The Official Magnepan Owners Thread - Page 136 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 52Likes
post #4051 of 4059 Old 04-11-2015, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Damn, Don, you nailed it! That is EXACTLY how I see it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4052 of 4059 Old 04-11-2015, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I sure miss my Tympani IVa speakers, as there's no substitute for cubic inch displacement.

And since I sold them I built the 8ft long sub with (4) 18" Stereo Integrity drivers. I have contacted the guy I sold them to and we are waiting till he moves here to retire so that I can buy them back.

Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe, nowhere else could things be this screwed up.

Last edited by 16hz lover; 04-11-2015 at 06:02 PM.
post #4053 of 4059 Old 04-11-2015, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I'm really hoping my next house will have a room big enough for me to be able to have my T-IV's (not a's, though) set up as woofers.
post #4054 of 4059 Old Today, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Super MMG to .7...upgrade, sidegrade, or ?

Engage OCD:

I'm planning on having dual subs in my setup (AVR with Audy XT32 dual sub mngmt) in the very near future and I'm looking at the 2 DWMs with the Super MMG as being superfluous. I've done several configuration experiments with REW measurements and I'm not finding a measured justification for having DWMs at all even with the single budget sub I have now. In addition, another motivation to change my front speakers is that I'd like to change the color over to all black since I changed over to a projection setup after the SMMG purchase. My room is 10x12x8 and I'm pretty sure 1.7s would be too large. That leaves the .7.

Is the all QR panel of the .7 a significant sound character difference than the QR/PM combo of the MMG/SMMG? I ask because I had MMGW/MMGC center/surrounds at one point and could never get them to match the main MMGs. Moving to MC1s for surround and going without a center channel made a night and day difference. It's completely seamless now and I'm concerned that the .7's all QR panel might have a little sound character mismatch with the QR/PM of the MC1.

Life is Lambertian
post #4055 of 4059 Old Today, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I am quite happy with my CC5/DWM center channel, especially regarding matching the LR's and Surrounds (see my signature).

Here is some food for thought: My room is a dedicated music/theater room 11x13x8. I am not using projection, a 60" Sony instead. All my Maggies are black, the walls painted a deep, dark, slate blue ..... and when the lights are dim ....... all those panels simply disappear visually. Don't dismiss the 1.7's too quickly unless their ideal position in your room interferes with the image "throw" of your projection.

I keep a bucket beneath the seat in the main listening position. It is used to catch the jaws of all who hear my system for the first time.

Last side note: An Emotiva XMC-1 w/Dirac Full Live Upgrade and a Cross Spectrum Labs Calibrated UMIK-1 is sitting, boxed, in my home waiting to replace my UMC-1. As soon as work frees up and I install it and "settle it in" I will report back.

Good Luck with your adventure and let us know how it goes!

Magnepan 1.7's (LR)
Magnepan CC5/DWM (Center Channel)
Magnepan MC1's (Surrounds)
Rythmik F12 (Sub)
Emotiva UMC-1 (Processor)
Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2 Drives the 1.7's
Emotiva XPA-5 Drives the Center and Surrounds
Oppo BDP-103
post #4056 of 4059 Old Today, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi.

Currently I do 60% movies & 40% music.

I am looking at upgrading my fronts... after auditioning a couple of speakers... I had narrowed my selection to Martin Logan - Montis... Then I discovered Sanders Sound M10... and they look very interesting....

I have not heard any Magnepans, and wanted to ask if they are similar to electrostatic speakers... Do you get a 3D effect for Magnepans?

Does anyone have experience with Sanders M10 ? and how would they compare to Magnepans ?

Would Magnepans be good for HT ?

Regards.

Fronts: B&W CM8
Center: B&W CM Center
Surround: B&W CM1
JL Audio F112
Integra DHC-80.3
Emotiva XPA-5
OPPO 93
HTPC
post #4057 of 4059 Unread Today, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Sanders and ML Montis are hybrids with built-in woofers. The ESL panels operate from a few hundred Hz on up. The Magnepan 3.7 or 20.7 (assuming those are the models you would find comparable) are also planar dipoles and shares many of the same characteristics of the ESLs you are researching. Some prefer one or the other. The Magnepan 3.7 or 20.1 are three-way speakers with a ribbon tweeter in contrast to the two-way Sander/ML designs. Some feel Magnepan is a more seamless experience since the panels go from essentially the subwofer range to ultrasonic.

All dipoles have similar radiation patterns, though ML uses a curved screen and so is less directional than Sanders or Magnepans. It is up to you to decide which you prefer; I would rather hear the image and space built into the recording instead of the listening room but it's a personal preference. Dipoles like Magnepan and Sanders do not radiate much to the sides and top/bottom so are less sensitive to sidewall and floor/ceiling reflections.

Though they do not have the higher sensitivity (and generally higher impedance) of conventional designs all are equally suited to music and HT systems. They can provide a more enveloping soundstage than typical speakers. Your best option is to listen to all three if at all possible.

Enjoy the hunt - Don
dsrussell likes this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #4058 of 4059 Unread Today, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for info Don.

Looks like there is a local dealer for Magnepan near me... I will take the time to audition them

Fronts: B&W CM8
Center: B&W CM Center
Surround: B&W CM1
JL Audio F112
Integra DHC-80.3
Emotiva XPA-5
OPPO 93
HTPC
post #4059 of 4059 Unread Today, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike9876 View Post
Thanks for info Don.

Looks like there is a local dealer for Magnepan near me... I will take the time to audition them
Let us know how the audition went. I know that I hopped from the Magnepan dealership to the Martin Logan dealership (actually, it was a McIntosh dealership that sold the Martin Logans) each weekend for 3 weekends before making my decision. I tend to make my auditions lengthy affairs (setup the appointments and brought plenty of different music).

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 & C48, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95 and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek R5Bi, PSA XS30, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Magnepan , Magnepan Mmg , Magnepan Mini Maggie System , Magnepan Mg 1 7 , Magnepan Mg 3 7

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page