17Likes
post #3751 of 3757 Old 08-25-2014, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Look here: http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/M.../speakers.html

2.7 are three-way speakers with planer-dynamic woofer and midrange plus quasi-ribbon tweeter, which is essentially a modified planer-dynamic section. All three sections will look pretty similar and it may be hard to tell the difference without taking the socks off. the tweeter will be just a strand or three at the edge of the midrange panel. The easiest way is to put your ear right up to the m (do not play loudly!) and move across. you will hear the transition from bass to mids to highs.
grigorianvlad likes this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3752 of 3757 Old 08-27-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Another question. When would you place tweeters on outer side, as opposed to inner? I suppose outer makes more sense if they are close to each other
post #3753 of 3757 Old 08-27-2014, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 307
It's whatever you prefer in the sound you are receiving. I found placing the ribbon tweeter on the outside worked better for the sound I wanted. Others prefer the ribbon tweeter on the inside. My speakers are spaced a little over 5-feet away from each other (from inner edge to inner edge) and about 7-feet from center to center.
post #3754 of 3757 Old 08-28-2014, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by grigorianvlad View Post
Another question. When would you place tweeters on outer side, as opposed to inner? I suppose outer makes more sense if they are close to each other
Here are some other considerations on tweets in or out with Maggies.

1) there is the issue of side wall reinforcement. In a relatively narrow room, the side walls can reinforce the bass and reflect the highs. Thus woofers out can lead to substantially more upper or mid bass. Tweets out can run into imaging problems if too close, especially with minimal toe in. Thus, tweets in or out can lead to substantially different sounds in a narrower room.

2). Tweets out obviously stretches the imaging. In a narrow arrangement this is probably very desirable or even necessary. However, once the speakers are fairly widely separated it seems to also stretch the images of individual instruments and singers, all else equal. In other words, it can fatten the individual images. This may be desirable or not. In general, again all else equal, tweets in tends to lead to more pinpoint imaging and tweets out to larger images. Some suggest tweets out also stretches the listening seat sweet spot, which may be a consideration in HT.

3). Tweets in vs out is also related to toe in. The degree of toe in influences frequency response, timing between highs and lows, and as above wall reflections (lots of toe in reduces side wall bounce of high frequency.) It also changes the balance between direct sound and the reflected sound off the front wall. Finally, toe in can influence bass, as lots of toe in excites side to side bass waves, while little toe in excites primarily just the front to back.

Toe in relates to tweets in or out in that optimal toe in for your room and tastes is going to differ, potentially dramatically whether you go in or out. Tweets in usually or at least conventionally* calls for substantially more toe in.

IMO, there are benefits in getting proper time alignment between bass, mids and highs (with the recommendation usually being to put the bass closest to the listener and the tweets furthest) In my room this means I need about a 45 degree toe in for tweets in, but very little toe in for tweets out. Again though there are lots of tradeoffs.

There are also interesting tradeoffs with the balance between direct and front wall bounce. With no toe in, in my room I reduce the direct upper midrange, and simultaneously increase the midrange energy bouncing off the front wall. This pulls the image toward the front wall and away from the speaker and leads to an extremely pleasant holographic imaging and depth. But at the cost of changes (positive or negative) of midrange balance.

Tweets in or out is extremely complex and both room and preference dependent. I have gone both ways, but when adjusting it changes all kinds of parameters.

Hope this helps.

* consider googling "Limage" or "Roose" for some of the many non conventional Maggie set ups or toe in recommendations.
stustan and dsrussell like this.
post #3755 of 3757 Old 08-28-2014, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I've always wondered why Megnepan does not put the tweeter in the center and split the midrange and bass panels. Partly CTC issues I'm sure, but even if they did not want to split up the other panels they could do bass-tweeter-midrange or something like that. I think the answer given way back when was a combination of construction ease, technical, and desire to give folk the option of tweeters in or out since customers seemed fairly evenly split on the issue.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #3756 of 3757 Old Today, 04:41 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I got my MMGs Friday. I have them wired into a Rotel amp that puts out 240W at 4ohm and the amp is wired into my Marantz SR5005 AVR's pre outs. I also have an Adcom amp I'm going to test. My wife and I are going to make some stands for the speakers. At first you could only hear both speakers if you were sitting in the middle seat but then I just moved the speakers closer to the center a few inches and now they sound great.

The biggest difference to me is when playing regular cds. SACD's and the other high grade discs I've played sounded great on my Def Tech speakers, and sound great on these, but the improvement in some regular cds is striking. Last night, for instance, we were playing the Beatle's Rubber Soul remaster and it sounded like a SACD. I've never it sound like that, we were amazed. Even though the Def Tech's are also dipole speakers, the maggies produce a more spacious sound. As for the bass, it seems that the cds that have excellent bass and are well recorded, like Michael Jackson's Thiller, Steely Dan, the bass is pretty good on the MMGs. But, I ordered two Martin Logan 300's subs to fill out the weaker stuff. I also tried using the built in subs on the Def Tech's and that worked surprisingly well, but I'm going to sell the Def Techs.

Overall, on some songs, the Def Techs are more dynamic, especially heavier rock songs, but once I hook up the two subs, the MMGs should play those heavy rock songs well. But, on the softer music there is no comparison, these are by far the best speakers I've ever had and they sound like much more expensive speakers.
post #3757 of 3757 Unread Today, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Glad you like them! They are a different experience than most speakers. Placement is critical and can take a bit to dial in, as you have discovered, but well worth the effort.

IMO! - Don

Reply Speakers

Tags
Magnepan , Magnepan Mmg , Magnepan Mini Maggie System , Magnepan Mg 1 7 , Magnepan Mg 3 7

User Tag List