The Official Magnepan Owners Thread - Page 142 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 70Likes
post #4231 of 4245 Old 08-24-2015, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamsEllis View Post
I'm also getting the Super MMG system, but I'd have to wait for Christmas to get it..wife's buying it for me, but I do have a couple of questions though. I was thinking about using two DWM bass panels one per speaker, would that be too much? also what do you use to power your MMGs ?
It's not too much. It's not really a question of output but rather space consideration, stereo separation, and smoothing of room bass response. When using just one, you effectively have a derived center channel of bass/midbass/lower midrange frequencies. When you go to two, you have stereo separation at those frequencies again. I found that just having one anchored imaging in the center a little better than two. However, I had to have the DWM right in the center which wasn't ideal as far as equipment placement. Going to two also improved upon uneven bass response in the room.

IME, the money spent on Super MMG with 2 DWMs is better spent on either MMGs or .7s with the cost difference going to two nice subwoofers like, for example, Rythmik.

Life is Lambertian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4232 of 4245 Old 08-24-2015, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked: 542
FWIWFM I agree -- personally I would just buy the MMG's and a pair of subs. The lowest room modes and boundary conditions in most rooms are below what the DWM's will comfortably handle, you need that much more space to set them up, and at the crossover point the impedance dips to 3 ohms or below.

I've often wondered why Magnepan does not offer a large woofer panel like the old Tympani line. A tall version of the DWM, sold in pairs to supplement the bass... Still not subwoofers, of course. Probably nowhere near enough market, and my room is too small for a pair of additional planar woofers, but I still want 'em.

I asked ages ago why not hybrids and got "the lecture" from Jim. It was worth it to hear his speech; I was a snot-nosed kid and suitably abashed though didn't agree with all of it. Some marketing hype, mostly the usual "planars are so much better you don't need them", but manufacturing (e.g. their ability to produce a good product at a low price without diverting resources and expertise) also played into the decision IIRC. These days, licensing a good (servo, IMO ) sub design sort of makes sense to me but may not be practical for them.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #4233 of 4245 Old 08-24-2015, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamsEllis View Post
I'm also getting the Super MMG system, but I'd have to wait for Christmas to get it..wife's buying it for me, but I do have a couple of questions though. I was thinking about using two DWM bass panels one per speaker, would that be too much? also what do you use to power your MMGs ?
Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Tell her to order early. I don't think Magnepan keeps stocks - everything is made to order so there is some lead time - Give them a call if in doubt.

There was some good advice in this thread that I ignored, regarding bass panels. I think for most people they are not great value for money - they don't come cheap and the difference they make is small. They are also not true subwoofers - you will certainly achieve better bass with just MMGs and a subwoofer. Also, for the price of 2 MMGs and 2DWMs you could get something higher up in the Magnepan rage. Will you be using yours for music or HT?
post #4234 of 4245 Old 08-28-2015, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good day
New to Magnepan Forum

Just retired my MG-1C's after 30 years, bought MG 1.6QR's from a friend. Wow!

Time to start learning again
post #4235 of 4245 Old 08-28-2015, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Cool, never stop learning!

I started with a pair of MG-I's before moving up (in 1988, about ten years later) to my current MG-IIIa's. My very brief experience with 1.6QR's and vague memory (thoug still sharp to me ) says the 1.6QR's are a big step up (though I still prefer the true ribbon tweeter).

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #4236 of 4245 Old 08-28-2015, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
(I use Rythmik but there are many choices)

HTH - Don
Hi Don, I remember you saying that you prefer to let a good, fast sub handle the lows instead of the DWM panels. For the front of my theater system I will use 3.6's on moving platforms with a CC3 under the screen and a Rythmik sub. Which Rythmik sub do you use? Since the CC3 drops to 80hz I think the CC3 with the Rythmik will make a good center channel. I think the addition of MMC-2 motorized speakers to make a tri-center system is an overkill. I see that Rythmik has a new speaker F12SE (signature edition). For my side speakers I'll use MC1's and MCG-W's in the rear.
post #4237 of 4245 Old 08-29-2015, 05:26 AM

Good day, does anyone have Mye Stands or Sound Anchors for "their" Magnepan speakers? Seeking advice and reviews, thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #4238 of 4245 Old 08-29-2015, 05:28 AM

Good day, I read that the "skiing ninja" crossover conversion is no longer available. Does anyone have a source or current information on upgrading the crossovers on MG 1.6 QR? Thank you

post #4239 of 4245 Old Yesterday, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

While some swear by them, I have not found significant differences with massive stands nor crossover modifications. A coil with larger wire did tighten the bass a hair, and a good stand mod can improve the impulse response, but by and large even when I could measure a difference I couldn't hear it. The exception for me was using an external crossover before power amps to roll off the panels faster.

The MUG site has been pretty quiet but you might take a look there: http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/MUG/

IME/IMO/HTH - Don

post #4240 of 4245 Old Yesterday, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneartist View Post
Hi Don, I remember you saying that you prefer to let a good, fast sub handle the lows instead of the DWM panels. For the front of my theater system I will use 3.6's on moving platforms with a CC3 under the screen and a Rythmik sub. Which Rythmik sub do you use? Since the CC3 drops to 80hz I think the CC3 with the Rythmik will make a good center channel. I think the addition of MMC-2 motorized speakers to make a tri-center system is an overkill. I see that Rythmik has a new speaker F12SE (signature edition). For my side speakers I'll use MC1's and MCG-W's in the rear.
Sounds like a nice system!

The DWM's can add some nice bass, but they are woofers, not subwoofers, and Magnepan clearly states that (and I agree with them, natch ). My comment was more toward spending money on subs before DWM's. They serve different needs. With 3.6's I would not add DWM's first, or probably at all, but it is partly preference (and budget).

The CC3 is rated to 80 Hz, but mine is rolling off pretty good below 100 Hz. There is dependence upon the room and placement, natch. I left my center crossover at 80 Hz and tweaked the curve a bit to avoid boosting too much and giving up headroom on the center.

I currently have four F12's in a small'ish room, but your choice depends heavily upon room size, budget, desired loudness, etc. I have always had a bias toward sealed designs, and in my room get quite a bit of room gain, but loudness is not really my goal so small sealed subs suit me fine. A pair of properly placed subs will generally provide much better in-room response than any single sub. Two can help compensate multiple room modes, difficult to impossible with a single sub.

The F12SE has been around a long time; it is the glossy block version of the F12. IIRC the only difference is the finish.

All IMO! - Don

post #4241 of 4245 Old Yesterday, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

All IMO! - Don
Thanks again. No one is as Mag-namamous as you. You have helped so many!
dsrussell and BDP24 like this.
post #4242 of 4245 Old Yesterday, 09:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneartist View Post

If you're going with only one Rythmik, if you have room for the slightly larger F15 (or even E15), you should consider getting it instead of an F12. It's only a little more money, and with only one sub I'll bet you'll be glad you did.
post #4243 of 4245 Old Yesterday, 09:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmgrower View Post
Good day, I read that the "skiing ninja" crossover conversion is no longer available. Does anyone have a source or current information on upgrading the crossovers on MG 1.6 QR? Thank you

I too planned on having Sean build me crossovers with premium parts. We snoozed, we loosed! Of course, any competent EE can build a x/o (as long as a schematic is provided), but Sean is known for his quality work, with high end standards.
post #4244 of 4245 Unread Today, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

There are a bunch of 1.6QR crossover mods on the MUG site if you care to do it yourself. I did a lot of them in the past (mainly for other owners), and one store offered modded versions (kept me busy Saturday and some Sunday afternoons), but they just didn't do much for me. I think most owners were hearing what they wanted to hear and not any real change. But, I do not claim to know what you will hear, nor do I have any sort of "golden" ears! IME changing the inductor for one with larger wires made the biggest difference. Some owners claim the opposite, see previous comments. Some of the early Maggies had some rough edges in the crossovers but it seems like they have improved over the years. I bi-amped my MG-IIIa's for a long time, but didn't miss it when an amp went down and I had to revert to using the Magnepan crossover. I never tri-amped mine though did for other owners; I was always a little nervous about taking out the ribbon (do have some horror stories about that).

I have seen a fair number of bad caps in early crossovers and then a mod does make a noticeable difference, primarily by getting the frequency response back to normal.

YMMV - Don

post #4245 of 4245 Unread Today, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDP24 View Post
If you're going with only one Rythmik, if you have room for the slightly larger F15 (or even E15), you should consider getting it instead of an F12. It's only a little more money, and with only one sub I'll bet you'll be glad you did.
Thanks for the suggestion. It would be nice if I could set an F15 on some sound damping blocks behind a screen cover inside a base cabinet. The video screen sits on the base cabinets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Magnepan , Magnepan Mmg , Magnepan Mini Maggie System , Magnepan Mg 1 7 , Magnepan Mg 3 7

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page