Forum Jump: 
 28Likes

post #3901 of 3904 Old 11-24-2014, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 293
IMO the IIIx is a big step-up over the IIx, primarily because of the ribbon tweeter, less so the extra bass. But, I have never heard the 2.7's.

I have done all sorts of mods over the years but in all honesty nobody could tell, just no sonic difference. There were measurable differences with some mods, but by and large nada. I also found replacing the coils (inductors) with heavier units offered the closest thing to an audible benefit short of active bi-amping (bypassing the crossovers).

$850, I saw them for ~$300 a while back, gee maybe I should consider selling mine... <pause> Nope, the 3.7's are pushing $6k, I'll keep mine a while!

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3902 of 3904 Old 11-24-2014, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1262
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
IMO the IIIx is a big step-up over the IIx, primarily because of the ribbon tweeter, less so the extra bass. But, I have never heard the 2.7's.

I have done all sorts of mods over the years but in all honesty nobody could tell, just no sonic difference. There were measurable differences with some mods, but by and large nada. I also found replacing the coils (inductors) with heavier units offered the closest thing to an audible benefit short of active bi-amping (bypassing the crossovers).

$850, I saw them for ~$300 a while back, gee maybe I should consider selling mine... <pause> Nope, the 3.7's are pushing $6k, I'll keep mine a while!

I sold the 2.7's for what I'm paying for the IIIa's so I'm not feeling any pain. I hear you on the mods. Probably negligible.

Denon AVR-4520CI
Carver Amazing Originals/ Carver Amazing Silvers
(2) Sonotube Subs with 18" Stereo Integrity D4 Drivers
Projector: BenQ W1070
Some audio history:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=222FF...3449%21138&v=3
post #3903 of 3904 Old Yesterday, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 293
If those IIIa's are in good shape sounds like a win!

I did all sorts of different mods and thought I heard all sorts of things. Blind testing was humbling. Many folk claim significant improvements from various tweaks. My IIIa's are stock. I did bi-amp for a long time and liked that, and could show measurable and audible differences with the system I had at the time, but am not now and have no plans to do so again. Just not worth the effort and I don't have space for another amp in my console.

I will be very torn when mine finally die and I have to update or replace them. I debated between 20's and Sanders ESL's but for now have decided to try to get the kids through college and see if I can retire by age 163. Touch and go...

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #3904 of 3904 Old Yesterday, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1262
I only got a chance to listen to a couple of tracks last night with the subs going hard. Have my granddaughter with an ear ache to watch today until my son gets home. Looking forward to some listening this evening. What I did hear sounded darn good. More detail and revealing than the 2.7's. No bi-amping in my future.

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=222FF...3449%21147&v=3

Denon AVR-4520CI
Carver Amazing Originals/ Carver Amazing Silvers
(2) Sonotube Subs with 18" Stereo Integrity D4 Drivers
Projector: BenQ W1070
Some audio history:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=222FF...3449%21138&v=3

Last edited by XStanleyX; Yesterday at 12:58 PM.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Magnepan , Magnepan Mmg , Magnepan Mini Maggie System , Magnepan Mg 1 7 , Magnepan Mg 3 7

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page