The Official Magnepan Owners Thread - Page 135 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 48Likes
post #4021 of 4021 Unread Today, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12B4A View Post
I think you would be better off with a larger panel solution than augmenting with DWMs. It's a simpler process with speaker placement as the DWMs add another source of midbass that complicates room interaction. Speaking as someone with a SMMG/2DWM system, I can tell you that if I were to do it all over I would have gone with larger panels instead. It's just that at the time I bought the system, the 1.7 home trial was not available nor was the .7 released. That's not to say I'm not satisfied with my setup now but in the end I know it would have been less placement manipulation without having the DWMs in the mix.
I don't get the logic of adding small "bass" panels to small Maggies at all. Even full-size Mag's are bass deficient---going large seems what is required, not small. Fanatics have employed the 3-screen Tympani's as woofers for full range Maggies for years, but that takes a pretty big room. If you want to be a purist and stay dipolar, GR Research offers 8" and 12" Open Baffle woofers and plans for both a W-Frame and H-Frame to install a pair in, the two woofers facing 180 degrees apart, one towards you and one away. They are wired in opposing polarity, creating a dipole dynamic sub that works great with panel speakers. The GR woofers are made to be hooked up to the Rythmik Servo-Feedback plate amp (A370) which has a shelving circuit to compensate for the low-frequency cancellation that occurs in an OB design; when the front and rear low-frequency wave wrap around the Frame and meet at it's sides, their opposite polarity cancel each other, the cancellation increasing as frequency descends. The Rythmik Shelving Circuit adds a complimentary opposing signal to counteract the falling frequency response of an OB sub. If you can't have large Maggie bass panels but want dipole bass, the GR Research/Rythmik OB sub is the way to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Magnepan , Magnepan Mmg , Magnepan Mini Maggie System , Magnepan Mg 1 7 , Magnepan Mg 3 7

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page