The Official Magnepan Owners Thread - Page 163 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 185Likes

post #4861 of 4868 Old 02-22-2017, 10:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1816 Post(s)
Liked: 1352
You can place dipoles close to a side wall; they do not radiate much directly to the sides (or top/bottom). I think you could make the larger models work and be much happier with the sound. The little MMG's, with very limited listening time, sounded drastically different (worse) to me than the larger models.

FWIWFM - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4862 of 4868 Old 02-23-2017, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Budget amp choices for MMG

Hi folks,

I'm in the planning stages of dipping my toes in the hi-fi water (call me a complete rookie), and I've got my heart set on a pair of MMGs. I know it's best not to cheap out on an amp to drive them, but I'm wondering what my options are for an appropriate amp setup with as big a bang-to-buck ratio as possible. I've heard folks recommending some NAD integrated amps (C326BEE, C356BEE) as well as a couple from Peachtree, but I'm completely out of my depth for making any such decisions and have no Maggie dealers in my area (Winnipeg, Canada) to ask for advice or to provide me with a listen. So I'm hoping that you all might have some wisdom for me. Any suggestions? I'd be building the system from scratch, but as simply as possible.

Thanks!
post #4863 of 4868 Old 02-23-2017, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The biggest bang for buck amps are probably the Crown XLS series. I have not heard them on Maggies but they are well-regarded on AVS. Are you looking for a power amp or integrated? What do you have now?

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley

post #4864 of 4868 Old 02-23-2017, 08:19 PM

I'd probably go integrated, just because it seems simplest and I don't want to end up with a forest of components. I am looking to build an audio system from the ground up, having no components to start with. I've seen the MMG's glowingly reviewed everywhere, so I figured I'd see what it would take to put together a system around them. Crown XLS, hey? Thanks for the start!
post #4865 of 4868 Old 02-23-2017, 09:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

What do you plan for source material? Will this be a music-only system or HT/mixed-use? Do you want a receiver (with an AM/FM tuner) or just a basic integrated amplifier (preamp/amp)? Budget?

post #4866 of 4868 Old Yesterday, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tduck1 View Post
Hi folks,

I'm in the planning stages of dipping my toes in the hi-fi water (call me a complete rookie), and I've got my heart set on a pair of MMGs. I know it's best not to cheap out on an amp to drive them, but I'm wondering what my options are for an appropriate amp setup with as big a bang-to-buck ratio as possible. I've heard folks recommending some NAD integrated amps (C326BEE, C356BEE) as well as a couple from Peachtree, but I'm completely out of my depth for making any such decisions and have no Maggie dealers in my area (Winnipeg, Canada) to ask for advice or to provide me with a listen. So I'm hoping that you all might have some wisdom for me. Any suggestions? I'd be building the system from scratch, but as simply as possible.

Thanks!
I am trying to get the best of both worlds (HT and 2 channel). My plan is to have the MMG or .7 (leaning to MMG) for the fronts and MMGW for the rear.

I have only done a little research on the Crown line of amps (do seem to have a great price point) but for not much more I plan to go with the Outlaw 975 and a pair of Outlaw 2200's for the fronts. For the price the Crown 1002 might be a good option for me for the rears.

Of course my mind will change at will before I actually make the purchase.
post #4867 of 4868 Old Yesterday, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
What do you plan for source material? Will this be a music-only system or HT/mixed-use? Do you want a receiver (with an AM/FM tuner) or just a basic integrated amplifier (preamp/amp)? Budget?
I expect to use the system almost exclusively for music either directly from a MacBook Pro or streamed through Apple TV. I have no need for a tuner, though, so a simple integrated amp will do fine. I don't have a specific budget at the moment. I'm hoping to get a bead on what some options are for worthy components and then see if I can find them used or on sale. Do you think it's possible to put something together for around $1500 + the speakers?
post #4868 of 4868 Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You'd be better off posting in the receiver subforum; you'll get a lot more and probably better advice. I am not really competent as I have not heard most the gear you would likely choose. A quick look at the Crutchfield site (happened to be looking there for something else) reveals a number of sub-$1500 integrated amplifiers so I am sure there are a number to choose from. My guess is yo ucould fnd something for $1000 or less that would work fine with the MMGs (or .7's). You might want to step up to the .7's, or 1.7's (or used 1.6's), and spend a little less on the integrated amp.

http://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearc...amplifier.html -- I couldn't seem to make the link work...

You could also ping the folk at AVS Sales.

HTH - Don

Last edited by DonH50; Yesterday at 07:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Magnepan , Magnepan Mmg , Magnepan Mini Maggie System , Magnepan Mg 1 7 , Magnepan Mg 3 7