The Official Magnepan Owners Thread - Page 163 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 190Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #4861 of 4887 Unread 02-22-2017, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DonH50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Monument CO
Posts: 9,773
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1883 Post(s)
Liked: 1415
You can place dipoles close to a side wall; they do not radiate much directly to the sides (or top/bottom). I think you could make the larger models work and be much happier with the sound. The little MMG's, with very limited listening time, sounded drastically different (worse) to me than the larger models.

FWIWFM - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
DonH50 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4862 of 4887 Unread 02-23-2017, 11:31 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Budget amp choices for MMG

Hi folks,

I'm in the planning stages of dipping my toes in the hi-fi water (call me a complete rookie), and I've got my heart set on a pair of MMGs. I know it's best not to cheap out on an amp to drive them, but I'm wondering what my options are for an appropriate amp setup with as big a bang-to-buck ratio as possible. I've heard folks recommending some NAD integrated amps (C326BEE, C356BEE) as well as a couple from Peachtree, but I'm completely out of my depth for making any such decisions and have no Maggie dealers in my area (Winnipeg, Canada) to ask for advice or to provide me with a listen. So I'm hoping that you all might have some wisdom for me. Any suggestions? I'd be building the system from scratch, but as simply as possible.

Thanks!
tduck1 is offline  
post #4863 of 4887 Unread 02-23-2017, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DonH50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Monument CO
Posts: 9,773
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1883 Post(s)
Liked: 1415
The biggest bang for buck amps are probably the Crown XLS series. I have not heard them on Maggies but they are well-regarded on AVS. Are you looking for a power amp or integrated? What do you have now?

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
DonH50 is offline  
 
post #4864 of 4887 Unread 02-23-2017, 07:19 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'd probably go integrated, just because it seems simplest and I don't want to end up with a forest of components. I am looking to build an audio system from the ground up, having no components to start with. I've seen the MMG's glowingly reviewed everywhere, so I figured I'd see what it would take to put together a system around them. Crown XLS, hey? Thanks for the start!
tduck1 is offline  
post #4865 of 4887 Unread 02-23-2017, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DonH50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Monument CO
Posts: 9,773
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1883 Post(s)
Liked: 1415
What do you plan for source material? Will this be a music-only system or HT/mixed-use? Do you want a receiver (with an AM/FM tuner) or just a basic integrated amplifier (preamp/amp)? Budget?

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
DonH50 is offline  
post #4866 of 4887 Unread 02-24-2017, 06:20 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tduck1 View Post
Hi folks,

I'm in the planning stages of dipping my toes in the hi-fi water (call me a complete rookie), and I've got my heart set on a pair of MMGs. I know it's best not to cheap out on an amp to drive them, but I'm wondering what my options are for an appropriate amp setup with as big a bang-to-buck ratio as possible. I've heard folks recommending some NAD integrated amps (C326BEE, C356BEE) as well as a couple from Peachtree, but I'm completely out of my depth for making any such decisions and have no Maggie dealers in my area (Winnipeg, Canada) to ask for advice or to provide me with a listen. So I'm hoping that you all might have some wisdom for me. Any suggestions? I'd be building the system from scratch, but as simply as possible.

Thanks!
I am trying to get the best of both worlds (HT and 2 channel). My plan is to have the MMG or .7 (leaning to MMG) for the fronts and MMGW for the rear.


I have only done a little research on the Crown line of amps (do seem to have a great price point) but for not much more I plan to go with the Outlaw 975 and a pair of Outlaw 2200's for the fronts. For the price the Crown 1002 might be a good option for me for the rears.


Of course my mind will change at will before I actually make the purchase.
actonusa is offline  
post #4867 of 4887 Unread 02-24-2017, 06:01 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
What do you plan for source material? Will this be a music-only system or HT/mixed-use? Do you want a receiver (with an AM/FM tuner) or just a basic integrated amplifier (preamp/amp)? Budget?
I expect to use the system almost exclusively for music either directly from a MacBook Pro or streamed through Apple TV. I have no need for a tuner, though, so a simple integrated amp will do fine. I don't have a specific budget at the moment. I'm hoping to get a bead on what some options are for worthy components and then see if I can find them used or on sale. Do you think it's possible to put something together for around $1500 + the speakers?
tduck1 is offline  
post #4868 of 4887 Unread 02-24-2017, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DonH50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Monument CO
Posts: 9,773
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1883 Post(s)
Liked: 1415
You'd be better off posting in the receiver subforum; you'll get a lot more and probably better advice. I am not really competent as I have not heard most of the gear you would likely choose. A quick look at the Crutchfield site (happened to be looking there for something else) reveals a number of sub-$1500 integrated amplifiers so I am sure there are a number to choose from. My guess is you could find something for $1000 or less that would work fine with the MMGs (or .7's). You might want to step up to the .7's, or 1.7's (or used 1.6's), and spend a little less on the integrated amp.

http://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearc...amplifier.html -- I couldn't seem to make the link work...

You could also ping the folk at AVS Sales.

HTH - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley

Last edited by DonH50; 02-25-2017 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Too many spellink mistakes
DonH50 is offline  
post #4869 of 4887 Unread 02-25-2017, 06:22 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks Don! Much appreciated.
tduck1 is offline  
post #4870 of 4887 Unread 02-28-2017, 07:47 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by strindl View Post
We seem to have similar tastes in audio equipment. The Stasis amps turned out by the Nelson Pass era Threshold Corporation were and are some of the best amps I've ever heard. I have four of them still and all work and sound as good today as the day they were purchased new. They are exactly what Magnepans need to sound their best with incredibly robust power supplies producing plenty of clean audio power into low impedance loads. The S500e and the SA/4e are two of the best amps Threshold produced. Listening to each through my Magnepan 1.7's , I can't fault either amp for the sound it's capable of. The SA/4e gets the nod for being the better sounding amp on the maggies, but either amp gets the most out of what Magnepans can deliver..
Good to hear! Given my experience with maggies, high current amps allow them to perform at their best, and the Thresholds are some of the most satisfying I've heard.

Have you positioned them well within the room, toed them in and adjusted the vertical angle, etc? I recently placed mine is a larger room than before and added a sub.

I feel that my old room had more slam, although I never ran a sub in this room. The room was about half the size of my current room and my listening position was against the back wall which definitely boosted the bass. I think the smaller room might have artificially boosted the bass response and I might have got used to it...
scansp7 is offline  
post #4871 of 4887 Unread 02-28-2017, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DonH50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Monument CO
Posts: 9,773
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1883 Post(s)
Liked: 1415
Smaller rooms do provide bass boost, nothing artificial about it... But also moves nulls higher in frequency. Note that sitting closer can enhance the sound. You could try boosting the LF a bit if your system allows that. A boost in the 60 - 120 Hz range usually provides more "slam" and "boom".

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
DonH50 is offline  
post #4872 of 4887 Unread 03-14-2017, 10:50 PM
Member
 
snoroqc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tduck1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
What do you plan for source material? Will this be a music-only system or HT/mixed-use? Do you want a receiver (with an AM/FM tuner) or just a basic integrated amplifier (preamp/amp)? Budget?
I expect to use the system almost exclusively for music either directly from a MacBook Pro or streamed through Apple TV. I have no need for a tuner, though, so a simple integrated amp will do fine. I don't have a specific budget at the moment. I'm hoping to get a bead on what some options are for worthy components and then see if I can find them used or on sale. Do you think it's possible to put something together for around $1500 + the speakers?
I had the same question couple weeks ago. My setup is Chromecast Audio 45$--- Schiit modi 2 Uber 220$ - used nad c370 400$- magnepan MMGs 850$. Total is 1500cad$. I ripped my CDs in FLAC and setup an dlna server on my router. I browse my library with bubbleupnp on Android devices. For the price, cannot be happier.
snoroqc is offline  
post #4873 of 4887 Unread 03-17-2017, 07:29 AM
Newbie
 
DigitalShaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Whew I made it through just about this whole thread. I did skip over a few pages. I started reading it 3 weeks ago when I ordered a pair of .7s. These are my 3rd pair of Maggies. I bought my first pair, SMGa's around 1984. It was Michael Hedges Breakfast in the Field that sealed it for me. The sound of that recording was just stunning. After the SMGa's started to fail 12 years later I bought a pair of MGLR-1s. Recently one of my MGs started the delam rattle and instead of repairing I splurged for the .7s I wanted the 1.7s, but the WAF prevented that.

The break-in process has started and I'm already starting to hear the lower end open up. I'm running it as a 2.1 setup for music and HT. I have the speakers powered by an old Bryston 4b that I got for a steal and sent back to them for refurbish. They brought it back up to spec close to SST performance. I currently have a NAD 7100 preamp and am thinking updating to a modern AV pre is my next upgrade, though my Dayton Audio sub is also a weak link.

Once I take a picture and do some measuring I'll be back for some room treatment suggestions.

Marc
DigitalShaman is offline  
post #4874 of 4887 Unread 03-17-2017, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
strindl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 543
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalShaman View Post
Whew I made it through just about this whole thread. I did skip over a few pages. I started reading it 3 weeks ago when I ordered a pair of .7s. These are my 3rd pair of Maggies. I bought my first pair, SMGa's around 1984. It was Michael Hedges Breakfast in the Field that sealed it for me. The sound of that recording was just stunning. After the SMGa's started to fail 12 years later I bought a pair of MGLR-1s. Recently one of my MGs started the delam rattle and instead of repairing I splurged for the .7s I wanted the 1.7s, but the WAF prevented that.

The break-in process has started and I'm already starting to hear the lower end open up. I'm running it as a 2.1 setup for music and HT. I have the speakers powered by an old Bryston 4b that I got for a steal and sent back to them for refurbish. They brought it back up to spec close to SST performance. I currently have a NAD 7100 preamp and am thinking updating to a modern AV pre is my next upgrade, though my Dayton Audio sub is also a weak link.

Once I take a picture and do some measuring I'll be back for some room treatment suggestions.

Marc
I've listened to the .7's at my local Magnepan dealer and they are impressive. Like you, I've owned maggies for lots of years starting with a pair of Tympani 1d's back in 1978. Others I've owned are MGIIIa's, 1c's, MG1.6's, MG1.7's and MMG's.

I'm wondering about the longevity of yours as you mentioned you had a couple that needed service at some point. None of my Magnepans has ever had any issues with needing service. I currently own a pair of 1.6's that I purchased in 2001 that are still working perfectly, along with 1.7's , a CC3 and a pair of MMG's all bought in 2010.

Main system: Thiel 3.6 L/R speakers, Pair of Velodyne F1500r subs, B&W HTM center, Emotiva and Polk RTi 28 surrounds, Integra DHC 9.9 pre/proc, Pair of Emotiva XPA-1's, Emotiva XPA-5, Threshold SA/4e, pair of Threshold S/200's, Oracle Delphi TT w Magnepan Unitrac 1 arm and Shure V15 - Vmr, Logitech Squeezebox Touch, Oppo BDP 83 optical disc player, Threshold T2 preamp, Denon DR-M44HX cassette, Pioneer CLD-97 Laserdisc. LG PF1500 led projector,Elite 100"tab tension-ed motorized screen.
strindl is offline  
post #4875 of 4887 Unread 03-17-2017, 12:21 PM
Member
 
oneartist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Central CA
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by strindl View Post
I've listened to the .7's at my local Magnepan dealer and they are impressive. Like you, I've owned maggies for lots of years starting with a pair of Tympani 1d's back in 1978. Others I've owned are MGIIIa's, 1c's, MG1.6's, MG1.7's and MMG's.

I'm wondering about the longevity of yours as you mentioned you had a couple that needed service at some point. None of my Magnepans has ever had any issues with needing service. I currently own a pair of 1.6's that I purchased in 2001 that are still working perfectly, along with 1.7's , a CC3 and a pair of MMG's all bought in 2010.
I've read that if you have direct sun on the Maggies they dry out and delaminate.
oneartist is offline  
post #4876 of 4887 Unread 03-17-2017, 12:37 PM
Newbie
 
DigitalShaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by strindl View Post
I'm wondering about the longevity of yours as you mentioned you had a couple that needed service at some point.
I don't know what happened? Unlucky I guess. It's been too long since the SMGa's I don't remember how they failed. With the MGLR's I came home one day put on some music and noticed right away that the high end was gone. I replaced the fuses and things were better until I turned up the volume and I started hearing a crackling/buzzing sound on big hits like an explosion in a movie. I'm not sure if the blown fuse and delam are related, but they appeared at the same time. No one in the house has fessed up to blasting the speakers and I think I believe them. I'm guessing maybe there was some kind spike that caused the damage? I tend to leave the Bryston on all the time.
DigitalShaman is offline  
post #4877 of 4887 Unread 03-17-2017, 01:06 PM
Newbie
 
DigitalShaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneartist View Post
I've read that if you have direct sun on the Maggies they dry out and delaminate.
Hmm... The one speaker that delammed was closest to the window and air vent, but that window faces west and really never has direct sunlight on the speaker.
DigitalShaman is offline  
post #4878 of 4887 Unread 03-17-2017, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
strindl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 543
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalShaman View Post
Whew I made it through just about this whole thread. I did skip over a few pages. I started reading it 3 weeks ago when I ordered a pair of .7s. These are my 3rd pair of Maggies. I bought my first pair, SMGa's around 1984. It was Michael Hedges Breakfast in the Field that sealed it for me. The sound of that recording was just stunning.

Marc

After seeing your mention of Michael Hedges, I had to spend an hour or so listening to some of his recordings..it had been a while since I did that. I love his music..his guitar playing is distinctive enough that I can generally know it's him even when I'm not familiar with the recording. He makes use of the entire guitar..the body, the neck, everything in order to produce his unique style. I've got a bunch of his CD's ripped to my music server and every one of them sounds wonderful, especially on Magnepans. He died way too soon.

I have a laserdisc of him performing on stage that I haven't watched I bet for a decade or more. I need to watch that again tonight, to see if it's as good as I remember it being. He played an instrument during that concert that I had never even heard of before. It's called a Harp Guitar.

I can understand your experience hearing that recording on Magnepans for the first time. I bet most of us have a specific recording that made us fall in love with the Magnepan sound. For me, it was 1978 hearing Joan Baez singing Diamonds and Rust on Magnepan Tympani 1D's at Audio Emporium in Milwaukee Wisconsin.
stustan and DigitalShaman like this.

Main system: Thiel 3.6 L/R speakers, Pair of Velodyne F1500r subs, B&W HTM center, Emotiva and Polk RTi 28 surrounds, Integra DHC 9.9 pre/proc, Pair of Emotiva XPA-1's, Emotiva XPA-5, Threshold SA/4e, pair of Threshold S/200's, Oracle Delphi TT w Magnepan Unitrac 1 arm and Shure V15 - Vmr, Logitech Squeezebox Touch, Oppo BDP 83 optical disc player, Threshold T2 preamp, Denon DR-M44HX cassette, Pioneer CLD-97 Laserdisc. LG PF1500 led projector,Elite 100"tab tension-ed motorized screen.
strindl is offline  
post #4879 of 4887 Unread 03-21-2017, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
ghstudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am currently running a pair of MMG's with a denon 4311 A/V processor and I'm looking around for a pair of 1.7/1.7i's to give me a bit (or perhaps a lot) better sound. I'm confused about amplifiers and the 1.7's. From this thread, it's clear that they will sound best though a tube amp...as will most every speaker...but that's lots of $'s. The use is 95% home theater played at less than 75db....my wife doesn't like loud.

I've read that the MacIntosh SS amps will and won't work well (yes, depends on which post you read). As a pack rat, I seem to collect gear that I no longer use so I have a choice of amps I could use with the 1.7's, assuming I find a pair at a reasonable price which I've pegged at $1000 or so. I have the Denon 4311 (140W/channel), an NHT Power5 (Class D 200W per channel), an ATI 1502 (150W per channel) and a MacIntosh 2505 (50W per channel). Of course all the power ratings are measured differently...but those are the official ratings.

The 1.7's can apparently go down to 1 ohm or less and all of the amps will only handle down to 4 ohm loads....is this an issue I should worry about?

Which amp would you use with the 1.7's...the Denon sounds fine on the MMG's, should I expect the same with the 1.7's? I guess I should ask which of my amps you would recommend with my MMG's....(I've just been too lazy to compare them since the Denon sounds very good).

For completeness, the denon is calibrated with audyssey Pro (I have the pro kit). My other speakers are a Martin Logan C2 center, James EMB-1200 sub, and NHT Super One rears. Audyssey really does work blending all these speakers together. I haven't yet decided if the C2 adds anything to the sound....it seems to depend on the source material.

Now I'm ready for everyone's advice/thoughts....
ghstudio is offline  
post #4880 of 4887 Unread 03-21-2017, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
SmittyJS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern U.S.
Posts: 696
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghstudio View Post
From this thread, it's clear that they will sound best though a tube amp...as will most every speaker
I don't think that's clear at all. Tube amplifiers can add distortion. Some people prefer it and some don't. Do a blind test before you spend a ton of money.
dlynch34 and oneartist like this.
SmittyJS is offline  
post #4881 of 4887 Unread 03-21-2017, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
dlynch34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Winter Garden, FL
Posts: 645
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJS View Post
I don't think that's clear at all. Tube amplifiers can add distortion. Some people prefer it and some don't. Do a blind test before you spend a ton of money.
Amp preference is subjective.. more important is speaker placement and room treatments. The amp needs to have power to drive these but once you have achieved that then it comes down to personal preference on brand etc.. Right now I am using a Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Five-Channel Power Amplifier on my 3.7is and find it satisfying.

Don
Marantz AV8802a,Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Five-Channel Power Amplifier, Emotiva XPA-1l x2,Outlaw 5000. Rhythmik DIY 15inch x2, Plus, Magnapan 3.7i, Magnepan CC5,Magnepan MC1,JVC RS400, DIY 125" 2:35 Elite Screen cinegray 3d .
dlynch34 is offline  
post #4882 of 4887 Unread 03-21-2017, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dsrussell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Corona, CA.
Posts: 5,807
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2232 Post(s)
Liked: 3030
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghstudio View Post
I am currently running a pair of MMG's with a denon 4311 A/V processor and I'm looking around for a pair of 1.7/1.7i's to give me a bit (or perhaps a lot) better sound. I'm confused about amplifiers and the 1.7's. From this thread, it's clear that they will sound best though a tube amp...as will most every speaker...but that's lots of $'s. The use is 95% home theater played at less than 75db....my wife doesn't like loud.

I've read that the MacIntosh SS amps will and won't work well (yes, depends on which post you read). As a pack rat, I seem to collect gear that I no longer use so I have a choice of amps I could use with the 1.7's, assuming I find a pair at a reasonable price which I've pegged at $1000 or so. I have the Denon 4311 (140W/channel), an NHT Power5 (Class D 200W per channel), an ATI 1502 (150W per channel) and a MacIntosh 2505 (50W per channel). Of course all the power ratings are measured differently...but those are the official ratings.

The 1.7's can apparently go down to 1 ohm or less and all of the amps will only handle down to 4 ohm loads....is this an issue I should worry about?

Which amp would you use with the 1.7's...the Denon sounds fine on the MMG's, should I expect the same with the 1.7's? I guess I should ask which of my amps you would recommend with my MMG's....(I've just been too lazy to compare them since the Denon sounds very good).

For completeness, the denon is calibrated with audyssey Pro (I have the pro kit). My other speakers are a Martin Logan C2 center, James EMB-1200 sub, and NHT Super One rears. Audyssey really does work blending all these speakers together. I haven't yet decided if the C2 adds anything to the sound....it seems to depend on the source material.

Now I'm ready for everyone's advice/thoughts....
There are a lot of “audiophile” misconceptions (as one reviewer pointed out, B.S.) that have been around for decades and never seems to go away. I have a 38 year-old McIntosh amp that drives my 3.6 Maggies to the sound level I prefer, and then some. Oh, if I decided I needed 3 dB more of headroom, I’d be looking at a 400 watt/channel amp. I suggest you use whatever you have or like and see what happens. After all, your amp drove the MMG’s just fine. AFAIK, none of the Maggies dip that low in their impedance rating. It’s more like 3 Ohms. The Martin Logan ESL’s I had auditioned (and really liked) did have an impedance that reached around 1 Ohm, but that was only at the very high frequencies and nothing to cause concern.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
dsrussell is offline  
post #4883 of 4887 Unread 03-21-2017, 10:28 AM
Member
 
oneartist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Central CA
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
There are a lot of “audiophile” misconceptions (as one reviewer pointed out, B.S.) that have been around for decades and never seems to go away. I have a 38 year-old McIntosh amp that drives my 3.6 Maggies to the sound level I prefer, and then some. Oh, if I decided I needed 3 dB more of headroom, I’d be looking at a 400 watt/channel amp. I suggest you use whatever you have or like and see what happens. After all, your amp drove the MMG’s just fine. AFAIK, none of the Maggies dip that low in their impedance rating. It’s more like 3 Ohms. The Martin Logan ESL’s I had auditioned (and really liked) did have an impedance that reached around 1 Ohm, but that was only at the very high frequencies and nothing to cause concern.
I decided to do a listening test to see which amps worked best with my 3.6 Maggies. I bought many used amps: Butler hybrid tube/solid state, McIntosh MC2205, balanced class A amps that were like heaters, and a custom built Odyssey Stratus by Claus. The MC2205 was a close 2nd but the Stratus had more detail and richness that put it at the top. Claus tells me that he has built dual mono amps for bi-amping the 3.6 that work really well. I believe him since my single Stratus sounds so good now. I'll make the move after I save awhile. I can't imagine a tube amp sounding any better than my Stratus since it sounds like real live people are in the room and how to you make real live people any more alive.
oneartist is offline  
post #4884 of 4887 Unread 03-21-2017, 12:19 PM
Senior Member
 
PRO710HD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: NW Chicago Burbs
Posts: 449
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Adding my .03

I'm running my brand new 1.7i's with a used Aragon 8008x3 solid state class A/AB amp (400 watts into 4 ohms and runs hot like KRELLs) and it drives them with ease.

To my ears they sound no less than AMAZING. As stated earlier, totally subjective to YOUR ears...
PRO710HD is offline  
post #4885 of 4887 Unread 03-21-2017, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DonH50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Monument CO
Posts: 9,773
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1883 Post(s)
Liked: 1415
I don't think 1.7's dip below 1 ohm though I could be wrong. If they do it would be at the very highest frequencies which are lowest in amplitude so most amps should be OK. The ribbon in the larger models does dip below 3 ohms (2.5 ~ 2.7 ohms). The way they are designed the impedance is pretty flat, just some slight dips around the crossover frequencies and rolloff at high frequencies, and mostly resistive. Pretty benign, albeit low, impedance for an amp to drive so they do mate well with tubes. The big problems are low impedance to control those big panels and getting enough power (which may or may not matter to you).

I loved the midrange using a tube amp, the highs were OK to a little strident depending upon the amp and speaker model, and bass more bloated. A SS amp did not provide that same euphonic midrange but bass was much tighter and very highest frequencies (that I likely can no longer hear). Ultimately I bi-amped with a hybrid (tube in, SS out) bass amp and tube mid/tweeter amp for many years. The bass amp (Counterpoint SA-220) was not as deep and "tight" as a big SS amp (e.g. Krell, ML, Threshold) but blended better with the tube amp I had (ARC D-79) so I ran with it. Coming back to them I stuck with SS as I really like the bass much better and the panels are cleaner driven by a big low-impedance output SS amp. They also need some power since they are not efficient speakers and power is much cheaper with a SS amp.

FWIWFM, IME/IMO, YMMV, etc. - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
DonH50 is offline  
post #4886 of 4887 Unread 03-21-2017, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
ghstudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for the quick responses.....and I'm now confident that one of my amps will be likely work well or at least adequately well. I guess I confused Martin Logan's with Maggies on the very low impedance....I think any of the amps should be able to handle the occasional 3 ohm load at least for short periods of time. Now the ebay/craigslist watch starts. In the meantime, I'm going to play with Audyssey because flat to audyssey is too bright for my aging ears. The WAF means the speakers aren't going to move although the sub might go wireless to give me a little flexibility
ghstudio is offline  
post #4887 of 4887 Unread Today, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DonH50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Monument CO
Posts: 9,773
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1883 Post(s)
Liked: 1415
Yes a number of ESLs dip below 2 ohms at very high frequencies, some below 1 ohm. Some big ribbons do as well, probably the best example being the (in)famous original Apogees that were 1 ohm nominal.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
DonH50 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Magnepan , Magnepan Mmg , Magnepan Mini Maggie System , Magnepan Mg 1 7 , Magnepan Mg 3 7



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off