The Official Magnepan Owners Thread - Page 156 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 141Likes

post #4651 of 4663 Old 07-08-2016, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by nahtanoj View Post
This could be the oddest question ever! I hope I'm not overly high jacking this thread, but if so, please tell me where to post. I'd like to purchase the 1.7s, but I just thought of something that could be a deal breaker. I have 3 cats and my wife does not believe in de-clawing. I have a full 7.2 in my basement but i keep the door closed, so the cats don't get in so they don't bother the grills. In my family room, I'm using bookshelf DefTechs, which they can't reach. But Maggie's are grills on the floor full time. Does anyone have cats that are not de-clawed and how do they deal with this other than de-clawing or getting rid of the cats -neither of which is an option? I have. Cat tower and lots of toys and that will help. Is there a cat "guard" anyone has used that doesn't affect the sound? I don't want this to be the reason I don't buy these speakers. Thanks!
I bought two artificial fern plants in baskets from Walmart and placed them on the floor in front of my 0.7s. They are wide enough to extend well beyond the sides of my Maggies and short enough not to interfere with the sound. They are stiff enough to discourage our (fully clawed) cat from approaching the speakers. So far, they appear to be working purrfectly, as the cat has shown no interest in the speakers for the 3 weeks I have owned them. My 0.7s lean backward at angle, so I have not felt a need to put anything behind them. I believe the 1.7s stand vertically, so they may need a plant behind them as well as in front. YMMV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4652 of 4663 Old 07-10-2016, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
At Amazon, search "Scatmat" when placed around objects discourages approaching animals.

You could also temporarily surround the speaker with a fence of chicken wire.
post #4653 of 4663 Old 07-13-2016, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Any Maggie .7 owners out there with a sub, no bass mgt, and your mains running full range? If so, I'm curious what low pass settings people are using. I just got a JL Audio D110 and did a rough preliminary setting by ear and have the dial at around 55Hz as sounding the best after about half an hour of playing around. I wanted to see how this compared with other owners' setups. I need to eventually buy a measurement mic and do a more formal setup, but that will be later.
post #4654 of 4663 Old 07-13-2016, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1999 Post(s)
Liked: 2579
Quote:
Originally Posted by polecrab View Post
Any Maggie .7 owners out there with a sub, no bass mgt, and your mains running full range? If so, I'm curious what low pass settings people are using. I just got a JL Audio D110 and did a rough preliminary setting by ear and have the dial at around 55Hz as sounding the best after about half an hour of playing around. I wanted to see how this compared with other owners' setups. I need to eventually buy a measurement mic and do a more formal setup, but that will be later.
Not a .7 owner (very nice model, btw), but that crossover seems about right to me, especially since you’ve spent a little time trying out different crossovers. I use 40 Hz crossover for my 3.6 since I want to hear the bass from the panels and use a sub for what the Maggies can’t reproduce loudly and clearly. However, this is a music only speaker setup and that’s why I crossed it over so low.

I'd recommend keeping it where you have it, until you get use to the sound. Then use a different crossover and spend some time with that. Kind of a "rinse and repeat" method that I've used.
polecrab likes this.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #4655 of 4663 Old 07-13-2016, 10:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 83
polecrab:

I cross my "bass managed" 1.7's at 55Hz also. I've tried many times to run my 1.7's full range with no sub and I was not completely happy. I've tried many times to run my 1.7's full range with my sub (Rythmik F12) and I have found 40Hz as the best crossover point. I was, however, never completely satisfied with the result. I missed the "concussive impact" of drums and the "acoustic weight" that the bass managed 55Hz brought to many instruments. More subtly the bass managed 55Hz brought "soundstage weight / volume / and soundstage size" into play on those recordings that featured a large natural ambience.

I will say I spent a lot of time getting the phasing dialed in between my sub and the 1.7's. I highly, highly recommend spending as much time as possible making sure you are phase correct before fiddling with your crossover points. When I finally got it all "dialed in" the "air" in my room began to "beat in sync" to the low frequency tones when playing sweep tones 60Hz down to 30Hz, and below.

I have the Hi Rez download of the Paul Simon "Graceland" Album. I cannot remember the name of the cut .... it is the Vocal Acapela piece, (I will name the cut as soon as I have a moment free from work to jot it down). The studio "room tone" on that cut has an extreme low frequency air conditioning tone that was never rolled off. That tone has such weight, and it is at such a low frequency, that you can clearly "feel" the volume of the studio "weighing and pulsing upon you". If I change the phasing of my sub just a tiny bit you completely lose the "tactile feel" of that tone .... yet you continue to hear that tone clearly. Adjusting the phasing back to the "sweet spot" the tone immediately envelopes you .... almost touches you ..... you feel it ..... it's is unnerving.

I know that I am not exciting a particular room resonance or node because once I am in phase, all musical content at all frequencies below 60Hz exhibits this effect. In short, when my system is in "perfect phase" bass has solidity, the attack has a unified wavefront, it is capable of enveloping you in tactile peaks and troughs that correspond to it's frequency. When even slightly our of phase the bass sounds great .... but does not "touch" you.

Concerning our Mains: It's not like I am comparing apples to oranges ..... our Maggies are fairly close cousins .... maybe more like tangerines to oranges!! I just think it's interesting we both settled on the same crossover frequency. Our Subs ..... I don't know what t say ..... except .... they're different???

So polecrab enjoy your fine sub and mains, take you time fiddling and adjusting, and always remember to enjoy the music and not the "tones"!!! By the way what is your amplification and the rest of system??
dsrussell and polecrab like this.

Magnepan 1.7's (LR), Magnepan CC5/DWM (Center Channel), Magnepan MC1's (Surrounds), Rythmik F12 (Sub), Emotiva XMC-1 (Processor), Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2 Drives the 1.7's, Emotiva XPA-5 Drives the Center and Surrounds, Oppo BDP-103, Sony PS4
post #4656 of 4663 Old 07-14-2016, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustan View Post
I cross my "bass managed" 1.7's at 55Hz also...
Thanks for the input dsrussell and stustan. That gives me some perspective. Stustan, it's interesting that we arrived at the same 55Hz crossover, but since you're in a bass managed situation, your 40Hz low pass with 1.7s running full range might actually be more applicable to my situation. When I dialed my point lower, like in 40s, the midbass was cleaner but the impact and weight of kick drums was missing. I settled on 55Hz as a good compromise between bass power and overall clarity. I positioned my sub much closer to the listening position than the mains to give me a better baseline to adjust for group delay and phase, which I hope to do with additional equipment and software later. I want to make sure not only that the subs are in phase but that the initial impulse is also in sync, and since I can't delay the mains signal, I have to start with the subs either early or in sync. I'm driving my Maggies with an ATI AT1202 and using an Oppo HA-1 as a preamp. I wish there were more options in this price range for 2.1 preamps/integrateds with bass mgt, so I had to just throw in the towel and do without it. I was considering the miniDSP, but my Oppo has so many advantages in terms of features, usability, and connectivity, they outweighed the bass mgt for me. I can still do room correction at my computer source, but unfortunately I won't be able to control the sub separately from the mains. However, even after a very crude, half hour setup by ear, I'm enjoying the sound of the subs, and having fun playing the Mahler 6 last mvt hammer blows, etc.
dsrussell likes this.

Living room: Magnepan .7, JL Audio D110, ATI AT1202, Oppo HA-1, Sennheiser HD600
Office: Elac B5, Mission 700ASi, Audioengine N22, Schiit Modi 2 Uber

Last edited by polecrab; 07-14-2016 at 11:19 AM.
post #4657 of 4663 Old 07-20-2016, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I found through the years that 50hz is the best all around setting, usually prefer a 24dB slope. This all depends on your subwoofer performance /traits. There are lots of rather anemic subs, major brand names that have no capability to reproduce actual "sub" frequencies, and bottom out easily when asked to do so.
I just wish I could find someone local to audition a pair of 3.6 or 3.7's. Magnepan used the 1.7 with the 2 end tables when I heard them at T.H.E Show 2 years ago.

Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe, nowhere else could things be this screwed up.
post #4658 of 4663 Old 07-23-2016, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Am I Crazy?

So I've been having a hankering to listen to the new-ish Maggie .7's based on the wows in the press. The price is kind of in my ballpark. Problem is, I currently have a fine (for me) Home Theater setup with a mishmash of gear, and I'm thinking it may not be possible to simply replace my current main speakers (Snell EIII's) with .7s due to the power issues. My current Marantz 1402 (50WPC 8ohm 5.1) can barely drive my current setup, but I have a small room (13' x 20'). It seems that looking for a super-duper AV Receiver may or may not do the trick. I've read suggestions here and elsewhere that are, frankly, all over the map. My receiver does have a pre-out that I could feed into an amp, and I have an unused Musical Fidelity A3 integrated collecting dust. I'd even be willing to spring for a serious 2-channel amp. I just can't figure out how I'd get the volume levels squared away between the mains and the other speakers when I want to play in 5.1 mode for movies, etc. I absolutely have to be able to control master volume from the receiver. I get the feeling I should simply build a new setup in another room for my 2-channel stuff, but that's not happening anytime soon. Before I go to the hassle of going to the dealer and auditioning these things, I'd like to know if this is just impractical. So any suggestions would be appreciated, even ones that say I'm indeed crazy. TIA.
post #4659 of 4663 Old 07-24-2016, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1999 Post(s)
Liked: 2579
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjneary View Post
So I've been having a hankering to listen to the new-ish Maggie .7's based on the wows in the press. The price is kind of in my ballpark. Problem is, I currently have a fine (for me) Home Theater setup with a mishmash of gear, and I'm thinking it may not be possible to simply replace my current main speakers (Snell EIII's) with .7s due to the power issues. My current Marantz 1402 (50WPC 8ohm 5.1) can barely drive my current setup, but I have a small room (13' x 20'). It seems that looking for a super-duper AV Receiver may or may not do the trick. I've read suggestions here and elsewhere that are, frankly, all over the map. My receiver does have a pre-out that I could feed into an amp, and I have an unused Musical Fidelity A3 integrated collecting dust. I'd even be willing to spring for a serious 2-channel amp. I just can't figure out how I'd get the volume levels squared away between the mains and the other speakers when I want to play in 5.1 mode for movies, etc. I absolutely have to be able to control master volume from the receiver. I get the feeling I should simply build a new setup in another room for my 2-channel stuff, but that's not happening anytime soon. Before I go to the hassle of going to the dealer and auditioning these things, I'd like to know if this is just impractical. So any suggestions would be appreciated, even ones that say I'm indeed crazy. TIA.
Do go and audition the .7’s, and do so more than once. Bring in your AVR and have them play the Maggies with your gear. That will tell you exactly what you need to know. Also realize that Maggies do not play well with conventional speakers. Have the dealer hook up conventional surrounds and a conventional center channel so you know what you’re getting into.

If you decide to get another amp, everything is still controlled from your AVR master control knob once you use the preamp output ports.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #4660 of 4663 Old 07-24-2016, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
You're not crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjneary View Post
... My receiver does have a pre-out that I could feed into an amp, and I have an unused Musical Fidelity A3 integrated collecting dust. I'd even be willing to spring for a serious 2-channel amp. I just can't figure out how I'd get the volume levels squared away between the mains and the other speakers when I want to play in 5.1 mode for movies, etc. I absolutely have to be able to control master volume from the receiver. ... TIA.
I recently bought a pair of Maggie 0.7s and an Emotiva SA-250 two-channel amp, which is fed from the R&L front channel preamp outputs of my Denon X3200W receiver. I think this configuration sounds wonderful for 2.1 music, and it is just fine for 5.1 movies as well. (My center and surround speakers for 5.1 movie sound are medium size Axioms and I use a SVS sub crossed over in the receiver at 60 Hz for both 2.1 and 5.1.)

Since all speaker balancing adjustments typically are performed in the preamp portion of the receiver, getting the volume levels squared away for 5.1 is done exactly the same way as if the front speakers were connected directly to the receiver. You can do it manually, or let the automatic system handle the job. Just remember that the 0.7s have a sensitivity rating about 6 dB less than most dynamic loudspeakers, so the 0.7s accordingly will need about 6 dB more gain than the rest of the speakers. This was not a problem for my receiver and I think should be well within the speaker balancing adjustment range for most other modern receivers.

I expect that your A3 will be sufficient, but if not, you can always go bigger.
post #4661 of 4663 Old 07-24-2016, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone heard anything or have personal experience with using the Mye stands for the DWMs? Wondering if it's worth it. I have them for my 3.7is and 1.6s, but wasn't sure if they'd be worth it on the dedicated DWM panels. I've always been a little underwhelmed by my DWM panels, and I've played a lot with placement and other things to no avail. I was wondering if the Mye stands could make them sing a little better.

Thx in advance,
- Kurt
post #4662 of 4663 Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New member here. I have learned much from reading this forum!

I first heard Maggies in 1980 (Tympani 1D) and was very impressed; decided I needed to own them eventually. Listened again to 1.6 in about 1996; my wife was also sold on Maggies.

Now finally at the point where I can get some. And I end up with a very difficult listening room. The only room in the house we can use for this is our shared office. It has a short (50") kneewall on both ends, leading to a 12 on 12 cathedral ceiling. It has to double as listening room and home theater, in addition to office, with desks in the way. The location of the desks is fixed, and it rules out any floor standing Maggie.

So I'm mounting the TV on a hinged mount on the ceiling, so for use I can swing down to the proper angle (bottom of TV will be about 40" off the floor). Only way it fits in the room. We will watch some movies, but we are probably 70/30 music/movies.

Now to the Maggies, here's what I am thinking, and I am looking for any comments or suggestions:

Front channels: MC1, also mounted on the 45 degree ceiling, either side of the TV (about 8' apart), also hinged to come down to the proper listening angle, and of course the MC1 mounts allow toeing in to face the listener.

Rear channels: MMGW, on the side walls, mounted horizontally about 30" off the floor near the rear of the room.

No center channel; going with the Maggie "phantom center."

Sub: SVS SB-1000, near the front of the room, below the TV. Crossover around 120 Hz.

Receiver: Probably something from Denon. We don't listen at really high volumes, so we don't need a super powered amp.

Biggest concern is whether the MC1's will sound right at that odd angle off the cathedral ceiling. They will be about 35 degrees off the ceiling, and about 12" from the side walls. (And one side wall is all glass.) But there's no other place to mount them. If that can't work, I'll have to go with some other speaker.

Thoughts or advice welcomed!
post #4663 of 4663 Old Today, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1540 Post(s)
Liked: 1056
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmiller15211 View Post
Has anyone heard anything or have personal experience with using the Mye stands for the DWMs? Wondering if it's worth it. I have them for my 3.7is and 1.6s, but wasn't sure if they'd be worth it on the dedicated DWM panels. I've always been a little underwhelmed by my DWM panels, and I've played a lot with placement and other things to no avail. I was wondering if the Mye stands could make them sing a little better.

Thx in advance,
- Kurt
Disclaimer: I have never heard DWMs on Mye's stands.

I'd be inclined to doubt the stands would help much if any. My experience with numerous stands over the years is that a very good design can improve the measured transient response a hair but the actual audible benefits are nil. Opinions vary, natch.

DWMs are dipole woofers and the back wave makes them very sensitive to placement not only within the room relative to the listening position but also with respect to the wall behind. Treatment could help but it takes a lot in the bass region to do much good. Over the years I have read about (but not performed myself) mods ranging from placing the panels right against a wall (taking the cancellation high enough that it is outside their passband) to adding very thick (12" and more) absorption behind them to one enterprising soul who actually made a cabinet and enclosed them.

If you have 3.7's my advice, sad as it seems, would be to sell the DWMs and put ther money toward better subs if you don't have them, movies or music, or retirement fund. Or my retirement fund.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Magnepan , Magnepan Mmg , Magnepan Mini Maggie System , Magnepan Mg 1 7 , Magnepan Mg 3 7