The Official Magnepan Owners Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 28Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #451 of 3908 Old 03-23-2009, 10:49 AM
Member
 
Tiga S2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Kernersville, NC
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the response, Guess I'll see if it's available here in NC.

David
Tiga S2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #452 of 3908 Old 03-23-2009, 01:08 PM
Member
 
JazzGMster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGMster View Post

I used to have MMG's a few years back and I've always wanted to come back to that amazing sound so in part, I'm going to design the space/layout with a Maggie music/HT setup in mind. I'm trying to do it as cost effective as possible but still get what I want. So far, I've arranged to buy a gently used pair of 3.5Rs for the mains. I'm also in negotiations to buy a used Butler TDB-5150 amp. Next up will be center (thinking CC3) and surrounds (MC1's). For a sub (only for HT), I'm thinking of an ACI Titan XL or a used Martin Logan Depth. Room size is going to be approx 20 x 22 (I can post a sketch later of the basic layout if anyone's interested - I haven't decided 100% where to place everything). AV source will be a front projector.


I just took possession of the 3.5Rs and they are jaw-droppingly good. I had them temporarily hooked up yesterday to a Parasound 2-channel amp and a tube pre-amp and I just sat in my living room with a stupid smile on my face, listening to music for hours on end. Simply stunning. My current main speakers are Totem Sttafs, which are very good speakers in their own right, but this is another order (or two) of magnitude beyond...

Now the only problem is- until my new HT room is built (5-6 months from now), the 3.5Rs have to go into storage, as they're too big for my living room and my current HT room. Oh well- it gives me time to scout the used market for some MC1's and a CC3.
JazzGMster is offline  
post #453 of 3908 Old 03-23-2009, 01:20 PM
Senior Member
 
paulwozniak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hamtramck MI
Posts: 458
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves World View Post

Hey Viper,

Thanks for the kind words! By the way the DVR pictured is a Verizon FiOS box. Fiber optic all the way to the house much more powerful than a "cable box".

The gear (top to bottom) Left side

Rega Planar 2 Turntable (RB250 arm)

2 Parasound Zphono pre-amps

Phillips CD Recorder

Yamaha M60 amp (170 w x 2 Bi amped HT center Polk CSi5)

Yamaha RX-V663 AVR

The gear (top to bottom) Right side

Panasonic RD 2900 Turntable

Playstation 3

Super duper cable box!

Yamaha MX600 amp (135 w x 2 Bi amped right HT surround)

Yamaha MX600 amp (135 w x 2 Bi amped left HT surround)

Yamaha MX 800 amp (220 w X 2 Bi Amped left Maggie)

Yamaha MX 800 amp ( 220 w X 2 Bi Amped left right Maggie)

The amps for each of the Maggie's are on each side of the TV (Toshiba 50" DLP).

Hiding behind the couch is a:

Carver TFM 25 (225 w x 2 shared by the rear surrounds).

As you can see I got a really good deal on several Yamaha amps I just could not pass on.

I am running 2 Outlaw EX subs (350 w each) and although I have only had the Maggie's since Friday I am very pleased with the amount of bass they produce. I also have a HSU mid bass module (350 w) to help blend the mid and low bass. Allows me to set the Outlaw's crossovers around 45 hz.

I found out real quick that the Maggie's love more and more power. So I know I wil be upgrading to something larger in the near future.

I think all the dealers are the same in that they want you to buy more than you plan on. That's just the business they are in. That way they can show off the real high dollar stuff. I love going into them but hate to walk out empty handed.

I lived in Everett many years ago and would go into Seattle just to hit the high end shops. Great area and lots to do!

Have fun looking and building your system. That's what it is all about enjoyment!

How are you getting around turntable feedback? I had to put my TT in another room. It's in an adjacent room, and shelf mounted. (Had to keep it out of the reach of the rugrats).
paulwozniak is offline  
post #454 of 3908 Old 03-23-2009, 02:10 PM
Member
 
ryuspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by elockett View Post

Very cool: How do you like his shop? I haven't had the chance to visit at their new location.

If your TV is on or near the same plane (front to back) as the Maggies (and most other speakers for that matter), I could easily imagine that messing up the imaging. I was able to place my plasma about three feet behind my 1.6s and that seems to work pretty well. In my setup at least, I had to play with the toe-in a lot to achieve good imaging. I recall it taking about an hour to get it right.

Are your quasi-ribbons inside or out?

Eric

The shop was nicer than I was expecting. He was very knowledgeable and showed me a few different things. All in all, he sold me on the 1.6s (an easy sale) but also that he can help me in my whole house audio search. He even said that if I sent him a picture of where I was thinking of placing the 1.6s he could give me advice on placement and treatments. I was very happy.

I am including some pictures of the room with the Maggies ('cause everyone else is ). I'm almost finished with the music in the backyard so I have the SO's permission to resume playing with the home theater. So today I'll go to lowes and get some upright stands and maybe some of the modular shelving to get the mmg's up. The TV will be going on the wall sometime in the next week or so, pending the purchase of a wall mount. I'll also be putting in an equipment rack that's slimmer so I can have more control in placement.

EDIT: The quasi ribbons are on the inside currently. Oli suggested that I may want to place them on the outside if I can't get enough separation between the speakers.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
ryuspeed is offline  
post #455 of 3908 Old 03-23-2009, 07:20 PM
Senior Member
 
vinyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 434
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mupi View Post

Now what worries me is that the dealer said the break-in period for the maggies is like 6 months. He also said that the initial phase is quick but they reach their full potential at 6 months.

Quote: from James Tanner V/P Bryston on the Maggie 1.6 review.

"One last point to be aware of is that the Mylar membrane used in all the Magneplanar's are 'stretched' under incredible tension when the speaker is manufactured. It takes about 6 months for this stretch to 'relax' and as it does the lower end of each driver's frequency response improves. With that relaxation comes an improvement in transient attack and integration. So the moral of this story is to not be too quick to judge the speaker in the first few months of use as things will change for the better as it matures".

Most people don't know what they want...but, they're pretty sure they haven't got it. ©

vinyl is offline  
post #456 of 3908 Old 03-23-2009, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
elockett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 962
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuspeed View Post

The shop was nicer than I was expecting. He was very knowledgeable and showed me a few different things. All in all, he sold me on the 1.6s (an easy sale) but also that he can help me in my whole house audio search. He even said that if I sent him a picture of where I was thinking of placing the 1.6s he could give me advice on placement and treatments. I was very happy.

I am including some pictures of the room with the Maggies ('cause everyone else is ). I'm almost finished with the music in the backyard so I have the SO's permission to resume playing with the home theater. So today I'll go to lowes and get some upright stands and maybe some of the modular shelving to get the mmg's up. The TV will be going on the wall sometime in the next week or so, pending the purchase of a wall mount. I'll also be putting in an equipment rack that's slimmer so I can have more control in placement.

EDIT: The quasi ribbons are on the inside currently. Oli suggested that I may want to place them on the outside if I can't get enough separation between the speakers.

That looks like a very cozy setup you have there. I like it!

Eric
elockett is offline  
post #457 of 3908 Old 03-23-2009, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
mrlittlejeans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Memphis
Posts: 4,751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I have always placed the tweeters on the outside. Found I had better imaging that way.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

mrlittlejeans is offline  
post #458 of 3908 Old 03-23-2009, 10:22 PM
Member
 
Daves World's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Garland, Texas
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwozniak View Post

How are you getting around turntable feedback? I had to put my TT in another room. It's in an adjacent room, and shelf mounted. (Had to keep it out of the reach of the rugrats).

Paul,

I have piece of 3/4" plywood covered with about an 1/8" of lead and I have the feet sitting on some stiff foam disks I picked up from work. Even just the foam helps.

Before I did that I could not turn it up very much. Now I get zero feedback.



Here are a couple of close up pictures of it.

Dave
LL
LL
Daves World is offline  
post #459 of 3908 Old 03-23-2009, 10:33 PM
Member
 
Daves World's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Garland, Texas
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuspeed View Post

The shop was nicer than I was expecting. He was very knowledgeable and showed me a few different things. All in all, he sold me on the 1.6s (an easy sale) but also that he can help me in my whole house audio search. He even said that if I sent him a picture of where I was thinking of placing the 1.6s he could give me advice on placement and treatments. I was very happy.

I am including some pictures of the room with the Maggies ('cause everyone else is ). I'm almost finished with the music in the backyard so I have the SO's permission to resume playing with the home theater. So today I'll go to lowes and get some upright stands and maybe some of the modular shelving to get the mmg's up. The TV will be going on the wall sometime in the next week or so, pending the purchase of a wall mount. I'll also be putting in an equipment rack that's slimmer so I can have more control in placement.

EDIT: The quasi ribbons are on the inside currently. Oli suggested that I may want to place them on the outside if I can't get enough separation between the speakers.


Very nice setup. I just went through the placement process Friday night. One day this week the audio shop is coming out to see how well I did and tweak them if needed. I also have the ribbons on the outside.
Daves World is offline  
post #460 of 3908 Old 03-24-2009, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
mrlittlejeans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Memphis
Posts: 4,751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinyl View Post

Quote: from James Tanner V/P Bryston on the Maggie 1.6 review.

"One last point to be aware of is that the Mylar membrane used in all the Magneplanar's are 'stretched' under incredible tension when the speaker is manufactured. It takes about 6 months for this stretch to 'relax' and as it does the lower end of each driver's frequency response improves. With that relaxation comes an improvement in transient attack and integration. So the moral of this story is to not be too quick to judge the speaker in the first few months of use as things will change for the better as it matures".

Thanks for the quote. It mirrors my thoughts as well.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

mrlittlejeans is offline  
post #461 of 3908 Old 03-24-2009, 11:54 AM
Senior Member
 
paulwozniak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hamtramck MI
Posts: 458
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves World View Post

Paul,

I have piece of 3/4" plywood covered with about an 1/8" of lead and I have the feet sitting on some stiff foam disks I picked up from work. Even just the foam helps.

Before I did that I could not turn it up very much. Now I get zero feedback.



Here are a couple of close up pictures of it.

Dave

Thanks for answering. I was just curious seeing that your TT's were so close to the speakers.
paulwozniak is offline  
post #462 of 3908 Old 03-24-2009, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mupi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I will be upgrading to MG12. Bought the MMGs just last week.
before I trade the MMGs in I was wondering if I can use a single
MMG for center channel by placing it horizontally. I have 2 speaker stands that will serve as stands for a single MMG until I do a DIY stand. It sounds ok but I was wondering if I shound spend the extra money on a CC3.
I dont want to use 2 MMGs for center as 4 maggies at the front doesnt look good. Any thoughts?

If it works out then I can sell the other sigle MMG :-) It would be a lot cheaper option than CC3.
Mupi is offline  
post #463 of 3908 Old 03-24-2009, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
mrlittlejeans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Memphis
Posts: 4,751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 201
The issue with placing the MMG is going to revolve around the dispersion of the driver. The question has been asked before and, IIRC, the answer was that it wouldn't be the best solution. I imagine, based on the behavior of upright maggies, you would have a good sound as long as your ears intersected with the plane originating from the tweeter line at a right angle to the panel and as long as you were in front of the speaker and not off to the sides, you would have a good sound. I probably didn't explain that quite right and may be totally wrong, but that is the feeling I got when investigating this once before.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

mrlittlejeans is offline  
post #464 of 3908 Old 03-24-2009, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
elockett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 962
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mupi View Post

I will be upgrading to MG12. Bought the MMGs just last week.
before I trade the MMGs in I was wondering if I can use a single
MMG for center channel by placing it horizontally. I have 2 speaker stands that will serve as stands for a single MMG until I do a DIY stand. It sounds ok but I was wondering if I shound spend the extra money on a CC3.
I dont want to use 2 MMGs for center as 4 maggies at the front doesnt look good. Any thoughts?

If it works out then I can sell the other sigle MMG :-) It would be a lot cheaper option than CC3.

If you lay a MMG horizontally, you'll experience a rapid roll off in sound (especially in the treble) if listener's ears fall outside the width of its drivers (ie: you look straight ahead and are not looking directly at the drivers). This is why the CC3 and MMG-C are curved horizontally. Now, if only one person is going to listen to the center channel's sound, and that person can sit at the midpoint of the MMG's drivers, that should work-but only for one person.
If cash is tight, why not try the MMG-C? It has generally received good reviews and can be returned for full credit if you don't like it.

Eric
elockett is offline  
post #465 of 3908 Old 03-24-2009, 10:41 PM
Member
 
viper43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves World View Post

Hey Viper,

Thanks for the kind words! By the way the DVR pictured is a Verizon FiOS box. Fiber optic all the way to the house much more powerful than a "cable box".

The gear (top to bottom) Left side

Rega Planar 2 Turntable (RB250 arm)

2 Parasound Zphono pre-amps

Phillips CD Recorder

Yamaha M60 amp (170 w x 2 Bi amped HT center Polk CSi5)

Yamaha RX-V663 AVR

The gear (top to bottom) Right side

Panasonic RD 2900 Turntable

Playstation 3

Super duper cable box!

Yamaha MX600 amp (135 w x 2 Bi amped right HT surround)

Yamaha MX600 amp (135 w x 2 Bi amped left HT surround)

Yamaha MX 800 amp (220 w X 2 Bi Amped left Maggie)

Yamaha MX 800 amp ( 220 w X 2 Bi Amped left right Maggie)

The amps for each of the Maggie's are on each side of the TV (Toshiba 50" DLP).

Hiding behind the couch is a:

Carver TFM 25 (225 w x 2 shared by the rear surrounds).

As you can see I got a really good deal on several Yamaha amps I just could not pass on.

I am running 2 Outlaw EX subs (350 w each) and although I have only had the Maggie's since Friday I am very pleased with the amount of bass they produce. I also have a HSU mid bass module (350 w) to help blend the mid and low bass. Allows me to set the Outlaw's crossovers around 45 hz.

I found out real quick that the Maggie's love more and more power. So I know I wil be upgrading to something larger in the near future.

I think all the dealers are the same in that they want you to buy more than you plan on. That's just the business they are in. That way they can show off the real high dollar stuff. I love going into them but hate to walk out empty handed.

I lived in Everett many years ago and would go into Seattle just to hit the high end shops. Great area and lots to do!

Have fun looking and building your system. That's what it is all about enjoyment!

Wow ... i could not even remember all that if i had it. Great setup Dave. I am truly envious.

I appreciate you sharing.

You mentioned you went to Seattle now and then. Did you visit Definitive audio?

The salesman at Definitive was suggesting 3.6s for me. What are the major differences between the 1.6s and 3.6s?

Are they worth the difference in price?

thanks to all of you for your comments.
viper43 is offline  
post #466 of 3908 Old 03-24-2009, 10:46 PM
Member
 
viper43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinyl View Post

Quote: from James Tanner V/P Bryston on the Maggie 1.6 review.

"One last point to be aware of is that the Mylar membrane used in all the Magneplanar's are 'stretched' under incredible tension when the speaker is manufactured. It takes about 6 months for this stretch to 'relax' and as it does the lower end of each driver's frequency response improves. With that relaxation comes an improvement in transient attack and integration. So the moral of this story is to not be too quick to judge the speaker in the first few months of use as things will change for the better as it matures".

Vinyl,

good info ... that means I cannot invite my son-in-law over for one-upsmanship for quite awhile to show them off after I buy them ... darn.
viper43 is offline  
post #467 of 3908 Old 03-25-2009, 06:47 AM
Member
 
Daves World's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Garland, Texas
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper43 View Post

Wow ... i could not even remember all that if i had it. Great setup Dave. I am truly envious.

I appreciate you sharing.

You mentioned you went to Seattle now and then. Did you visit Definitive audio?

The salesman at Definitive was suggesting 3.6s for me. What are the major differences between the 1.6s and 3.6s?

Are they worth the difference in price?

thanks to all of you for your comments.

Viper,

Thanks, I just have been fortunate enough to be able to put it together!

As for the differences between the 1.6's and 3.6's I could not tell you much. I do know that the 3.6's really need more room to "breathe" than the 1.6's, also they are about a foot taller. I did not think they would work in my room (14'x 20'). They are also double the price of the 1.6's.

Maybe some of the guys who have them will be able to give more details. If I had the room they would probally be sitting in the house now.

It was many years ago when I lived in the Seattle area (early 80's). I don't even remember the names of the shops I visited. Back then their were shops all over the place. Beautiful area, my Dad was a Forrest Ranger on the North side of Mount Baker. He talked me into moving there from Alaska and I just kept going south until I found a nice warm place to hang out.
Daves World is offline  
post #468 of 3908 Old 03-25-2009, 08:46 AM
Member
 
ryuspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Based on everyone's advice, last night I got the MMGs up, vertical and ribbons out. I used the L-brackets and the lowes shelving to get them about 8 inches off the ground. The imaging is much improved. Obviously not as nice as the 1.6's but I also only spent about 15 minutes doing placement. I'm waiting on a wall mount to come from monoprice and then I'll be able to get rid of the wide TV stand and do a better job with placement, but thanks for all your advice. It really did work wonders.

So another question, does anyone have any good methodology for speaker placement. That is, I can tell when it's not the way I want it, but I don't know if I should move the speakers apart or closer together or toe in, etc.
ryuspeed is offline  
post #469 of 3908 Old 03-25-2009, 09:05 AM
Member
 
Daves World's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Garland, Texas
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuspeed View Post

Based on everyone's advice, last night I got the MMGs up, vertical and ribbons out. I used the L-brackets and the lowes shelving to get them about 8 inches off the ground. The imaging is much improved. Obviously not as nice as the 1.6's but I also only spent about 15 minutes doing placement. I'm waiting on a wall mount to come from monoprice and then I'll be able to get rid of the wide TV stand and do a better job with placement, but thanks for all your advice. It really did work wonders.

So another question, does anyone have any good methodology for speaker placement. That is, I can tell when it's not the way I want it, but I don't know if I should move the speakers apart or closer together or toe in, etc.

Trial and error is the only thing I have found. I make an adjustment and then listen for a little while before I make another one. It also helps to have a friend sitting there to get their opinion. I just put a tape measure on the floor and make sure I move them both the same distance. Moving them towards the back wall wil give more bass, even adjusting the toe in or out 1 inch will make a big difference in sound.

I have the audio shop coming out tomorrow to see if I have them setup properly. It's part of their service. They would have delivered them and set them up for me, but I wanted to learn on my own and then have them come out and "tweak" them. I hope to learn a few things from them and I will share whatever they tell me.
Daves World is offline  
post #470 of 3908 Old 03-25-2009, 10:24 AM
Member
 
bibo01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mupi,

I have a pair of MC1s as central (3.6 as mains). I can tell you that they sound better than a single MMG-C and, most of the times, of CC3 as well. The spectrum given by a pair is bigger. They are easy to connect in series or by bridging 2 channels. The sound will be dead centre. Many people opt for this solution and it was the same advice I received from Magnepan, especially if you cannot place the speaker at ear level.
Think back again to a pair of MMGs.
bibo01 is offline  
post #471 of 3908 Old 03-25-2009, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mupi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibo01 View Post

Mupi,

I have a pair of MC1s as central (3.6 as mains). I can tell you that they sound better than a single MMG-C and, most of the times, of CC3 as well. The spectrum given by a pair is bigger. They are easy to connect in series or by bridging 2 channels. The sound will be dead centre. Many people opt for this solution and it was the same advice I received from Magnepan, especially if you cannot place the speaker at ear level.
Think back again to a pair of MMGs.

Glad to hear that. I have read reviews where they had mentioned the use of 2maggies for center. My main concern is the look i.e I will end up with 4 maggies at the front. May be a bit overwhelming aesthetically.

Not that I am short on cash. I didnt want to spend close to $1000 on CC3.
(I missed a CC1 on Audiogon for $399, darn!). Instead I wanted to put that $1000 on a new Rotel RB-1080. Also I bought the MMGs from the dealer as I didnt have the patience to wait for the order from Magnepan. The dealer said he will allow me to upgrade to MG12s but I never know. If he gets pissed off for some reason or if he doesnt give me full $600, then I thought of just keeping them for the center channel.

I will probably try them by connecting in series and see how they sound compared to my current Boston Acoustics Horizon HS225 center channel speaker.
Mupi is offline  
post #472 of 3908 Old 03-27-2009, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mupi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
well I ordered the MG12s. I called Magnepan if I could return the MMGs that I bought from the dealer last week. They said they will have to call some higher-ups and will let me know. Since I am upgrading to MG12 they might let me return the MMGs. In case they dont then look for a pair of brand new MMGs at Audiogon soon. I paid $661 ($624+tax, yep the dealer cost for MMG is $624). The cost directly from Magnepan is $639 ($599+40. sipping is $40 within US). Most likely I will put it up for $485+shipping
Mupi is offline  
post #473 of 3908 Old 03-27-2009, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
elockett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 962
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hopefully, Magnepan will see the light and give you full credit for the MMGs. Were they new from your dealer? Even if Magnepan says no, the good news is that Maggies in general hold their resale value pretty well.

Eric
elockett is offline  
post #474 of 3908 Old 03-27-2009, 08:47 PM
Senior Member
 
sdv5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 371
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mupi View Post

Glad to hear that. I have read reviews where they had mentioned the use of 2maggies for center. My main concern is the look i.e I will end up with 4 maggies at the front. May be a bit overwhelming aesthetically.

If you have a dedicated HT room, aesthetics may not be a problem. Hold on to your MMGs. Chances are pretty good they will blend a lot better with your new MG 1.2 if you set them up as dual mono center channel. See diagram from MC-1 manual for more details. Essentially, you would position them next to your display and angle them towards the listener. Then you would put MG 1.2 as L and R.

I suspect that you will have an outstanding combination. Quite possibly better than with CC3. You see, CC3 is on the very small side compared to MMG, let alone MG 1.2. Moreover, the dispersion pattern is way off compared to your vertically standing L and R speakers. There is only so much magic that a curved driver can perform. On the other hand, a dual mono center channel from MMGs will have the exact same dispersion pattern, and even larger combined surface area than individual L or R speaker. It should provide for much more seamless integration.

Why don't you try it before you return MMG and let us know what you find out?
sdv5 is offline  
post #475 of 3908 Old 03-28-2009, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mupi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdv5 View Post

If you have a dedicated HT room, aesthetics may not be a problem. Hold on to your MMGs. Chances are pretty good they will blend a lot better with your new MG 1.2 if you set them up as dual mono center channel. See diagram from MC-1 manual for more details. Essentially, you would position them next to your display and angle them towards the listener. Then you would put MG 1.2 as L and R.

I suspect that you will have an outstanding combination. Quite possibly better than with CC3. You see, CC3 is on the very small side compared to MMG, let alone MG 1.2. Moreover, the dispersion pattern is way off compared to your vertically standing L and R speakers. There is only so much magic that a curved driver can perform. On the other hand, a dual mono center channel from MMGs will have the exact same dispersion pattern, and even larger combined surface area than individual L or R speaker. It should provide for much more seamless integration.

Why don't you try it before you return MMG and let us know what you find out?

yep I did try the MMG as dual mono center i.e 2 MMGs in series and certainly it sounds better than a single horizontal MMG. I am sure I will have the same problem with a CC3. I had to keep my ears at the level of the tweeter ribbon to hear the highs. A single MMG or CC3 can only be as high as the bottom of the display. I have a projector so the MMG cant be any higher than the bottom edge of the screen. When I sit on my couch my ears are certainly above the lower edge of the screen so even if I am sitting at the center, I dont hear most of the treble.

Where as with 2 MMGs I wont have that problem but the main issue is that if I am sitting to one side of the image then I hear only the MMG on that side so the sound is coming from that side. Where as with a regular center channel speaker, even if I am sitting towards one side of the image, the center channel sound will come from the center speaker. But for this issue the sound is much bigger than my boston acoustics HS225 center channel. of course the MMGs wont play as loud as the HS225. The soundstage appears bigger.

I prefer the HS225 as I dont like the sound coming from one side in the case of dual MMG. I am single but when I watch TV or even movies in cable I lean on one side of the couch as it is comfortable to stretch on the couch than to sit straight at the center. So I prefer the sound to come from the center. I dont have rear speakers so my HT is basically 3.1

Moreover I dont have a dedicated dark HT room in the basement. So 4 maggies in a row is a bit overwhelming and also I dont have much space for 4 maggies.

BTW is $485 a good asking price for a brand new pair of MMGs. yes I bought them brand new in a sealed box. I am losing nearly $200 or so with that asking price. I normally spend more on shipping like tapes etc. which I dont include in the shipping cost. I dont think anyone would pay more for MMGs at Audiogon as they can be bought direct from Magnepan with 60day return.

The main reason the dealer doesnt want to take the MMGs back is that I borrowed both MMGs and MG12s for home audition and decided to go with the MMGs. I ordered the MG12s anyway since I am willing to take a $200 hit if I can get the bigger soundstahe of the MG12s and the highs. If I dont hear the highs then I will have to sell the MG12s and take a bigger hit!

I didnt hear the highs from MG12s as I didnt raise the MG12s like I did with the MMGs. when I put the MMGs also on the floor the highs were like the
MG12s ie the treble would be more pronounced only if I turn my head to one side.

Since I am getting all the highs with the MMGs after raising them by some
11'', I am hoping that I would get the same with the MG12s also if I raise them. Will see next week when I get my new MG12s.
Mupi is offline  
post #476 of 3908 Old 03-28-2009, 02:44 PM
Senior Member
 
sdv5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 371
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mupi View Post

Where as with 2 MMGs I wont have that problem but the main issue is that if I am sitting to one side of the image then I hear only the MMG on that side so the sound is coming from that side. Where as with a regular center channel speaker, even if I am sitting towards one side of the image, the center channel sound will come from the center speaker.

Room acoustics are one of the most important factors in sound quality, and it may very well be that you cannot get a solid, locked center channel with two MMGs flanking the screen. I have MG1.6 (on Mye stands) and MMG (on Sound Anchors stands), and have tried lots of experiments. The idea is to orient MMGs at an angle relative to the screen. Start with 45 degree angle, and gradually adjust until the MMGs are at 90 degree angle (pointing directly at each other). Somewhere in between you may find the ideal orientation.

Also, I would place MMGs so that tweeters are on the outside when they are flanking the screen at 45 degree angle (or so). But, I would place L and R speakers with tweeters on the inside, and adjust toe-in angle until you get the right soundstage at your listening position.

When you are sitting to one side of the image, you should *not* hear only the MMG on *that* side, as you mentioned. In fact, you should be getting a lot more sound from the MMG on the other side because it will be pointing more directly towards you. Also, this is a *mono* dual channel set-up, so both MMGs produce the same sound. With a little bit of experimentation you may be able to angle the MMGs just right for your room configuration to get a solid, centrally locked image. Relative to single CC3 positioned below (or above) the screen, two MMGs flanking the screen at just the right angle will have:

- a lot more surface area and a lot better bass
- no issues with treble roll-off
- the same dispersion pattern as the L and R Maggie speakers further to the side
- nearly the same vertical image size as the L and R Maggie speakers
- much better potential to blend seamlessly with MG 1.2 or MG 1.6
- considerably lower price

The only downside is aesthetics especially if HT is not in a dedicated room.
sdv5 is offline  
post #477 of 3908 Old 03-28-2009, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mupi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdv5 View Post

Room acoustics are one of the most important factors in sound quality, and it may very well be that you cannot get a solid, locked center channel with two MMGs flanking the screen. I have MG1.6 (on Mye stands) and MMG (on Sound Anchors stands), and have tried lots of experiments. The idea is to orient MMGs at an angle relative to the screen. Start with 45 degree angle, and gradually adjust until the MMGs are at 90 degree angle (pointing directly at each other). Somewhere in between you may find the ideal orientation.

Also, I would place MMGs so that tweeters are on the outside when they are flanking the screen at 45 degree angle (or so). But, I would place L and R speakers with tweeters on the inside, and adjust toe-in angle until you get the right soundstage at your listening position.

When you are sitting to one side of the image, you should *not* hear only the MMG on *that* side, as you mentioned. In fact, you should be getting a lot more sound from the MMG on the other side because it will be pointing more directly towards you. Also, this is a *mono* dual channel set-up, so both MMGs produce the same sound. With a little bit of experimentation you may be able to angle the MMGs just right for your room configuration to get a solid, centrally locked image. Relative to single CC3 positioned below (or above) the screen, two MMGs flanking the screen at just the right angle will have:

- a lot more surface area and a lot better bass
- no issues with treble roll-off
- the same dispersion pattern as the L and R Maggie speakers further to the side
- nearly the same vertical image size as the L and R Maggie speakers
- much better potential to blend seamlessly with MG 1.2 or MG 1.6
- considerably lower price

The only downside is aesthetics especially if HT is not in a dedicated room.


Thanks for the tips. Nope I didnt position the MMGs with 45 deg angle. I will try that today.

Aesthetics is really not a big deal for me. I am single and no one ever comes to my house. Even to me I thought having 4 big maggies might be overwhelming. Also I have to keep the MMGs outside the image so that they dont block the image when I sit at one end of the couch. That leaves very little space for MG12s. I guess I have to rearrange my living room and use the wider side to stage the maggies and then find a way to get the image where the fire place is. That is going to be tough.

Anyway... will try the MMGs at 45 deg angle. Sure 2 MMGs for center is a lot cheaper than a CC3 and also gives better sound. There is no way for me to place the CC3 above the image. So I am going to waste money by buying a CC3 or CC1. Instead of losing some $200 by selling the MMGs, I might as well put them to good use. May be some day I could use them as rears or just move them to my bedroom as I am not using my old yamaha AVR and also when I get the MG12 I am not going to need the sub anymore. So will move the sub and MMGs to the bed toom.

Will see how things work out. If Magnepan offers to take the MMGs back, of course problem solved :-)
Mupi is offline  
post #478 of 3908 Old 03-28-2009, 04:43 PM
Member
 
blizzardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How would an Arcam AVR do driving MMGs? I need a digital input - is there a better solution under $1000? What about a peachtree decco?
blizzardo is offline  
post #479 of 3908 Old 03-28-2009, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cctvtech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,026
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzardo View Post

How would an Arcam AVR do driving MMGs? I need a digital input - is there a better solution under $1000? What about a peachtree decco?

The AVR600? It should do just fine. It's rated at 120WRMS/channel into 4 or 8 ohms, all channels driven. That's plenty for the MMG's unless you need ear-splitting volume.

Be seeing you!
cctvtech is offline  
post #480 of 3908 Old 03-29-2009, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mupi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I tried using 2 MMGs but could not lock the sound to the center.

So I tried a single MMG. I am able to get it to ear level. of course now the set up is crude. But once I build a DIY stand it should look better. It should not be difficult to make a DIY stand. Those are the parts express high mass 24'' stands that I was using with the Klipsch RB81s I use to have. I need one stand to keep my sunfire true sub junior. otherwise I could have just used those stands and added some more MDF panels to the bottom of the stands to raise them to ear level.

Will try this set up and see how I like it compared to a conventional center speaker. I had a Klipsch RC62 before and I liked its crisp sound. I sold my Klipsch gear (RB81s and RC62) as I wanted to move to the Magnepan and I have been using the Boston HS225 as a temp center channel. I have to play a DVD instead of the cable movies to see how good the conversations are with a single MMG center. CNN news etc sound pretty good.
Mupi is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Magnepan , Magnepan Mmg , Magnepan Mini Maggie System , Magnepan Mg 1 7 , Magnepan Mg 3 7

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off