The Official Magnepan Owners Thread - Page 160 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #4771 of 4772 Old Today, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Originally Posted by ghstudio View Post
Thanks for the influx of thoughts.

grigorianvlad: you suggest using all magnepan's, but you apparently use a Polk center....would you explain.
Fair question. I started with an all-Polk setup (except for the subs). But then upgraded L/R to Maggies. Then added a pair of Eminent Technology LFT-8b's to L/R. The Eminents combine best of both worlds - planar and cone, so they are good for HT. But lack with music. So, the Maggies and Eminents both run in parallel, using different power amps. The processor feeds the same L/R signal , one through RCA the other thru XLR. This way both music and HT sound great.

DAC: Wyred4Sound DAC1LE || Processor: Marantz AV8801 11.2 Ch || Power Amps: Audio Research VS110 (100W tube) || Emotiva XPR-2 (600W), Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2 & UPA-500 (200W/80W) || L/R Speakers: Eminent LFT-8b , Magnepan 2.7, Center : Polk LSiM-704C, Sur: Polk LSiM-703 || Sub 1: Rythmik F25 (800W). Sub 2: Sunfire True Signature TS-EQ12 (2,700W) || Cables: MIT terminator 2 Biwire, 4, Exp; Cardas Crosslink || Power: Panamax M5300 || HP: HifiMan HE560
Sponsored Links
post #4772 of 4772 Old Today, 04:10 PM
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
The center channel discussion is always interesting. I don't have a golden ear, so I only rely on the center channel to "center" voices when I'm watching a movie. I've never noticed a really bad effect even when the center channel speaker is el cheapo.

So I finally finished my set up:

MGMC1 front
MMGW rear
SVS SB-1000 sub
NAD T748 Receiver
Emotiva BASX A300 to drive just the front speakers (the rears are driven by the T748)
A pretty standard Samsung TV.

I use the TVs speaker as the center channel, and it sounds just fine to me for movies. I wouldn't listen to music on that speaker, but making it just loud enough to help center voices it's fine, and it came with the TV.

In the old house I did the same thing, using the old CRT TVs terrible speaker as a center channel, and it seemed fine.
Sponsored Links
Reply Speakers

Magnepan , Magnepan Mmg , Magnepan Mini Maggie System , Magnepan Mg 1 7 , Magnepan Mg 3 7

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page