Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #3811 of 3812 Old Today, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I guess I equate slam with the sound of Home Theatre-style speakers, those with a forward perspective and an elevated upper-bass and presence region, even if they are used for music reproduction. To me slam means physical impact on the body, which implies pretty loud listening levels; both of which---physical impact and very loud listening levels---are among the weaknesses of Planars. For me, one of the things I liked most about the first pair of Maggies I heard and then owned (the Tympani I-U) was the character of their upper-bass; huge waves of bass articulation coming from those three 72" X 16" screens per side. Way more slam to me than that produced by a relatively small diaphragm cone woofer.
dsrussell likes this.

Last edited by BDP24; Today at 10:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3812 of 3812 Old Today, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 325
I thought the same thing with my 3.6's. What bass it could produce (down to perhaps 35 Hz) was unique to any other speaker I have auditioned. It felt like a wave slamming, instead of a punch. When adding a subwoofer, I did not want to lose that wave, so crossed over lower than most.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Magnepan , Magnepan Mmg , Magnepan Mini Maggie System , Magnepan Mg 1 7 , Magnepan Mg 3 7

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page