The Official Magnepan Owners Thread - Page 132 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 36Likes

post #3931 of 3945 Old 01-18-2015, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Not only do I love Maggies for HT, in my opinion they vastly outperform dynamic speakers in that role when you add a subwoofer. Maggies bring a realism to movie audio and dialogue that other speakers just can't match, IMO. I've posted this a few times on the forums, but I honestly thought that the Magnepan site was just talking nonsense about their HT use back when I first bought my MMGs in 2005. Turns out it was 100% spot on and I've been having a blast ever since.

And since someone above mentioned not spending a lot on rear speakers, I have always had the same approach. Just another reason to go with Maggies...simply pick up a pair or two of MMG-Ws, throw em up on the wall, and you'll have plenty of surround fill to satisfy you. I have been doing that with my 3.6s and CC3 center for years now. I have no desire for anything more than that in terms of surrounds.

Maggies rule!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3932 of 3945 Old 01-20-2015, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Summa,

I love other speakers as well as I am a huge Dynaudio fan, but Maggies do Rule! Loving my 1.7 so far as they just put up a beautiful large soundstage!! Listening to some Holly Cole (Jazz) right now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0107.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	267.5 KB
ID:	491481  
post #3933 of 3945 Old 01-20-2015, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post
As far as I know, all Mags are subject to the delamination problem. I think the main beef people have with the crossovers Magnepan uses is that they use low cost parts and some think they can get better sound by using more expensive parts.
Interesting, but most of the pairs I read about where much older and the newer ones that had issues seemed to be in direct sun light, which can cause problems for a lot of speakers and electronics. I read it is a problem that can be fixed pretty easily since a lot of people keep these speakers for a long time it does't surprise me it happens. Most of the speakers I have seen or read about where pretty old though. Environment is key, because if to humid or dry could play a role as well. I had a pair of SMG for over 10 years before I sold them with zero delamination issues. Seems like humidity is the real culprit in most delamination cases according to many articles that I have read about this. Not sure if Magnepan has changed their glue yet but since there is much better stuff out now, they should.

http://www.indiespinzone.com/mag/mag6.html

Last edited by Garman; 01-20-2015 at 04:53 PM.
post #3934 of 3945 Old 01-20-2015, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 326
A few years ago when I called Magnepan they told me they had changed glue but could not rule it (delamination) out after many years. Sunlight is a huge factor because direct sunlight will affect most glues, causing them to stiffen and crack. My first Maggies were near windows and suffered delamination fairly early in life (maybe 5 years?) but my current pair is 30+ and still going strong (knock on wood!) I have kept them shielded from sunlight, including many years when I would listen at night then put a homebrew cover over them to block (or at least tone down) sunlight during the day.

I have played with crossovers with very mixed results. A lot of people claim vast improvements, but a couple of times I have swapped their super-duper boxes (the old models had external bass/mid crossover boxes) with my stock boxes and they haven't noticed. Sometimes I told them, sometimes not... The only significant change I ever noticed/measured was swapping the chokes for models with much lower ESR (series resistance) with a slight impact on the bass (and even slighter on the midrange). I modded a bunch of crossovers back in the day (70's/80's) but was hard-pressed to hear the difference myself, let alone measure any (I used FR and impulse response to check). Ditto the various stands and feet modifications; I could sometimes measure better impulse response, not sure I ever heard it. Ears of clay...

The main difference I heard with crossovers was when I ditched them entirely in favor of an active crossover and separate amplifiers. Not doing that now; too lazy and not enough amps laying around the place.
Garman likes this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #3935 of 3945 Old 01-20-2015, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

DonH50: Great post, I loved my SMGs back in the day and just went with a pair of Maggie 1.7 which I am enjoying. I am currently using a nice hefty Musical Fidelity Int. Amp that makes them sing!
post #3936 of 3945 Old 01-22-2015, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
Summa,

I love other speakers as well as I am a huge Dynaudio fan, but Maggies do Rule! Loving my 1.7 so far as they just put up a beautiful large soundstage!! Listening to some Holly Cole (Jazz) right now.
Very nice!! I have some Holly Cole, as well...her stuff is recorded amazingly well, but you already know that She sure sounds great on Maggies.
post #3937 of 3945 Old 01-23-2015, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bitten by Maggie Bug

A few weeks ago, I had asked about Maggies for home theater - here's my latest update:

I've been completely bitten by the Maggie bug. Here's the new gear that I've acquired:
  • Magnepan 1.6 with Peter Gunn Mods and MYE stands (got an amazing deal on Audiogon)
  • Parasound A21 (drives L/R)
  • McIntosh MC122 (Drives center)
  • Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2 (drives rear)
  • Marantz MA-200 Monoblock (was going to be center, but is back surround)
And soon to come, a Magnepan CC5 for my center and MC1 for my side surrounds, as I slowly replace my Def Tech setup. I may also get a Marantz MA8801 processor, now that I have enough amps to go separates. This would be an upgrade from an Onkyo TX-NR807 receiver (5 yrs old, 135 watt/channel, 11 channels)

What I've found is that the Maggies are just so easy to listen to, if that makes sense. I never knew what ear fatigue was before, but I think my old setup was prone to that vs. the clarity and resolving power of the Maggies. I just love the wide soundstage.

Now, for a few more questions:
  • Do you think I should go separates? What is everyone's experience here vs. a regular receiver? Keep in mind that I'm mostly using my receiver as a pre-pro out currently anyways. I've been battling ground loop hum along the way of upgrading to amps, and I fixed it with Rat Shack Ground Loop Isolators, but the thought of using XLR cables and the updated Audyssey cal was very appealing to me. Also, I was interested in having the Marantz decode all the video to 1080p rather than my projector (JVC-RS15 - 5 yrs old, 1080p).
  • I was thinking of possibly going to 3.7s in the fronts in the future and moving the 1.6s to wides. My room is 22x23 - does anyone think that's too much speaker in that size room?
  • I've noticed a lot of people have gone the DWM route for the center channel. It sounds like that's a very desirable upgrade. Once I get my new CC5, I may take a hard look at one of those. There's currently one for sale used for $500 ($800 new) that I was looking at. I wonder if that would be something to jump on?

Thanks to everyone for their help along the way, I really appreciate it.
post #3938 of 3945 Old 01-23-2015, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmiller15211 View Post
A few weeks ago, I had asked about Maggies for home theater - here's my latest update:

I've been completely bitten by the Maggie bug. Here's the new gear that I've acquired:
  • Magnepan 1.6 with Peter Gunn Mods and MYE stands (got an amazing deal on Audiogon)
And soon to come, a Magnepan CC5 for my center and MC1 for my side surrounds, as I slowly replace my Def Tech setup. I may also get a Marantz MA8801 processor, now that I have enough amps to go separates. This would be an upgrade from an Onkyo TX-NR807 receiver (5 yrs old, 135 watt/channel, 11 channels)

What I've found is that the Maggies are just so easy to listen to, if that makes sense. I never knew what ear fatigue was before, but I think my old setup was prone to that vs. the clarity and resolving power of the Maggies. I just love the wide soundstage.

Now, for a few more questions:
  • Do you think I should go separates? What is everyone's experience here vs. a regular receiver? Keep in mind that I'm mostly using my receiver as a pre-pro out currently anyways. I've been battling ground loop hum along the way of upgrading to amps, and I fixed it with Rat Shack Ground Loop Isolators, but the thought of using XLR cables and the updated Audyssey cal was very appealing to me. Also, I was interested in having the Marantz decode all the video to 1080p rather than my projector (JVC-RS15 - 5 yrs old, 1080p).
  • I was thinking of possibly going to 3.7s in the fronts in the future and moving the 1.6s to wides. My room is 22x23 - does anyone think that's too much speaker in that size room?
  • I've noticed a lot of people have gone the DWM route for the center channel. It sounds like that's a very desirable upgrade. Once I get my new CC5, I may take a hard look at one of those. There's currently one for sale used for $500 ($800 new) that I was looking at. I wonder if that would be something to jump on?

Thanks to everyone for their help along the way, I really appreciate it.
Boy oh boy your'e sure having fun!!!!

I would grab the DWM …. I love my CC5/DWM combo. The CC5 has little to no output below 200Hz and sounds thin on it's own ….. it needs low end support.

Enjoy!

Magnepan 1.7's (LR)
Magnepan CC5/DWM (Center Channel)
Magnepan MC1's (Surrounds)
Rythmik F12 (Sub)
Emotiva UMC-1 (Processor)
Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2 Drives the 1.7's
Emotiva XPA-5 Drives the Center and Surrounds
Oppo BDP-103
post #3939 of 3945 Old 01-23-2015, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
[QUOTE=kmiller15211;31085498]A few weeks ago, I had asked about Maggies for home theater - here's my latest update:

You would be best investing in one or a pair of subwoofers and keep the 1.6s.
post #3940 of 3945 Old 01-23-2015, 09:14 AM

[QUOTE=kmiller15211;31085498]A few weeks ago, I had asked about Maggies for home theater - here's my latest update:

You would be best investing in one or a pair of subwoofers and keep the 1.6s. Also if you play stereo music with a digital source then find a surround processor that includes support for USB and DSD.

Last edited by TripleFun; 01-23-2015 at 09:55 AM. Reason: update
post #3941 of 3945 Old 01-23-2015, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[quote=TripleFun;31090386]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmiller15211 View Post

You would be best investing in one or a pair of subwoofers and keep the 1.6s.
I do have a sub - I have an Epik Empire (RIP), but I've considered getting a second (maybe a Rhythmik?).
post #3942 of 3945 Old 01-23-2015, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 208
I prefer a tube preamp with the Mags. I've never been impressed with the preamp section of any AVR i've heard for two channel music.
Garman likes this.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #3943 of 3945 Old 01-23-2015, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 31
kmiller15211

Can we all come over and play?

Magnepan 1.7's (LR)
Magnepan CC5/DWM (Center Channel)
Magnepan MC1's (Surrounds)
Rythmik F12 (Sub)
Emotiva UMC-1 (Processor)
Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2 Drives the 1.7's
Emotiva XPA-5 Drives the Center and Surrounds
Oppo BDP-103
post #3944 of 3945 Old 01-23-2015, 01:47 PM

[quote=kmiller15211;31092338]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleFun View Post

I do have a sub - I have an Epik Empire (RIP), but I've considered getting a second (maybe a Rhythmik?).

With all the excellent equipment you have, the limited size of the room, and proposed Marantz AV MA8801 (or consider the AV MA8802) I think you need to review the full end to end system perspective rather than tinkering with speakers. Do you really need all those amplifiers (you obviously don't need any heating)? You could look at replacing a lot of the equipment with something like the compact Cambridge Audio CXR200 (which if it is anything like the AVR751 will have no trouble driving the Maggies) and an Oppo 105bd which includes Darbee video and DSD input through the USB port. This assumes you have a digital music source which can upconvert your music to DSD (either Apple or PC with ASIO driver). You should also look at a decent active Digital Room Correction (eg. DIRAC and miniDSP) which will complement Audyssey and be a revelation compared to the Onkyo. Of course, at the end of the day, it is what you hear (or want to hear) rather than how it is produced.
post #3945 of 3945 Old Today, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post
I prefer a tube preamp with the Mags. I've never been impressed with the preamp section of any AVR i've heard for two channel music.
I am with you on tubes! I currently use a Musical Fidelity Int. Amp that has a Tube Section in it, and I have a Rogue Metis Magnum Pre/Amp I use and both do an excellent job with the 1.7s! Very impressed with these speakers, they have such a great value more so than my Dynaudio C2's Platinums speaker that I have. If I wouldn't have got such a great deal on my upgrade I most likely wouldn't have purchased them based on what I am now hearing out of thees 1.7s. $2000 speaker retail verses a $17000 speaker, granted the bass on the C2 is much better, but if I had to buy at retail prices I would have just stuck with the Maggies. Thankfully I didn't and was able to buy both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Magnepan , Magnepan Mmg , Magnepan Mini Maggie System , Magnepan Mg 1 7 , Magnepan Mg 3 7

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page