Forum Jump: 
 25Likes

post #3811 of 3828 Old 09-16-2014, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I guess I equate slam with the sound of Home Theatre-style speakers, those with a forward perspective and an elevated upper-bass and presence region, even if they are used for music reproduction. To me slam means physical impact on the body, which implies pretty loud listening levels; both of which---physical impact and very loud listening levels---are among the weaknesses of Planars. For me, one of the things I liked most about the first pair of Maggies I heard and then owned (the Tympani I-U) was the character of their upper-bass; huge waves of bass articulation coming from those three 72" X 16" screens per side. Way more slam to me than that produced by a relatively small diaphragm cone woofer.
dsrussell likes this.

Last edited by BDP24; 09-16-2014 at 10:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3812 of 3828 Old 09-16-2014, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 334
I thought the same thing with my 3.6's. What bass it could produce (down to perhaps 35 Hz) was unique to any other speaker I have auditioned. It felt like a wave slamming, instead of a punch. When adding a subwoofer, I did not want to lose that wave, so crossed over lower than most.
post #3813 of 3828 Old 09-17-2014, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 195
I can't imagine running two sets of mains would give good stereo imaging. It seems like you would have a dog's breakfast on the front stage.
grigorianvlad likes this.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #3814 of 3828 Old 09-17-2014, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post
I can't imagine running two sets of mains would give good stereo imaging. It seems like you would have a dog's breakfast on the front stage.
They sound great. Much better than either Maggies or the Polks by themselves. Like I said before, except for the treble (which toned down now) both pairs complement each other. It sounds as one pair of speakers with excellent imaging and soundstage.
Cardiff Kook likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3815 of 3828 Old 09-17-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 334
^^ Congratulations in finding the solution that works for you. That is all that is important. Enjoy!
post #3816 of 3828 Old 09-17-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
^^ Congratulations in finding the solution that works for you. That is all that is important. Enjoy!
Couldn't agree more. That is all that matters. Thank you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3817 of 3828 Old 09-17-2014, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Ditto!

I do find it ironic that, after decades of hearing about the "Maggie slam", I find out they have no slam...

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #3818 of 3828 Old 09-23-2014, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question to people with maggie theaters that are using full range maggies in front and small maggies for center and surround. Do you run your fronts full range with the subwoofer set to off on your AVR/processor and sub hooked up to L/R output like Magnepan recommends or do you cross over all your speakers to a sub using the bass management system on your processor as you typically would?

I have a set up consisting of 4x MC1s for fronts an surrounds and a CC3 with an Epik Empire doing bass duties. I have all my maggies set to cross over at 120hz as thats about as low as they go with any oomph. I enjoy the sound, but Ive never really been able to get the sub to blend with the fronts, especially the center. I was reading the manual for the CC3 and noticed Magnepan recommends setting it up with large fronts and routing the bass info from the center to the fronts instead of the sub in order to get a proper soundstage.

This has me thinking about replacing my front MC1s with 1.6s or 1.7s and running them full range but I see some disadvantages to going this way as well. The biggest is that I am asking a lot more from my amp playing the fronts full range, and they will not be as clean below say 60hz as my subwoofer. Because I want to route bass info from my center to my fronts I would have set my processor to no sub which means would also loose bass management on my avr including Audyssey and its EQ and timing adjustments and would have to do those manually. I would probably loose some mid bass and bass impact, but if the overall sound is more coherent that might not be a bad thing.

On a side note. Will an Emotiva xpa5 (350wpc@4ohms) be able to drive a pair of 1.6s full range in addition to a CC3 and two MC1s crossed over at 120-150hz?

If anyone has experimented with this or gone one way or the other please let me know what you found. Thanks!
post #3819 of 3828 Old 09-23-2014, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I did not like Magnepan's advice (one of the few times I have disagreed with them). Planer speakers do poorly with high-volume LF content. That said, 120 Hz is a fairly high crossover.

What I do is to use a stereo pair of subs and an active crossover. To the AVR, the L/R speakers (old MG-IIIa's) are "large" and there is no sub in the system. I cross over around 50 - 60 Hz (this comes up every time there's a question like this, and I can never remember where I finally set the crossover), with the high output to an amp to the mains, and low output to the subs. My center is a CC3 and I have niot noticed problems. However, I am fairly tolerant of the soundstage during movies, usually watching the picture.

One big issue with subs is getting the phasing right, especially at the crossover point, to avoid a "hole" in the sound right at the crossover. Your AVR should do that for you, but you could try playing with the phase knob on the sub, if you have one, or distance setting in the AVR to see if you achieve better balance.

An XPA5 will have no problems; I use one to drive all but the main L/R speakers in my 7.x system. Before that, when I had a 5.x setup, it powered them all (MG-IIIIa's, CC3, MC1's) with no problems.

I think you would really like the upgrade to 1.6/1.7, assuming you have the space for them and/or are willing to treat the wall behind them.

FWIWFM - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #3820 of 3828 Old 09-23-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
I did not like Magnepan's advice (one of the few times I have disagreed with them). Planer speakers do poorly with high-volume LF content. That said, 120 Hz is a fairly high crossover.

What I do is to use a stereo pair of subs and an active crossover. To the AVR, the L/R speakers (old MG-IIIa's) are "large" and there is no sub in the system. I cross over around 50 - 60 Hz (this comes up every time there's a question like this, and I can never remember where I finally set the crossover), with the high output to an amp to the mains, and low output to the subs. My center is a CC3 and I have niot noticed problems. However, I am fairly tolerant of the soundstage during movies, usually watching the picture.

One big issue with subs is getting the phasing right, especially at the crossover point, to avoid a "hole" in the sound right at the crossover. Your AVR should do that for you, but you could try playing with the phase knob on the sub, if you have one, or distance setting in the AVR to see if you achieve better balance.

An XPA5 will have no problems; I use one to drive all but the main L/R speakers in my 7.x system. Before that, when I had a 5.x setup, it powered them all (MG-IIIIa's, CC3, MC1's) with no problems.

I think you would really like the upgrade to 1.6/1.7, assuming you have the space for them and/or are willing to treat the wall behind them.

FWIWFM - Don
Planer speakers do poorly with high-volume LF content. That said, 120 Hz is a fairly high crossover.
This was my main concern.

That said, 120 Hz is a fairly high crossover.
Agreed, but 100-120hz is about the bottom end for the CC3 and MC1s in my room. If I go any lower I ended up with a hole between them and the subwoofer. Where go you cross your CC3 over?

This is another concern I have. My room has a large opening in the front left corner of the room (a hallway leading to another room) so my left speaker would be firing down that hallway while the right would have a wall 3-4 ft behind it which I know is not ideal. I deal with this with my MC1s also, but Im not sure if it would be more noticeable with the 1.6s. Audyssey does a surprisingly good job correcting for this with the MC1s but its still not perfect.
post #3821 of 3828 Old 09-23-2014, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I have no idea what frequency my CC3 is crossed at -- I let the AVR do it and have not looked for ages. My setup is pretty close and the mains are near the center so I don't notice the lack of bass. One advantage of a small'ish room. Or so I tell myself. I tweaked the crossover for the mains/subs using measurements and listening (mostly measurements, listening to verify it sounded good). My subs do have a continuous phase knob so I was able to align everything pretty nicely. Nor am I sure where the MC1's are crossed, but my Pioneer uses a global crossover so they are crossed at the same frequency as the center. One reason I went with my more complex system.

The MC1's are designed to be wall-mounted for bass reinforcement (mine are actually on stands but scooted next to walls). If one is firing into a hallway, it will be lacking in bass. But also lacking in comb filter effects, a trade. Of my four, two fire into the wall and two into panels. I don't really notice any issues, but since they are surrounds/rears and not mains, I probably wouldn't.

If you could mount absorption panels on the wall behind the right speaker, it would more closely match the left, and imaging would probably improve. You could also mount a panel on a stand behind the left Maggie to better match the midrange and up. Not a whole lot you can do about the bass. The 1.x will provide more bass than the MC1's, natch (they reach down another octave), as well as provide a larger sound stage.

If you get the bigger (1.x) panels, they may help reinforce the center and make the lack of center bass less noticeable. Another approach would be to add DWM panels, but that gets pricey.

Finally, you could certainly try wiring your system per Magnepan's recommendation. It may work for your situation, though since all three speakers (L/R MC1's and CC3) have comparable LF response it might not help.

post #3822 of 3828 Old 09-25-2014, 10:52 PM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickwin View Post
Question to people with maggie theaters that are using full range maggies in front and small maggies for center and surround. Do you run your fronts full range with the subwoofer set to off on your AVR/processor and sub hooked up to L/R output like Magnepan recommends or do you cross over all your speakers to a sub using the bass management system on your processor as you typically would?

I have a set up consisting of 4x MC1s for fronts an surrounds and a CC3 with an Epik Empire doing bass duties. I have all my maggies set to cross over at 120hz as thats about as low as they go with any oomph. I enjoy the sound, but Ive never really been able to get the sub to blend with the fronts, especially the center. I was reading the manual for the CC3 and noticed Magnepan recommends setting it up with large fronts and routing the bass info from the center to the fronts instead of the sub in order to get a proper soundstage.

This has me thinking about replacing my front MC1s with 1.6s or 1.7s and running them full range but I see some disadvantages to going this way as well. The biggest is that I am asking a lot more from my amp playing the fronts full range, and they will not be as clean below say 60hz as my subwoofer. Because I want to route bass info from my center to my fronts I would have set my processor to no sub which means would also loose bass management on my avr including Audyssey and its EQ and timing adjustments and would have to do those manually. I would probably loose some mid bass and bass impact, but if the overall sound is more coherent that might not be a bad thing.

On a side note. Will an Emotiva xpa5 (350wpc@4ohms) be able to drive a pair of 1.6s full range in addition to a CC3 and two MC1s crossed over at 120-150hz?

If anyone has experimented with this or gone one way or the other please let me know what you found. Thanks!
I have a dedicated almost all Maggie Theater/Music room that consists of 1.7's for the LR, CC5/DWM combo for the center, MC1's for the surrounds and a Rythmik F12 for the sub. An Emotiva XPA-5 originally drove all the Maggies. After a few months, as an experiment, I purchased an Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2 to drive the 1.7's. I was curious how the 1.7's would sound when playing 2 channel music being driven by an amplifier with more power.

The XPA-2 Gen2 was a not a revelation in terms of immediate and obvious improvement, however, the subtle improvement in the 1.7's presentation was worth the price of admission. The 1.7's gained a relaxed refinement in terms of "dynamic expression", a clearer delineation of simultaneous sounds loud and soft. I would reword it as such: The dynamic contrasts were more apparent. The sound stage grew a touch wider and deeper with a greater sense of acoustic space as well as a better defined "spacial boundary" between instruments. Instruments had a bit more "roundness and body" than before. Overall tonal balance was nearly unaffected.

The biggest upgrade the XPA-2 Gen 2 brought to my Theater/Music room was in the theatrical realm. The improvement in my center channel (CC5/DWM combo) was profound. Freeing up the XPA-5 from driving the entire Maggie ensemble allowed my center channel to find it's voice ….. finally. The CC5/DWM instantly became firm and authoritative in its presentation, no longer thin, restricted, and recessed. It was a revelatory transformation, so much so that I was finally able to find an ideal placement that eliminated a slightly "phasey" interaction between the CC5, the DWM, and the LR's. That was the "Deal Keeper"…..I now had a center channel that spoke with authority, detail, anchoring a LCR that seamlessly stretched wall to wall.

I never suspected my XPA-5 was "running out of steam". It never exhibited any audible signs of stress, never felt hotter than warm. I was quite happy with my system for two channel playback and merely satisfied (but frustrated) with my system theatrically due to my center channel's "thinness". I am mentioning all of the preceding because I think an XPA-5 amplifier is a beefier, and a more robust amplifier than you will find in the vast majority of AVR's. I don't think many AVR's can drive an all Maggie surround system to satisfying levels and a believable and enjoyable "aural presentation". I strongly recommend (based upon my experience) you consider an XPA-5 or any of a number of high current/high wattage amplifiers. Later, you might want to purchase a dedicated two channel amp for your system, as I did.

I do not run my Maggies full range. I experiment sometimes running my 1.7's full range, no sub, when listening to music without deep low end. I invariably return to bass management as I love the honest tactile feel of my Rythmik's and how they support the foundation of music. A properly set up sub can add the "weight of the acoustic space" in those recordings that presents a realistic acoustic environment. Proper theatrical playback/presentation is another beast and, in my opinion, a sub is a necessity with any type of speaker.

My crossover points are as follows. Music playback: I fiddle with the crossover at 40 <-> 55 Hz, the majority of the time 55Hz. Theatrically my crossovers are 55Hz for the 1.7's, 60Hz for the CC5/DWM combo (I just had a thought to try them full range as a lark! But only on a dialog driven movie!), and 80Hz for my MC-1's surrounds.

I tried the Magnepan recommended Center/LR scheme for about 3 months and while I found the tonal balance to be superb there was, in my room/system, an interaction that drew my attention and disturbed my concentration and enjoyment. The problem that I gradually became aware of was the lack of image focus, solidity, and stability the center channel presented. Any voice or sound that was below the 200Hz limit of my CC5 no longer had the same image width of those sounds above 200Hz radiating from the CC5. In other words the lower frequency center channel info was playing as phantom center from my 1.7's and that phantom image width was wider than the CC5's image width. A male voice or sound effect began to stretch in width as the frequency dropped. I abandoned the Magnepan Center/LR scheme and tried using traditional bass management and crossing the CC5 at 200Hz to my sub but that experiment/listening session lasted less than 5 minutes!!

Purchasing the DWM to support my CC5 effectively made my center channel "full range" 40Hz to 20kHz. This completely and immediately cured the problem of my frequency dependent center channel varying stage width. It also anchored and solidifeid the "center" of the LCR image. Sounds that were meant to be heard from the center did not wander towards the LR 1.7's. I returned to traditional bass management crossing my CC5/DWM to my sub at 60Hz. My processor is a decently behaved Emotiva UMC-1.

I agree with Don…..I always seem to agree with Don……try a pair of 1.6 or 1.7's for you LR's. They will mate well with your CC3, which I believe digs way deeper than my CC5 without the DWM. I believe the large paneled Maggies and your CC3 will throw a more coherent LCR than MC1's and a CC3…again my opinion only.

It is my belief, again my belief only, that the large panel Maggies, due to their larger radiating area throws a greater "wavefront" at you. It is my belief that this greater rush of "air" enveloping you acts as a 'reminder" of what we experience when we hear and "feel" the world in our everyday interactions. This "wavefront" adds a sense of "familiar realism" fooling our senses somewhat ...… and that allows us to cross the threshold of reality and be fooled into believing what we are hearing is real….allowing us to experience a musical event or a film….allowing us to be transported vicariously without distractions ….. allowing us to see/hear/feel our movies and our music.

We merely listen when the audio is sub-par…..we are transported when the audio is superb.

I apologize profusely for the abundance of words……but I feel like I am amongst friends here.
Beto3645, nickwin and dsrussell like this.

Magnepan 1.7's (LR)
Magnepan CC5/DWM (Center Channel)
Magnepan MC1's (Surrounds)
Rythmik F12 (Sub)
Emotiva UMC-1 (Processor)
Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2 Drives the 1.7's
Emotiva XPA-5 Drives the Center and Surrounds
Oppo BDP-103

Last edited by stustan; 09-26-2014 at 08:14 AM.
post #3823 of 3828 Old 09-26-2014, 04:05 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I just put together a system with 6 magnepan speakers, two new mmgs in the front, two new mmgw's on the wall for dual centers, two old smg's for back surrounds, and two martin logan dynamo 330 subs.

So far it seems to be that music sounds better with the two front speakers set to large. The subs still produce bass and round out the bass nicely whether I have the crossover set to 60 or 80hz. When I set the fronts to small, which I do for movies and tv, the bass seems too loud even with these small subs. I guess I could go in and lower the subs but then every time I switch from movies to music I'd have to change the sub settings where it's easier to go in and just change the fronts from small to large.

Overall, I'm really happy with the maggies. The 5.1 for music is great and very good for movies, even without large subwoofers. The Martin Logan subs produce a nice clean bass line and blend in well. For stereo, with the mmgs set to large, I've found that many regular cds sound much better than they did with other speakers I had, even when I play them through my Sony 400 disc changer. When I use my Oppo BDP103, they sound a little better than the Sony, but both sound good. 5.1 music sounds great.

I've always had speakers with built in subs, the last were Def Techs, and they were great for rock and movies but with this system I can enjoy softer music like jazz and it makes a big difference with the cleaner sound.

All 6 of the Magnepan speakers are plugged into a Rotel RB-985 5 channel THX amp which is routed through the pre outs on my Marantz SR5005.
post #3824 of 3828 Old 09-26-2014, 08:10 AM

Wow, AWESOME post stustan! So much good info in there its still sinking in. Iv been thinking about adding a separate amp for my CC3 as it seems to want more power than the xpa5 is giving it. After reading your post I think that might be my next move. I think I might add an Emotiva XPA1L (500 watts into 4ohm) for the center and hopefully that will add some fullness to the center and also will free up a little extra current for my fronts as well.

I'm also looking for a used pair of 1.6s if anyone has a pair for sale.
post #3825 of 3828 Old 09-26-2014, 08:32 AM

Sounds like a plan (pun intended), Go for it! Let us all know how it is working out!

Magnepan 1.7's (LR)
Rythmik F12 (Sub)
Oppo BDP-103
post #3826 of 3828 Old 09-26-2014, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I am amazed you heard such a difference going from XPA-5 to XPA-2. I have gone from XPA-3, to XPA-5, back to my Pioneer SC-27 (no amps), and now XPA-5 plus XPA-2, but did not notice much if any difference among all the trades. However, I have a different set-up in a different room and sit pretty close to my speakers (~8', ~2.5 m).

The CC3 claims 80 Hz, the CC5 (and CCR) 200 Hz. Not sure I really believe 80 Hz in my system, but 100 Hz or so is good enough for me. I have not heard a CC5 (and may never now that my nearest dealer has gone out of business ). I really wanted a CCR but (a) could not justify the price and (b) decided I would really have to get a Speaker-Stand to supplement the bass and get that last octave back (adding to the cost). Like stustan, of course , I found the discontinuity across the front stage vexing with the higher low end of the CCR/CC5.

Every time I have run my Maggies full-range, from the 1980's through today, I have been dissatisfied and gone back to rolling off the panels and letting my sub do the deep bass work. That was true long before HT was around. At least now AVRs make it much easier. Planer speakers (planer dynamic, ESL, or ribbon -- all that I have heard) IMO/IME just do not have the excursion to produce deep bass, whether explosions, kick drum, or kettle drum, and their distortion rises rapidly at LF (you'd be shocked, but then you'd be shocked at how much distortion most speakers, any type, produce at say 50 Hz and 100 dB). I should note that I do prefer the larger panels (mine are MG-IIIa's, rated to 35 Hz) and tend to use a crossover in the 50 - 60 Hz range, a bit lower than the 80 Hz standard.

post #3827 of 3828 Old 09-26-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
I am amazed you heard such a difference going from XPA-5 to XPA-2. I have gone from XPA-3, to XPA-5, back to my Pioneer SC-27 (no amps), and now XPA-5 plus XPA-2, but did not notice much if any difference among all the trades. However, I have a different set-up in a different room and sit pretty close to my speakers (~8', ~2.5 m).

The CC3 claims 80 Hz, the CC5 (and CCR) 200 Hz. Not sure I really believe 80 Hz in my system, but 100 Hz or so is good enough for me. I have not heard a CC5 (and may never now that my nearest dealer has gone out of business ). I really wanted a CCR but (a) could not justify the price and (b) decided I would really have to get a Speaker-Stand to supplement the bass and get that last octave back (adding to the cost). Like stustan, of course , I found the discontinuity across the front stage vexing with the higher low end of the CCR/CC5.

Every time I have run my Maggies full-range, from the 1980's through today, I have been dissatisfied and gone back to rolling off the panels and letting my sub do the deep bass work. That was true long before HT was around. At least now AVRs make it much easier. Planer speakers (planer dynamic, ESL, or ribbon -- all that I have heard) IMO/IME just do not have the excursion to produce deep bass, whether explosions, kick drum, or kettle drum, and their distortion rises rapidly at LF (you'd be shocked, but then you'd be shocked at how much distortion most speakers, any type, produce at say 50 Hz and 100 dB). I should note that I do prefer the larger panels (mine are MG-IIIa's, rated to 35 Hz) and tend to use a crossover in the 50 - 60 Hz range, a bit lower than the 80 Hz standard.
Just to clarify Don, the differences I heard were subtle when listening to 2 channel music. The biggest difference was when I listened in 5.1 and the CC5/DWM suddenly rose up and found it's footing….so to speak. I am no electronic whiz but a good part of me believes that the CC5/DWM presents a difficult load at the single center channel output of my XPA-5. When I called Magnepan to tell them about my fix I got an answer of a 3 ohm or less impedance for the CC5/DWM combo. That combined with all the other channels being fed to the Maggies might be the culprit.

Alas who really knows….sometimes it is just plain Zen Voodoo……all I know is that it got better and not more broken!!!

Magnepan 1.7's (LR)
Rythmik F12 (Sub)
Oppo BDP-103
post #3828 of 3828 Old 09-26-2014, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Ah, I'd forgotten about that. Yeah, they are both fairly low impedance (though do not vary too much), but at the crossover I wouldn't be surprised if the combo dipped to 2 ~ 3 ohms or even a bit lower, and there is a lot of content at that (frequency) point so you may have been driving them pretty hard. Or it could all be mental, but who cares? I was debating if I would use a stereo amp and electronic crossover or just connect them normally if I got the CCR/SS, and then debated if I should get a SS to go with my CC3, but ultimately the cost of kids'n'college made it all moot.

Onwards - Don

Aside: A friend of mine has a front of nice B&W's driven by three XPA-1's.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Magnepan , Magnepan Mmg , Magnepan Mini Maggie System , Magnepan Mg 1 7 , Magnepan Mg 3 7

User Tag List