The Official Magnepan Owners Thread - Page 135 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 48Likes
post #4021 of 4032 Old 03-28-2015, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12B4A View Post
I think you would be better off with a larger panel solution than augmenting with DWMs. It's a simpler process with speaker placement as the DWMs add another source of midbass that complicates room interaction. Speaking as someone with a SMMG/2DWM system, I can tell you that if I were to do it all over I would have gone with larger panels instead. It's just that at the time I bought the system, the 1.7 home trial was not available nor was the .7 released. That's not to say I'm not satisfied with my setup now but in the end I know it would have been less placement manipulation without having the DWMs in the mix.
I don't get the logic of adding small "bass" panels to small Maggies at all. Even full-size Mag's are bass deficient---going large seems what is required, not small. Fanatics have employed the 3-screen Tympani's as woofers for full range Maggies for years, but that takes a pretty big room. If you want to be a purist and stay dipolar, GR Research offers 8" and 12" Open Baffle woofers and plans for both a W-Frame and H-Frame to install a pair in, the two woofers facing 180 degrees apart, one towards you and one away. They are wired in opposing polarity, creating a dipole dynamic sub that works great with panel speakers. The GR woofers are made to be hooked up to the Rythmik Servo-Feedback plate amp (A370) which has a shelving circuit to compensate for the low-frequency cancellation that occurs in an OB design; when the front and rear low-frequency wave wrap around the Frame and meet at it's sides, their opposite polarity cancel each other, the cancellation increasing as frequency descends. The Rythmik Shelving Circuit adds a complimentary opposing signal to counteract the falling frequency response of an OB sub. If you can't have large Maggie bass panels but want dipole bass, the GR Research/Rythmik OB sub is the way to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4022 of 4032 Old Yesterday, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The logic is that more surface radiating area gives deeper bass output. This is true to some degree though the implementation actually results in the DWM and main panels sharing lower bass output but handing off upper sub-bass output to the DWM which goes just a little lower than a MMG. This allowed Magnepan to directly sell and ship to customers (who were out of range of a dealer) a fully planar system that could go lower than the MMGs. Now that the 1.7i has a direct shipping path of ownership (and with some dealers willing to drop-ship other models), the super-MMG system seems to fill a smaller niche.

As for using a DWM with the larger panels, there is something to consider: the newer of the larger models have gone to all quasi-ribbon single-ended magnet panel setups. The DWMs, on the other hand, still use the push-pull magnets & wire panel setup. I lack experience with the full QR panels so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ if I can say if that makes a meaningful difference. Given the DWMs crossover divides bass power between panels more so than bins power by frequency to each panel, more phase interaction issues are encountered in room setup potentially muddling any benefit to the PP magnet tech.

My cynical take on the whole DWM concept is that they still wanted to utilize their PP magnet panel machines and tooling when the majority of their speaker lineup is shifting towards full SE magnet QR panels.

Life is Lambertian
post #4023 of 4032 Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 353
The only push-pull model was the 20. I think someone in this thread said the 20.7 is still push-pull; I don't know. Magnepan says the DWM uses the 20.1 architecture and thus is push-pull.

In addition to augmenting the bass, DWMs can help smooth the frequency response in a room, just as with any (sub)woofer. (N.B. The DWM's are not subwoofers.)

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #4024 of 4032 Old Yesterday, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks all, your answers confirm my guess. Adding the DWMs seems to add complication rather than simplification, and if a regular sub can do it thing just as (reasonably) well, always go simple.

Sounds like 1.7s are in my future.
post #4025 of 4032 Old Yesterday, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmmiddle View Post
Thanks all, your answers confirm my guess. Adding the DWMs seems to add complication rather than simplification, and if a regular sub can do it thing just as (reasonably) well, always go simple.

Sounds like 1.7s are in my future.
That's a nice future indeed! I really enjoyed my hours of auditioning the 1.7s and consider them an amazing value. Give them the respect they deserve and pick out a great subwoofer (Rythmik E15HP, F15HP or the SVS SB13-Ultra are three very worthy choices, but admittedly fairly high priced). Also look at Hsu, Reaction Audio and PSA for other great choices.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 & C48, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95 and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek R5Bi, PSA XS30, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #4026 of 4032 Old Today, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 32
gmmiddle

Don't overlook the Rythmik F12 or F15 (for a larger space). They are so very musical, go very deep, and are like chameleons when mating with the 1.7's. Please don't get the impression they are "light and gentle", they are very capable of shaking the room when watching theatrical.

I listen/watch 40% Theatrical, 40% music, and 20% gaming.

dsrussell suggestions are excellent choices, just wanted to give kudos to the sometimes overlooked Rythmik "F" series.

Enjoy your adventure and please keep everyone updated!

Magnepan 1.7's (LR)
Magnepan CC5/DWM (Center Channel)
Magnepan MC1's (Surrounds)
Rythmik F12 (Sub)
Emotiva UMC-1 (Processor)
Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2 Drives the 1.7's
Emotiva XPA-5 Drives the Center and Surrounds
Oppo BDP-103

Last edited by stustan; Today at 09:03 AM.
post #4027 of 4032 Old Today, 06:00 AM

Slightly off topic, with apologies, I am seriously considering the purchase of Emotiva's XMC-1 processor with full Dirac implementation of room/impulse response correction, as well as a UMIK-1 calibrated mic. I am also going to learn the ins and outs of REW as a "second opinion" on the results of Dirac.

I am more than curious how Dirac will handle the dipole Maggies we so painstakingly place in our preferred room positions. It's gonna be interesting to be sure!

Anyone out there with any experience or advice??? Wish me luck!

Magnepan 1.7's (LR)
Rythmik F12 (Sub)
Oppo BDP-103

Last edited by stustan; Today at 09:04 AM.
post #4028 of 4032 Unread Today, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can any of you fine folks recommend an amplifier for a CC5/DWM combo? I'm thinking of upgrading my current Marantz MA-MA700 monoblock with something not quite as bright and better equipped to handle the low ohm load. I was thinking an Emotiva XPA-1. Just to be clear, this is strictly for home theater dialog, so it won't be used for music at all.

Thanks in advance,
- Kurt
post #4029 of 4032 Unread Today, 09:18 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustan View Post
Slightly off topic, with apologies, I am seriously considering the purchase of Emotiva's XMC-1 processor with full Dirac implementation of room/impulse response correction, as well as a UMIK-1 calibrated mic. I am also going to learn the ins and outs of REW as a "second opinion" on the results of Dirac.

I am so curious how Dirac will handle the dipole Maggies we so painstakingly place in our preferred room positions. It's gonna be interesting to be sure!

Anyone out there with any experience or advice??? Wish me luck!
Stustan,

I have the XMC-1 w/Dirac Live Full version and Magnepan 3.7 speakers and Dirac really helps to clean up the remaining room problems after sound treatments were installed. Wouldn't want be without Dirac now. Remember Dirac works in the frequency and phase correction domain so REW, depending on how bad the phase response in the room is, maybe close, but not very meaningful. Listen with your ears, not your eyes Visit the Emotiva Processor forum to learn more about the XMC-1 and Dirac, lots of nonsense and lots of really good info, you know, like most forums. Experiment, with Dirac and have fun.
post #4030 of 4032 Unread Today, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POCOBEAR View Post
Stustan,

Listen with your ears, not your eyes
My whole life and thirty odd year career is based on the above!!!!! Thanks for the encouragement! Just waiting for the dust to settle on the instability of the Mac and Dirac to work well together.

Magnepan 1.7's (LR)
Rythmik F12 (Sub)
Oppo BDP-103
post #4031 of 4032 Unread Today, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmiller15211 View Post
Can any of you fine folks recommend an amplifier for a CC5/DWM combo? I'm thinking of upgrading my current Marantz MA-MA700 monoblock with something not quite as bright and better equipped to handle the low ohm load. I was thinking an Emotiva XPA-1. Just to be clear, this is strictly for home theater dialog, so it won't be used for music at all.

Thanks in advance,
- Kurt
kmiller,

I use and Emotiva XPA-1L, and I run the DMW inputs in parallel with the CC5 running off on either output, with no problems. If you don't run the DMW inputs in parallel the DMW will be about 3db lower in volume than the CC5, not good. I was running the DMW on only one input and wasn't happy with the sound. Someone suggested I run them in parallel, worked great. Being mostly a resistive load this way, the amp doesn't have any problems with the low impedance. Good Luck
post #4032 of 4032 Unread Today, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmiller15211 View Post

Thanks in advance,
- Kurt
"Sounds" like a plan. My XPA-5 does just fine driving my CC5/DWM and surrounds in a small room. I have noticed that my amps sound best after about 30 minutes of listening ..... now I never shut them off. They remain luke warm to the touch when "idling". The very few times we had an outage they were "a touch harsh and edgy and less dimensional" until they warmed up again. You might want to let your Marantz cook for a while. If you get the XPA-1 try leaving it on too.

Magnepan 1.7's (LR)
Rythmik F12 (Sub)
Oppo BDP-103
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Magnepan , Magnepan Mmg , Magnepan Mini Maggie System , Magnepan Mg 1 7 , Magnepan Mg 3 7

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page