So, after going through just about every possible wiring and amp configuration, I tried out a new one this weekend. I figured I'd talk about it here in case it might help someone in the future. If anyone has questions about this, you can also shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
I just recently bought a second DWM and I previously had them split, devoting one half of each to the L or R, and the other half to the center channel. That was giving me a bit of width for the center, which I liked, and also some extra bass for the L and R. However, I didn't realize when I wired it up, that wiring the half of the DWM in parallel with my 1.6 gave me a 2 ohm load on my Parasound A21. To the amp's credit, it never complained or overheated, but it felt like I was probably not getting the best performance out of my setup.
I changed to this 5.1 setup:
* Parasound A21 driving my L and R 1.6 pair.
* Emotiva XPA-2 driving a single DWM (each output of the amp to a single input of the DWM)
* McIntosh MC122 driving my MC1 surround speakers.
* Marantz MA-700 monoblock driving the other DWM, wired to both inputs and a CC5 in series from the high output from the DWM. As strusan pointed out in this thread and other threads (I did a lot of reading this weekend
), this is approximately a 4 ohm load, so the amp is holding it together very well.
I think this is the best setup that I've experimented with yet.
Oh, and don't get me started on the Maggie delamination issues - I've been through a few loose wires, man those things are hard to find! A little DAP Weldwood cement fixed them. I don't think I've gotten all of them yet, but they sound much better.