am amazed at how similar they sound. I expected all the years and various model changes would lead to a completely different playing field. Not the case.

I can switch back and forth between the two, and the differences are subtle. There is more difference from moving the location of Maggies than there is in difference between my models at the same exact positioning.

First a warning. The 3.7i's sound bad out of the box. It took 200 hours to get them to sound as good as the old speakers. I now have at least 400 hours and they are still improving. I would now give the nod to the new ones on almost all music choices.

The big differences are:
Low bass is dramatically and significantly better on the IIIa. No contest. At normal listening volumes, my old speakers play 25 and 32 hz about eight db louder. I suppose further break in may help, but as below I doubt it. The new speakers also have a weird suck out at 63 hz in my room which the older ones do not.

Upper bass is clearly stronger and more impactful on the new speakers. Deep male vocals and stand up bass sound better on the new ones by a small margin. I suspect Magnepan has tuned the speaker to emphasize mid and upper bass at the expense of low bass.

Mids are cleaner and less glaring on the new.

Treble may be a bit better on the new. May be.

The old ones are more dynamic. The new ones sound more relaxed.

Imaging and soundstaging are now about equal, but as above, I think the new ones are still improving with time. The new ones may have more substance in the imaging (rounder, more palpable instruments and singers).

By the way, I run mine via a pair of Emotiva XPA 100 amps, I supplement mid bass with DWM panels and I have a Rythmik sub for support on the foundation. I prefer mine 8 to ten feet out from the front wall.

In summary, old Maggies are a fantastic buy. And no I am not selling my old ones. I am not saying that someone won't enjoy upgrading. I would strongly recommend the greatest bang for the buck though is optimizing the positioning. A 27 year old model properly positioned smokes a new model positioned less effectively.
DonH50's Avatar DonH50
11:36 AM Liked: 308
post #3729 of 3922
08-18-2014 | Posts: 6,393
A 63 Hz null may be due to positioning of speakers or listener but may also be influenced by the phase relationship among the mains and the bass panels. If the crossover is different between the two models (highly likely) then that can change the frequency response at the listening position.

In the past I did not find break-in to take nearly so long, more like tens of hours instead of hundreds, and the major change wsa the bass -3 dB dropping slightly. A change of 8 dB sounds very suspicious, like something else changed or something else is going on. Could it be minor placement issues?
12:49 PM Liked: 12
post #3730 of 3922
08-19-2014 | Posts: 62
In comparing the speakers I am referencing differences between models when measured in the exact same spot(s). I have both sets and am continuing to listen and measure both in various locations.

I agree the 63 hz dip is probably position dependent and that I can find probably find a position closer to the front wall without the dip. I do not have a consistent 63 hz dip in the old ones.

After 400 hours I am pretty sure I am describing differences between old and new models, at least within my room with my positioning. The new models appear to be tuned for slightly more upper bass and considerably less lower bass. Considering the introduction of quality subs in the past twenty seven years, the marketing logic is probably sound. Their literature also reflects that new models have less low bass than their older ones.

The 63 hz issue is probably not a factor for others either. Most people don't run Maggies eight to ten feet from the front walls. My assumption is that Magnepan tunes the speakers for the average user not me. I would if I was them.

If anyone is interested in my running comparisons of them set up conventionally (four feet or so from FW) I would be glad to do so. My guess is that the improvements of the new model over the old would be more noticeable in a more conventional position.
pandy4's Avatar pandy4
07:56 AM Liked: 11
post #3731 of 3922
08-20-2014 | Posts: 63
Has anyone on this forum modified the MMGS?
DonH50's Avatar DonH50
12:44 PM Liked: 308
post #3732 of 3922
08-20-2014 | Posts: 6,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Kook View Post
In comparing the speakers I am referencing differences between models when measured in the exact same spot(s). I have both sets and am continuing to listen and measure both in various locations.

I agree the 63 hz dip is probably position dependent and that I can find probably find a position closer to the front wall without the dip. I do not have a consistent 63 hz dip in the old ones.

After 400 hours I am pretty sure I am describing differences between old and new models, at least within my room with my positioning. The new models appear to be tuned for slightly more upper bass and considerably less lower bass. Considering the introduction of quality subs in the past twenty seven years, the marketing logic is probably sound. Their literature also reflects that new models have less low bass than their older ones.

The 63 hz issue is probably not a factor for others either. Most people don't run Maggies eight to ten feet from the front walls. My assumption is that Magnepan tunes the speakers for the average user not me. I would if I was them.

If anyone is interested in my running comparisons of them set up conventionally (four feet or so from FW) I would be glad to do so. My guess is that the improvements of the new model over the old would be more noticeable in a more conventional position.
I was thinking if the crossover were different in the new speakers, which it probably is, then the phase relationship between subs and mains could be different and thus create a null that wasn't there before. That is, before the mains and subs worked together at 63 Hz (or whatever), and now they do not. If you can adjust the phase/delay of the subs relative to the mains that might fix the null.

Or you could just stick with your old ones; I haven't been able to justify replacing my ca. 1984 MG-IIIa's until they die, and they ain't dead yet!
DonH50's Avatar DonH50
12:46 PM Liked: 308
post #3733 of 3922
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy4 View Post
Has anyone on this forum modified the MMGS?
Bunch of tweaks listed on the MUG site: http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/M...aks/index.html
01:39 PM Liked: 12
post #3734 of 3922
08-20-2014 | Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
I was thinking if the crossover were different in the new speakers, which it probably is, then the phase relationship between subs and mains could be different and thus create a null that wasn't there before. That is, before the mains and subs worked together at 63 Hz (or whatever), and now they do not. If you can adjust the phase/delay of the subs relative to the mains that might fix the null.

Or you could just stick with your old ones; I haven't been able to justify replacing my ca. 1984 MG-IIIa's until they die, and they ain't dead yet!
Thanks Don! Excellent point.

I did think of it though, and the 63hz dip occurs with and without the DWMs and or the subs. I really do suspect that Magnepan has tuned the speaker to normal or traditional listening positions which reinforce this frequency. Just a theory.

I am real persnickety on smooth bass, but this dip is not in practice troubling to me at all.

I have certainly considered just keeping only my old speakers. That shows how close they are. Especially if I was to replace the crossover on the old and bi amp them. I think the results would be spectacular.

The other side of the coin though is that there is a midrange magic that the new ones have that really is enchanting. It is hard to describe, and I only notice it when I get the time alignment between the tweet and mid right (two in inches closer for the mids).

I certainly realize that my experiences are not generalizable. I do find the new three series slightly better in most ways with the clear exception of deep bass. Since I do have a sub, it is not a deal breaker for me. I am surprised that in 27 years the improvements are not more significant.
BDP24's Avatar BDP24
01:46 PM Liked: 59
post #3735 of 3922
08-20-2014 | Posts: 719
Hard-core Mag-O-Philes get Tympani IV's or IVa's and use just the two bass panels of them as woofers for their regular Maggies.
DonH50's Avatar DonH50
08:33 PM Liked: 308
post #3736 of 3922
I'm not that hard=core, though probably because I simply don't have the room. Actually, even those big Tymp's don't deliver clean low bass like a good sub, so I'll toddle along with what I have.

Regarding progress, the technology has been stable a long time and it's hard to imagine what would make a major difference. Going from standard panels to quasi-ribbon does not look like a huge change; significant perhaps, but not night and day. IMO! The limitation has always been generating enough magnetic field to provide large excursion, a problem ESL's have as well. I'm wishing those physicists would get off their rears and develop good room-temp superconductors and magnet structures that would allow a doubling or more in linear excursion.
grigorianvlad's Avatar grigorianvlad
08:07 PM Liked: 594
post #3737 of 3922
08-24-2014 | Posts: 1,327
Guys, I need some help here.
I am on my second week of using my 2.7s. There are great speakers, dont get me wrong, but there is something I am noticing. They are a bit veiled at midrange. Well, some of it. Vocals and wind instruments for example (a bit indistinct, toned down). Piano, strings sound almost perfect.
I keep comparing the sound to my previous speakers, the Polk LSiM 703s. Those didnt have this gigantic soundstage the Maggies create, but sounded perfect otherwise. Even though they were bookshelf speakers, they packed some punch in the upper bass range. The Maggies... I dont know. I know they are not for rock music or D&B, but even at some jazz they are a bit disappointing. Besides , they produce no bass at all. I dont care about the latter part - got subs for that, but this fact tells me there is something wrong.
I need some pointers . What could be wrong?
They dont appear to be damaged. There is no buzzing at any volume. May be they need cleaning?
What are the signs that they need cleaning or rewiring?
Here they are, BTW:

DonH50's Avatar DonH50
08:22 PM Liked: 308
post #3738 of 3922
08-24-2014 | Posts: 6,393
Hard to see why piano in the midrange sounds perfect but vocals in the same range do not. And, my boys love rock on mine as much as I like jazz. Sounds like placement and/or room issues. Try playing with the toe-in, distance from wall behind, and distance to listening position. They are dipoles and thus less sensitive to side walls and ceiling/floor but more sensitive to the wall behind. Note small physical changes in placement may lead to big sonic changes.
08:41 PM Liked: 594
post #3739 of 3922
08-24-2014 | Posts: 1,327
Quote:
Hard to see why piano in the midrange sounds perfect but vocals in the same range do not. And, my boys love rock on mine as much as I like jazz. Sounds like placement and/or room issues. Try playing with the toe-in, distance from wall behind, and distance to listening position. They are dipoles and thus less sensitive to side walls and ceiling/floor but more sensitive to the wall behind. Note small physical changes in placement may lead to big sonic changes.
Thanks, Don50. I was wondering about this discrepancy myself. But it is there nonetheless. I have to adjust equalization at 1kHz (voice frequency) by 4-5dB, but then it sounds unnatural.
I've played with toe-in and tried placing them 4 feet from the wall. Did that a week ago. It did improve the sound but not by much. I still think it isnt the positioning, it has something to do with Maggies themselves - either all of the 2.7s or my particular pair. I have no point of reference (meaning this is the first pair of ANY Maggies I've ever heard, I dont know HOW they supposed to sound like). Chances are if someone else will listen to them they will say "nope, these sound great". Which means my expectations are unrealistic. Or may be it is a defective pair.
I am seriously thinking of running them in parallel with the LSiM 705s I've enjoyed so much. Granted, those didnt so so big, but midrange was crystal clear, every instrument was vivid and distinct at the same time. With the Maggies - not so much.
Is there a way to check for ungluing or other defects without taking them apart? Can you hear any defects from the video I posted above (I realize its a compressed Youtube crap, but still...)
DonH50's Avatar DonH50
09:05 PM Liked: 308
post #3740 of 3922
08-24-2014 | Posts: 6,393
Delamination causes a raspy buzzing sort of sound. A blown fuse will take out the mid/tweeter panels. A blown crossover (something I don't think I've seen in Maggies) might cause weird frequency response. I sort-of suspect the Polk's had a more "forward" midrange than the Maggies so the 2.7's sound sucked-out. But, having a good set of ears check them out would be a good idea. If you move forward a foot or three does the problem go away?

I can't listen to YouTube at this time so wasn't able to hear, sorry; hopefully somebody else will chime in.
pandy4's Avatar pandy4
04:46 AM Liked: 11
post #3741 of 3922
08-25-2014 | Posts: 63
Quote:
Thanks, Don50. I was wondering about this discrepancy myself. But it is there nonetheless. I have to adjust equalization at 1kHz (voice frequency) by 4-5dB, but then it sounds unnatural.
I've played with toe-in and tried placing them 4 feet from the wall. Did that a week ago. It did improve the sound but not by much. I still think it isnt the positioning, it has something to do with Maggies themselves - either all of the 2.7s or my particular pair. I have no point of reference (meaning this is the first pair of ANY Maggies I've ever heard, I dont know HOW they supposed to sound like). Chances are if someone else will listen to them they will say "nope, these sound great". Which means my expectations are unrealistic. Or may be it is a defective pair.
I am seriously thinking of running them in parallel with the LSiM 705s I've enjoyed so much. Granted, those didnt so so big, but midrange was crystal clear, every instrument was vivid and distinct at the same time. With the Maggies - not so much.
Is there a way to check for ungluing or other defects without taking them apart? Can you hear any defects from the video I posted above (I realize its a compressed Youtube crap, but still...)

Have you tried playing them without the Torch Lamps behind them? They seem kind of close.
06:45 AM Liked: 594
post #3742 of 3922
08-25-2014 | Posts: 1,327
Yes, played them without the torchlights. Makes no difference.
It drives me nuts. I think DonH50 is right. The Polks were indeed "forward" in terms of midrange.
But still, there is something else with these speakers. I just played test signals from a CD after removing subs from configuration.
16hz to 31hz - no sound at all. 40hz - 60hz: barely audible. It is only at 125 hz I begin to hear something that remotely reminds of bass tones. I dont expect the Maggies to have earth shattering bass, but if there is something wrong with bass, everything else is affected as well probably.
The 2,700W subs take care of the bass. But they cant play midrange, and that is my beef for the most part.
Two questions.
1) What are the signs of aging Maggies? This pair is 15 years old probably. With my other cone speakers signs of wearing down were different , tweeters mumbling or bass driver farting like they eat burritos for breakfast. How do Maggies age, sound-wise?
2) Should I try cleaning them or repairing their wiring? They look great. The cloth looks aged from close up, but there are no stains or anything. I tried to look at those wires with very bright light through the cloth and there is no discoloration or gunk like I saw on youtube videos. The units appear to be in great shape, apart from the sonic issues.
pandy4's Avatar pandy4
06:51 AM Liked: 11
post #3743 of 3922
I wonder how much Magnepan charges to repair them to original condition?
ss9001's Avatar ss9001
07:05 AM Liked: 347
post #3744 of 3922
08-25-2014 | Posts: 8,728
Quote:
Delamination causes a raspy buzzing sort of sound. A blown fuse will take out the mid/tweeter panels.
agreed. happened to me this summer with one of my MC-1 panels I use as surrounds. we were watching Catching Fire (Hunger Games 2) and I kept noticing some buzzing in one speaker. I was playing it loud, and since there are no user-accessible fuses, it blew the quasi-ribbon grid. actually looked like sections of several foil-wire sections were melted looking thru the grille cloth. to be honest, I think the introductory DTS "demo" at the beginning of the disc caused it because it didn't buzz before then and that demo was about 10 dB louder than the disc soundtrack (at least I had to turn the volume down about that much and then turn it back again for the movie)

but it's very audible, raspy buzzing is apt description.

got a new pair of speakers.
DonH50's Avatar DonH50
07:26 AM Liked: 308
post #3745 of 3922
08-25-2014 | Posts: 6,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy4 View Post
I wonder how much Magnepan charges to repair them to original condition?
When I got a quote to refurbish my old MG-IIIa's a few years ago to was <20% the cost of a new pair. Haven't done yet as they still work, but generally IME Magnepan's repair rates have been very reasonable. Call and ask: 1-800-474-1646 Monday to Friday from 8 AM to 4PM CT (USA).
pandy4's Avatar pandy4
07:34 AM Liked: 11
post #3746 of 3922
The company is pretty slow with orders. I ordered MMGs on August 12, they still haven't shipped. Tomorrow will be two weeks and I called them Friday and they said they "may" go out today. I bid on a pair of used SMGs that are on ebay, possibly to use as surrounds or a dual center channel, I went as high as $261.11 (with the shipping) and I got outbid, so these speakers certainly hold their value well, the ones in the ebay ad look pretty rough. I went as high as I could, no sense spending more when I could get two new MMG W's for $325.
DonH50's Avatar DonH50
12:22 PM Liked: 308
post #3747 of 3922
08-25-2014 | Posts: 6,393
It's a small company and they probably build in batches. Plus August is the #1 vacation month in the USA so they have had people out.

Lead time for microwave cables we use at work is often 8 - 12 weeks.
ss9001's Avatar ss9001
01:06 PM Liked: 347
post #3748 of 3922
08-25-2014 | Posts: 8,728
Quote:
When I got a quote to refurbish my old MG-IIIa's a few years ago to was <20% the cost of a new pair.
I don't know if the repair cost for delam is model specific but I was given between $350-550 as an estimate to work with (they encouraged me to send in both for evaluation). Magnepan evaluates what's needed once they have the speakers and gives you a firm cost for approval.

Since new MC-1's are $800/pr, it just made sense to me to order a new pair thru local dealer. If this had happened to one of my 3.6's, there's no question I would have done the repair: $500 vs $5000 new is a no-brainer
01:58 PM Liked: 594
post #3749 of 3922
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post
I don't know if the repair cost for delam is model specific but I was given between $350-550 as an estimate to work with (they encouraged me to send in both for evaluation). Magnepan evaluates what's needed once they have the speakers and gives you a firm cost for approval.

Since new MC-1's are $800/pr, it just made sense to me to order a new pair thru local dealer. If this had happened to one of my 3.6's, there's no question I would have done the repair: $500 vs $5000 new is a no-brainer
Interesting. That estimate excludes shipping, right? For me shipping is $250 one way or $500 both ways. So, a grand?
08:39 PM Liked: 594
post #3750 of 3922
This is crazy, but I think I found the reason for my 2.7s sounding funny. My complaint was some instruments and vocals being veiled, indistinct.
Believe it or not the problem was not with the speakers, AVR or power amp. The problem was with PC settings.
Most of my music is on a 4TB haddrive. It is remastered to 5.1 surround *.dtshd (DTS-HD MASTER AUDIO).
So, naturally the PC audio settings were set to optimal surround sound. I tested and retested the settings 5 times with my previous speakers, Polk LSiM 703s. For some reason the Maggies have a problem with those settings. The second I changed the settings sound opened up.
Here are the changed settings.
1) Changed Speaker Setup from 5.1 to Stereo
2) Disabled all enhancements (LOudness, Room Equalization)
3) Bumped up sample rate and bit rate (going higher , to 192khz 24 bit for example, made the sound worse)
So, the issue with midrange is almost resolved. I say almost because the previous speakers were sounding bright in midrange. The Maggies are more laid back. That is not an issue but a preference. I may grow out of this preference , given time.
The problem with bass still persists. But like I said previously the subs are handling low frequencies. They are more than capable of pumping enough bass to move furniture around the house.
I've heard the 2.7s are 3 way speakers. I can see the tweeter strings and midrange. Where is the bass driver then?
Attached: 1_speaker_setup.png (76.3 KB)  2_enhancement.png (65.0 KB)  3_bit_sample_depth.png (52.5 KB) 
Tags: Magnepan , Magnepan Mmg , Magnepan Mini Maggie System , Magnepan Mg 1 7 , Magnepan Mg 3 7

Reply Speakers

Subscribe to this Thread