Forum Jump: 
 33Likes

post #3901 of 3927 Old 11-24-2014, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 308
IMO the IIIx is a big step-up over the IIx, primarily because of the ribbon tweeter, less so the extra bass. But, I have never heard the 2.7's.

I have done all sorts of mods over the years but in all honesty nobody could tell, just no sonic difference. There were measurable differences with some mods, but by and large nada. I also found replacing the coils (inductors) with heavier units offered the closest thing to an audible benefit short of active bi-amping (bypassing the crossovers).

$850, I saw them for ~$300 a while back, gee maybe I should consider selling mine... <pause> Nope, the 3.7's are pushing $6k, I'll keep mine a while!

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3902 of 3927 Old 11-24-2014, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1265
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
IMO the IIIx is a big step-up over the IIx, primarily because of the ribbon tweeter, less so the extra bass. But, I have never heard the 2.7's.

I have done all sorts of mods over the years but in all honesty nobody could tell, just no sonic difference. There were measurable differences with some mods, but by and large nada. I also found replacing the coils (inductors) with heavier units offered the closest thing to an audible benefit short of active bi-amping (bypassing the crossovers).

$850, I saw them for ~$300 a while back, gee maybe I should consider selling mine... <pause> Nope, the 3.7's are pushing $6k, I'll keep mine a while!

I sold the 2.7's for what I'm paying for the IIIa's so I'm not feeling any pain. I hear you on the mods. Probably negligible.

Denon AVR-4520CI
Carver Amazings / Polk Audio LSIM 705's / Fusion 12 Tempest
(2) Sonotube Subs with 18" Stereo Integrity D4 Drivers
Projector: BenQ W1070
Some audio history:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=222FF...3449%21138&v=3
post #3903 of 3927 Old 11-25-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

If those IIIa's are in good shape sounds like a win!

I did all sorts of different mods and thought I heard all sorts of things. Blind testing was humbling. Many folk claim significant improvements from various tweaks. My IIIa's are stock. I did bi-amp for a long time and liked that, and could show measurable and audible differences with the system I had at the time, but am not now and have no plans to do so again. Just not worth the effort and I don't have space for another amp in my console.

I will be very torn when mine finally die and I have to update or replace them. I debated between 20's and Sanders ESL's but for now have decided to try to get the kids through college and see if I can retire by age 163. Touch and go...

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #3904 of 3927 Old 11-25-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1265
I only got a chance to listen to a couple of tracks last night with the subs going hard. Have my granddaughter with an ear ache to watch today until my son gets home. Looking forward to some listening this evening. What I did hear sounded darn good. More detail and revealing than the 2.7's. No bi-amping in my future.

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=222FF...3449%21147&v=3

Denon AVR-4520CI
Carver Amazings / Polk Audio LSIM 705's / Fusion 12 Tempest
(2) Sonotube Subs with 18" Stereo Integrity D4 Drivers
Projector: BenQ W1070
Some audio history:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=222FF...3449%21138&v=3

Last edited by XStanleyX; 11-25-2014 at 12:58 PM.
post #3905 of 3927 Old 11-26-2014, 09:50 AM

Location: South Jersey, about 20 minutes from Center City Philadelphia
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Can the metal feet that were used on the 20.1s and the 3.6s be used on the 3.7i's?

I have a friend who recently got a pair of 20.7s; I have the 20.1s. I much prefer the look of the 20.1 feet than the 20.7's base. Is that an option?

The easiest (and usually cheapest) way to improve the sound of your system is to put on a better recording.
post #3906 of 3927 Old 11-26-2014, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I have barely seen the newer models and didn't look at the feet closely when I did, sorry. I don't pay much attention to looks (talking speakers here, right ) unless I really, really like the looks or really hate it and either case is rare. You could call Magnepan and ask them if you can retrofit. It may be a DIY project. I have a vague memory that they changed to provide a tighter fit and more secure base but that could be the lack of coffee...

post #3907 of 3927 Old 11-27-2014, 07:54 AM

Location: South Jersey, about 20 minutes from Center City Philadelphia
Liked: 14
Quote:
I have barely seen the newer models and didn't look at the feet closely when I did, sorry. I don't pay much attention to looks (talking speakers here, right ) unless I really, really like the looks or really hate it and either case is rare. You could call Magnepan and ask them if you can retrofit. It may be a DIY project. I have a vague memory that they changed to provide a tighter fit and more secure base but that could be the lack of coffee...
> I have barely seen the newer models and didn't look at the feet closely when I did.

The bases I'm talking about are on the 3.7i. Magnepan's own site still lists the manual link as the 3.7, not the 3.7i, but the link itself shows the base for the 3.7i, which is here:

http://www.magnepan.com/www/pdf_manuals/manual_37.pdf

As you can see, it's oval, which is what my friend's 20.7's.

My 20.1's have the metal T-shaped feet we're all familiar with.

The easiest (and usually cheapest) way to improve the sound of your system is to put on a better recording.
post #3908 of 3927 Old 11-27-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Somebody probably decided the new base was more aesthetic. Since both mount with screws to the back it is possible the spacing and threads are the same so you could use either set. I would call Magnepan and ask them if the earlier feet would work on the newer models.

post #3909 of 3927 Old 12-03-2014, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New Forum Member - MG-2.5/R questions

Hello Everyone,

New forum member here... just last night, I got my Maggies (MG-2.5/R) set back up after a 10-year hiatus with burst ribbons. They were brand new in ~1989 from Clark Music in Latham, NY. I bought the replacement ribbons from White Bear Lake last week and got them going last night. New Emotiva XPA-200 (240W/ch into 4 ohms) amp is on the way... I got the $339 2014 Holiday pricing.

Man, the Maggies still sound truly awesome after 25 years (even with only my Sony receiver driving them until the new Emotiva gets here). I apparently do not have the de-lamination problem as others have experienced (I have absolute zero buzzing), but I don't know if that problem pertains to my model... so my questions are:

1) Do my MG-2.5/R's have the potential for de-lam of the wires from the mylar as other models have shown? (I presume same bonding/adhesion process as other models)

2) I have read comments from time to time about the crossover quality in some Maggies... does my model have a decent crossover, or should I consider rebuilding it? What's wrong with the original crossovers that have caused some owners to lament? (i.e., design? component quality?)

3) What are some of the main problems experienced by Maggie owners that I should be looking out for as I take my babies through their paces these next couple of months?

Thanks in advance!

Kind Regards,

mjklaser (aka, Mark)
post #3910 of 3927 Old 12-03-2014, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 203
As far as I know, all Mags are subject to the delamination problem. I think the main beef people have with the crossovers Magnepan uses is that they use low cost parts and some think they can get better sound by using more expensive parts.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #3911 of 3927 Old 12-04-2014, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustan View Post
I have a dedicated almost all Maggie Theater/Music room that consists of 1.7's for the LR, CC5/DWM combo for the center, MC1's for the surrounds and a Rythmik F12 for the sub. An Emotiva XPA-5 originally drove all the Maggies. After a few months, as an experiment, I purchased an Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2 to drive the 1.7's. I was curious how the 1.7's would sound when playing 2 channel music being driven by an amplifier with more power.

The XPA-2 Gen2 was a not a revelation in terms of immediate and obvious improvement, however, the subtle improvement in the 1.7's presentation was worth the price of admission. The 1.7's gained a relaxed refinement in terms of "dynamic expression", a clearer delineation of simultaneous sounds loud and soft. I would reword it as such: The dynamic contrasts were more apparent. The sound stage grew a touch wider and deeper with a greater sense of acoustic space as well as a better defined "spacial boundary" between instruments. Instruments had a bit more "roundness and body" than before. Overall tonal balance was nearly unaffected.

The biggest upgrade the XPA-2 Gen 2 brought to my Theater/Music room was in the theatrical realm. The improvement in my center channel (CC5/DWM combo) was profound. Freeing up the XPA-5 from driving the entire Maggie ensemble allowed my center channel to find it's voice ….. finally. The CC5/DWM instantly became firm and authoritative in its presentation, no longer thin, restricted, and recessed. It was a revelatory transformation, so much so that I was finally able to find an ideal placement that eliminated a slightly "phasey" interaction between the CC5, the DWM, and the LR's. That was the "Deal Keeper"…..I now had a center channel that spoke with authority, detail, anchoring a LCR that seamlessly stretched wall to wall.

I never suspected my XPA-5 was "running out of steam". It never exhibited any audible signs of stress, never felt hotter than warm. I was quite happy with my system for two channel playback and merely satisfied (but frustrated) with my system theatrically due to my center channel's "thinness". I am mentioning all of the preceding because I think an XPA-5 amplifier is a beefier, and a more robust amplifier than you will find in the vast majority of AVR's. I don't think many AVR's can drive an all Maggie surround system to satisfying levels and a believable and enjoyable "aural presentation". I strongly recommend (based upon my experience) you consider an XPA-5 or any of a number of high current/high wattage amplifiers. Later, you might want to purchase a dedicated two channel amp for your system, as I did.

I do not run my Maggies full range. I experiment sometimes running my 1.7's full range, no sub, when listening to music without deep low end. I invariably return to bass management as I love the honest tactile feel of my Rythmik's and how they support the foundation of music. A properly set up sub can add the "weight of the acoustic space" in those recordings that presents a realistic acoustic environment. Proper theatrical playback/presentation is another beast and, in my opinion, a sub is a necessity with any type of speaker.

My crossover points are as follows. Music playback: I fiddle with the crossover at 40 <-> 55 Hz, the majority of the time 55Hz. Theatrically my crossovers are 55Hz for the 1.7's, 60Hz for the CC5/DWM combo (I just had a thought to try them full range as a lark! But only on a dialog driven movie!), and 80Hz for my MC-1's surrounds.

I tried the Magnepan recommended Center/LR scheme for about 3 months and while I found the tonal balance to be superb there was, in my room/system, an interaction that drew my attention and disturbed my concentration and enjoyment. The problem that I gradually became aware of was the lack of image focus, solidity, and stability the center channel presented. Any voice or sound that was below the 200Hz limit of my CC5 no longer had the same image width of those sounds above 200Hz radiating from the CC5. In other words the lower frequency center channel info was playing as phantom center from my 1.7's and that phantom image width was wider than the CC5's image width. A male voice or sound effect began to stretch in width as the frequency dropped. I abandoned the Magnepan Center/LR scheme and tried using traditional bass management and crossing the CC5 at 200Hz to my sub but that experiment/listening session lasted less than 5 minutes!!

Purchasing the DWM to support my CC5 effectively made my center channel "full range" 40Hz to 20kHz. This completely and immediately cured the problem of my frequency dependent center channel varying stage width. It also anchored and solidifeid the "center" of the LCR image. Sounds that were meant to be heard from the center did not wander towards the LR 1.7's. I returned to traditional bass management crossing my CC5/DWM to my sub at 60Hz. My processor is a decently behaved Emotiva UMC-1.

I agree with Don…..I always seem to agree with Don……try a pair of 1.6 or 1.7's for you LR's. They will mate well with your CC3, which I believe digs way deeper than my CC5 without the DWM. I believe the large paneled Maggies and your CC3 will throw a more coherent LCR than MC1's and a CC3…again my opinion only.

It is my belief, again my belief only, that the large panel Maggies, due to their larger radiating area throws a greater "wavefront" at you. It is my belief that this greater rush of "air" enveloping you acts as a 'reminder" of what we experience when we hear and "feel" the world in our everyday interactions. This "wavefront" adds a sense of "familiar realism" fooling our senses somewhat ...… and that allows us to cross the threshold of reality and be fooled into believing what we are hearing is real….allowing us to experience a musical event or a film….allowing us to be transported vicariously without distractions ….. allowing us to see/hear/feel our movies and our music.

We merely listen when the audio is sub-par…..we are transported when the audio is superb.

I apologize profusely for the abundance of words……but I feel like I am amongst friends here.
I have the CCR and the bass panel advertised as a speaker stand. My Anthem D2v shows the bass falling like a rock @250. Could the bass you hear with the addition of the bass panel be all that fulfilling?
post #3912 of 3927 Old 12-04-2014, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by peechus View Post
I have the CCR and the bass panel advertised as a speaker stand. My Anthem D2v shows the bass falling like a rock @250. Could the bass you hear with the addition of the bass panel be all that fulfilling?
The published specs of the CCR and the bass panel are 50 Hz - 40 kHz. If your Anthem D2v shows the bass falling like a rock @250 then something is seriously wrong electronically, room acoustically, or "speakerally" (sorry I couldn't resist). I cannot fathom what is wrong but I suggest some serious investigation is in order.

And yes, in my opinion, the center channel bass below 250 Hz is indeed fulfilling and a solid foundation for male and female voices, SFX, roomtones, and a coherent LCR soundstage.

I hope you can get to the bottom (sorry I couldn't resist again) of your problem. Perhaps someone else can chime in …. Don where are you???!!!!!.

Good Luck and please keep us informed.

Magnepan 1.7's (LR)
Magnepan CC5/DWM (Center Channel)
Magnepan MC1's (Surrounds)
Rythmik F12 (Sub)
Emotiva UMC-1 (Processor)
Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2 Drives the 1.7's
Emotiva XPA-5 Drives the Center and Surrounds
Oppo BDP-103
post #3913 of 3927 Old 12-05-2014, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, I have to work sometime, and practice for Christmas gigs... Our conductor decided to add a picc trumpet part without checking keys with me first, debating whether to play on A picc (in the keys of C# going to D#/Eb) or using my Eb, or something else, blah...

On topic: Sounds like something is wrong with the connection to the bass panel (wires reversed? not connected?), or it has a blown fuse, or something. Falling below 250 Hz is suspiciously close to the LF corner of the CCR... Reversing the wires would put a big hole in the response around there. If there is no response below, then it sounds like the bass panel is not working.

Note the load impedance of the CCR + bass panel is pretty low around the crossover point, probably 2 ohms or less. It is mostly resistive but something to keep in mind. I do not think that has anything to do with the present issue, mainly a reminder note to myself.

post #3914 of 3927 Old 12-17-2014, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I ordered a DWM woofer for my CC5. Can anyone recommend a stand explain how they have their DWM + center mounted?

Magnepan 1.7 LR | Magnepan CC5 center | Rythmik F15HP | Magnepan MC1 Sides | Magnepan MMG Rears | NAD T 757 | Emotiva UPA-1 mono's | Emotiva XPA-5 | Sony HW40es | Silver Ticket 120"
post #3915 of 3927 Old 12-19-2014, 12:28 PM

Hi,

Newbie here.
I've been lurking for a month now and thought I'd introduce myself and say hello.

I purchased my first Maggies (Super MMG) a few weeks ago and thought I would post a couple of comments and ask for some suggestions/thoughts.

1) The manual that comes with the Super MMG system suggests reversing polarity between the DWN and the MMGs. Since I've owned box speakers my whole life, it goes against every fiber of my body to reverse the polarity. So I guess I'm just curious if anyone knows what effect this has on planar speakers. With cone drivers,
the cone moves the opposite direction (I think) and effects the sound. But with the MMGs - I can't hear the difference between regular polarity and reverse.

2) I mostly listen to rock music (all eras) and experimental (Reich, Stockhausen, Nono, etc...) plus some Classical and Jazz. The Maggies sound amazing to my ears on most of the music I listen to. But, I'm having a hard time adjusting to the Maggie sound on rock music with punchy drums. I'm getting enough bass - it's just I'm missing the "air push" of the box speakers. I guess my question is, will my ears/brain eventually adjust to the planar sound (with rock-n-roll)? Or will I most likely need to supplement with a subwoofer to get that sound?

Thanks,
Ross
post #3916 of 3927 Old 12-19-2014, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Welcome, Californe: Question number 2: Maggies need a good subwoofer. Yes, even for music. Take a look at Rythmik (they seem to be a good match for the Maggies). Other companies would be SVS (that's what I own), PSA (I own these too), Hsu, Outlaw and Reaction Audio.

Maggies will NEVER sound like box speakers. One either gets use to the coherent sound of panel speakers or one doesn't. They are not for everyone, but adding a good sub will provide you another level of sound reproduction.
Califone likes this.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 & C48, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95 and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek R5Bi, PSA XS30, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #3917 of 3927 Old 12-19-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonES300 View Post
I ordered a DWM woofer for my CC5. Can anyone recommend a stand explain how they have their DWM + center mounted?
I use a Sanus SFC22 for my CC5 with the DWM directly in front of the stand. CC5 sits above the DWM with approximately a 4 in gap. They make a shorter stand, the SFC18. I also use the Auralex MoPAD-XL between my CC5 and the Sanus stand to angle the center channel and isolate it from the stand.

I hope that helps

Magnepan 1.7's (LR)
Rythmik F12 (Sub)
Oppo BDP-103
post #3918 of 3927 Old 12-19-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

@ross :

1. The polarity depends upon the crossover configuration and panel connections. I'd follow Magnepan unless you can measure time response and confirm a better way. The effect of mismatched wiring polarity is a dip ("hole") in the response at the crossover frequency and happens no matter the type of speaker. A pink noise test or swept tone, even a single tone at the crossover frequency, should let you easily hear the difference when switching polarity.

2. A lot of speakers boost the midbass to give you that "punchy" sound. You may find after listening a while and going back to a conventional speaker you no longer care for what might sound like over-emphasized bass. Or not. You could also have a response hole due to speaker placement and/or room modes. Planers take more care and time to dial in due to their dipole sound pattern and need more space from the wall behind (unless it is heavily treated). So, try playing with positioning of the main speakers and bass panel first, then you can try tweaking the EQ bit. Maggies are plenty "punchy" when set up right. But, as most here (and everywhere) know, I am a strong proponent of using a subwoofer with the vast majority of speakers. All but the really elite (and expensive) models distort heavily trying to reproduce deep bass, planers included (and perhaps especially so due to their limited excursion and modes that can occur in the panels). And even with a speaker that can reproduce low bass subwoofers allow you to place them to compensate room modes, and that place is rarely where the L/R mains are sitting.

IME/IMO/etc. - Don
Califone likes this.

post #3919 of 3927 Old 12-19-2014, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustan View Post
I use a Sanus SFC22 for my CC5 with the DWM directly in front of the stand. CC5 sits above the DWM with approximately a 4 in gap. They make a shorter stand, the SFC18. I also use the Auralex MoPAD-XL between my CC5 and the Sanus stand to angle the center channel and isolate it from the stand.

I hope that helps
Thanks, that definitely helps. I'll have to take a look at the shorter one. I already feel like my screen is getting a little higher than I'd like with the DWM and CC5 stacked. Looking on the bright side, it puts the CC5 right around ear height.

Magnepan 1.7 LR | Magnepan CC5 center | Rythmik F15HP | Magnepan MC1 Sides | Magnepan MMG Rears | NAD T 757 | Emotiva UPA-1 mono's | Emotiva XPA-5 | Sony HW40es | Silver Ticket 120"
post #3920 of 3927 Old 12-19-2014, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Califone View Post
Hi,

Newbie here.
I've been lurking for a month now and thought I'd introduce myself and say hello.

I purchased my first Maggies (Super MMG) a few weeks ago and thought I would post a couple of comments and ask for some suggestions/thoughts.

1) The manual that comes with the Super MMG system suggests reversing polarity between the DWN and the MMGs. Since I've owned box speakers my whole life, it goes against every fiber of my body to reverse the polarity. So I guess I'm just curious if anyone knows what effect this has on planar speakers. With cone drivers,
the cone moves the opposite direction (I think) and effects the sound. But with the MMGs - I can't hear the difference between regular polarity and reverse.

2) I mostly listen to rock music (all eras) and experimental (Reich, Stockhausen, Nono, etc...) plus some Classical and Jazz. The Maggies sound amazing to my ears on most of the music I listen to. But, I'm having a hard time adjusting to the Maggie sound on rock music with punchy drums. I'm getting enough bass - it's just I'm missing the "air push" of the box speakers. I guess my question is, will my ears/brain eventually adjust to the planar sound (with rock-n-roll)? Or will I most likely need to supplement with a subwoofer to get that sound?

Thanks,
Ross

Regarding your desire for "cone" bass and the excellent suggestion that you add a subwoofer to your Maggies, SVS and Rythmik being mentioned as two good ones: The two best things you can do for Maggies is 1- Find the distance from the wall behind them that does NOT cause cancellation between the sound coming from the front of the speaker and that from the rear. To give a simplified example of what causes that, if the same frequency coming from each side of a planar speaker reaches your ears 180 degrees out-of-phase from each other, that frequency will be completely cancelled at your listening position. Use test signals to check for that, and move the speakers and/or listening position to a location that minimizes that condition. 2- Yes, add a sub or two. The SVS SB13 Ultra is reviewed in the new Stereophile, and DonH and I heartily endorse Rythmik. But if you wanna get really nutty, Rythmik's owner/designer Brian Ding and the owner/designer of GR Research, Danny Richie, collaborated on a dipole/open baffle subwoofer that both uses conventional cone woofers AND has dipole radiation, just like your Maggies. There are trade-offs involved, and certain performance-costs to be paid, with open baffle subs, so if the idea of dipole/cone subs intrigues you, go to the GR Research website and read all about it.
Califone likes this.
post #3921 of 3927 Old 12-19-2014, 09:18 PM

Happy Holiday!!

Wishing a Happy and Joyous Holiday Season and a Happy, Healthy, Loving New Year to You, Your Families, and All Your Loved Ones.

May The World Find Peace In Music
Califone likes this.

Magnepan 1.7's (LR)
Rythmik F12 (Sub)
Oppo BDP-103
post #3922 of 3927 Old 12-20-2014, 10:20 AM

Thanks for the comments: dsrussell, Don, BDP24

From what everyone is saying, it sounds like my desire for the MMGs to deliver a bit more "punch" will be possible through experimenting with placement and or adding a sub. I'm going to continue to experiment and look at the subwoofers recommended. The DWM came with a pink noise CD that might help to correct any polarity issues. I will most likely leave the polarity reversed as suggested in the DWM manual.

Happy Holidays,
Ross
post #3923 of 3927 Old 12-20-2014, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The Super MMGs are tuned with the DWM with the polarity switched as described in the manual. Definitely use the pink noise CD (and your ears) to help with placement. By starting off with their placement suggestions, you probably won't have to move the DWM too far. With that said, the DWM is no subwoofer so if you want that deep bottom end then you'll have to use a sub.
Califone likes this.

Life is Lambertian
post #3924 of 3927 Old Today, 07:01 AM

Liked: 10
Hey all, I'm a newbie here and I hope this is the correct location for this, but I'm looking for some recommendations.

I'm currently running an all Definitive Technology 7.1 setup (BP-2000TL, CLR 3000, BP-VX wides, some low level DT surrounds) with an Onkyo TX-NR807 receiver ($1K about 6 years ago) and a top of the line EPIC subwoofer (RIP). My room is large 22x23, and my current setup sounds pretty good to my ears. I listen to 95% movies - not much music.

Last week I went to a dealer for some other reason, and he demoed the Magnepan 3.7 and 1.7 for me - music only (Unfortunately, the 1.7 was the only one he had available, and it happened to have a bad bass module in the right speaker, so a direct comparison vs the 3.7 was difficult). However, I was completely blown away. I loved the wide, full sound that the speakers threw.

So, now I was considering upgrading my setup towards Magnepans. I was thinking of starting with the center speaker, because of its importance with movies. I was thinking some combination of the CCR/CC5/DWM/Stand, and then maybe buying either the 1.7 or the 3.7s in the future. I was planning to buy amplifiers as needed for the power hungry Magnepans - I would probably get the 600 watt/channel monoblock to power the center speaker, with the thinking to maybe buy a second mono block in the future to power a future L/R Magnepan (1.7 or 3.7).

I have a million questions, but here's just a few:
1. It stands to reason that Maggies would be fantastic for movies as well - is everyone in agreement on that? I'm going to hear a demo before buying, but I was worried that it would not be the spectacle that box speakers may be. I don't need the loud volumes as much as that full enveloping soundstage.
2. If I were to buy the CC5 and was later able to afford the 3.7, would those not pair well? In other words, if I have any possibility of getting the the 3.7s, do I need to go CCR now?
3. It sounds like most don't like the Maggie recommended center channel set up with the bass being diverted to the L and R speakers - if I go CCR or CC5, is the DWM/stand a must to avoid that?
4. Would the 1.7s be enough in my size room (22 x 23)? Or would I need the 3.7 to really fill it out?
5. Any thoughts on how the maggies might fit in with my existing setup? At this cost point, there's no way that I'll be able to upgrade everything at once, so this is where I was starting. Is this a good plan?

Basically, for anyone who is where I'm at - how would you proceed with upgrading, with an eye towards home theater use?

Thank you in advance for any assistance that you can provide.
- Kurt
post #3925 of 3927 Old Today, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yes, Maggies are great for HT. You have a large room. Get the biggest Maggies you can afford. I would start with the 3.7's and move your DT's to surround duty. Your Onkyo's Audyssey should be able to integrate them sufficiently well. Use your existing center channel.

Then, as soon as you can afford it, get the CCR and the DWM. Yes, the DWM is mandatory IMHO.

Keep the subwoofer. I also use an Epik in my HT.

Basically, you're asking whether a true-ribbon Maggie is worth it (1.7 vs 3.7). I think it is.
post #3926 of 3927 Old Today, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmiller15211 View Post
I'm currently running an all Definitive Technology 7.1 setup (BP-2000TL, CLR 3000, BP-VX wides, some low level DT surrounds) with an Onkyo TX-NR807 receiver ($1K about 6 years ago) and a top of the line EPIC subwoofer (RIP). My room is large 22x23, and my current setup sounds pretty good to my ears. I listen to 95% movies - not much music.

I have a million questions, but here's just a few:
1. It stands to reason that Maggies would be fantastic for movies as well - is everyone in agreement on that? I'm going to hear a demo before buying, but I was worried that it would not be the spectacle that box speakers may be. I don't need the loud volumes as much as that full enveloping soundstage.
2. If I were to buy the CC5 and was later able to afford the 3.7, would those not pair well? In other words, if I have any possibility of getting the the 3.7s, do I need to go CCR now?
3. It sounds like most don't like the Maggie recommended center channel set up with the bass being diverted to the L and R speakers - if I go CCR or CC5, is the DWM/stand a must to avoid that?
4. Would the 1.7s be enough in my size room (22 x 23)? Or would I need the 3.7 to really fill it out?
5. Any thoughts on how the maggies might fit in with my existing setup? At this cost point, there's no way that I'll be able to upgrade everything at once, so this is where I was starting. Is this a good plan?

Basically, for anyone who is where I'm at - how would you proceed with upgrading, with an eye towards home theater use?

Thank you in advance for any assistance that you can provide.
- Kurt
1. Personally, I think the Maggies are not the best system for home theater use, but hey, that's just me. Maggies are renown for stage presentation and realism for music. I even chose Maggies over the 16 grand Martin Logan Summits. However, Maggies cost a lot of money, which I feel is wasted on movies where the most impressive feature in those movies is LFE content. A great subwoofer (or two) and some quality bookshelf speakers will give you what you need.

Obviously, I have Maggies (3.6), but only for a dedicated 2.1 music system. For movies, I chose a very inexpensive front stage ($338 for 3 identical speakers) to use with a powerful subwoofer (haven't purchased the rears as yet). It's impressive in my rather open 3,400 cu. ft. room. I never even considered going with a 5.1 Maggie system for the reasons I already stated.

2. Maggies put out a huge soundstage and a wider sweet spot that I was led to believe (far wider than the Martin Logans). It could be that a phantom center would do well for you, at least initially, but you'd need to be the judge.

3. I can't answer that specific question (don't own any center channel). You need a dedicated subwoofer(s) to fill that room.

4. I think the 1.7s would be great for the front speakers, and perhaps the MC-1s for the rear. I could never think about spending a lot of money for rear speakers. But again, perhaps that is just me.

5. You might want to look at the last paragraph on the second page of this Magnepan 3.6 review by Andrew Robinson. Why a review on an older model? It's still applicable to the 3.7s (or any Maggie) and talks about integrating Def Tech speakers for the rears: http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-lo...dspeakers.html

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 & C48, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95 and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek R5Bi, PSA XS30, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #3927 of 3927 Old Today, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 59
I'm +1 with dsrussell on this one. I own old Maggies (and similar Eminent Technology magnetic planars), but for a music-only system. If I was getting loudspeakers for a mostly-HT system, I'd get either horns or very efficient cone-type ones. If you have surround sound, that will give you the large enveloping sound-field you want. That doesn't come from the front speakers---there is no depth-of-field required from them in a HT system.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Magnepan , Magnepan Mmg , Magnepan Mini Maggie System , Magnepan Mg 1 7 , Magnepan Mg 3 7

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page